• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tradewinds

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Has anyone sailed to BVI after the hurricane in 2017? We were in St. John just recently and almost cried when we saw that pretty much all the coral in our favorite places had been wiped out. Saw a few turtles, and a little bit of fish, but it will take years for that coral to recover. I would think the coral around the BVI fared the same or worse, since I believe the hurricane hit BVI first.

We just spent 16 days in the Virgin Islands including 7N sailing in the BVIs on dream yacht charter. It was great. I did not snorkel or dive and I did think the foliage was a bit thin and browner for the area but compared to more places in the world, it was still gorgeous. I never found snorkeling or diving in the Virgin Islands to be great so I did not even consider that. The things I love about the Virgin Islands are still there, except Caneel Bay of course. That makes me want to cry. I am planning to return to Ritz Carton St Thomas and possibly St John again in 2020 and in future years. Virgin Islands is on my return list.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just spent 16 days in the Virgin Islands including 7N sailing in the BVIs on dream yacht charter. It was great. I did not snorkel or dive and I did think the foliage was a bit thin and browner for the area but compared to more places in the world, it was still gorgeous. I never found snorkeling or diving in the Virgin Islands to be great so I did not even consider that. The things I love about the Virgin Islands are still there, except Caneel Bay of course. That makes me want to cry. I am planning to return to Ritz Carton St Thomas and possibly St John again in 2020 and in future years. Virgin Islands is on my return list.

Virgin Islands was suffering a drought. The rains started right after we left. I think I remember your comments on the WSJ thread....

If anyone has been recently on a Tradewinds BVI trip, are all the yachts now air-conditioned?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Virgin Islands was suffering a drought. The rains started right after we left. I think I remember your comments on the WSJ thread....

If anyone has been recently on a Tradewinds BVI trip, are all the yachts now air-conditioned?

The DWY yacht we were on had AC during the day but due to the generator noise, they turned it off at night. It got very humid at night and not comfortable. We were on a 62’ luxury yacht. The yacht was huge and brand new and did not have a ding or scratch in it. It had 3 levels total.

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel

There are a couple of the old boats left that lack AC, but I think they might be in Greece.

It all depends on the Class of the boat and being subject to the Captain’s approval.
Flagship Class boats should have AC whenever requested, definitely at night.
Luxury Class boats should have AC on early in the evening while getting ready for dinner and then through the night till about 6 am.
The new 52’ Cruising Class boats do have AC, but it is up to the Captain if he chooses to turn it on at night. They say the AC compressor is VERY loud on the new Cruising Class boats, sitting right next to one of the cabins.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Does anyone want to share the cost of ownership figures?
What I think I know:
AI fee for owners $1075/pp
Maintenance fee $775 per 100,000 points

Cost of 1.2 million points???

Points needed for cruising,luxury or flagship???

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
AI fee is more for different classes. Cruise/Luxury=$1075 pp Flagship=$1370. There are also "overrides" to these fees. We paid $1495 for the SVG Flagship in April. The maintenance fees go up every year. The points needed for a cruise will vary by season. It's not cheap, but it is so wonderful. Referral trips are very reasonable, though.
Class High Mid Low
Flagship 200,000 150,000 100,000
Luxury 125,000 100,000 75,000
Cruising 100,000 75,000 50,000

PM me and I will dig up the cost for points.
Ruth

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Tradewinds sounds amazing. I have this now on our bucket list.

I would like to include family and may need 2 to 3 cabins. Is there a way to do this via RCI with HGVC points within the 1:4 rule?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

I would like to include family and may need 2 to 3 cabins. Is there a way to do this via RCI with HGVC points within the 1:4 rule?
No. I am pretty sure that the 1-in-4 year restriction specifically mentions no concurrent reservations. You will need to rent points from someone or try to find multiple referrals.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds only allows one cabin every 4 years with RCI.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are going to French Polynesia at the end of July on Tradewinds via RCI. Can't wait!! This will likely be a once every four years thing for us. Unless we win the lottery

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are going to French Polynesia at the end of July on Tradewinds via RCI. Can't wait!! This will likely be a once every four years thing for us. Unless we win the lottery
The biggest issue for us is getting to the bases. Man, the cost of airfare to get there is the big stumbling block.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score

