• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dual Voltage Hair Appliances - Help from the ladies needed

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
My 16 yo daughter is leaving in 10 days for a year abroad in Switzerland.

Hair dryer and flat iron are important to her.

My original plan was to have her buy those after she arrives there. But I'm considering purchasing dual voltage ones here before she leaves. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I am NOT interested in purchasing converters for her, so no suggestions on that please.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes - I get that, but can't I just purchase the plug adapter in addition to the dual voltage appliance?
Dual voltage should be fine with the plug adapter. FOr hairdryers, I have noticed that they have a small dial that you turn with a coin or something to change the voltage. We used a small travel one in Europe and it worked well. Just don't try to run it set at 110 on a 220 plug as it will probably blow out the hair dryer and it won't work anymore.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dual voltage should be fine with the plug adapter. FOr hairdryers, I have noticed that they have a small dial that you turn with a coin or something to change the voltage. We used a small travel one in Europe and it worked well. Just don't try to run it set at 110 on a 220 plug as it will probably blow out the hair dryer and it won't work anymore.
Thank you -- A lot of the reviews for the dual voltage appliances aren't so great. That's why I'm thinking she should perhaps buy these things once she's there.

Lots of last minute details were are taking care of right now.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Both DD & I have dual voltage hair dryers & DD has a dual voltage travel straightener. My dryer is a Conair and it has a folding handle, I cant remember what make DD's is but it is a brand name. The instructions for mine say when using it on 220 is only use it on low power which feels/sounds like high power at home. DD's (newer model) has a separate dial switch for 110 or 220 use. Her straightener also has a little switch for use on 220 and it came with an insulated pouch/case so it can be put away while still hot. She has used it a lot in Europe and a few spots in the Caribbean. We both have the plug end converter so they fit in their outlets.

As for buying one over in Europe, your DD may find them expensive. When DH's cousin was visiting us in Florida she purchased 2 dual voltage hairdryers to take home to England. She said they were about 1/3 of the cost that they were at home. But maybe prices are different in Switzerland.

~Diane

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think she should buy one after she gets to Europe. If only because it has the correct plug-in without an adapter (you don't want to be messing with 220v) and it's built for the European power. Cost won't be significantly different.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you will need an adapter and dual voltage saves the need for a converter, plus then she can use it when she comes back home. I just purchased a Conair curling brush/iron that also blows hot air from Amazon (fine for drying short hair that has air dried for a while) for a trip to Ireland. Amazon has a large selection of dual voltage hair appliances. My recommendation is to STAY AWAY from Phobe (looong story there from my first purchase - returned), they look too good to be true and that's exactly what they are. I would stick with Conair. BTW, my dual voltage unit from Amazon cost much less than buying the same appliance over the counter in Canada.

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
For a year-long trip, buy it there. If you buy one with a US plug, the adapter will always be wiggling loose and may get hot due to poor contact.

If she were coming to the US from Switzerland, my advice would be "you can get one for $12 in Walmart or find one for $5 at a yard sale or in Salvation Army." Going the other way, I suppose it'll be 30CHF.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a 30-yr old Philips dual voltage travel hairdryer that still works as well as when I first bought it. I do bring different adapters for travel overseas.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
For a year-long trip, buy it there. If you buy one with a US plug, the adapter will always be wiggling loose and may get hot due to poor contact.

If she were coming to the US from Switzerland, my advice would be "you can get one for $12 in Walmart or find one for $5 at a yard sale or in Salvation Army." Going the other way, I suppose it'll be 30CHF.
Thank you everyone for your thoughts, suggestions. I think I'm going to have her buy this stuff there given the duration of how long she will be there. I will ask her host family to take her to do some shopping upon arrival. She leaves next week!