• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bought DC points at sales presentation Pulse San Fran.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Yes

Aruba, St. Kitts and Spain weeks are the point purchase component in a hybrid deal, bundled with the best high point/low MF resort week you can find.
That’s for a hybrid deal with purchasing points in addition to a week purchase. I can also purchase an enrolled Aruba week without a points purchase correct?

I bought a resale week directly from Marriott and an Aruba week directly from Marriott. It was like a hybrid but my Aruba week functioned like a points purchase. Marriott had both weeks enrolled. They allow St. Kitts, Aruba Surf and Spain weeks act as points purchases. There have been a couple of weeks owners here who have enrolled 7+ resale weeks with an Aruba purchase. They had already purchased those weeks resale from a third party. I purchased my resale from Marriott.

So would you recommend picking up resale weeks first THEN pick up a resale week through MVC and enroll the resale weeks purchase if/when they offer an enrollment promo?

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hi there everyone. Just returned from our summer vacation trip. I was lucky to get an exchange for the new Marriott Pulse in San Fran this past week. On side note, sorry to not responding to the others that wanted the extra nights I did not need. It was taken within minutes of me posting the free nights. I was on vacation and not really bothering with internet.

Got a call to do a 90min presentation for $150 Amex gift card while at the Pulse. Asked wife and she agreed which surprised me. Called the body snatcher back and set up a 930 appointment for Wed July 30. Figure would be like the last presentation 4 years ago and they would let us go after seeing our resale portfolio of non eligble weels.

Went down and was asked to fill out the standard questionnaire to I figure give the salesperson something to sell us. Saleswoman introduced herself 5 min later and said that she would be doing our presentation. Went to her office and she looked over our questionnaire and said how we could do many things with the new DC points system. She told some half truths and out right lies and I had to bite my tongue to not correct her as this would only make the presentation longer. What was funny was she did not have paperwork on what we owned with marriott. She finally asked what we would like to purchase at the cheap price of $14.36 per point (or there abouts). Told her we had no use for points as we owned 42 weeks with marriott. She was shocked and excused herself from the room.

5 minutes later a gentleman came in with a printout that listed all our MVC weeks. He also brought a paper saying that if we bought 5500 DC points he would let us enroll 7 weeks into the points program. I said not interested as I am happy with our weeks ownership and 97% trading via II. He then asked what would get to buy DC points. I replied that I would buy 5000 points if they would enroll my 38 non eligible weeks into the points program. He said he would ask but he didnt think it was possible. Came back 10 minutes later and asked if I bought the Grand Residence units from thier authorized resalers. I said yes and he told me that I could buy 5000 points and pay $5k to enroll one quartershare (13 weeks). The offer he presented is the standard enrollment for grand residence quarter share owners that bought after the cutoff. I said no thanks and thought I would be on my way. I countered that I would do it if he would enroll both quartershares (26 weeks) and 7 of my non eligible weeks. To make a long story short, I was able to enroll two quartershares at grand residence (26 weeks) and two units into the dc points program for a purchase of 5000 dc points. There is no language saying that if I sold the dc points the weeks would be unenrolled in the program. Now I can also enroll my 2 eligible weeks also into the program. This would save me about $6k a year in exchange and lock off fees. I figure it would take 14 years in exchange and lock off fee savings to recoup the $58k purchase if I keep the 5000 dc points. In my calculations, I took into account the 3% interest I would get if I kept the $58k in savings.

Now I ask the knowledgeable tug community for your opinions on this. I am still within my rescission period so would like to know your thoughts. I have only bought resale for our MVC and HGVC units (thanks to finding TUG over a decade ago before buying our first timeshare). Have only bought direct from DVC and am happy with that purchase. The purchase is not a hardship on our finances. Also have been staying at MKO 38+ weeks a year for the past 4/5 years and will continue to do so hopefully. So those exchange fees are a real expense for us.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Sorry for the long winded post.

Frank, I know you have been thinking about this for a long time. They didn’t give you everything you wanted, but it sounds pretty good. Given your long term plans it sounds like a good deal. Enjoy.

Best regards.

Mike

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Clearly well thought out by you and positioned properly by Marriott. If the financials aren't a burden, I'd say the value is well worth enabling your enrollment of what is a very large chunk of your portfolio. That enables a lot of opportunity via DC Pts in future....and as you indicated, does save on fees. Kudos to you for pushing back on Marriott and getting some of what you wanted, even if not all.

I would also love to see the chart you have for Marriott Grand Residence quarter shares. Appears you and GoldenVIKE have found ways to use that to your advantage for a very large scale enrolled DC Pts option. I'm intrigued by this and need to learn more on it.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
That’s for a hybrid deal with purchasing points in addition to a week purchase. I can also purchase an enrolled Aruba week without a points purchase correct?

