• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC Chicago

TDub1313

Reaction score
Bump. Would like some info to as this is the only option for me that is within driving distance. Just wondered if spending the weekend there (as we do a few times a year) is worth the points?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
I stayed at that location prior to it becoming HGV. Great location. Only you can decide if it’s worth the points over cash.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Looks like no included food options as part of the HGVC property. If you have HHonors status that would give you breakfast at Doubletree do you get breakfast at the hotel? (I'm guessing no but checking.)

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Do you check reviews on Trip Advisor?
If I can’t find reviews on TUG, I go to trip advisor. RCI uses them too!

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
I stayed at that location prior to it becoming HGV. Great location. Only you can decide if it’s worth the points over cash.
I agree. We walked by it this weekend on our way to a play. Close to Whole Foods, cheap parking (using parkwhiz or spothero), close to shopping. Easy access from the Metra/L/South Shore stations

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I assume that HGVC Chicago was converted from a previous hotel - what was it before they converted it into an HGVC? I see that it only has "guest rooms" and one bedrooms...

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I assume that HGVC Chicago was converted from a previous hotel - what was it before they converted it into an HGVC? I see that it only has "guest rooms" and one bedrooms...
It was (and still is) a Doubletree hotel. They just converted some of the top floors, I believe.

Kurt

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
  • The Chicago and Charleston locations are new and small, so won't have a material impact on sales growth in 2019. Chicago is currently only 16 units and they just started selling Charleston inventory out of the Washington, DC sales center.

Above is from the report on second quarter earnings call in another thread. Chicago being only 16 units doesn't really make sense to me. Does anyone have direct knowledge on this?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
  • The Chicago and Charleston locations are new and small, so won't have a material impact on sales growth in 2019. Chicago is currently only 16 units and they just started selling Charleston inventory out of the Washington, DC sales center.

Above is from the report on second quarter earnings call in another thread. Chicago being only 16 units doesn't really make sense to me. Does anyone have direct knowledge on this?

I interpreted that as meaning that so far they had only converted/acquired 16 units for HGVC from their development partner. They are converting part of the Doubletree Hotel, so based on their Asset-Light development model, they will only convert/acquire units for HGVC gradually as they need inventory to sell. Not sure what the full build-out is.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I'll be there in a month -- I'll see if I can get any info from the staff there.

Kurt

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Inventory will be delivered in phases.

The following is from the October 2018 Club Traveler

Home to Navy Pier, Wrigley Field—the second-oldest Major League ballpark—more than 700 public artworks and 5,000 restaurants, Chicago is also about to become a home away from home for Club Members. That’s right, Hilton Grand Vacations is opening its first Windy City location in the top six floors of the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Chicago – Magnificent Mile.

Where Will it be Located?

The property sits between Navy Pier and the Magnificent Mile, which features more than 460 stores, 275 restaurants and myriad attractions like live entertainment, artwork and museums along Michigan Avenue. Plus, it’s just a stone’s throw from other top sites including Millennium Park, Grant Park and The Chicago Theatre.

What are the Property’s Plans?

HGV, alongside its purchasing partners Related Fund Management and The Chartres Lodging Group, will acquire the new property inventory in phases. That’s anticipated to begin in the second quarter of 2019.

However, in the fourth quarter of 2018, the current property owner will begin renovating and converting the top six floors into 78 studio and one-bedroom units. These units will become the HGV property and will maintain the high HGV standards Members are accustomed to.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I’ve been to Chicago many times and that’s a good location for access to the sites, shopping and restaurants. Hopefully we will have a chance to stay there at some point.

Best regards.

Mike

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon
I live in the Chicago area and I’m doing a Staycation at this club this weekend and typing this message from the chair in the living room of a 1BP.

Location is pretty awesome as close-by to Navy Pier, Water Tower, Mag Mile, River North and so much more.

It’s a 26 story building and HGVC is taking the top 6 floors for conversion. My room is on the 26th floor and views are pretty good. They have a sales office on the first floor right by the elevators. I briefly engaged the manager at the door asking if it was the owners lounge (lol) as I was looking for coffee.

Invited me in for coffee and a muffin and asked the status of this property. He said they’ll continue to add units to the top six floors as they work to convert from a Doubletree on those floors to HGVC. He wanted my info and said I had to go on a walking tour. Kinda true as was doing a walking crime tour in the afternoon that day.

Pool is nice and is an outdoor pool on roof of 5th floor next to hotel and it and all other amenities are shared with Doubletree guests.

The 1BP has basically a wet bar with a microwave, wine fridge, and bar sink. There aren’t any dishes but a few glasses in a cabinet over the microwave. There’s a table next to the wet bar with four chairs, a nice sofa with a pull out bed. Coolest feature is electronic shades that work on a wall controller. My 8 year old is very impressed with that feature

Overall I would say it’s a nice upgraded suite like an Embassy Suites but nicer finishings.

I stayed at The District in Washington DC and this setup is pretty much the same except this is a HGVC location vs. Hilton Club.

I would for sure come back here in the future because the location is where I want to be in City of Chicago. Open season rates and Hilton Honors points are pretty high considering it’s a high end Embassy Suites set-up

I would seriously consider just booking the Doubletree rooms directly or the Embassy Suites which is one block away.

Hopefully this gives everyone a better feel of HGVC Chicago

craig1mead

Reaction score
We just stayed in Chicago HGVC at Doubletree Chicago. Only the top floor is open now, a total of 14 units, and 2 of them are used for sales tours so that is why not many available. Another floor will open next year. Great views from any side, with side views to Lake Michigan. 20% discount card for lots of places, and Labriola's was a treat with a discount. Get the doubletree cookies at check in, and if they have them late day during your stay. Two $10 drink coupons also available at check-in, but I think most HGVC members will skip the bar's high price. Good parking nearby 3 block walk at Ogden Plaza parking garage via Spothero. Max $15 to take a taxi to anything in Chicago area (Lincoln Park bars, Chinatown, Wrigley area bars, Second City). About 6 blocks to Navy Pier, and 3 blocks from the new Starbucks 5 story roastery on Michigan Ave. Two blocks to an AMC theater for movies, or Whole Foods large grocery store for provisions, or Garrett's Popcorn. Sales team is in the lobby pushing for a visit at either 830 or 1130, so be prepared. Starbucks in the lobby, plus a healthy convenience store for food/drink/ice cream.