• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Car rental

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I was looking at car rental rates in PV and eventually looked at Budget. I have rented from this location in the past. The cars are not as nice as Avis but they are nice enough. The price for three weeks this next winter was a surprisingly low $23.91 for an intermediate.

This happened a couple of years ago where I picked up an intermediate for two weeks for about $60.

The third party liability is included in the rate. My Amex covers the car. I do have a reservation with Hertz as well. It is $360 for an intermediate for the three weeks. Third party liability is included in this rate and my Amex covers the car.

It really seems like a Budget car online error but I have the reservation.

Bill

oldbuyer

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hacienda Encantada, Playa Grande, Pueblo Bonito Sunset
Bill, we know how this is going to end.
Lo Siento mucho Senor at Avis then you walk over to Hertz.
Please update us on their excuse at Avis.
Too go to be true means it isn't.
$360 for 3 weeks is a smoking deal.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Yeah, I would definitely hold on to the Hertz reservation! Would love to hear what the "real" price of that Budget rental ends up being.

Kurt

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes, I am hanging on to the Hertz reservation. Budget did let me have an intermediate car for about $60 all in a few years back at this same location. They did try to sell me insurance but I declined and showed them their policy. My brother in law did the same. Unbelievable price for three weeks.

This morning auto slash found me a better deal for our Maui trip. About $380 for an intermediate with extra driver for two weeks. I must be having good car karma this week.

Bill

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
These extremely low priced car rentals in Mexico are sometimes really possible, if you decline all extra insurance and your credit card approves a pre-authorization for up to a full retail value of the car, that can be tens of thousands of dollars.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
These extremely low priced car rentals in Mexico are sometimes really possible, if you decline all extra insurance and your credit card approves a pre-authorization for up to a full retail value of the car, that can be tens of thousands of dollars.

Yes , you decline all of the insurance offered by the rental agency and use your Amex for the car and passengers. Your trip insurance also covers some of the medical.

The car will have the third party liability included in the rate or for purchase. Budget has included the this in their rate.

Yes, Budgets terms and conditions are to hold up to $2500 on an intermediate car on the Amex. Amex is good with this as they offer enhanced auto rental insurance. I use one card only for the car. It is Amex.

Bill

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I am in Cancun right now. I have a full size car. It was upgraded from an intermediate car that I rented for a TOTAL of $13.89 for 5 days. The car rental was America. Make sure you get a letter from your credit card company that verifies your coverage. If you don’t, they’ll try to tack on another $25 or more per day. I knew about the insurance scam from a website. That site gave great information on driving in Mexico and that’s how I got the 13.89 for the 5 days.

huffydogg

Reaction score
The Costco Visa Credit card (Citi) also covers the car.

chalucky

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used the AMEX $16.95 insurance plan when in Mexico and always declined all insurance with the exception of the "enhanced"third party liability.
Thrifty charges like $17/day for this which supplements the minimal amount included with the rental. I know I am paying an extra $100/week
for this coverage but I thought I read somewhere this coverage was one you should not be without & it was a good idea....

chalucky

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
IF you drive your own car into Mexico you have to purchase Mexican coverage; If you rent a car at a rental agency, you will have to leave more of a deposit but can use your own coverages whether a supplement or a credit card benefit. The AMEX supplement works in Mexico (to my understanding) for all needs except third party liability. Just what I have heard.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The Costco Visa Credit card (Citi) also covers the car.
Many cards offer CDW coverage, though it is often secondary. I believe Amex coverage is primary but you pay extra for it. We always use the United MileagePlus Explorer card since it has Primary CDW for no additional fee above the annual fee.