• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Comparing Vistana Ski Options

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I see 4 ski resorts in Colorado:
  1. Steamboat
  2. Westin Riverfront
  3. Sheraton Lakeside
  4. Sheraton Mountain Vista
How would you rank these resorts for a 1bdrm/studio/hotel stay during peak ski season? (we don't need a 2 bdrm) Considering proximity to lifts, airports, quality of resort, quality and size of hot tubs to accommodate guests, proximity to restaurants etc

We would be trading in SOs, so a sense of SO availability would be helpful. I see a lot of Steamboat and SMV in the system but not sure if this is typical.

Lastly, it appears that flying into Eagle is the best airport for all of these resorts instead of Denver Int'l and drive? If you fly into Eagle, do you need to rent a car?

Last edited:

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been to Steamboat but for skiing Beaver Creek there is a clear best ranking:

Westin Riverfront, then SMV, then Lakeside. Riverfront is difficult to get into at the 8 month window. SMV not difficult.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been 5 times to Avon and always driven from Denver due to flight cost. I always rent a car because I want to be able to easily go to Walmart and the Liquor Store plus some of the restaurants in Edwards ... and maybe the special stores as well ;)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
I see 4 ski resorts in Colorado:
  1. Steamboat
  2. Westin Riverfront
  3. Sheraton Lakeside
  4. Sheraton Mountain Vista
How would you rank these resorts for a 1bdrm/studio/hotel stay during peak ski season? (we don't need a 2 bdrm) Considering proximity to lifts, airports, quality of resort, quality and size of hot tubs to accommodate guests, proximity to restaurants etc

We would be trading in SOs, so a sense of SO availability would be helpful. I see a lot of Steamboat and SMV in the system but not sure if this is typical.

Lastly, it appears that flying into Eagle is the best airport for all of these resorts instead of Denver Int'l and drive? If you fly into Eagle, do you need to rent a car?
I’d love to get Riverfront ski week but have yet to get one. I saw yesterday late March early April available. But I’d put that as the top resort followed by Sheraton Mountain Vista.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I have been 5 times to Avon and always driven from Denver due to flight cost. I always rent a car because I want to be able to easily go to Walmart and the Liquor Store plus some of the restaurants in Edwards ... and maybe the special stores as well ;)

I can't speak as to ski season airfare but we found this summer that the July airfare to Eagle County/Vail (EGE) was only $50 more per person than the airfare to Denver. That $50 was well worth it to avoid the extra driving from DEN to Westin Riverfront.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
These resorts are all very different so it's hard to rank them and any ranking is all in the eye of the beholder depending on what you are wanting to do. Having stayed at Riverfront, Mountain Vista and Steamboat I can shed some light on them. Two of them are ski in/out and two of them are not. As a skier, I would rank the resorts in this order: 1) Westin Riverfront 2) Sheraton Steamboat 3) Sheraton Mountain Vista and 4) Lakeside Terrace. Westin Riverfront is a Westin quality nice property and you can take the gondola right up to Beaver Creek and can check your skis at the resort. Sheraton Steamboat has a ski lift right outside the main tower. Sheraton Mountain Vista has grills on each balcony but you have to either walk to Riverfront or take a shuttle. Lakeside Terrace is further down the street from Mountain Vista and a walk or shuttle is also necessary. One benefit it has is complimentary access to the rec center next door which has indoor water facilities. There is no free parking at Riverfront, only valet, which could cost you a sizable sum per day. There is free onsite parking at all the other resorts.

I hope that helps!

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
There is no free parking at Riverfront, only valet, which could cost you a sizable sum per day. There is free onsite parking at all the other resorts.

I hope that helps!

Actually Westin Riverfront Villas (the timeshare) has free parking if you park it yourself. There are designated locations in the parking garage for the villas and you use your villa key to access this area. If you valet park it is $32/day which is also the charge at the hotel.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

FWIW, I was flying into Eagle years ago after connecting in Denver and though it was a clear and beautiful winter day in Denver they wouldn't let us leave due to winds. We were stuck at the airport all day until they finally chartered a bus at 8pm to get us to Steamboat. I'd fly to Eagle again but be prepared just in case. I've visited many times and all but one flew to Denver and rented a car due to the price difference (both flight cost and significant rental car price difference).

