• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC New Purchase

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Even if there were no resale market, you still got a bad deal. You could have gotten to the third stage, with the closer who would have offered you $4-7k.
Actually, with HGVC it has been reported they do not deal on price, but what they will do is add more and more Bonus Points into the mix as an incentive. Bottom line, it is still a bad deal. ;)

Kurt

Montedk

Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice!

We mailed our rescission letter today, and will be doing some more research! We’re definitely still interested in HGVC and see ourselves becoming owners in the future, but I agree with you all that we need to do some more research first and keep an eye on resale properties.

Any advice on where to start looking and what questions to be asking as I begin to look into this more thoroughly?

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Any advice on where to start looking and what questions to be asking as I begin to look into this more thoroughly?

1. Read and follow this board. Daily, at least at first; and after that, often. There are some wonderful experts here on HGVC, who share their knowledge freely.

2. Read the general HGVC advice article here: https://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/hilton-grand-vacation-club-timeshare-information.html

3. Read the HGVC advice article, with lots of links to further advice, here: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...y-hilton-club-booking-window-overview.274977/

4. For detailed advice on the specific resorts in the system, look here: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...etailed-resort-affiliated-information.254931/

5. When you're ready to buy - and don't think you'll learn enough to be ready for several months - look back at AlwaysOnVac's previous answer to you. She provided links to two of the most often recommended resale brokers -- Judi Koz at http://www.judikoz.com and Seth Nock at http://www.sellingtimeshares.net.

If you follow all the links above, you'll be reading for weeks to come, trying to absorb information from a fire hose. Go back and re-read those links several times.

Good luck, take your time, and enjoy learning about the HGVC system.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Here are a couple of things that you will be needing to think about:

1. How many people will be traveling? (this will determine how big unit or number of points)
2. Can you travel anytime or limited to the school schedule? Are you planning to go to either Park City or Breckenridge during ski season?
3. How do you see yourself traveling (short 3/4 day trips or 1 week intervals) and for how often.
4. Where will you be traveling? (specific resort or booking HGVC in general).

Take your time on your research. There is much to learn. The thing that I didn't understand before I got into this is that making a reservation in HGVC (and I think any TS) isn't like booking a hotel. It will work best if you can plan ahead. For example, if you want to book Oahu, HI then you will need to book when the club season window opens (276 days before checkout). If you don't, then the best rooms will be taken.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are a couple of things that you will be needing to think about:

3. How do you see yourself traveling (short 3/4 day trips or 1 week intervals) and for how often.

Let me expand upon this one:

If you see yourself traveling for a full week, and can/want to book 12-9 months out, then specifically where you buy can matter because of the Home Week.

If you will not travel this way (shorter trips, booking later), then the location of the points don't matter as, at 276 days, points become points*. In this case, Vegas is a good place to look as the buy-in costs are reasonable and the Maintenance fee (MF) per point ratio tends to ebe about the best.

Cheers.

*An exception to this are the more expensive and more exclusive (access-wise) by Hilton Club (bHC) properties. They tend to be in Cities: New York, DC, more coming.

All of these topics are explored in detail in various threads. Welcome!

Cheers.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the advice!

We mailed our rescission letter today, and will be doing some more research! We’re definitely still interested in HGVC and see ourselves becoming owners in the future, but I agree with you all that we need to do some more research first and keep an eye on resale properties.

Click on the "MARKETPLACE" section at the top of this page (directly below "1993") and you will have a large selection of Timeshare resales, and it is an excellent place to start looking.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Let me expand upon this one:

If you see yourself traveling for a full week, and can/want to book 12-9 months out, then specifically where you buy can matter because of the Home Week.

If you will not travel this way (shorter trips, booking later), then the location of the points don't matter as, at 276 days, points become points*. In this case, Vegas is a good place to look as the buy-in costs are reasonable and the Maintenance fee (MF) per point ratio tends to ebe about the best.

Cheers.

*An exception to this are the more expensive and more exclusive (access-wise) by Hilton Club (bHC) properties. They tend to be in Cities: New York, DC, more coming.

All of these topics are explored in detail in various threads. Welcome!

Cheers.

I agree with the Vegas being the one of the best areas for points with the following exceptions: Flamingo 1 bedroom and any Trump Tower units. They both have high MF to point ratios.

A great spot to start looking for great MF to point ratios is this great spreadsheet @GT75 created that lists the best MF deals in the system. Also, read through some of the older threads and learn as much about how the system works. Good luck and don’t be a stranger.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
Check out EBAY.

Montedk

Reaction score
Perhaps I could find this information on another thread, but just curious what all your thoughts are on HGVC vs other timeshare programs? So far it seems that HGVC is very well liked and a good program, so is it worth researching all of the other timeshare programs individually? Are there certain ones that you'd specifically recommend I look into, and others that are definitely ones I can save some time and avoid researching altogether? Not that I'm not up for all the research, but don't want to waste my time looking into programs that nobody would recommend.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Perhaps I could find this information on another thread, but just curious what all your thoughts are on HGVC vs other timeshare programs? So far it seems that HGVC is very well liked and a good program, so is it worth researching all of the other timeshare programs individually? Are there certain ones that you'd specifically recommend I look into, and others that are definitely ones I can save some time and avoid researching altogether? Not that I'm not up for all the research, but don't want to waste my time looking into programs that nobody would recommend.

