• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGV 2Q Earnings Call/New Locations & Possible Trust Product

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Hilton Grand Vacations (HGV) had their 2Q 2019 earnings call with stock analysts this morning. It was very interesting. They failed to meet earnings/revenue forecasts and lowered their guidance for the rest of the year. The stock dropped 14% today. They now expect full year 2019 Contract Sales to be anywhere from flat to down 3% from 2018. They attributed the weakness in sales to two main factors:

1. A reduction in the average transaction price
2. Additional pressure due to a decline in closure rate

They further said both factors were driven by limited available sales inventory in key locations, and they expect those headwinds to continue for the rest of 2019 until more inventory becomes available in 2020 and beyond.

Here are some details on that:
  • Their Hawaii sales offices are suffering due to lower average transaction prices since they currently lack the "optimal mix of new and upgradeable inventory." They only sold $9 million of Ocean Tower inventory in 2Q 2019 compared to $57 million in 2Q 2018, due to the essential sell-out of Phase I of that project.
  • The lack of proper Hawaii inventory particularly hurt their sales in the Japan sales centers. Even though the Hawaii inventory they did have was the wrong mix, they thought they could steer prospects into the Hawaii inventory they did have, but the prospects wound up buying into the Las Vegas product instead. That significantly reduced the average selling price for these transactions.
  • They experienced lower close rates in their Las Vegas and Orlando sales centers due to a lack of desirable upgrade inventory.
  • They also saw a reduced closing percentage in the US mainland. They saw a younger demographic prospect coming in as Hilton widens the customer mix in their HHonors program and in their hotel target marketing. This resulted in a higher ratio of prospects with under $100K family income versus over $100K, and historically for that younger under $100K customer segment, they close a lower percentage and have lower transaction prices.
  • A significant level of new inventory will be coming online in 2020 and 2021 which should allow growth to return in 2020. In 2020, they expect to add sales of 1) Phase II of Ocean Tower, 2) Maui, 3) Waikiki Sequel, 4) Los Cabos. In 2021 they expect to add Okinawa.
  • This new sales inventory will give them more entry level and upgrade inventory versus their current inventory mix, which is skewed towards "mid-tier inventory." They think this will help them match inventory to their prospects better.
  • Los Cabos renovation/conversion has just started. Plan to have that finished later this year and sales in first half of 2020.
  • They announced a new fee-for-service HGV project in the Smoky Mountains of Tennessee. They did not name an exact location, but I'm assuming it might be in the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area.
  • In locations with new available inventory, sales were up - South Carolina was up 8% and sales of The Central in NYC have been strong, up 30%.
  • The Chicago and Charleston locations are new and small, so won't have a material impact on sales growth in 2019. Chicago is currently only 16 units and they just started selling Charleston inventory out of the Washington, DC sales center.
  • In 2018 they committed a large investment to inventory spend and they said they have a lot of inventory coming on line. As a result, they have no inclination to purchase any inventory in 2019, 2020, and 2021 beyond what they have already committed to. If any comes in 2021, it will be in the back half of that year.
New Products Possible; Maybe a Trust Product

One of the analysts asked if, given the difficulty they are having with sales volatility from quarter-to-quarter (because of them being limited to selling deeded weeks at specific resorts), would they consider shifting to a pure points-based business model like Marriott went to. Here was CEO Mark Wang's response:

"We do realize the benefits of a trust product. It does have benefits on reducing some of the variability, and so we're exploring it. Not only a trust product - for certain markets - but also other prepaid vacation forms. We want to figure out how to capture even more buyers to bring into our system.

I would say though, even if we do introduce an additional product form, there's no current plans for a full discontinuation of what we're currently doing. We don't think a trust product would serve us well in markets like Hawaii and New York with their premium prices; and especially with the Japanese, because they want the certainty that a lot of times you don't get out of a trust product - meaning you don't have a home resort window for reservations.

But, we're looking at it. We think it could be done on a regional basis and could reduce some of the variability in the business. But we also have to be cognizant that we have a robust fee-for-service business, and its really difficult to have a trust product with multiple fee-for-service partners like we have now. We have a half dozen fee-for-service partners, and I just don't know how you negotiate whose product goes into the trust first, whereas now we can sell multiple fee-for-service projects simultaneously."