Also FWIW, I've had excellent results in obtaining December ski weeks in Breckenridge via II (2 and 3-bed units for a 1-bed SDO) at Grand Timber Lodge (ski-in/ski-out). I haven't used my SOs in Colorado at all yet.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I was flying into Eagle years ago after connecting in Denver and though it was a clear and beautiful winter day in Denver they wouldn't let us leave due to winds. We were stuck at the airport all day until they finally chartered a bus at 8pm to get us to Steamboat. I'd fly to Eagle again but be prepared just in case. I've visited many times and all but one flew to Denver and rented a car due to the price difference (both flight cost and significant rental car price difference).

Also FWIW, I've had excellent results in obtaining December ski weeks in Breckenridge via II (2 and 3-bed units for a 1-bed SDO) at Grand Timber Lodge (ski-in/ski-out). I haven't used my SOs in Colorado at all yet.

How did you like Grand Timber Lodge ... we did Peak 7 last year and it was awesome (other than horrible lift lines for Peak 7 chairs).

Beaver Creek never has any lift lines ... it is amazing.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
How did you like Grand Timber Lodge ... we did Peak 7 last year and it was awesome (other than horrible lift lines for Peak 7 chairs).

I've been there several times over many years, and it's consistently good. I believe their newer property at 7 is nicer, but I haven't stayed there. I think GTL is a bit dated (though they may have renovated since I was there) but otherwise it's in a great location.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The gondola in front of the Westin typically doesn't open until the week of Christmas or the week before if the snow is good. It also closes down at least a week before Beaver Creek closes.

2 and 3 bedrooms are a bit more common at the Grand Timber Lodge, but if you're ok staying in a one bedroom there is often good availability (using an ongoing search) at both Grand Lodge on Peak 7 and Grand Colorado on Peak 8. The Grand Colorado on Peak 8 is the nicer of the two as it is newer. It also has the better location.

I really like all of the Hyatts in Colorado as well.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
The gondola in front of the Westin typically doesn't open until the week of Christmas or the week before if the snow is good. It also closes down at least a week before Beaver Creek closes.

2 and 3 bedrooms are a bit more common at the Grand Timber Lodge, but if you're ok staying in a one bedroom there is often good availability (using an ongoing search) at both Grand Lodge on Peak 7 and Grand Colorado on Peak 8. The Grand Colorado on Peak 8 is the nicer of the two as it is newer. It also has the better location.

I really like all of the Hyatts in Colorado as well.

Do you think a studio or one bedroom at SVV Key West or Bella would pull one bedrooms at these properties consistently in II?

Last edited:

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you think a studio or one bedroom at SVV Key West or Bella would pull one bedrooms at these properties consistently in II?

I don't have any direct experience, but I think if you got a good TDI week the studio should be able to pull the 1 bedrooms at GP7, or GP8.

How many people are you going to accomodate? Is there a particular week that you need? If there's a particular week you need, I would imagine you could pull a 1 bedroom Grand Timber Lodge (GTL) with your studio.

Back in March / April of this year, you could get week 3 (MLK week) 2020 at both GP7 and GP8 in either the studio or 1 bedroom.

The studio units at both GP7 and GP8 are a little nicer than your standard studio unit. There is actually a separate door to the main sleeping area (king sized bed), and a queen sized sofa sleeper in the living room. There's a few burners (no oven), and we had no trouble prepping meals there. It's only about 450 sf or so, but it's pretty well designed.

The 1 bedroom units are a big step up as they are about twice the size. However, they still just sleep 4 people (King bed, and queen sized pull out).

One other thing to throw out there. The first week of April (I even like the second and third week of April) is actually a pretty good week for skiing in Colorado, and you can often get Getaways at either of those places with a few months notice ($300-$600). Sometimes AC's will pull those weeks in as well.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@travelhacker These sound great. It's just the two of us for skiing so a studio is fine but 1 bdrm is better.

Also good to know about April conditions and options. I was told something similar about Utah/Alta/Sunbird (but not sure about Park City because it is lower elevation.)

Which Hyatts do you recommend? Will an SVV pull those?

Last edited:

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@travelhacker It's just the two of us for skiing so a studio is fine but 1 bdrm is better.

Good to know about April conditions. I was told something similar about Utah/Alta/Sunbird but not sure about Park City because it is lower elevation.)

Which Hyatts do you recommend?

When I lived in Utah, I loved late season Park City (Alta / Snowbird were definitely better in the late season). However, Deer Valley never seemed to stay open past the first week in April, and once Vail Resorts bought Park City they started closing after the first week in April too. It's a shame, I have fond memories of skiing in t shirts on those last few days of the season.