So would you recommend picking up resale weeks first THEN pick up a resale week through MVC and enroll the resale weeks purchase if/when they offer an enrollment promo?

I would say buy a resales week(s} and then buy one of those Aruba, St. Kitts or Spain weeks or even points. I like the weeks because high value points weeks have a lower maintenance fee per point. My two weeks of points are .395 this year.

Also, those Aruba, St. Kitts and Spain weeks cannot be placed in the trust. That’s why they still sell them as weeks. Also those properties are RTU’s right to use, not deeded weeks.

I would caution about the purchase because I hear Marriott may be stopping hybrid deals and although they have offered these specials over the past several years, they could discontinue them. Just an FYI.i heard about the hybrid discontinuing from a salesman this weekend as he was unsuccessfully trying to sell me more.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

There are several different transactions that can be structured with MVC Sales:

1) Buy an Aruba (or Spain, maybe St Kitts) week from Marriott Central Sales (or International office). That week comes enrolled and can be elected for points. If the week is worth 3750 points, that is your points available to elect.
2) Do the same as in #1, but then also buy another U.S. resale week from Marriott at the same time, and both weeks will be enrolled. So, lets say you bought the 3750 Aruba week in #1, and also bought a Gold OF resale at Hilton Head Grande Ocean worth 3850 points; both come enrolled and you have 7600 points.
3) Buy the same Gold Grande Ocean week in #2 worth 3850 from Marriott Sales (or any other US resale week they have), but also buy at least 3000 Trust points from them within 12 months (they might require you to buy at least 4000 to match the point value of Grande Ocean - I've seen it done both ways - sometimes they require matching points other times 3000 is enough). By buying the points, the Grande Ocean week becomes enrolled, and you have 6850 points (or 7850 if you have to buy 4000).
4) If you already own unenrolled resale weeks bought after June 2010, from time-to-time they will offer promos to enroll them by buying Trust points - 3000 points to enroll 1 week, 4000 to enroll 2, or 5500 to enroll 7.

Items 1, 2, 3 are offered all the time; #4 only at certain times. Which to do? You have to look at the numbers and see which generates the best cost per point. Each deal is different.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I would say buy a resales week(s} and then buy one of those Aruba, St. Kitts or Spain weeks or even points. I like the weeks because high value points weeks have a lower maintenance fee per point. My two weeks of points are .395 this year.

Also, those Aruba, St. Kitts and Spain weeks cannot be placed in the trust. That’s why they still sell them as weeks. Also those properties are RTU’s right to use, not deeded weeks.

I would caution about the purchase because I hear Marriott may be stopping hybrid deals and although they have offered these specials over the past several years, they could discontinue them. Just an FYI.i heard about the hybrid discontinuing from a salesman this weekend as he was unsuccessfully trying to sell me more.
The sales rep today when I inquired about hybrid said it’s a great way to “buy in” its all so confusing.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

1) Buy an Aruba (or Spain, maybe St Kitts) week from Marriott Central Sales (or International office). That week comes enrolled and can be elected for points. If the week is worth 3750 points, that is your points available to elect.
2) Do the same as in #1, but then also buy another U.S. resale week from Marriott at the same time, and both weeks will be enrolled. So, lets say you bought the 3750 Aruba week in #1, and also bought a Gold OF resale at Hilton Head Grande Ocean worth 3850 points; both come enrolled and you have 7600 points.
3) Buy the same Gold Grande Ocean week in #2 worth 3850 from Marriott Sales, but also buy at least 3000 Trust points from them within 12 months (they might require you to buy at least 4000 to match the point value of Grande Ocean - I've seen it done both ways - sometimes they require matching points other times 3000 is enough). By buying the points, the Grande Ocean week becomes enrolled, and you have 6850 points (or 7850 if you have to buy 4000).
4) If you already own unenrolled resale weeks bought after June 2010, from time-to-time they will offer promos to enroll them by buying Trust points - 3000 points to enroll 1 week, 4000 to enroll 2, or 5500 to enroll 7.

Items 1, 2, 3 are offered all the time; #4 only at certain times. Which to do? You have to look at the numbers and see which generates the best cost per point. Each deal is different.
That helps a lot actually. Thank you. Naturally, I’m looking for the best deal with lowest annual fee. It’s either an MVC or switch gears and go HGVC. Although I’d prefer the locations available through MVC.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

The sales rep today when I inquired about hybrid said it’s a great way to “buy in” its all so confusing.

People have been reporting on TUG for years that some sales reps use the "Hybrids are going away soon" pitch. So far, it hasn't happened; although as they say, "past performance is no guarantee of future results."

