• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Canceling at the Front End

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Question. Using points for a reservation at Hilton Hawaiian Village. Let’s assume I want to be there Thursday to the following Friday. 8 days. I’m just over 9 months out from the Thursday day. I can reserve Tuesday to the following Friday. Can I reserve that, then call and cancel the first two nights and get the points refunded?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Question. Using points for a reservation at Hilton Hawaiian Village. Let’s assume I want to be there Thursday to the following Friday. 8 days. I’m just over 9 months out from the Thursday day. I can reserve Tuesday to the following Friday. Can I reserve that, then call and cancel the first two nights and get the points refunded?

I believe so. You are just changing the reservation, correct?

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I believe so. You are just changing the reservation, correct?
Correct. My thinking is this. People are waiting for the moment they can book at the 9 month window. If I have enough points to book a couple days earlier it gives me several shots/tries at getting the room I want. So if I want a Thur reservation for 9 days, but I start trying on Tuesday, I have Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday to get though and get the reservation. Then, if I get it on Tue, I cancel Tue and Wed. If I get it on Wed, I cancel just Wed.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
I believe I follow you

But I believe you’re asking if you can book Tuesday to Friday to guarantee the Thursday night while you wait for the remaining days to become available

As long as you make a changeable reservation you can advance the the check-in date one day and the check-out day one day. Until you get the desired check-in date

Then just keep adding a night everyday until you get your desired check-out date

This is called “Walking your reservation”

You have to a minimum three night stay to have a reservation so you can just keep moving your three days until Thursday is your check-in date

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I believe I follow you

But I believe you’re asking if you can book Tuesday to Friday to guarantee the Thursday night while you wait for the remaining days to become available

As long as you make a changeable reservation you can advance the the check-in date one day and the check-out day one day. Until you get the desired check-in date

Then just keep adding a night everyday until you get your desired check-out date

This is called “Walking your reservation”

You have to a minimum three night stay to have a reservation so you can just keep moving your three days until Thursday is your check-in date

I’m actually looking at an 8-day reservation. I know the date I want to leave. It’s a Friday. I want to arrive the previous Thursday, 8 days earlier, So I’d reserve Tue-Fri, 10 days, then cancel the first two. Or Wed-Fri, 9 days, and then cancel just the first. So it’s not exactly walking the reservation, but similar.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
I’m actually looking at an 8-day reservation. I know the date I want to leave. It’s a Friday. I want to arrive the previous Thursday, 8 days earlier, So I’d reserve Tue-Fri, 10 days, then cancel the first two. Or Wed-Fri, 9 days, and then cancel just the first. So it’s not exactly walking the reservation, but similar.

If you can book your dates now why even bother booking the first two nights? There’s no advantage to booking nights beforehand that your just going to cancel

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
If you can book your dates now why even bother booking the first two nights? There’s no advantage to booking nights beforehand that your just going to cancel

Because I haven't reached the 9-month window yet for the date I want to start at, so I can't book that date yet. But I can book several days earlier.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Because I haven't reached the 9-month window yet for the date I want to start at, so I can't book that date yet. But I can book several days earlier.

So you do want to "Walk the reservation". Keeping the Tuesday and Wednesday is helping you secure the Thursday right now. Everyday at Midnight EST you can add another night as long as it's available. Keeping the Tuesday and Wednesday doesn't matter once you get to a 5 night reservation. So as I said earlier each night you can just push forward your check-in date and push out your check-out date.

If you really want to you can keep the Tuesday and Wednesday until you get all 10 nights. If there's only one unit available you would still have first priority in getting it first as other people wouldn't be able to book the three night minimum.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
So you do want to "Walk the reservation". Keeping the Tuesday and Wednesday is helping you secure the Thursday right now. Everyday at Midnight EST you can add another night as long as it's available. Keeping the Tuesday and Wednesday doesn't matter once you get to a 5 night reservation. So as I said earlier each night you can just push forward your check-in date and push out your check-out date.

If you really want to you can keep the Tuesday and Wednesday until you get all 10 nights. If there's only one unit available you would still have first priority in getting it first as other people wouldn't be able to book the three night minimum.
I think what might be confusing me is that the rules and the HGV website don't seem to work the same way. As I understand it, you can book using points 276 days before your check OUT date. But on the HGV website it appears to operate based on the check IN date only.

Using Lagoon Tower as an example, right now it appears that it will let me book May 8 - May 22. But if I move the check IN slider to May 9, it tells me I'm outside my window. You can see this below The first image is May 8 check in. The second is May 9 check in. No other changes.

upload_2019-8-6_20-55-31.png

upload_2019-8-6_20-54-44.png

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think what might be confusing me is that the rules and the HGV website don't seem to work the same way. As I understand it, you can book using points 276 days before your check OUT date. But on the HGV website it appears to operate based on the check IN date only.

Using Lagoon Tower as an example, right now it appears that it will let me book May 8 - May 22. But if I move the check IN slider to May 9, it tells me I'm outside my window. You can see this below The first image is May 8 check in. The second is May 9 check in. No other changes.

View attachment 13296

View attachment 13295

You can't book any dates beyond 5/8/2020 unless you are booking a home reservation. The 9 month rule is from today's date so you can't book the other reservations. I just logged in myself and if you actually click on any reservation that goes beyond 5/8/2020 you get the same message. Go try and click on the above reservation.

