• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Points Question

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I never have paid attention to RCI Points.

What can you do with 55,000 points?

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's close to my points allocation for a 2 bedroom in high season. So with RCI's notorious devaluation, I can get a 1 bedroom just about anywhere anytime. Usually that's under 40K, so there's some flexibility.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)

What can you do with 55,000 point?

If you wait for a sale those points could get you 10 weeks in a 1 bedroom, in shoulder season, in an average resort. Or they could get you 2 weeks in a 2 bedroom at a nicer resort, or they could not be enough to get a week in a studio in a popular Gold Crown resort in peak time. As with RCI weeks (TPU's) it all depends on size of unit, type/popularity of resort, location and time of year. We have 77,000 RCI points and always get 3-5 weeks in Florida (in the spring or fall) in at least a 1, often a 2, bedroom unit in the Daytona or Kissimmee area.

~Diane

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Thanks,

I understand the specials and sales angle.

What does 55,000 point compare to in TPUs . . . 15, 20, 25, 30?

What I'm trying to figure out is how to help someone "get rid of" their Points, and that's different than "getting rid of" our various fixed weeks like I have. It's not like you can advertise a week each year at a resort. Or explain what you can do with them simply. It seems like it would be hard to find someone interested unless they understand RCI Points.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd value 55K RCI Points at something like 30ish TPUs.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
The don't necessarily compare. There is a particular OC, MF condo, that when available in the summer is 27,000 points or maybe 26 tpu's. Compare that to another 2 BR in Orlando which might have an rci points of 98,000 but only have a tpu of 6.

So if you are using your points to trade into high season low availability locations (but find availablity) you might do better with rci points. On the other hand if you typically trade into newer resorts in locations with a lot of timeshares but don't want to wait until 45 days prior (when they may be discounted) you might not be able to get a full week using 55,000 rci points but if you had 20 tpus you might be able to get 2 weeks.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
What I'm trying to figure out is how to help someone "get rid of" their Points, and that's different than "getting rid of" our various fixed weeks like I have. It's not like you can advertise a week each year at a resort. Or explain what you can do with them simply. It seems like it would be hard to find someone interested unless they understand RCI Points.

Sorta what I was trying to say, that it's more difficult to find a prospect for 55,000 RCI Points than for one week at XYZ resort.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Sorta what I was trying to say, that it's more difficult to find a prospect for 55,000 RCI Points than for one week at XYZ resort.
Usually rci points resort have an underlying week. They can advertise the underlying week and also mention that it has been converted to RCI points and gets 55,000 annual points per year. There are enough rci points people that will know what it means and for those that don't want to learn you can sell it to them as weeks and they can remove it from points if they don't want to learn how rci points work.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Usually rci points resort have an underlying week. They can advertise the underlying week and also mention that it has been converted to RCI points and gets 55,000 annual points per year. There are enough rci points people that will know what it means and for those that don't want to learn you can sell it to them as weeks and they can remove it from points if they don't want to learn how rci points work.

Our 77,000 RCI points are tied to week 28 in a 2 bedroom unit at Sunrise Ridge, TN. So I can go there for 1 week or use the points for more weeks, at other resorts, at different times of the year. Our points are automatically deposited into our RCI account and if we want to use them to stay at our home resort we'd need to tell the resort before the points get deposited. If I was going to sell/give my week away I'd list it as a 2 bedroom unit worth 77,000 RCI points, just as it was described when we got it.

~Diane

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score

What can you do with 55,000 points?

Looking in my vacation history, here is some of what I found on sale. At full points, you will find mostly older resorts in that range.

2 BR week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek:7,500 points
2 BR week at Regal Vistas: 4700 points
1 BR week at Saratoga Springs, DVC 23,500 points

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Looking in my vacation history, here is some of what I found on sale. At full points, you will find mostly older resorts in that range.

2 BR week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek:7,500 points
2 BR week at Regal Vistas: 4700 points
1 BR week at Saratoga Springs, DVC 23,500 points

I would imagine that most of those were booked within 45 days of check in and even then probably during the off season

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that most of those were booked within 45 days of check in and even then probably during the off season

They were booked within 45 days. Bonnet Creek was a Memorial Day weekend. Regal Vistas was during the summer and Saratoga Springs was in March during my kids spring break week.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They were booked within 45 days. Bonnet Creek was a Memorial Day weekend. Regal Vistas was during the summer and Saratoga Springs was in March during my kids spring break week.
You must check rci often or have gotten very lucky because my guess is at those point levels they probably weren't available more than an hour, probably less or someone else would have grabbed them. If they were at those levels in rci points, they were probably also available in RCI weeks for 5-11 tpu's.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
For me, the appeal of RCI Points is the flexibility. I started timesharing with Club Wyndham and loved the flexibility... RCI Points extended my options, so I could enjoy that flexibility in areas where Wyndham didn't have resorts.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
The person I'm trying to help is most likely reading this, and we are talking privately.

The half-dozen weeks I have gotten rid of went to people who are not intimately familiar with timesharing, so talking about a week at XYZ was simple. The person I'm trying to help concurs, that all the Points stuff and what all you can do with it, clouds the issue, or, IMO, intimates/scares off people.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Perhaps... Flexibility breeds complexity.

But if the week and resort are not desirable, RCI points could make the deed/contract purchase more desirable... depending on RCI Points/MF ratio.

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score
To get the maximum value out of a timeshare, it requires a good deal of study and experience.

The timesharing system is designed to be complex and confusing, with the answer always "you need to buy something" as the answer from the sales department of whatever timeshare system you've bought.

If you put in the time to understand how to maximize a timeshare, you can extract good value.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Again, RCI points don’t exist in a vacuum. There has to be an underlying week.