Probably not. You would have to check with RCI. You could do this through a member referral. Normally, they won’t do multiple cabins, but I was inquiring for a friend and it is possible to get three.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest issue for us is getting to the bases. Man, the cost of airfare to get there is the big stumbling block.
We are using Air France miles to fly to Tahiti. There seem to be a lot of packages where airfare is only $900 roundtrip from the US West Coast.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are using Air France miles to fly to Tahiti. There seem to be a lot of packages where airfare is only $900 roundtrip from the US West Coast.
I was thinking of St. Vincent & the Grenadines, Guadeloupe, and Placencia specifically. You can get there of course, but it is quite a lot of flights and time. I agree that FP is surprisingly easy and fairly priced from the West Coast.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Belize (Placencia) is the most modest airfare for us from Denver. SVG is complicated and pricey but so worth it. I am working on Guadeloupe now and it is also expensive. Part of the deal I guess. I’d like to do French Polynesia at some point.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I only paid $775 from San Jose, California to Papeete this August through Delta (Air France partner I believe), but then it’s another $364 to get to Raiatea. Still not awful. Worth going to FP in our book.

But had to add 1 night in Raiatea and 1 night in Papeete due to flight times

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Belize (Placencia) is the most modest airfare for us from Denver. SVG is complicated and pricey but so worth it. I am working on Guadeloupe now and it is also expensive. Part of the deal I guess. I’d like to do French Polynesia at some point.
Yes, while I love the sailing, it is pricey and the airfare adds quite a bit in many cases. It's all part of the decision making process.

Btw, there is an active Tradewinds group on Facebook (I know that Sandy is on there), so if you are facebooking, look for it. It is a wealth of information related to TW.

melissy123

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you back from French Polynesia. How was it.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau

We leave 8/22 for 2 weeks in FP. Would love to hear about your trip too.

There should have been quite a few Tuggers who booked with RCI Traveltime and Klpca so far are the only two who have reported back but with positive reports!

I will definitely post on my return.

SciTchr

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will look for your report on the trip, turkel. I want to go but getting there is tough. You’ll have to fill me in.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will look for your report on the trip, turkel. I want to go but getting there is tough. You’ll have to fill me in.
It should only be one connection for you - LAX or SFO. I was surprised about how straightforward it was. You do have to take another flight to Raiatea, but it wasn't a long flight. Add a day or two on either side to make it even easier.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
When I went in 2014, when I did Tradewinds (TW) in French Polynesia (FP), I did 5 days prior on Tikehau and then 3 days after on Bora Bora. I stayed at the Pearl Resorts.

