• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rome Bans Sitting on the Spanish Steps

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Two words. What has happen to "Common Sense."
Maybe if the all tourist in the world stop coming to Italy for one year. Will the Italian government then apply "Common Sense."

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
That’s unfortunate. I can understand not allowing people to lay down, but to not allow sitting seems to go too far. We’ve been there twice and walked up and down the steps, but never sat there as we didn’t have the time with so much else to see.

On the other hand it is very disrespectful when tourists or locals don’t treat monuments or property in general with respect.

Best regards.

Mike

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I have visited the Spanish Steps many times. I have even sat on them once or twice. Just sitting on the steps is not the same as eating or lounging or brewing coffee on them (as happened recently on the Rialto Bridge in Venice).

The last time I was there, people were covering the steps as if they were the bleacher seats in a stadium. It was too much, IMO. As long as people are off to the side and not blocking the ability of others to move up and down, I am not sure I have a real problem with it.

The problem with much of Rome (and Venice and Florence and many other cities) is that the number of tourists has increased significantly, but there are few free places to sit down and rest on an actual seat anywhere when touring around the city. If they want to keep the tourism dollars rolling in they need to limit policing to the more extreme cases, IMO, or provide more seating.

Yes, it is important to show respect for ancient monuments, but there needs to be some balance or common sense on both sides. We love to stop at a cafe, but not everyone can afford to do that.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
IMHO, they should rope off a section for sitters, maybe 20%.
So then, if you must put your butt on the steps, you can do so only if there's space for your butt.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I fine with it because the people who live in the city are fine with it. We are just visitors. We walked down the steps and found many cafes nearby (iirc) where we could sit down - it was our afternoon treat to get a coffee. And maybe they don't really want more visitors? That's what it seems like.

When the Chargers were trying to get the folks of San Diego to foot the bill for a new stadium, we had relatives who lived a hundred miles away who were upset that the San Diego taxpayers voted it down. They don't live here, weren't season ticket holders and knew nothing of the past fiscal history regarding the city and the team, yet had an opinion on how we should spend our tax dollars! They were thinking only of themselves and the one or two days a year when they might come down to see a game, not those of us would would have footed the bill and put up with the construction for years.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Two words. What has happen to "Common Sense."
Maybe if the all tourist in the world stop coming to Italy for one year. Will the Italian government then apply "Common Sense."

They're steps, steps are used to climb up and down not for sitting on. If you want to sit somewhere sit on a bench or in many of the cafes, bars and restaurants in the area and contribute to the local economy, that's what common sense would dictate.

Maybe if all the self entitled tourists who feel they have the right to do what they wish in the arrogant belief that they are doing the locals a favour by being there stopped visiting then it would be a more pleasant place for those more respectful of other countries customs, history, infrastructure and currency amongst other things.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of being in the Sistine Chapel and the Gendarmes SHOUTING, "Silencia, SILENCIA!!!" like it's going to keep tourists from pointing at the highlights and talking among themselves.

If you're at the Spanish Steps and want to 'people watch', grab a seat at a cafe' and have an espresso. They're steps, not bleachers!

Jim

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Reminds a little of the first time I rode a tram in Rome. No idea how to pay, I got on expecting to find a Fare box or some means to pay. (You had to buy a ticket at a Tabac or other place and stamp it on the tram).

Towards the end of the line, a flock of transit cops got on and started asking for tickets. Since I had none, they hauled me off and took me to the leader who spoke a little English. After paying a fine of a Billion or so lira, probably $20, I was released to find my way back to my DW. I asked where to buy a ticket, received a string of unintelligible Italian and eventually had a nice long stroll back to the hotel via, by coincidence, the Spanish Steps which were not crowded at all.

Cheers