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
They used the hybrids are going away this past Monday here at Summit Watch.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
I’d push for more unenrolled weeks to be enrolled. How many points in total are your enrolled weeks worth combined?
Grand residence about 62k points on the low end plus about 5500 points for 2 enrolled weeks and another 3600 for the eligible Willowridge units equals about 71k electable points and the 5k trust points makes it around 76k DC points.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you rented half of those at 60 cents, you'd have $22k towards MF. Probably funding all of it.

scpoidog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina
While not perfect, this is probably as good an offer as you'll get as I know you've been trying to do this for a while. As you're a master at trading, giving up that many weeks that you can split up and retrade shouldn't impact your "residence" at MKO. Enjoy your options!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Clearly well thought out by you and positioned properly by Marriott. If the financials aren't a burden, I'd say the value is well worth enabling your enrollment of what is a very large chunk of your portfolio. That enables a lot of opportunity via DC Pts in future....and as you indicated, does save on fees. Kudos to you for pushing back on Marriott and getting some of what you wanted, even if not all.

I would also love to see the chart you have for Marriott Grand Residence quarter shares. Appears you and GoldenVIKE have found ways to use that to your advantage for a very large scale enrolled DC Pts option. I'm intrigued by this and need to learn more on it.
Pm me your email and i will forward the 2019 chart.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

MVC was offering #4 as of this past Wednesday. This was the first thing offered to me by the sales person/manager. There was no way I am buying 33k dc points for $350,000 to enroll my weeks.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That helps a lot actually. Thank you. Naturally, I’m looking for the best deal with lowest annual fee. It’s either an MVC or switch gears and go HGVC. Although I’d prefer the locations available through MVC.
Or do what I did and own both HGVC and MVC weeks. They complement each other very well. Between the two systems there are quiet a few resorts in the major cities and tourist destinations.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Picking up on some earlier posts, in Asia it makes no difference whether you are on site or not, MVC have not sold weeks for many years and you cannot buy a resale week even as part of a hybrid package.
Currently they only sell Asia Pacific (AP) points, although there is a a suggestion that they may be able to sell Destination Club (DC) points in future.
It is a little more complicated than this as for Indonesia and Australia they have separate points entities, but these are just variants of AP.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Grand residence about 62k points on the low end plus about 5500 points for 2 enrolled weeks and another 3600 for the eligible Willowridge units equals about 71k electable points and the 5k trust points makes it around 76k DC points.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
That’s a ton!! Good for you

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Or do what I did and own both HGVC and MVC weeks. They complement each other very well. Between the two systems there are quiet a few resorts in the major cities and tourist destinations.

I already own VSE. I’d think it would be the natural progression to own MVC just because of the parent company ownership. HGVC resorts look top notch but I’d think MVC wins out on more destinations

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi there everyone. Just returned from our summer vacation trip. I was lucky to get an exchange for the new Marriott Pulse in San Fran this past week. On side note, sorry to not responding to the others that wanted the extra nights I did not need. It was taken within minutes of me posting the free nights. I was on vacation and not really bothering with internet.

Got a call to do a 90min presentation for $150 Amex gift card while at the Pulse. Asked wife and she agreed which surprised me. Called the body snatcher back and set up a 930 appointment for Wed July 30. Figure would be like the last presentation 4 years ago and they would let us go after seeing our resale portfolio of non eligble weels.

Went down and was asked to fill out the standard questionnaire to I figure give the salesperson something to sell us. Saleswoman introduced herself 5 min later and said that she would be doing our presentation. Went to her office and she looked over our questionnaire and said how we could do many things with the new DC points system. She told some half truths and out right lies and I had to bite my tongue to not correct her as this would only make the presentation longer. What was funny was she did not have paperwork on what we owned with marriott. She finally asked what we would like to purchase at the cheap price of $14.36 per point (or there abouts). Told her we had no use for points as we owned 42 weeks with marriott. She was shocked and excused herself from the room.

5 minutes later a gentleman came in with a printout that listed all our MVC weeks. He also brought a paper saying that if we bought 5500 DC points he would let us enroll 7 weeks into the points program. I said not interested as I am happy with our weeks ownership and 97% trading via II. He then asked what would get to buy DC points. I replied that I would buy 5000 points if they would enroll my 38 non eligible weeks into the points program. He said he would ask but he didnt think it was possible. Came back 10 minutes later and asked if I bought the Grand Residence units from thier authorized resalers. I said yes and he told me that I could buy 5000 points and pay $5k to enroll one quartershare (13 weeks). The offer he presented is the standard enrollment for grand residence quarter share owners that bought after the cutoff. I said no thanks and thought I would be on my way. I countered that I would do it if he would enroll both quartershares (26 weeks) and 7 of my non eligible weeks. To make a long story short, I was able to enroll two quartershares at grand residence (26 weeks) and two units into the dc points program for a purchase of 5000 dc points. There is no language saying that if I sold the dc points the weeks would be unenrolled in the program. Now I can also enroll my 2 eligible weeks also into the program. This would save me about $6k a year in exchange and lock off fees. I figure it would take 14 years in exchange and lock off fee savings to recoup the $58k purchase if I keep the 5000 dc points. In my calculations, I took into account the 3% interest I would get if I kept the $58k in savings.