Getting to FP is not as hard as some caribbean destinations. Less flight than getting to Bequia in St Vincent and the Grenadines which is another TW base.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just got back from my 3 1/2 week trip to French Polynesia. The Tradewinds Cruise Club part of the trip was amazing. French Polynesia as a destination was beyond what I could have imagined. It was like being in the Cayman Islands 40 years ago. (I went there when I was very young - at Grand Cayman is way too touristy for me now.). We flew into Papeete and stayed one night, rented a car, and took a ferry over to Moorea with the car. Stayed there 4 nights in a Pension. Moorea is a beautiful island with many blue toned lagoon beaches. There is a little motu you can get to via ferry, with a lunch place called Coco's on the motu. Great snorkeling at the motu. We took the ferry back to Papeete and flew to Huahine the next morning. Spent 5 nights in Huahine. Another beautiful island. Fewer blue water beaches, but less touristy than Moorea. Beautiful mountains and very scenic. Flew to Raiatea in the Saturday morning of the cruise. Most places are closed on Saturdays on Raiatea. There is a grocery store open in town, and 1 lunch place, but not much else. The sailboat cruise was fantastic. It was a great way to get to see Bora Bora and Taha'a. The lagoons are wonderful. Sailing was much fun. Meals were great. You will be lucky if you are on the boat with Alex and Tomas. Alex was the cook. Thomas the captain. A lovely couple from France. They have their own sailboat in French Polynesia right now. We did end up purchasing a small package of points. A typical week uses between 100,000 and 150,000 points. (Depends on season and boat type.). They offered 1,200,000 points for about $22,000, 4,800,000 points for $67,000ish and 2,400,000 for somewhere in between the two amounts. The points are good for a 12 year period. They don't seem to haggle on prices, but they will try to entice you by offering extra points for the same cost. We could not envision going more then every 3 to 4 years, but wanted to go to more places than the RCI offerings. (They have a boat that moves to a new place every 6 months or so, and has been to the Maldives and Seychelles. We wanted to be able to book that type of sailing, which one cannot do via RCI.). We explained that we would never use even 1,200,000 points over 12 years. They offered 6,000,000 points for about $13,500 (plus an initiation fee of $900.). We finally decided to do it when they added 100,000 points to the package. That would allow us to go on 4 trips on the sailboat that will travel across the globe over a period of 7 years, and one additional trip. (The Wanderlust trips (the sailboat that moves every 6ish months is called the Wanderlust) are 150,000 points for a weeklong trip.). They are adding a new bigger yacht that is uber fancy - but we were not interested. We figured we would enjoy being "forced" to go on a sailing trip every 2 to 3 years over the next 12 years. After the sailboat trip, we flew to Maupiti, which is the gem of the French Polynesian Islands. They do not allow commercial businesses on the island - no banks, no hotels. It is like a mini Bora Bora. Beautiful waters!! We rode bicycles around the island, walked from the island to one of the motus along a shallow part of the lagoon, scuba dove with Manta rays, and swam with sharks at the the pension we stayed at. The snorkeling at all the islands was fantastic. The dog at our pension had survived (over a period of years) attacking a shark, (yes - she attacked the shark - and then the shark came at her) a sting ray (she did get stung by the ray, and spent a month on another island recuperating) and a moray eel. An amazing dog was she! Another note about Maupiti - whenever we mentioned to anyone that we would be staying in Maupiti for 5 days, the reaction was always the same - a look of longing and letting us know how lucky we were to get the opportunity to stay there. They were all correct! It was our favorite island to visit.

As for Tradewinds - I would definitely do it again! If you do Tradewinds in Guadelupe or French Polynesia, you will get the 59 or 60 foot boat (one of the luxury boats.) If you go on Tradewinds to any other RCI place, you will most likely be on a 52 foot cruise class boat. Also, if you do purchase from Tradewinds, there is no longer a 1 in 4 rule with RCI. However, for us, it wouldn't make any sense to use RCI for a cruise because we have too many other things we want to do. As an aside - if you are interested in going on a cruise that is marketed in Tradewinds site, owners can likely get a cabin for you at 1/2 the cost that is shown. This is likely a bit higher (the cost would be $3500 - $4700 for a 2 person cabin including AI fees depending on place and season) than using an RCI exchange, but you can go on a Luxury or Flagship boat, and/or a place that isn't available on RCI. I think there are a few TUG members who are also Tradewinds members who can give referrals. I don't believe you can go on a referral cruise if you have used RCI for an exchange in the past.

If anyone has any questions about French Polynesia or Tradewinds, I'd be happy to try to answer them!

On buying Tradewinds - I think if you don't care about being on a bigger boat and having air conditioning overnight, and you don't think you would want to go more than once every four years - there is no reason to buy. But if you want to ensure being on a bigger boat and/or want to go to one of the specialty places, then buying could make sense. There really isn't a resale market for ownerships that I could find anywhere. I looked for a long time before actually going on the cruise. It is possible to buy points from someone and have them book a cruise for you if you can find someone who is trying to sell off some of their points.

Good luck to any and all who are interested! It was truly a vacation of a lifetime!! (That now I will get to go on every 3 years. :))

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Chemteach, thanks for your very comprehensive post.

Does TW charge a high percentage apr if you finance? Did they go over the maintenance fees or unlocking fees?

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chemteach, thanks for your very comprehensive post.

Does TW charge a high percentage apr if you finance? Did they go over the maintenance fees or unlocking fees?
Current unlock fees (maintenance) are $740 (I unlocked 100,000 points).