• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MULTIZ321 Please Stop Posting News

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the votes of confidence. I will continue to post articles of general interest.

Richard

Thank you for posting the articles Richard. I read some, I skip some. I have found many that are interesting/informative to me. Please keep them coming.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It COULD be MUCH worse. There used to be a member- a woman from (iirc) Ohio who posted almost daily articles from Fox News. She apparently got tired of my calling her out on it and disappeared.
So it is okay to bully someone else until they disappear when they post articles of a viewpoint that you disagree with? We get it, you don't like Fox News. You have mentioned this MANY times before. There are others that think that some of the sources that Richard gets his articles from are very suspect. I don't see him "called out on it", unless you count this thread. Though he also doesn't post political articles. I am all for open debate and this topic does come up from time to time. I see both sides. There were times when over half of the first page in the TUG Lounge are these news articles. That is a bit much IMO. I just ignore them for the most part and move on. Though from time to time there is something interesting to me.

Last edited:

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I disagree. Multiz has posted MANY interesting articles which have been read by MANY Tuggers. Some educational - some entertaining. You might want to click the "Ignore" button and let the rest of the site enjoy his discoveries.:rolleyes:

This, times 1000.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can see both sides. I wish he'd paraphrase or quote a few lines as a teaser instead of just duplicating the headline, and many of the linked articles lead to a paywall. OTOH if I was truly irritated, it's easy enough to put them on 'ignore'. I take the middle road and just pass on most of them. And I subscribe to several of the same sites and periodicals as he does, so our interests are similar.

It COULD be MUCH worse. There used to be a member- a woman from (iirc) Ohio who posted almost daily articles from Fox News. She apparently got tired of my calling her out on it and disappeared.

Jim

I enjoy the posts and as noted many, many, times, if they don't interest me I move on. That goes for any posting and not just the ones by MULTIZ321, even if we don't subscribe to the same sites and periodicals. Which I'm sure we don't.

And do you really want to call someone out until they leave?

Should anyone be limited as to how much they post or what they post about?

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
As so many others have said, Richard's posts cover an amazingly broad range of topics from a large number of sources. Do I read them all? No. But I do at least check out most of them, even if I may not read the entire article. Many of them are topics I would not have otherwise come across.

And yes, the paywall-restricted articles are sometimes annoying. For those, I just Google the topic and can usually find another source without the restriction. Another vote for keeping up the good work, Richard...and for making TUG more interesting. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I enjoy reading these, please keep them coming

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
This is a bit off topic, but still (at least somewhat) related.....I recall starting a thread a few months (or more perhaps) ago to/about Richard and what seemed to be a growing tendency for him to post links to articles located behind paywalls. I'm bringing this up again NOT to bash Richard rather to note how it seems the use of subscription required for access websites seems to be spreading among media outlets. I do not and will not pay to access media on the website BUT the fact this practice is spreading suggests either one of two possibilities: either the subscription model is profitable for a growing number of companies OR the subscription model is one of those last gasp at revenue measures a company takes in order to survive.

Whatever the reason the subscription required for access trend seems to be increasing, I'm curious how many TUG'gers actually pay for access to online media content AND (if you do) what media outlet you actually pay to access?

With respect to Richard, my only suggestion was to avoid pay required for access websites - but given the trend noted above, that may be next to impossible!
I do want to say thank you to Richard though because without him, I might have missed the story about the recovered U.S. colonel's body being flown home to Dallas by his son this week. In the maelstrom of (mostly) garbage we have to endure from today's media, that story should have been front page news on every media outlet in this country. Without Richard's efforts, it is quite likely I would have missed that story - thank you, Richard!

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do not pay for any online media sources at this time.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not and will not pay to access media on the website BUT the fact this practice is spreading suggests either one of two possibilities: either the subscription model is profitable for a growing number of companies OR the subscription model is one of those last gasp at revenue measures a company takes in order to survive.

Before You Put Up a Paywall, Read This Study
https://www.ama.org/2019/03/07/before-you-put-up-a-paywall-read-this-study/

Seems to break down the cause and effect very well.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I do not and will not pay to access media on the website

If we don’t pay for news, how do you imagine these companies will stay in business? Ads alone don’t always produce enough revenue, and that was tried for many years online. Do you want them to stay in business?

Whatever the reason the subscription required for access trend seems to be increasing, I'm curious how many TUG'gers actually pay for access to online media content AND (if you do) what media outlet you actually pay to access?

I pay for multiple news subscriptions. I’m glad I do. I want to support a free press by encouraging them to stay in business and report the news. Not drama. Not fiction. Not blogs that anyone can publish. News.

I think it’s our responsibility to support the press. But that’s me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geoand

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If we don’t pay for news, how do you imagine these companies will stay in business? Ads alone don’t always produce enough revenue, and that was tried for many years online. Do you want them to stay in business?

I pay for multiple news subscriptions. I’m glad I do. I want to support a free press by encouraging them to stay in business and report the news. Not drama. Not fiction. Not blogs that anyone can publish. News.