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
  • They experienced lower close rates in their Las Vegas and Orlando sales centers due to a lack of desirable upgrade inventory.
  • They also saw a reduced closing percentage in the US mainland. They saw a younger demographic prospect coming in as Hilton widens the customer mix in their HHonors program and in their hotel target marketing. This resulted in a higher ratio of prospects with under $100K family income versus over $100K, and historically for that younger under $100K customer segment, they close a lower percentage and have lower transaction prices. already committed to. If any comes in 2021, it will be in the back half of that year.

I'd like to think that they saw reduced closure rates due to better-educated consumers...but I doubt that's the case...

Cheers.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Smoky Mountains location would be a great addition!

Kurt

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Smoky Mountains location would be a great addition!

Kurt
Any additional locations! From a consumer perspective, Marriott is eating their lunch.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
What do you all make of the trust point discussion? How would that work with the current system?

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
What do you all make of the trust point discussion? How would that work with the current system?

I think it would be pretty easy for HGVC to sell a trust system if they wanted to. Put a bunch of deeds and new resorts in a trust. Sell points packages from the trust. Trust point buyers can book anything in the trust during the home resort period, and anything in HGVC during the club period.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Interesting information. Any discussion about The Crane in Barbados or any other expansion into the Caribbean? Things seem to be on a back-burner there.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Very interesting with the conclusions of why sales are down. That would indicate that HGV would need to continue to be very aggressive in new projects. Well, good for us because new locations are great but I expect that they will be of the higher point requirements too. I also would like HGV to add the Smoky Mountains to the mix. I would be able to use OS there if the price was reasonable. At least I could utilize it for a short getaway.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I think it would be pretty easy for HGVC to sell a trust system if they wanted to. Put a bunch of deeds and new resorts in a trust. Sell points packages from the trust. Trust point buyers can book anything in the trust during the home resort period, and anything in HGVC during the club period.

Wouldn’t be able to mix deeded inventory with trust inventory, so they would not be able to book in the deeded pool.

They could move all unsold deeds into a trust and sell pure points, then churn the deeded owners to convince them to turn in deeds for trust points. Buy up resales through rofr and a deedback program and move into the trust.

I think the sticky issue was affiliates where HGV is just a service provider.

The point system we already have works like a trust point system so I don’t see a need to fix it, but I can understand how investors see trust points as a way to improve profit by reselling what we already have at virtually no cost to HGV.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
The point system we already have works like a trust point system so I don’t see a need to fix it, but I can understand how investors see trust points as a way to improve profit by reselling what we already have at virtually no cost to HGV.

I agree. I don't see any advantage to the current owners. I would only see it as a way for HGV to generate more profits.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wouldn’t be able to mix deeded inventory with trust inventory, so they would not be able to book in the deeded pool.

They could move all unsold deeds into a trust and sell pure points, then churn the deeded owners to convince them to turn in deeds for trust points. Buy up resales through rofr and a deedback program and move into the trust.

I think the sticky issue was affiliates where HGV is just a service provider.

Why couldn't they mix it? It seems to me a trust could own HGVC deeds (I suspect some tuggers own their hgvc in a trust).

If that trust owned hgvc deeds it could make home week reservations and let it's members use them during that period.

And it could make club reservations and let it's members use them during that period.

Obviously the trust would need inventory, but hgvc has been building lots and could put some in.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
I agree. I don't see any advantage to the current owners. I would only see it as a way for HGV to generate more profits.

The reason they would do it would not be to benefit owners, but would be a way to smooth out the bumps and dips in sales they get when new resorts come online. The Hawaii example from this quarter is an extreme example, but they didn’t have attractive inventory to sell there, so sales suffered. With a trust, a point is a point, so it doesn’t matter whether it is in Hawaii or Florida. It’s all one pool, with no home resort, so you always have points to sell.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@JIMinNC Thank you for summarizing the calls for both HGVC and MVC (on the MVC forum). Since the CEO must be truthful and could go to jail if he lies per SEC, this is the most accurate representation of where the programs are heading.

I found this information on HGVC being inventory limited as eye-opening. What we love as consumers vs. business realities.

I can see how the smoke and mirrors of a trust points program would mitigate this sales wise. Take all the crappy inventory no one wants to buy. Throw it into a trust. Add a few desireable properties to lure in the buyer (but with extremely limited availability or off season) and voila, you have a trust points program!