Last edited:

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So to clarify the 9 month rule is nine months from Check-out date so the check-out date can't be further away then 9 months. When you are making a Home Resort reservation the date changes and you can book an entire Home Resort Week in your season 12 months from check-in date. So Saturday 8/8/2020 Home resort reservations will became available for the week of 8/8/2020 to 8/15/2020 will become available on 8/8/2019

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Home Week Reservations work differently than Club Reservations.

Your Lagoon Tower Home Week Reservation is only valid for Saturday checkin for the full seven nights. There is no flexibility. The Home Week Reservation doesn’t convert into a Club Reservation at 9 months.

I would call HGVC and ask them how to get your desired dates.

My suggestion.. I would make a separate three night Club reservation then wait to call HGVC (when there is less online activity). You want to get a HGVC rep who can release your home week and rebook using you’re existing Club Reservation without losing access to those original dates during the process. ;)

Last edited:

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Home Week Reservations work differently than Club Reservations.

Your Lagoon Tower Home Week Reservation is only valid for Saturday checkin for the full seven nights. There is no flexibility. The Home Week Reservation doesn’t convert into a Club Reservation at 9 months.

I would call HGVC and ask them how to get your desired dates.

My suggestion.. I would make a separate three night Club reservation then wait to call HGVC (when there is less online activity). You want to get a HGVC rep who can release your home week and rebook using you’re existing Club Reservation without losing access to those original dates during the process. ;)
Can't make a home week here because I'm platinum and these May dates are among the half dozen weeks each year excluded from platinum.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
You can't book any dates beyond 5/8/2020 unless you are booking a home reservation. The 9 month rule is from today's date so you can't book the other reservations. I just logged in myself and if you actually click on any reservation that goes beyond 5/8/2020 you get the same message. Go try and click on the above reservation.
So if that's correct then it goes back to walking the reservation. When it is 276 days to my desired check IN date I reserve a week that ends on my desired check IN date, and each night I extend it one night at the back end, and cancel one night at the front end, gradually moving the week later and later until it is what I want. Is that right?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
So if that's correct then it goes back to walking the reservation. When it is 276 days to my desired check IN date I reserve a week that ends on my desired check IN date, and each night I extend it one night at the back end, and cancel one night at the front end, gradually moving the week later and later until it is what I want. Is that right?

Thats the way I do it. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
yes correct. There are confusing reply's above. This is a CLUB reservation, not a HOME WEEK reservation and the way you are doing it is best practice to achieve a specific CLUB RESERVATION date. The one caveat to this is that many AFFILIATES do not allow changeable reservations, so this can only be done with HGVC owned resorts.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
That is the way I do it also. I just don't say I am canceling a day (such as on the front end). You are just moving your reservation (as in move or modify the reservation until you get the days which you want). That is what was confusing me anyways.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Correct

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
That is the way I do it also. I just don't say I am canceling a day (such as on the front end). You are just moving your reservation (as in move or modify the reservation until you get the days which you want). That is what was confusing me anyways.

That is the way I think of it also. Move (change) not Cancel. Just move it one step ( day) at a time. Hence the term Walk the reservation.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
For prime locations and times (like Hawaii) you will have competition at 9 months out - and that competition starts online at midnight. The reservations are based on the CHECK OUT date. So you book the mininum 3 nights as soon as you are able - then with a changeable reservation you can add or drop nights as long as there are at least 3 nights and you have enough points (by changing checkin and checkout dates). And you have to change the reservation BEFORE 3 days or someone can book at the end.

It is work but worth it for something you want. Hence "walking the reservation" ...

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
For prime locations and times (like Hawaii) you will have competition at 9 months out

For Waikiki, possibly (we have no interest in staying there, so we do not represent competition, but some seem to). For Big Island, not so much. We've stayed at various times of year with never an inventory problem. Walked once, and found I hadn't needed to do it :)

Cheers.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
For Waikiki, possibly (we have no interest in staying there, so we do not represent competition, but some seem to). For Big Island, not so much. We've stayed at various times of year with never an inventory problem. Walked once, and found I hadn't needed to do it :)
Cheers.

Totally agreed. If I want to go somewhere i have just logged in and watched inventory ahead of time to get a feel for it. HHV lower point rooms were tough competition - plus and larger rooms not so much. Hilton Head Ocean Oaks during the summer was similar.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
For prime locations and times (like Hawaii) you will have competition at 9 months out - and that competition starts online at midnight. The reservations are based on the CHECK OUT date. So you book the mininum 3 nights as soon as you are able - then with a changeable reservation you can add or drop nights as long as there are at least 3 nights and you have enough points (by changing checkin and checkout dates). And you have to change the reservation BEFORE 3 days or someone can book at the end.

It is work but worth it for something you want. Hence "walking the reservation" ...
Can you walk the reservation online, or does it require a call after the initial reservation is made?

Also, the "starts at midnight" is Eastern Standard Time, correct? I'm on the West Coast, so for me it would be 9:00pm each night?

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you walk the reservation online, or does it require a call after the initial reservation is made?

Also, the "starts at midnight" is Eastern Standard Time, correct? I'm on the West Coast, so for me it would be 9:00pm each night?

You can do it online as long as the resort allows for online booking:

Yes the dates change based on Midnight EST

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk