• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What to do about radon testing in a new build home

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So- the builder of our new home does not test for radon and will not do preventative work on the foundation as I requested.

I have reached out to some people in the community where our home is being built. Shockingly, some people have not tested for it at all- even a fireman! This is NH- the GRANITE state- where high levels of radon are almost everywhere.

My husband has a high incidence of lung cancer in his family. True- most were smokers, but still- he is very sensitive and I would not trust it. Bad enough the basement ceiling will have exposed insulation- something else we have to deal with.

So- do we pay for the builder to install the necessary radon migration thingamajig or do we wait until the house is built, test it then and if an issue, call in a company to fix it?

Also- should we get a building inspector on our own to check on this house as it is built? I am not sure how that works with a new build, but we cannot be up there to see every little thing being done.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
One woman who purchased a resale there said the house had high levels of it and after the inspection the seller did the remediation before she purchased it.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
We purchased an existing house with finished basement. Inspection showed elevated level of radon and the seller decided on price reduction. We had the system installed before we moved in and being in end unit really helped.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
When I purchased new in Pa years ago a clause was in my contract, that if tested within a certain number of days and it was higher then x, they would remidiate. If not in your contract find out if the law protects you. Otherwise it will be your expense.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We already know it would be at our expense because the builder does not have it in the contract and it is not required int he state to test for it. We already asked about it when we signed the contract.

We are just not sure if we should have him put in whatever the thing is before he pours the foundation since testing open dirt is not practical, or to wait until the house is done and then test for it and get a company to come in to take care of it if it is high.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We purchased an existing house with finished basement. Inspection showed elevated level of radon and the seller decided on price reduction. We had the system installed before we moved in and being in end unit really helped.

Yes- a resale is different than dealing with a builder.

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
If your builder is open to it, I would get the mitigation system put in during construction and had the pipe run thru the wall. Our pipe is exposed, my friend’s pipe runs thru closet, space is at premium in our little house.

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
Regarding the inspection as the house is built--I've read that it's very important to get a home inspection done on a new build. If you get the name of a good home inspector near your new home, that company can probably advise you on what to do, both for a general inspection and a radon inspection.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If your builder is open to it, I would get the mitigation system put in during construction and had the pipe run thru the wall. Our pipe is exposed, my friend’s pipe runs thru closet, space is at premium in our little house.

We asked his realtor about it today and she said the only thing he would do is put the pipe in. But- not the mitigation system -whether we want to pay or not.

She said to test about a year after it is built in the spring or fall and then if it is high get a company to take care of it. She said often times they will pull out the pipe a builder puts in anyway and replace with their own stuff.

We will have a basement so hopefully it will not be an issue, but she claims it would all cost the same anyway.

After a while with this building stuff I do not know what to believe anymore.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Regarding the inspection as the house is built--I've read that it's very important to get a home inspection done on a new build. If you get the name of a good home inspector near your new home, that company can probably advise you on what to do, both for a general inspection and a radon inspection.

We were going to try for an inspector during all the stages but after talking to the realtor maybe we will jget one before we do the walk through before the house closes so as to add to the punch list if necessary. She said there could be an issue with the workers throwing an inspector off the site as they could feel he would be in the way while they are trying to get the work done.

This whole thing is becoming a PITA.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Last edited:

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We were going to try for an inspector during all the stages but after talking to the realtor maybe we will jget one before we do the walk through before the house closes so as to add to the punch list if necessary. She said there could be an issue with the workers throwing an inspector off the site as they could feel he would be in the way while they are trying to get the work done.

This whole thing is becoming a PITA.
Best time to inspect is after framing and then again once plumbing lines and electrical wiring are installed. Problems are usually hiding behind the walls.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Best time to inspect is after framing and then again once plumbing lines and electrical wiring are installed. Problems are usually hiding behind the walls.

But- what about the city inspector that comes as they build?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It really isn't a problem to use a vapor barrier under the basement slab before it is poured. I did. It isn't really a problem to use a concrete sealer before installing the flooring,. I did.

Radon detectors are inexpensive. I wouldn't worry too much about radon. I would worry more about other things like keeping on schedule. :thumbup:

Bill

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It really isn't a problem to use a vapor barrier under the basement slab before it is poured. I did. It isn't really a problem to use a concrete sealer before installing the flooring,. I did.

Radon detectors are inexpensive. I wouldn't worry too much about radon. I would worry more about other things like keeping on schedule. :thumbup:

Bill

Yes. I know. But the builder seems to think it is a problem to use a vapor barrier - at least according to his realtor.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you mean a humidifier or a dehumidifier?

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
We asked about this today and she insisted he doesn't do this stuff. UGH!

I so hate basements and she also said to get a dehumidifier for the moisture issues! I HATE BASEMENTS!! Love our slab we live on now.

I so miss basements. In Canada we nearly all have basements. In Texas we only have slabs. I would take my basement with the furnace and water heater in it than have all that crap in a 160F temperature attic, especially if you have HVAC issues or your water heater has issues and leaks.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I so miss basements. In Canada we nearly all have basements. In Texas we only have slabs. I would take my basement with the furnace and water heater in it than have all that crap in a 160F temperature attic, especially if you have HVAC issues or your water heater has issues and leaks.

Our current house is on a slab and our boiler is in a convenient closet off our den. Only things in our attic are the AC ducts.