Lipstick on a pig.

I sincerely hope HGVC doesn't go there. MVC didn't have a points program and is trying to play catch-up with their weeks system. Hyatt tried this and it has been a failure. Vistana Flex has not been very successful either. HGVC has a well designed points program. Adding complexity adds hidden costs to the system which we will all pay for.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
FYI...on the MVC forum @JIMinNC has done a terrific job summarizing the August 1 investor call for Marriott Vacation Club. It's interesting to compare the differing business challenges each company faces and the industry outlook. Both companies were down in the stock market yesterday after the calls.

What I find most interesting is that MVC only closed 1/3 new buyers vs. 2/3 existing owners this year. Average age of a new buyer is 52 vs. 59 for existing owner. I would be curious to compare to HGVC stats if anyone has those figures.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-call-integration-update.293553/#post-2317120

Also FYI...there has been a discussion of how owning HGVC + Vistana mandatory combo or HGVC + MVC combo looks from portfolio perspective (pros/cons):

Marriott Vacations Worldwide 2Q 2019 Earnings Conference Call & Integration Update

I won't repeat here, but head on over to the links above on the MVC forum if you are interested.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The reason they would do it would not be to benefit owners, but would be a way to smooth out the bumps and dips in sales they get when new resorts come online. The Hawaii example from this quarter is an extreme example, but they didn’t have attractive inventory to sell there, so sales suffered. With a trust, a point is a point, so it doesn’t matter whether it is in Hawaii or Florida. It’s all one pool, with no home resort, so you always have points to sell.

They had trouble selling the high cost/ high point contracts in Hawaii because of the buyer pool, too many with lower incomes that wanted a cheaper Vegas contract. Selling them trust points will not get them enough to use for a full week in Hawaii, so it would matter when it came time to use points. Not HGV’s problem after the sale.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Why couldn't they mix it? It seems to me a trust could own HGVC deeds (I suspect some tuggers own their hgvc in a trust).

If that trust owned hgvc deeds it could make home week reservations and let it's members use them during that period.

And it could make club reservations and let it's members use them during that period.

Obviously the trust would need inventory, but hgvc has been building lots and could put some in.

I understand what you are saying, during home season only book what is deeded in the trust but then open it up to all inventory at 9 months the way points work now. I’m just not sure it is legal to do that, mix trust with deeded inventory. In the other systems I don’t think its allowed.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I understand what you are saying, during home season only book what is deeded in the trust but then open it up to all inventory at 9 months the way points work now. I’m just not sure it is legal to do that, mix trust with deeded inventory. In the other systems I don’t think its allowed.

Correct. In the other systems the inventory is separate. There prob is a legal reason preventing this. However MVC offers enrollment into the trust (for $) for weeks owners where you deposit your week into an exchange for booking points in the trust.

For HGVC it seems like it would be a scheme to re-sell club point properties which we've already had access back to us which may have legal ramifications.

Last edited:

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct. In the other systems the inventory is separate. There prob is a legal reason preventing this. However MVC offers enrollment into the trust (for $) for weeks owners where you deposit your week into an exchange for booking points in the trust.

For HGVC it seems like it would be a scheme to re-sell club point properties which we've already had access back to us which may have legal ramifications.

They would probably be legally separate but from a practical point of view I don't think it would matter.

The Marriott destination points trust owns a bunch of weeks, and books those weeks on demand for trust point owners.

I'm pretty confident HGVC could do the same thing.

Maybe a better analogy would be sheraton/westin flex. Those owners can book the inventory owned in their trusts during the home resort period. During the club period they can book any SVN resort, and SVN members can book their inventory.

HGVC could easily do the same. I don't think they would replace week sales entirely because of the 3rd party factor. But it would allow them to effectively sell "fractions" of weeks. Ie. Sell an entry level buyer 3500 points annually (1/2 a 2 bedroom play) or sell an upgrade buyer a 10k contract that is actually backed by 1.5 units in the trust or whatever.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
They had trouble selling the high cost/ high point contracts in Hawaii because of the buyer pool, too many with lower incomes that wanted a cheaper Vegas contract. Selling them trust points will not get them enough to use for a full week in Hawaii, so it would matter when it came time to use points. Not HGV’s problem after the sale.