I think the main thing that distinguishes the programs are the locations. HGVC has a different list of areas they cover than, for example, Marriott. If you want locations in the Caribbean, Marriott offers more than HGVC. HGVC offers more options in Vegas and many more options on the Big Island of Hawaii. Marriott offers Kauai and West Maui; HGVC has nothing on Kauai, and their Maui location (under construction) will be in South Maui. HGVC offers many locations in Waikiki on Oahu; Marriott's Oahu location is way outside of the city at KoOlina.

So in my opinion, you need to look at the locations of the different systems first and see which one meets your travel wants and needs best. Then start looking at the structure of the systems.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Each one has their PROS and CONS.
Some of us own in multiple systems/programs instead of being limited to one :cool:

Here are some threads you might find helpful. In these threads folks shared their thoughts about the different systems/programs. But I suggest you start off with just one timeshare first.

Last edited:

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
I looked hard at Marriott and would have preferred it because of their locations and consistently top quality resorts, but they have a very high "points transfer fee" which when you add the fee to the price of a resale unit, the cost of acquisition is much higher than HGVC.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I looked hard at Marriott and would have preferred it because of their locations and consistently top quality resorts, but they have a very high "points transfer fee" which when you add the fee to the price of a resale unit, the cost of acquisition is much higher than HGVC.

Yes, i own HGV and have recently begun adding Marriott points to expand my locations, they have nice system but its more expensive.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Yes, i own HGV and have recently begun adding Marriott points to expand my locations, they have nice system but its more expensive.

We have done the same, only in reverse - started with Marriott because of their larger network in locations we frequent, then added HGVC because it filled in some nice gaps and was relatively cheap to buy and somewhat easier to use. The two systems actually complement each other very well, so much so that Marriott Vacations Worldwide's acquisition of the Westin and Sheraton timeshare programs won't really add that much for us if they ever decide to offer a combined Marriott/Westin/Sheraton program.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another possible alternative is to pick up something "cheap" that has Interval International access to gain access to the Marriott locations.
Granted, priority will be lower, but I think if you're flexible it'll be cheaper than buying a Marriott to stay at *other* Marriott's. It's a diff. story if you're buying Marriot Maui Ocean Club and planning to stay there most of the time. But if you're buying Marriott in Orlando to get access to other marriott's I think you're better off just exchanging into II with something else.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Another possible alternative is to pick up something "cheap" that has Interval International access to gain access to the Marriott locations.
Granted, priority will be lower, but I think if you're flexible it'll be cheaper than buying a Marriott to stay at *other* Marriott's. It's a diff. story if you're buying Marriot Maui Ocean Club and planning to stay there most of the time. But if you're buying Marriott in Orlando to get access to other marriott's I think you're better off just exchanging into II with something else.

The expense of owning Marriott to stay at Marriotts is specific to the Marriott Destination Club Points system. Even on the resale market, enough points to effectively use the points system will cost you $25K to $30K or more.

However, if you are content with the "deposit, search, hope" Interval International trading process, then there are plenty fairly cheap Marriotts you can buy for II trades. Since resale Marriott weeks still trade in II with priority into other Marriott locations (be can't convert to points), buying a "cheap" Marriott week is a better way to trade into other Marriotts than a "cheap" non-Marriott. Anyone who wants to consider that strategy should go over to the Marriott board and start asking questions. There are a lot of Marriott TUGgers who are very skilled at maximizing value out of relatively cheap Marriott traders and using lock-off units to get two weeks out of one unit. We own Marriott but don't trade in II because we don't like the uncertainty of trading and prefer to use points or use our Hawaii home weeks.

tpdgfmt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most (but not all) timeshares are interests in real estate. But buying a timeshare is more like buying a car than buying real estate. There are numerous makes and models. You can buy new or used. Most go down in value after your purchase. It would be difficult for one person to tell another to buy only Fords. Many of the participants in this discussion forum probably don’t even like Fords, or at least they like some other brands better. Or maybe they like Ford trucks but not Ford cars. Or maybe they would be satisfied with one Ford and one Chevrolet, or one Ford and one Toyota, etc. No two people are the same, and the number and variations of timeshare and vacation ownership plans in the marketplace is mind-boggling.

