• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dump?

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
I have noticed quite a few posters are using the word dump in the sightings forum.

WHY???

Do we want to stay in dumps?

Do you need to take a ....

I vote we choose another word....

Just my 2 cents.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I sensing an inner issue with the word "dump"? :ponder:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't think they are referring to the properties as dumps, but rather the dump of weeks in to the exchange system. The better term would be "bulk" or "bulk bank".

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I hate the word too. I agree with Dioxide - bulk bank or bank is a better choice.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
It comes from the term “data dump” . It’s definition: data dump is a large amount of data transferred from one system or location to another. So “dump” technically is the correct term or shortened correct term.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Bulk is a much better word in my book. Dump is just unpleasant.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually think it makes sense. Think dump truck.....back it up and unload

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
I was also taken aback by the word dump in that post in Sightings. Like these are weeks no one wants, but they are Marriott and Westin weeks, so I think someone wants 'em.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Back in the day, when computers crashed, it often resulted in a “core dump” or “memory dump” or even a “data dump.” Core dumps defaulted to the line printer, where the entire contents of the system’s memory would dump its contents, one line at a time. Savvy analysts would then take that stack of printout paper, and look up the cause and effect of the crash. The terms are those that some of us have known and used for decades.

So while I agree that out of context, dump is a distasteful word, I know the intention, and my brain substitutes “bulk bank” in its place.

I suppose we could use the term “flush,” but that opens a whole different train of thought. :)

Dave

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Funny thing, I saw a rental listing, thought what a dump,and then I saw this thread.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Back in the day, when computers crashed, it often resulted in a “core dump” or “memory dump” or even a “data dump.” Core dumps defaulted to the line printer, where the entire contents of the system’s memory would dump its contents, one line at a time. Savvy analysts would then take that stack of printout paper, and look up the cause and effect of the crash. The terms are those that some of us have known and used for decades.

So while I agree that out of context, dump is a distasteful word, I know the intention, and my brain substitutes “bulk bank” in its place.

I suppose we could use the term “flush,” but that opens a whole different train of thought. :)

Dave
Do you mean, Interval flushed the dump of inventory into the system? ;)
It’s semantics in my book. I work in tech and we always talk about data dumps. Zero negativity

Same here. Sounds right to me. I don’t see it as negative at all. Sounds natural when speaking about data. Which is exactly what inventory being placed into a system is.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never knew there were so many, many different meaning of the word "dump." I am having a memory dump right now.:wave:
What has happen to the thump up feature.:thumbup::doh:

Last edited:

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Seriously people?? If you said the word dump I would have two thoughts: the place in town that I bring my trash or what the neighbors dog is doing while squatting on my front lawn. With that said all the current usage of the word in the sightings was followed by Marriott, Vistana, DVC, Manhattan Club should leave no question in your mind that they are not referring to junk availability.

I use bulk - but could care less that other people call them.

Assuming you value the sightings, since you are looking at them. Maybe it would be best to simply appreciate the fact that someone took the time and effort to post them instead of criticizing the wording. Or heck, maybe take the time and effort yourself and post a sighting, then you can call it whatever you want.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Dump (noun) or dump (verb)?

I get no visceral twitch from either one in any of the many possible usages.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
It takes time and effort to post a sighting. Whether the word used is dump, bulk, etc. it is a sighting. The contribution to Tug with these postings are priceless.

I myself have booked various vacations due to these sightings being posted. I am very appreciative of all the tuggers who post sightings.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
It takes time and effort to post a sighting. Whether the word used is dump, bulk, etc. it is a sighting. The contribution to Tug with these postings are priceless.

I myself have booked various vacations due to these sightings being posted am very appreciative of all the tuggers who post sightings.
So very true. You have a wonderful way of looking at things. :)

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
i have no real problem with the use of "dump". Many English words have multiple uses, depending upon the context.

And while we are at it, I too have wondered why the "thumbs-up" emoticon is no longer working? :thumbup: Somewhat annoying.

turkel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Grand Chateau
Context, I was lol while posting the initial post. I am a labor and delivery nurse and although I have heard of a data dump my thoughts on the word bump aren’t related to IT.

I do appreciate the sightings forum and all who have the skill to post there. I certainly didn’t intend to offend.

The post was meant to be a light hearted jest apparently this didn’t translate to some.

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
You have to pass the lingo test or you can't play in the TUG pool. LOL

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned