• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Legitimate offer at the Pulse NYC

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
So I have come to my hometown of NYC. I stayed at the Pulse. It’s in a great location but the units are very small. I am at The Element on 39th and 8th and the rooms are bigger plus the have breakfast. Anyhow, I got 45,000 points just for doing the presentation that I did not want to do.

Anyhow their push for me was that I should go to Chairman as I am 1500 points shy and with Vistana and others coming in there will be new benefits for Chairman level. that I will want like the yachts. They offered me 2000 points and 4000 bonus points for $23,340. When I told them I could get those same 2000 points resale for $16,000 and I could get exactly what I need which was 1500 points for about $12,000, the financial guy got down to working. He came back with a hybrid deal for a platinum one bedroom Custom House which elects to 2475 DC points and the 2000 points for about $24,500. He said that it equated to $6.50 per point. The salesman tried to stress that my portfolio lacked Bonvoy points because my three weeks only had every other year exchange for Bonvoy points while Custom House was able to exchange to 100,000 Bonvoy points EVERY year. I do not see the value in Bonvoy points in exchange for a week. Plus, I told him I am from the Bronx and bleed Pinstripes. Why the heck would I want a place in Boston!
Anyhow, I explained to them I did not want any additional maintenance fees. That was going to add another $3000 in maintenance fees. They were disappointed of course.

Any thoughts from here on this offer?

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I presume you meant $16,000 not $1,600?

What was the MF for your hybrid deal, each component? Am I correct, about 3,700 points? If I am correct, those are very high MF per point.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I presume you meant $16,000 not $1,600?

What was the MF for your hybrid deal, each component? Am I correct, about 3,700 points? If I am correct, those are very high MF per point.

Thanks Steve. I edited the post.

The hybrid deal was Custom House 1 bedroom which elected to 2475 DC points and the 2000 DC points totaling 4475 DC points. I remember me calculating maintenance fees in front of them $1900 for Custom House and 1160 for the pure points and it came to $3060 I did not want. That’s .68 per point in maintenance fees. I did not want it. He tried to sell me on how well it rented in summer and the every year Bonvoy points.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, thought the MF was way too high, might as well have pure points almost!

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Yep! That was my thought. Plus, I don’t need 4000 points.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Decent offer. You’re paying about $500 more in MF’s per year but I wonder how much more Custom House can go up. They’re super high for what it is and it’s only a term ownership.

In the end, I’d probably still pass.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Not a bad price point for hybrid. But, MFees on Custom House are high. It's a nice location and historic resort, but higher MFees than worth it in my opinion. Also, you only need 1500 not 4000. Might get stuck with extra DC Pts that you paid and will continue to pay for, but perhaps not use.

Note: There is no value in exchanging MVC resorts to Bonvoy points any longer with the continued devaluation with no increase for week worth.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
So I have come to my hometown of NYC. I stayed at the Pulse. It’s in a great location but the units are very small. I am at The Element on 39th and 8th and the rooms are bigger plus the have breakfast. Anyhow, I got 45,000 points just for doing the presentation that I did not want to do.

Anyhow their push for me was that I should go to Chairman as I am 1500 points shy and with Vistana and others coming in there will be new benefits for Chairman level. that I will want like the yachts. They offered me 2000 points and 4000 bonus points for $23,340. When I told them I could get those same 2000 points resale for $16,000 and I could get exactly what I need which was 1500 points for about $12,000, the financial guy got down to working. He came back with a hybrid deal for a platinum one bedroom Custom House which elects to 2475 DC points and the 2000 points for about $24,500. He said that it equated to $6.50 per point. The salesman tried to stress that my portfolio lacked Bonvoy points because my three weeks only had every other year exchange for Bonvoy points while Custom House was able to exchange to 100,000 Bonvoy points EVERY year. I do not see the value in Bonvoy points in exchange for a week. Plus, I told him I am from the Bronx and bleed Pinstripes. Why the heck would I want a place in Boston!
Anyhow, I explained to them I did not want any additional maintenance fees. That was going to add another $3000 in maintenance fees. They were disappointed of course.

Any thoughts from here on this offer?
I can’t speak to the program since I don’t own, but first let me say! That is the right response “you bleed pinstripes why the heck would I want a place in Boston”. They won both games today! As far as not spending the additional money just for chairman from them I’d think it’s a good idea. Do you need more points? Or is more points for chairman level a nice to have? If you only need 1500, then I’d save 10K as it seems and buy them resale. Not wanting another 3K in MF is a real concern. Those fees only increase. It could be beneficial to rent additional points when needed. Also, I agree, I don’t see value in bonvoy points in exchange for a week. Seems to me like you made the right call.