• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Resale &VIP

drbeetee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been a resale owner with Wyndham for about 7 years. I am in the process of getting PIC weeks set up so I can qualify for VIP with a developer purchase does anyone have any regrets from making that investment?

Last edited:

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Nope. My Gold VIP membership cost me $35k. VIP Gold can run anywhere from $80k to $177k. I have 292,000 retail points and the rest are PIC. It would have been cheaper but one of our PICs is only a 2 bedroom. It is my mom’s timeshare and she wanted to get more out if timeshares. There is a whole process for exchanging the weeks for points, and it’s $89 per PIC week to do it, but it’s worth it to save 10’s of thousands of dollars. You do have maintenance fees on the PIC weeks. You have to have them paid in full before you can do the exchange.

Also, you do it have to do the exchange if you don’t want to. They will count towards VIP even if you don’t exchange. However, if you want to book with PIC points, you have to do the exchange. If you do the exchange, you cannot use the week for that year, or it’s trading power. You can only do one of those three options every year. You decide every year if you want to use the points, use the week, or use the trading power.

If you can afford it, go straight Gold or Platinum. You’ll get more out if your VIP membership with the unlimited reservation transaction credits, 9 months to move points forward, RARP, etc. I am all the time booking and rebooking. If book something far out and at the 60 day mark, I’ll rebook at a discount if it’s available. That changes my upgrade priority though. It would put me further down the chain, but I’ve usually not had problems with getting upgrades.

Last edited:

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
No regrets at all!!
We started out with resale after rescinding a direct purchase with Wyndham. Then went back to Wyndham telesales buying a CWA contract enrolling two 3 bedroom PICs.
I won’t go into my cost as I’ve had some unique situations on the way to VIP Platinum, Presidential Reserve
I looked at it as an investment in our family, our kids love the resorts!!
Our grandkids love & enjoy the resorts the most of all!!

Richelle points out excellent reasons why she has no regrets. I’ll add we’ve had good results on room request! I’m not going to look at parking ramp from the balcony & so far we haven’t.

There are others on here that bought resale first before buying from Wyndham enrolling PICs & I haven’t seen one of them say they regretted it

Some will never be convinced that VIP Gold or higher is worth the $$ while some of us VIPs will never be convinced that it wasn’t worth it!!

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
The price point is directly correlated to happiness in the VIP equation.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
The price point is directly correlated to happiness in the VIP equation.
The VIPs that have regrets or say it wasn’t worth it seem to find TUG
I’ve met numerous Platinum & PR owners that enjoy their ownership, I don’t bring up resales or TUG if their happy campers unless they ask where I learned how to use our ownership.
I see no need to ruin their enjoyment bad mouthing Wyndham, their ownership or point out what they could’ve saved using PICs so I’ll just point out some ideas to help them with booking etc
If their not happy is when I bring up TUG & resales to help them learn how to get more out of their ownership.

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
The VIPs that have regrets or say it wasn’t wort it seem to find TUG
I’ve met numerous Platinum & PR owners that enjoy their ownership, I don’t bring up resales or TUG if their happy campers unless they ask where I learned how to use our ownership.
I see no need to ruin their enjoyment bad mouthing Wyndham, their ownership or point out what they could’ve saved using PICs so I’ll just point out some ideas to help them with booking etc
If their not happy is when I bring up TUG & resales to help them learn how to get more out of their ownership.

True.... probably a cause and effort correlation. Unhappy VIP's are trying to out what they are missing and find TUG.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
If you can obtain VIP with a price point you are happy with then yes.

I got my VIPP by a combo of Pre Wyndham fixed week converted they were then purchased by Fairfield/Wyndham, 2 donated, 2 resales, 2 PIC, an equity trade (of my original fixed week converted), 1 and only 1 Wyndham developer purchase of 160K and good timing. I have about $31K in purchase price to obtain Platinum Status. This did not include the cost of purchasing the two PIC contracts I have. I still have those but I only use them to obtain Platinum status, I use them and never deposit into Wyndham. I have 1.224M on paper but only use 916K per year within Wyndham. I also got them to write in that VIPP was included in the deal. When they went back a few years ago and tried to take it away because of the resales, I got it it reinstated because of that clause I included on the contract.

Of course my original purchase was in 1995. My VIPP was in 2006. So Nearly 25 years on my original purchase and 13 years as Platinum, I think I have my ROI covered. It used to be better with the previous online system, but it is still not bad. I average about 2-3 Million points a year in value of what units I receive if you did not include the discount and the upgrades. I also saved a lot with the unlimited HK and transactions fees. With guest fees I get 30 free GC per year, and I have never run out.

Here is my previous 3 years usages....
Year #Nights Points Used Value Obtained (At full points rate)
2018 74 946,800 2,785,050
2017 77 718,750 2,624,900
2016 147 1,402,750 5,422,200 (when it was easy to cancel and rebook online)

Last edited:

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you can obtain VIP with a price point you are happy with then yes.

I got my VIPP by a combo of Pre Wyndham fixed week converted there were then purchased by Fairfield/Wyndham, 2 donated, 2 resales, 2 PIC, an equity trade (of my original fixed week converted), 1 and only 1 Wyndham developer purchase of 160K and good timing. I have about $31K in purchase price to obtain Platinum Status. This did not include the cost of purchasing the two PIC contracts I have. I still have those but I only use them to obtain Platinum status, I use them and never deposit into Wyndham. I also got them to write in that VIPP was included in the deal. When they went back a few years ago and tried to take it away because of the resales, I got it it reinstated because of that clause I included on the contract.