Back to your question:
You'll love any Hyatt that you can book in Colorado. Because of the Hyatt Internal System, I think it's probably pretty hard to book anything via interval except for weeks 48-50, and 13-15. If all you need is a studio it's even harder, because I've never seen a studio unit at any Hyatt available (via interval). It's probably worth a shot to put it in an ongoing request and see if you can get something.

Just a quick recap on the Hyatts in Colorado:
1) Hyatt Main Street Station (HMS) in Breckenridge. While it's not on mountain (like GP7 or GP8), it's pretty dang close. You really only need to walk about 100 yards or so to get to the main base area. Rooms are about 1300 square feet and very nice. Studios are probably around 500 square feet.

2) Hyatt Mountain Lodge (HBK) in Beaver Creek. It's right across the street from the main village and during peak ski season you can technically pop into your skis and ski down to a lift, you can also ski back using a trail. Units are a little smaller (about 900 - 100 square feet). Surprisingly the studios are about 600 square feet. I really like this place, but wish the units were just a hair larger.

3) Hyatt Residence Club at Park Hyatt Beaver Creek (HRP). It's got the best location in all of Beaver Creek. It's part of the Park Hyatt that backs to the main lifts on the mountain. It's incredibly high end -- I don't think there's an equivalent in the Vistana system. 2 bedroom units are 1500-1700 square feet, and three bedroom units are 2100-2200 square feet.

4) Hyatt Grand Aspen (HYA). It's a great location in Aspen (right in downtown and a couple of blocks to the gondola) and very high end. There's just a couple of 2 bedroom units that are 1200 square feet, and most are between 1400-1800. If you're a good skiier, I think it would be a lot of fun to exchange into a 2 bedroom at this location for week 13 or 14 and ski at Ajax (nearly all black runs).

If you like skiing in Colorado, you may consider purchasing a Hyatt week resale. For example, a 2200 point week in Key West goes for around 6-9K, and that would get you 3 weeks in studio units at HYA, HMS, and HBK (no studios at HRP) during peak season.

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
@travelhacker : Really appreciate you sharing all this info. I spent week 51 and 52 last year at SMV. I had a great time skiing at Beaver Creek. Even the holiday crowds there were lower than regular weekend crowds at Northstar. I plan to go back there first or second week of April using II trades.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
@travelhacker : Really appreciate you sharing all this info. I spent week 51 and 52 last year at SMV. I had a great time skiing at Beaver Creek. Even the holiday crowds there were lower than regular weekend crowds at Northstar. I plan to go back there first or second week of April using II trades.

Beaver Creek estimated closing date is April 12, 2020 this year

ski_sierra

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Too many
Beaver Creek estimated closing date is April 12, 2020 this year

I'm confirmed for Marriott Marbella for next year and I have the Ikon pass next year so no Beaver Creek for me. Maybe 2021.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Good breakdown of these units. I am not much of a skier but love the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
BTW. Lakeside is only 2 bedroom units.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks all. This has been a very informative thread. Lots of options to consider especially if I add HGVC Breck and hotel points reservations. Considering an II trader so can go with what is available given scarcity during ski season. I can see that if we lived in Colorado would buy there but we are in Calif so Tahoe and SLC are easier travel options.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
[REDACTED: Per TUG policy - please post Exchange Company Sightings on the Sightings Forum. It's a benefit of TUG membership.]

Last edited by a moderator:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Thanks all. This has been a very informative thread. Lots of options to consider especially if I add HGVC Breck and hotel points reservations. Considering an II trader so can go with what is available given scarcity during ski season. I can see that if we lived in Colorado would buy there but we are in Calif so Tahoe and SLC are easier travel options.
I showed what I was able to see with a SVV lockout but didn’t know I couldn’t post that post here. I saw the same stuff with my lockout portion as I did with the whole two bedroom, using the lockout and paying the upgrade fee is better than losing the whole two bedroom to deposit. You can def get a trader unit and see ski weeks, which I honestly thought would have been difficult, so I’m pleasantly surprised. Most of the weeks I saw were end of March early April. I thought about buying a ski week but it seems I won’t need to know that I can deposit and get some available units. I was thinking of getting an SDO unit to trade but if the SVV I already have gets me ski weeks I’ll take it!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@CPNY Thanks for checking. Did you see any Hyatt, Grand Peak or MVC options in II? How do the II options compare to 5 night stay availability over ski weekends using SOs? We only go for 4-5 night stays so a week is overkill. But would take what we could get given the price and leave early. :)