Now I ask the knowledgeable tug community for your opinions on this. I am still within my rescission period so would like to know your thoughts. I have only bought resale for our MVC and HGVC units (thanks to finding TUG over a decade ago before buying our first timeshare). Have only bought direct from DVC and am happy with that purchase. The purchase is not a hardship on our finances. Also have been staying at MKO 38+ weeks a year for the past 4/5 years and will continue to do so hopefully. So those exchange fees are a real expense for us.

Personally I'd probably do it as you'll likely use points more than you think you would getting more guaranteed reservations. Even better would be a purchase of a good Aruba, St.Kitt's or Spain week instead of the 5000 pts but I think only those locations and the central sales office can do it that way.

Ann in CA

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Mountainside, Marriott's Waiohai, Marriott's Canyon Villas, Marriott's Marbella, Shell Vacation Club
The sales rep said only Aruba (I figured since I led with I want Aruba) lol. He said Thailand you cannot buy resale you have to buy there and the way Spain is set up it does not come enrolled when buying through them. Luckily I recorded the conversation over the phone.
Our Marbella came enrolled when we bought a hybrid package a couple of years ago.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
I already own VSE. I’d think it would be the natural progression to own MVC just because of the parent company ownership. HGVC resorts look top notch but I’d think MVC wins out on more destinations

I’m not sure about the quality between HGVC and MVC. I stayed at Elara and Carlsbad Palisades before, I like both a lot. Hope someone has more details between HGVC vs Marriott.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure about the quality between HGVC and MVC. I stayed at Elara and Carlsbad Palisades before, I like both a lot. Hope someone has more details between HGVC vs Marriott.

Start a thread? Such questions are typically very subjective.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Based on the few that we've stayed at from both systems, at the aggregate, I would say they are comparable. As in anything, there are some design/styling differences from property-to-property, but overall, I would consider HGVC and MVC to be roughly comparable.

Our experience is based on:

MVC
Barony Beach Club, Hilton Head
Grande Ocean, Hilton Head
Maui Ocean Club, Hawaii
Waiohai Beach Club, Kauai, Hawaii
Grand Chateau, Las Vegas
Desert Springs Villas, Palm Desert

HGVC
Kohala Suites, Big Island, Hawaii
Lagoon Tower, Oahu, Hawaii
Elara, Las Vegas
Ocean Oak, Hilton Head
Sea World, Orlando
Tuscany Suites, Orlando

Last edited:

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score

Don’t you wish you knew the conversation between the sales staff after you left? They must love seeing 30-40 y/o’s in a high income bracket walk into the room. You, GregT’s friend (another thread), GoldenVike. Seems to be a pattern forming here.......

This is a lot of number crunching and I got hooked. There’s still too much unknown for any of us to understand the full picture. Obviously you already have a major investment and a hunk of m/f’s.

What you seem to be asking is ... is a $58k purchase, that you hope to recoup in 14 years because you assume you’ll be spending that much or more in fees, worth the gamble? It is a gamble because you may change your travel habits. This is a purchase, not for the use/value of the points, but to save potential fees.

Wouldn’t it be better to look at all you will have invested, along with the annual m/f’s, and ask yourself if it’s worth what you’re doing with it? Then ask yourself if life had some major changes would you still be able to salvage what you’ve put in?

Even though you’ll have the possibility for lots of DC points it doesn’t sound like you want to use the purchase for the use of exchanging your weeks to points. Seems you’d lose value as, in many instances, points reservations are the most premium way to book a room.

When you made your calculations for the 14 years did you take into account the m/f’s you’ll be paying on the 5000 points? You’ll be saving $6K in fees but spending nearly $3K in new m/f’s plus the annual DC fee.

If you’re spending $58K to save $6K annually for 14 years, couldn’t you just rent some of your portfolio annually to cover the $6k?

I’ve got to ask about the 38 weeks at MKO. How many weeks at a stretch? Do you have to change rooms while you’re there?

ilene13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Frank if you are in your 40’s with a 13 year old son what do you do with all of you weeks? You can’t be constantly traveling. Does your son go to school? Or are you using all of these weeks as a business and renting them out?