• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Where to go August 2020?

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know it's a year away but I'm panicking because I still have 3500 points to book for 2020 and I don't have plans figured out yet. I've been doing some searching to see what's available and I'm questioning myself on some of this.

Looks like Aug 1-8 is available at many locations. I have the opportunity to book any of the following.

Grande Ocean
Ocean Watch
St. Kitts
Frenchman's Cove
Marco Island
Newport Coast

We're heading to Grande Ocean next week so that could determine if we want to go back. But being august, I wonder how these other options would be. I know it would be hot and humid at pretty much all of these.

Mostly I want to get my reservation made as I can always cancel. If you had to pick one right now where would you go? When we travel, kids will be almost 5, 7.5, and 10.

I think since it will be the beginning of August, chances for Hurricanes are slightly less than compared to September. Please comment if otherwise.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I know it's a year away but I'm panicking because I still have 3500 points to book for 2020 and I don't have plans figured out yet. I've been doing some searching to see what's available and I'm questioning myself on some of this.

Looks like Aug 1-8 is available at many locations. I have the opportunity to book any of the following.

Grande Ocean
Ocean Watch
St. Kitts
Frenchman's Cove
Marco Island
Newport Coast

We're heading to Grande Ocean next week so that could determine if we want to go back. But being august, I wonder how these other options would be. I know it would be hot and humid at pretty much all of these.

Mostly I want to get my reservation made as I can always cancel. If you had to pick one right now where would you go? When we travel, kids will be almost 5, 7.5, and 10.

I think since it will be the beginning of August, chances for Hurricanes are slightly less than compared to September. Please comment if otherwise.

Of those, Ocean Watch is our favorite and the one we have been to most often (we have stayed in each of the 5 buildings at one time or another). It is super kid-friendly with a terrific kids center staff and lots of activities. There is plenty to do off-property as well. If you go, find Coach Kim and say 'Hello'. She has been a fixture for our kids over the past decade.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Grande Ocean
Ocean Watch
St. Kitts
Frenchman's Cove
Marco Island
Newport Coast

In St Kitts it will be one of the hottest and wettest months, but quieter and good value.
It is also well into the hurricane season, although it was way back in 2010 when it was last really hit by any sort of damaging hurricane.

Prooney1

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande vista
Desert ridge
DC points
in My opinion, Hilton head is much more desirable than mrytle beach. Especially with a young family

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
For 3,450 points, ignoring the 30% within 60 day discount that would likely be available, you could do 2 weeks in Utah. It would avoid the very hot climates on your list (exception being Newport), and, there is so much to do there. Even for kids. I know it wasn't on your list though.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll add that Frenchmans Cove would be enjoyable. We went late July 2018 and thought it would be Hilton Head hot but was very surprised that the weather was very moderate in the 78-82 range and was told that is the case year round. Very nice infinity pool and small beach location. The hotel should be redone by then AND assuming we'll still have access.

Looking at the list and knowing many of these resorts personally and knowing Marriott I doubt any choice will be bad.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
My personal opinion based on years of watching and tracking Atlantic hurricanes is the risk of storms is much less in early August in the southeastern US than it is down in the Caribbean at St Thomas and St Kitts. Every year is different, though. But based on averages, I would say your chances of tropical weather would be less at Grande Ocean, Ocean Watch, and Marco Island, and somewhat higher at Frenchman's Cove and St Kitts. All will be humid and expect afternoon thunderstorms almost every afternoon in the SC and FL locations. Obviously, Newport Coast would probably have the best, least humid weather.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
For 3,450 points, ignoring the 30% within 60 day discount that would likely be available, you could do 2 weeks in Utah. It would avoid the very hot climates on your list (exception being Newport), and, there is so much to do there. Even for kids. I know it wasn't on your list though.

Since I live in the Salt Lake valley (45 min from Park City) I only stay there during the mud weeks. That’s why I'm looking at locations on the coast.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I should probably add to my post above about tropical weather, that while the relative risk is probably somewhat less in SC/FL in early August than the eastern Caribbean, in both places the early August risk is considerably less than later in the month and in September/early October.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are you willing to do a non-Marriott? Could easily (as you know) rent your DC points and rent something else back in.

Things that my family has enjoyed recently in summer (with kids slightly younger than yours) are HGVC Marbrisa and Worldmark Vancouver. I don't own either marriott or hgvc but like the Marbrisa location better than Newport.

The Pacific Coast is also a great summer destination, and you can mix a city (Vancouver/Seattle/Victoria) with a coastal/mountain (Oregon/WA/BC coast, whistler) to make a full stay. I like Worldmark for the coast, but the Hyatt in Carmel, CA would be a higher end choice.

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I would choose Newport Coast given the time of year if you haven’t been there recently or if you have but really enjoyed it. It’s also a shorter flight than other locations you mentioned. You have a nice problem to solve. Have fun.

Best regards.

Mike

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven’t been to Newport, so skipping that my vote would be Marco island.
Love that resort and area and to me the gulf coast seems less muggy than Hilton head/ myrtle beach. Lots to do at the resort or right along the beach.
Myrtle beach in August a few years ago was our worst trip ever- too hot and muggy to enjoy anything.