That's not what they actually said on the call. They said the younger/lower income tour prospects issue primarily impacted their mainland US close percentage and transaction size. They specifically said the Hawaii issue was directly related to the sell out of Phase I of Ocean Tower and the impact that had on their inventory mix they had available to sell. When the prospects were presented with the Hawaii inventory they did have (and many of those prospects were from Japan) they opted to just buy in Vegas instead. They were confident that when the new inventory came on line in 2020, sales would recover.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Smoky Mountains is a wash for me. With Wyndham already having 2+ resorts there, the Margaritaville only has 6 rooms allocated to Wyndham so you can't count on that. HICV has 1, but it is very booked up. Since I have points in both of those system HGVC setting up shop there does nothing for me.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
Maybe the push into higher cost bHGV product is hurting their sales. They got greedy thinking they can keep pushing people into higher cost inventory, and what are the Japanese doing? the same as us, sourcing lower cost product in Vegas. Hopefully they have a really hard time selling the bHGV concept and are forced to bring it into the HGVC fold. The other thing is the market has almost for sure embarked on a significant correction right now, and this could easily be followed up by a recession in the not too distant future, so their more-expensive product could be a very ill timed wrong-way bet. They have created such a confusing array of product and affiliates and point structures that they really do deserve to get kicked around a bit.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Maybe the push into higher cost bHGV product is hurting their sales. They got greedy thinking they can keep pushing people into higher cost inventory, and what are the Japanese doing? the same as us, sourcing lower cost product in Vegas. Hopefully they have a really hard time selling the bHGV concept and are forced to bring it into the HGVC fold. The other thing is the market has almost for sure embarked on a significant correction right now, and this could easily be followed up by a recession in the not too distant future, so their more-expensive product could be a very ill timed wrong-way bet. They have created such a confusing array of product and affiliates and point structures that they really do deserve to get kicked around a bit.

Remember, they said the problem was not unsold inventory, but lack of the proper, higher-priced inventory. If too much higher cost inventory was the problem, sales at The Central in NYC would not be up 30% and they would not have sold out of inventory tory at Ocean Tower in Waikoloa. The problem they noted with the Japanese buyers was they didn't have the higher value inventory to sell them. In 2Q 2018 they sold $57 million at Ocean Tower; this year only $9 million because there was nothing left. They won't have the inventory until Phase II comes online in 2020.

On the market, we are only about 3% off the all time high in the S&P 500, which was reached only about a week ago. The market had a bad reaction on Wednesday to some comments that Fed Chairman Powell made in his press conference, but it had fully recovered virtually all of those losses on Thursday, but then tanked when the new China tariffs were announced. Today, it continued to sell off until about 11am, but by the close had recovered almost half of the day's losses. We could certainly see more downward pressure depending on how the trade issues develop, maybe as much as 10%, but markets do tend to look for a reason to sell off after reaching new highs because the traders want to take some profits. The basic fundamentals of the US economy seem strong, even though there is some global weakness. With the Fed backing off on their rate hikes, that should serve to provide some support to markets. Very few economists see a recession in the immediate future. It will happen eventually, but the fundamentals are still intact.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
"As a result, they have no inclination to purchase any inventory in 2019, 2020, and 2021 beyond what they have already committed to. If any comes in 2021, it will be in the back half of that year."

Hmmm...does this mean that they will have limited ROFR budget?

Did they mention anything about The Quin or Crane Barbados inventory coming online?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
I appreciated being able to read that. It’s the upside to me of it being a public company. I was hoping it would include an update on what is happening with inventory in Barbados. Perhaps next time.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
"As a result, they have no inclination to purchase any inventory in 2019, 2020, and 2021 beyond what they have already committed to. If any comes in 2021, it will be in the back half of that year."

Hmmm...does this mean that they will have limited ROFR budget?

Did they mention anything about The Quin or Crane Barbados inventory coming online?

The same thing occurred to me about ROFR, although I interpreted that statement as being more about new out of the ground type development. I think they tend to use ROFR to fuel sales at places where there is no/less new inventory.

No mention of Barbados. I think there was some mention of the Quin as it related to rental revenue, but it wasn't something that struck me as particularly relevant. Once they put the transcript online, it will be easier to comb back through it. Now it means listening to the 45 minute call again. There was a LOT of stuff I didn't include. Just tried to hit the most relevant things that I thought would be meaningful to this audience.