• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

3 groceries you should always buy at Trader Joe's instead of Aldi

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau
I am curious if there are items that people specifically try to purchase at Aldi. For us, it's the FROZEN vegetables. I make a trip to Aldi every few weeks just to stock up on their bags of frozen veggies (the "steamer" ones that go into the microwave). We find that they taste fresher than the bags of frozen vegetables in our local supermarkets.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no idea where the nearest Aldi would even be. A long road trip, I suspect. TJ's at 2 hours- and 4 blocks from the second home is our go-to.

A little research shows it's roughly 1,000 miles to an Aldi. No danger of my choosing them over grocery discounters in the area.

By my own observation, There are some go-to items at TJ's that we go there for (Bagel, and 21 seasoning salute- their 'Dunkers', Chinese 5-spice salad, cheap wine and a few other- usually snack- items) but I can't imagine using TJ's as my basic grocery store. Please. Give me my Kroger, or Albertson's for day-to-day large selection, fresh produce and daily fresh in-store bakery.

Last edited:

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are just the opposite with an Aldi a few blocks away and trader joes is 45 minutes. We have had pretty good luck with Aldi produce, but check it over carefully.

We have found Aldi branded products very good. The only one I will not buy again off the top of my head is their mustard. On the other side the hamburger and salmon have been excellent.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I wish we had either within 10 miles of home. The nearest TJ's is about 18 miles away, and with Denver traffic, that is a LONG drive. It's not an easy or fun drive. No Aldi's in our state quite yet. Too bad because I love those stores.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Our Aldi’s and Trader Joe’s are a block apart. I go to Aldi’s only because my Mother loves to go. I don’t like it. I do love some of the cookies at both, but those at Aldi’s are less expensive. Aldi’s has a chocolate mint cookie that tastes like Girl Scout Thin Mints. Have had bad luck with sweet potatoes from Aldi’s. Most of all I dislike the service at Aldi’s. We have some very rude cashiers and one who stocks, steps in front of customers and drops boxes on the floor right in their paths.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't have TJs around us. The one and only time I went to check out ALDI I realized I needed a quarter to obtain a shopping cart. Not having one, I turned around and left, never been back. Is that a standard fee at all ALDIs?

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We do not have an Aldi. We have a Trader Joes but it's a little bit out of the way for me. Sometimes I will have my daughter pick up a few items I like there when she goes next door to the gym.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't have TJs around us. The one and only time I went to check out ALDI I realized I needed a quarter to obtain a shopping cart. Not having one, I turned around and left, never been back. Is that a standard fee at all ALDIs?

Yes. That is one of the annoyances you have to put up with for lower prices. We take in 2 reuseable bags and shop with them. One advantage to this is to slow down the impulse buys.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
The 25 cents is returned to you when you finish shopping. I think the cart-pay model was instituted to reduce theft of carts which it has.

My wife leaves a few quarters in the mid-console for when she shops at Aldi's (their Bagels are a fav at our house). It's not unusual for a shopper who is returning their cart to retrieve their quarter to instead give the cart to you and you can proceed to shop with the cart and get a free quarter or pass on their generosity to another new shopper.

Richard

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

If you go in and tell them you don't have a quarter, they will provide one to you. Just leave the cart at the checkout counter.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If there are only three items (perhaps there are a few more), I would rather just shop at Aldi. We used to live very close to an Aldi, now it is a little further away but still manageable as it is close by work. TJs is a long ways away now as it used to also be a fair drive back in Ohio. Not that it wasn't manageable, it was and now still is out of the way. I find Aldi has a great selection of just about everything we need and you simply can't beat their price on eggs or milk. Just stopped there this afternoon to pick up a few things.

There are a few times I have had problems with produce at Aldi, but that was years ago. In a lot of cases, the same truck that drops the produce off at the grocery store is the same one that stops at Aldi. The grocery store just takes them out of the cases and puts them on the display where in many cases, the box or case is the display at Aldi. Less work, so lower prices.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
If there are only three items (perhaps there are a few more), I would rather just shop at Aldi. We used to live very close to an Aldi, now it is a little further away but still manageable as it is close by work. TJs is a long ways away now as it used to also be a fair drive back in Ohio. Not that it wasn't manageable, it was and now still is out of the way. I find Aldi has a great selection of just about everything we need and you simply can't beat their price on eggs or milk. Just stopped there this afternoon to pick up a few things.

There are a few times I have had problems with produce at Aldi, but that was years ago. In a lot of cases, the same truck that drops the produce off at the grocery store is the same one that stops at Aldi. The grocery store just takes them out of the cases and puts them on the display where in many cases, the box or case is the display at Aldi. Less work, so lower prices.

I asked a soda sales driver of a branch national sodas that are sold in The Dollars Stores and he said they are same that they stock at major supermarkets. They just can sell more in volume at The Dollar Stores

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I asked a soda sales driver of a branch national sodas that are sold in The Dollars Stores and he said they are same that they stock at major supermarkets. They just can sell more in volume at The Dollar Stores
I expect that many private label (store brand) products are produced by a small number of companies. So the same "thin mint" cookies at Aldi may be the same ones they sell at Dollar General. Aldi actually has three "Girl Scout like" cookies that you can get year round!

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the bigger problem with the shopping carts is not just that the employee has to go all over the parking lot to retrieve them, they need to send someone with a truck to retrieve them from the neighborhood. It used to be a big problem here.

They did away with the quarter or the "key" now but some of them have the alarm/lock. It won't let you get past a certain perimeter of the parking lot.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
We moved from TJ and Aldi land to Safeway only town. First, many city Aldi stores have shopping baskets. I miss Aldi for German white and red sauerkraut in glass and for all Christmas gingerbread in December, however the nearest Aldi is about 500 miles east of us. TJ is about 30 miles and when we shop there we always get dark bread Pain Polaine, almond flour, nuts, dry unsweetened prunes, Brie cheese, French pastry sheets in November, and many more. I never shopped for fruits, veggies or meat at Aldi or TJ.