Last edited:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
With the kids my choice would be Oceanwatch, Myrtle Beach. Beautiful resort, right on the beach with lots of things to do with the kids in the area.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
All likely good choices. Wait and see if you like Grand Ocean. Hilton Head is fantastic, if you like outdoor activities (pool, biking, tennis, golf, etc). Ocean Watch is also a fantastic resort. We prefer HHI to Myrtle Beach, but also prefer the resort of Ocean Watch for all on HHI. Ocean Watch is in North Myrtle, so technically not part of the 'strip'.

As you know, it will be hot and humid in August for SC or FL. Likely same for Virgin Islands. To my family, we're used to the late summer heat being in NC (also hot and humid in August). If you are good with hanging at a pool and beach in warm weather like us, I see no issues. We love summer and guaranteed warmth for outdoor swimming all week at vacation.

My only caution would be that all locations listed (minus Newport) are within hurricane zone and season in August. This is a risk you will just have to assess. Risk of a rainy week or worse. While I am not a fan of travel insurance, I may elect to purchase in future for SC/FL/VI vacations in summer. We've been hit with storms twice in HHI, once in FL and once at St Kitts.....all during summer timeframes. Only forced evacuation once, but the other times it was enough to put a very large damper on a nice vacation (especially with young kids stuck inside while it rains and pours).

Born2Travel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kuleana, Sands of Kahana, Marriott Newport Coast Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark, Foxrun
Newport Coast - no hurricanes, better weather and plenty to do in the area.

2disneydads

TUG Member
Reaction score
I like the Newport Coast option. That's a great time to visit there. Plus it's a spectacular resort.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take St. Kitts off of the list. Too many chances for hurricanes and there aren't a lot of easy ways to get off the island without spending a fortune in airfare at the last minute.

Personally, I'd take Newport Coast. It will be perfect weather, and should be an easy flight from Salt Lake City.

Hilton Head is awesome, but you are going to find out how hot it gets very soon. If you are good with it, then go for it. The Myrtle Beach resort is fun, and you may want to save points and stay in the garden view section. It is actually really pretty and relaxing, has a better pool, and it's a quick walk to the beach. The footprint of the resort is small though and your beach is shared with the Marriott hotel to the right. To the left is residential.

Marco will be similarly hot, and not as much to do for your kids compared to the other destinations.

I've never been to Frenchmen's Reef, but our good friends went in August three or four years ago and loved it.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Take St. Kitts off of the list. Too many chances for hurricanes and there aren't a lot of easy ways to get off the island without spending a fortune in airfare at the last minute.

Personally, I'd take Newport Coast. It will be perfect weather, and should be an easy flight from Salt Lake City.

Hilton Head is awesome, but you are going to find out how hot it gets very soon. If you are good with it, then go for it. The Myrtle Beach resort is fun, and you may want to save points and stay in the garden view section. It is actually really pretty and relaxing, has a better pool, and it's a quick walk to the beach. The footprint of the resort is small though and your beach is shared with the Marriott hotel to the right. To the left is residential.

Marco will be similarly hot, and not as much to do for your kids compared to the other destinations.

I've never been to Frenchmen's Reef, but our good friends went in August three or four years ago and loved it.
Whilst there is always a risk, St Kitts was considered to be outside of the hurricane belt until 2004.
There has really only been one hurricane early in this century which caused widespread damage and even hurricanes Irma and Maria in 2017 had relatively minor impact on the island.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Heat, humidity and hurricanes could mess with most of your options. Not just hurricanes but those pesky tropical storms that don’t make the news are a problem. Heat and humidity are enough to make me cringe at the thought of SC in August.

Another thing you should consider if you’re traveling for just one week.....time difference and the strain it puts on the children’s moods and subsequently the overall satisfaction of the vacation. I know you’re visiting SC this month. Please keep this in mind when 10a.m. feels like the crack of dawn to them and at 10p.m. they want dinner even though you grilled them burgers just 3 hours before.

Be ready to go with the flow. Their internal clocks will be trying to adjust.

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go with NCV. It should have the best weather, it's a great resort, and you could drive (if you're up for a 10 hour drive).

Your kids should love the activities on site. Even though it was a little annoying, the last time we went we pretty much planned our day around the activities that our then four year old wanted to do.

While it will be hot, it's actually a pretty decent time to go to Disneyland (if you're so inclined). This is because the lower level annual pass holders are still blocked out, and it's just a bit off of peak season (many schools in neighboring states start at the end of July). Lastly, nearly all rides should be open as they typically do their annual refurbs in September.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
While it will be hot, it's actually a pretty decent time to go to Disneyland (if you're so inclined). This is because the lower level annual pass holders are still blocked out, and it's just a bit off of peak season (many schools in neighboring states start at the end of July). Lastly, nearly all rides should be open as they typically do their annual refurbs in September.

I'd probably pick NCV too -- Legoland is also a good alternative for younger kids like yours and it is only just over an hours drive from there, Seaworld is an hour and a half. Very manageable for day-tripping to lots of beaches and nice towns too.

jont

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enrolled in Marriott DC/
MOW /MGC /MCV/MGO / Trust Points
Steve
Although its hard to turn down Grande Ocean, I would suggest you try Ocean Watch as a comparison.There are lots of activities for children, the resort has matured nicely during the past 15 years and there is more commercial development (resturants and shops) filling in nearby.I was fortunate to spend a weekend there last month with Marty and his lovely wife Mona and they were both impressed.I even managed to find some excellent dining establishments (talk about Pressure) that they throughly enjoyed.

Reactions: jme