Of course my original purchase was in 1995. My VIPP was in 2006. So Nearly 25 years on my original purchase and 13 years as Platinum, I think I have my ROI covered. It used to be better with the previous online system, but it is still not bad. I average about 2-3 Million points a year in value of what units I receive if you did not include the discount and the upgrades. I also save a lot of unlimited HK and transactions fees. With guest fees I get 30 free GC per year, and I have never run out.

Here is my previous 3 years usages....
Year #Nights Points Used Value Obtained (At full points rate)
2018 74 946,800 2,785,050
2017 77 718,750 2,624,900
2016 147 1,402,750 5,422,200 (when it was easy to cancel and rebook online)
Wow the Cancel and rebook change has really affected your totals. Its almost almost a 50% decrease from 2016. Now I see why many VIP members have complained about the loss of it.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Wow the Cancel and rebook change has really affected your totals. Its almost almost a 50% decrease from 2016. Now I see why many VIP members have complained about the loss of it.

yup, between pooling and the cancel and rebook it has just tighten up the gaping wide flexibility that Wyndham use to have. In all honesty it is likely working now more like Wyndham intended in the first place. But owners who owned VIPP back a few years ago really notice a difference.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I bought in July 2018. Bought locally at a resort, rescinded, found two resale PIC weeks, bought back into Wyndham via telesales. Zero regrets so far. We are temp VIPP until Sept 2020 and then drop down to VIPG permanently. PIC is the only way I was able to justify the cost with any kind of reasonable breakeven when compared to a straight resale purchase. I've also recently obtained a large resale NH contract (689k) and am currently waiting for the contract transfer to finalize. I went the opposite route of most people, I bought retail first with PIC, then added resale after the fact. Either way works, it's just a question of what you want and how you vacation. We get a lot of value out of VIPP, about 75% of our bookings are all in the 60 day discount window, and we almost always receive a free room upgrade, but this is because we tend to vacation outside of prime seasons, when availability is better. The other 25% of our bookings are done far in advance for our larger family vacations. All in all, we are very happy with the choices we've made to date. Now if I could just figure out a way to get up to permanent VIPP without breaking the bank. :)

drbeetee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow thank you guys for your wonderful answers! It seems like they crippled VIPP with the loss of cancel rebook. I remember they changed the online system, it never affected me as a resale owner. I might want to get up to VIPG...I think I can get up to VIP silver for roughly 17k! Decisions Decisons...I am thinking VIPG would be closer to 25k plus the increase in MFs. I like how people still actually use their enrolled PICs just for the point value but not the actual points!

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
Only thing I don't like about my VIP Platinum/Presidential Reserve ownership is the $2,719.59 that gets charged to my credit card every month.

I did like it better when my points went further. I'm doing okay though. I burned through 4.77 million points and have a current points balance of ZERO -- nothing left until 2020.

drbeetee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought in July 2018. Bought locally at a resort, rescinded, found two resale PIC weeks, bought back into Wyndham via telesales. Zero regrets so far. We are temp VIPP until Sept 2020 and then drop down to VIPG permanently. PIC is the only way I was able to justify the cost with any kind of reasonable breakeven when compared to a straight resale purchase. I've also recently obtained a large resale NH contract (689k) and am currently waiting for the contract transfer to finalize. I went the opposite route of most people, I bought retail first with PIC, then added resale after the fact. Either way works, it's just a question of what you want and how you vacation. We get a lot of value out of VIPP, about 75% of our bookings are all in the 60 day discount window, and we almost always receive a free room upgrade, but this is because we tend to vacation outside of prime seasons, when availability is better. The other 25% of our bookings are done far in advance for our larger family vacations. All in all, we are very happy with the choices we've made to date. Now if I could just figure out a way to get up to permanent VIPP without breaking the bank. :)

I do a lot of off peak travel myself! How many points did you intially but with Wyndham? Was it one purchase or two?

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I do a lot of off peak travel myself! How many points did you intially but with Wyndham? Was it one purchase or two?

A single developer purchase via telesales consisting of two 105k/295k CWA developer contracts coupled with the two PIC contracts. We own 210k CWA points coupled with 508k PIC points annually. We just added a 689k NH resale contract and are in the deed transfer process at present.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
What did you receive for the 15k purchase?

105k CWA to bring in my PICs. And my
seven resales are in that price.

So count on being able to make one developer purchase. They are very quick to flag owners for no further purchases.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am VIPG with 1.8 million that cost me $15,750. It is that next step that is a doozy.
105k CWA to bring in my PICs. And my
seven resales are in that price.

So count on being able to make one developer purchase. They are very quick to flag owners for no further purchases.
Well done.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well done.
Well done?? You were back to bashing VIPs yesterday!
Quote dgalati: the buyer got a better deal than buying from the developer. Or worse buying up to VIP from developer.

You set the record for contradictions!!!

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I would like to see @dgalati and @Braindead, both of whom I follow, meet in person. Granted, been only tug for only two (2), but I never seen such personal animus between two tuggers.

lds337

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, HGVC Ocean 22, HGVC Sunrise Lodge, The Crane HGVC Sheraton Desert Oasis, Westin Kierland, and Wyndham Glacier Canyon