ME TOO!!!!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I choose to pay for news. REAL news. Not tainted by advertising or blogging, or subject to editorializing. Give it to me raw, and complete, and let me draw my own conclusions. The annoying ones (for me) are those that lock you out before you even know anything about them. Let me have a limited number of accesses before I hit a paywall. I'll join (and pay) in good time if the content has value to me.

Jim

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

There are many so called media outlets that I do wish would simply go away because what they practice bears little resemblance to journalism. In a perfect world, all we would really need are organizations like the Associated Press, UPI or Reuters to cover the state, national and international news in a matter-of-fact type of approach.

The problem is more severe on the local front - at least in our area of the country. Local newspapers used to fill a significant role within a community but that is no longer true. When merger after acquisition means local newspapers are now more likely controlled by some cooperation six states removed, and the same newspaper places content behind a pay wall AND systematically fails to cover local news that newspaper has failed to fulfill its essentially mission.

It's not that I disagree with your point here Ken, rather the notion of 'supporting' media outlets most likely means your (the consumer's) money ends up with Gannett while at the same time Gannett streamlines the local paper even more toward less local news coverage (if not eliminating it entirely).

I'd love to support a newspaper - does one even exist anymore? I certainly do not trust 99% of what is currently offered as news.

Out of curiosity, may I ask what type of media outlets you subscribe to? Are they more local in nature or nationally based?
The reason I ask this question is that I suspect you live in a much more urban area of the country than I do. A significant portion of my dissatisfaction with the press comes from their abandonment of covering local news.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Some days the only exercise I get is hauling my butt up out of my favorite chair to walk across the house to Cliff's office to hand him my iPad with a Richard posting! I particularly like the updates on the reconstruction of Notre Dame and disappearance of the Indonesian airliner.

riverdees05

TUG Member
Reaction score
I enjoy reading a lot of Multiz321 posts. Great information and it would be difficult to find many of them. Thanks!

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
He has an agenda at times I'd have to say, when he's against something, he endlessly posts articles that complain about whatever it is and never stops, and never posts anything positive when that happens. But, I suppose we all do, yes, even your news sources. As others have said, ignore them if you don't like them, or, get annoyed at times like me but oh well. I'll live and I definitely like some of them.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
There are many so called media outlets that I do wish would simply go away because what they practice bears little resemblance to journalism. In a perfect world, all we would really need are organizations like the Associated Press, UPI or Reuters to cover the state, national and international news in a matter-of-fact type of approach.

Sadly, those companies are not the companies you think they are any longer.

The problem is more severe on the local front - at least in our area of the country. Local newspapers used to fill a significant role within a community but that is no longer true. When merger after acquisition means local newspapers are now more likely controlled by some cooperation six states removed, and the same newspaper places content behind a pay wall AND systematically fails to cover local news that newspaper has failed to fulfill its essentially mission.

It's not that I disagree with your point here Ken, rather the notion of 'supporting' media outlets most likely means your (the consumer's) money ends up with Gannett while at the same time Gannett streamlines the local paper even more toward less local news coverage (if not eliminating it entirely).

Sure, losing local focus has been a consequence of faster, easier, and cheaper communication, among other factors. I’ve never really enjoyed local “news” (which typically wasn’t news, anyway, but rather local social articles, crime activity, some amateurish reporting of local politics). I’ve always tended to focus on national and international news (I even read several foreign news sites regularly, and their perspective is quite different than ours).

I'd love to support a newspaper - does one even exist anymore?

I subscribe to what newspapers have evolved into...their online edition. I’ve always hated newsprint, and I used to read two to three papers daily while in college (for several reasons).

I certainly do not trust 99% of what is currently offered as news.

Trust and lack of belief is our news is certainly part of the disinformation campaign propagated by many. I always tell everyone to confirm anything questionable themselves by reading multiple sources (and sometimes that’s not even enough). We need to solve this issue... and I’m going to stop this paragraph here since we shouldn’t be discussing this topic any further on TUG.

Out of curiosity, may I ask what type of media outlets you subscribe to? Are they more local in nature or nationally based?
The reason I ask this question is that I suspect you live in a much more urban area of the country than I do. A significant portion of my dissatisfaction with the press comes from their abandonment of covering local news.

I’ve subscribed to local (for my city), national and international news sources. I read free and paid sources. Some have much more credibility than others, and I tend to avoid those news sources which are “news” in name only...and I’m referring to those publications which have repeatedly and consistently mislead their audience, posted corrections after the fact (which few read), have “experts” who truly aren’t, etc.

I watched the movie “Good Night, and Good Luck” (from 2005) this week and thought it was a very timely reminder. If you haven’t seen it, I recommend it highly.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those interested.

How to Get Around Newspaper Paywalls in 2019
https://medium.com/black-edge-consulting/how-to-bypass-virtually-every-news-paywall-705602c4c2ce

Anyway, why would I pay any news publication to read an article when that same information is available elsewhere for free? Facts are, national current event news is interchangeable, regardless of the source. If they need more revenue, let them charge their advertisers more, not their readers.

By the way, if you want local news, go to the local TV station's website for free.

Isn't it enough that we're forced, on many sites, to disable any ad blocking settings? Which of course, is an entirely separate issue. ;)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of the sites which require subscription offers x free views per month before it is blocked. I simply clear my cookies and I get access again.

Status
Not open for further replies.