• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where to go August 2020?

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Steve
Although its hard to turn down Grande Ocean, I would suggest you try Ocean Watch as a comparison.There are lots of activities for children, the resort has matured nicely during the past 15 years and there is more commercial development (restaurants and shops) filling in nearby.I was fortunate to spend a weekend there last month with Marty and his lovely wife Mona and they were both impressed.I even managed to find some excellent dining establishments (talk about Pressure) that they throughly enjoyed.

Hear hear! ......You did well, buddy!

My dear friend jont, you are 100% accurate on every single word of that assessment above. I concur wholeheartedly. We were indeed impressed with Oceanwatch in absolutely every aspect. And what's funny
is that we have OWNED Oceanwatch for years, although we haven't stayed there for about 10 years. Traded mostly in Interval which did extremely well, or traded for DC Points.
I think we've only stayed there as owners once, right after we purchased, and we remember it so differently....very nice but "not matured" is a very good description (referring to the landscape only).....
and as for not "staying there", that will certainly change. The villas were extremely nice, the pools beautiful, and the experience divine.
Of course our company contributed a lot to that........
but the facilities were as wonderful as advertised. It's one of the most popular Marriott resorts, with high owner satisfaction ratings,
for a reason.

It was great, though, and as much as we adore Grande Ocean in Hilton Head, we reached a new appreciation for the Myrtle Beach area.
It has a lot to offer. And your selections of our dining establishments
(four of them as I recall---two dinners and two for breakfast) were superb!!!!!

Pressure? what pressure? Never doubt that I've trained you well, and even that aside, you know what you're doing anyway
without any help from me,
so I defer to your innate ability to sniff out only the FINEST spots, and the most FUN places too. Your performance in that regard
was as good as it gets. Can't wait to go back with you guys,
and I'm sure that'll happen. We've now gotten together in Hilton Head more than once, in Williamsburg, in Boston twice,
and now in Myrtle Beach. Have we got it made, or what? Cheers

Rodenwjr

Reaction score
Steve

Best time in NCV is Aug thru Sept. Water at the beach warms up throughout the summer making it really nice. We used to go down there during this time frame when the kids weren't in school yet. Less crowded too. Now we are bound by the school year.. Also the later in the year you go the quicker the marine layer burns off ... opening to blue skies.

If that's not an issue, I woud recommend NCV in a heart beat. A lot of kids activities and so many beach choices to choose from.

We just got back yesterday from our annual week stay and we were all kind of bummed it was over till next year. I was shocked when my 16 yr old told me he likes the place or appreciates it a lot more than he did when he was younger. We've been going there for 12 years. Maybe it's a sentimental statement but it made me and my wife happy to hear it. Kind of confirmed our correct choice in the purchase.

FYI...NCV is completely remodeling the "Tide" pool to include a water structure such as slides and spilled buckets etc it's located at the lower end of the property. This created a a little more crowded pools in the other two locations this year. The Tide pool will be completed spring of 2020 so it will be perfect for your arrival.

Bill

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the NCV recommendation for August. Weather should be great and there is a lot to do in the area. The only downside is the traffic, but it is workable. We love walking to the beach down the hill, and having breakfast at the Beachcomber on the beach. You might also want to consider adding a couple of nights at the San Diego Pulse property to enjoy the SD zoo and other activities in the area.

The Ritz Residence in Vail is another good summer vacation destination.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the NCV recommendation for August. Weather should be great and there is a lot to do in the area. The only downside is the traffic, but it is workable. We love walking to the beach down the hill, and having breakfast at the Beachcomber on the beach. You might also want to consider adding a couple of nights at the San Diego Pulse property to enjoy the SD zoo and other activities in the area.

The Ritz Residence in Vail is another good summer vacation destination.

If we do NCV we will drive. My parents live in LA so they’ll come and stay for a couple of days. With that said, we’d make SD a day trip. Parents own a time share in Carlsbad so need to see where it falls in terms of dates.