Hilton has been a great choice for me. I like its high-quality resorts and I like how the club works. Instead of a particular week every year at one resort, I can use my points for stays from 3 days to at least two weeks. I can stay in locations as diverse as Miami Beach, Orlando, Las Vegas, Myrtle Beach, Carlsbad, Honolulu, the Big Island, and more. The club is easy to use. Maintenance fees are not cheap, but my impression is that they are less than what is charged by Marriott, Westin, and Sheraton. Marriott has more locations than Hilton, but I’m not interested in staying at most of Marriott’s additional locations. Maintenance fees are generally more. It used to be that it wasn’t very easy to own a week at one Marriott resort and trade for another. I understand Marriott has made some improvements, but whether it has caught up to Hilton in that regard I will leave to others to discuss. I’m so “invested” in HGVC at this point that I would never consider buying a Marriott week. But there are others who contribute to this discussion forum that like to have two different cars in their garage. And anyone can go into TUG’s Marriott discussion forum to learn more about what Marriott offers.

Montedk, you almost purchased an every other year timeshare for $13,750.00 which requires spending $868 in maintenance fees every other year. I looked on sellingtimeshares.net, a respected HGVC reseller, and it has a listing for a two-bedroom week at HGVC on the Las Vegas Strip for $4,750.00 with maintenance fees of $870.00 every other year. Instead of 3,400 points every other year, you would get 7,000 points every other year.
You say you don’t need a lot of points because your travel plans are modest – a 5 night vacation (presumably every other year in many years) and even then you are going to travel off season. With something like the week referred to in the last paragraph, you won’t have to limit yourself in that way, and it won’t cost you more money (actually, it will cost $2.00 more every other year, which isn’t material, but would save you at least $9,000.00 up front at the time of purchase (and maybe more if you negotiate a lesser purchase price). Maybe some year you will want to travel during platinum season, or maybe some year you will have guests to use a second bedroom. Perhaps more important is that over the years Hilton has “inflated” the cost of some units. Twenty years ago all one-bedroom weeks during platinum season were 4,800 points. This is still the case at resorts built back then (HGVC Seaworld and Tuscany are examples), and there are often at least some one-bedroom unit weeks during platinum season at some of the newer resorts (Las Palmeras is an example), but check out the point costs at the Grand Islander in Honolulu: 7,200 points is the cheapest one-bedroom unit during platinum season. You can still find one bedroom weeks at some of the other Hawaiian resorts (the Lagoon Tower is a good example), but guess what? It is first-come, first-served, and you better think about making reservations 9 months in advance at that resort. Even then, sometimes you won’t find availability because owners at that resort have the right to make home week reservations between 9-12 months, whereas if you own at a different HGVC resort, you can only reserve 276 days in advance of your check out date, which is basically 9 months plus the length of your reservation in advance.

If you really have your heart set on limiting yourself to what 3,400 points can get you every other year, then there is such a week listed for $1,000.00. So you can save at least another $3,750.00 up front and limit yourself to 3,400.00 points every other year. I don’t recommend it. If you like the program, you will want more points. If you buy more points, your choice is to buy another week and then have two weeks for which to pay maintenance fees and taxes, or sell the first week and buy a week with more points. Timeshare weeks are hard to sell.

You will see many other conversations where people ask if they lose benefits by buying resale as opposed to buying directly from the developer. The answer is “yes” or “no”, depending on your ownership. Hilton has been very good about giving resale buyers the same benefits as the other buyers get. Hilton does have several levels of Elite status which give some perks to those who have it, and there are some requirements about buying at least some of your points from Hilton if you want that. With 3,400 or even 7,000 points, however, you wouldn’t have enough points to qualify even if your purchase were directly from Hilton. The lowest Elite status requires ownership of weeks associated with at least 14,000 club points. Many members of this website do not believe it is worthwhile to pay developer prices to get Elite status. If you purchased two weeks of 7,000 points each or even one week of 14,000 or more points (which you could easily do in Hawaii or New York) directly from Hilton, the cost will probably take your breath away.

If you do buy a HGVC week, make sure what you are buying will get you into the time you want at the resort(s) where you think you will go most often. Weeks from Orlando, Miami, Carlsbad-Marbrisa, Myrtle Beach, and Las Vegas will get you a good selection of dates at most of the HGVC resorts. They aren’t great at getting you into the Southwest Florida resorts, New York City resorts, and The District in Washington, D.C. HGVC has reservation restrictions relating to the NYC and DC resorts. If you don’t own there, you can’t reserve as far out as you can with resorts in most HGVC locations. By the time you can reserve, most of the units will already be reserved by others. The Southwest Florida resorts are in the club because they were managed by a company which Hilton acquired when it formed HGVC many years ago. In order for a HGVC member to reserve one of those weeks with club points, the owners of those weeks have to deposit them into the club, and they don’t do it very often. You almost have to own there to stay there. Once in awhile you can call the club or look on-line and find time at one of those resorts (and once in awhile RCI or II may come through for you), but most of the time there is no availability. So if you really want to be there, you should own there and release points to the club when you want to stay elsewhere.

pianodinosaur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
We purchased our HGVC points directly from HILTON prior to learning about TUG. I do not feel bad about that because we have used our points. I think the most important thing about timesharing has been that it forced me to take real vacations and have some great fun. An HGVC purchase is definitely a luxury expense. However, I think we earned it and enjoy it. We have used our points to travel all over the world. I think those new to timesharing and HGVC should concentrate on learning the system and having a good time with no regrets.