Vail has been an interested but not very high since inlaws own a cabin in Ouray. Kinda hard to want to stay in a ski-town when I have Park City close by and the cabin.

I appreciate all of the comments. These 1st world problems make me realize how fortunate we all are.

taxare

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we do NCV we will drive. My parents live in LA so they’ll come and stay for a couple of days. With that said, we’d make SD a day trip. Parents own a time share in Carlsbad so need to see where it falls in terms of dates.

I agree with NCV and I own in Hilton Head which I really enjoy as well. We have been twice and its beautiful and tons of activities for our adult kids and grandkids. Plenty of good restaurants. Not sure if you are into art but the Laguna Arts Festival and the Pageant of the Masters are worth going to.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve made a tentative reservation at OceanWatch. NCV appears to be wide open right now. The plan right now is to make a decision once we’ve been at Grande Ocean for a few days. That will allow us to evaluate activities, etc for the kids.

One thing going for Ocean Watch is that the wife wants to visit Fort Sumter and OceanWatch. Though I’m liking the NCV idea a little more.

My wife threw out the idea of Yellowstone but I told here there are no Marriott Resorts there. :ponder:

Norcal5

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Springhill suites in Jackson Hole is an excellent base to explore Yellowstone. We’ve never been but have a friend that loved that property so we’ve booked it for next June with our travel package.

We’re driving home from our 8 night trip to NCV right now. I think this is the absolute best time of the year to go there, a little overcast in the morning a few days, which made our morning hikes nicer, but otherwise perfect weather. The property was as beautiful as ever, Crystal Cove Beach was beautiful and surprisingly uncrowded on the weekdays, and the pools and live music at the resort were fun. We did Pageant of the Masters, (which unfortunately this year was first ever not good - opinion of our large group) Vans US Open of Surfing at Huntington Beach, (fun), Nixon Library, and went to a lot of fun spots in Laguna Beach that kids would enjoy. Plus 3 meals at the fabulous Beachcomber Cafe right on Crystal Cove Beach. The Resort shuttles take you to all these great places if you don’t want to drive much.

Disneyland would be a great addition for your family also, after Star Wars and Marvel are done. I’d recommend Saturday and Sunday for that, both for crowd avoidance and to avoid the high point NCV weekend nights and stay at Disney.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I’ve made a tentative reservation at OceanWatch. NCV appears to be wide open right now. The plan right now is to make a decision once we’ve been at Grande Ocean for a few days. That will allow us to evaluate activities, etc for the kids.

One thing going for Ocean Watch is that the wife wants to visit Fort Sumter and OceanWatch. Though I’m liking the NCV idea a little more.

My wife threw out the idea of Yellowstone but I told here there are no Marriott Resorts there. :ponder:

Charleston is about 2 hours from both Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach, so if you wanted to see Ft Sumter you could do a day trip when you are in Hilton Head next week.

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know it's a year away but I'm panicking because I still have 3500 points to book for 2020 and I don't have plans figured out yet. I've been doing some searching to see what's available and I'm questioning myself on some of this.

Looks like Aug 1-8 is available at many locations. I have the opportunity to book any of the following.

Grande Ocean
Ocean Watch
St. Kitts
Frenchman's Cove
Marco Island
Newport Coast

We're heading to Grande Ocean next week so that could determine if we want to go back. But being august, I wonder how these other options would be. I know it would be hot and humid at pretty much all of these.

Mostly I want to get my reservation made as I can always cancel. If you had to pick one right now where would you go? When we travel, kids will be almost 5, 7.5, and 10.

I think since it will be the beginning of August, chances for Hurricanes are slightly less than compared to September. Please comment if otherwise.

Go to NCV and take your family to the Pageant of Masters in Laguna Beach. It’s a great experience. My kids enjoyed it a lot and still enjoy going back. My youngest was six when she went for the first time. If your youngest can handle it it could be a great family outing.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Go visit Fort Sumter this year when you are in Hilton Head. It is almost exactly the same distance from either GO or OW

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold

Steve, if you go to NCV, let me know. I live 10 minutes away. Let’s try to hook up!