• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Sargassum at Lagunamar?

r1lee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SVV
Is anyone at lagunamar? Can you update us about the sagassum there or anywhere you have been? Just curious, will be there next month.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
We were there the week of July 5. Early in the week they were able to effectively remove it and swi.ming was ok. By the end of the week no one was going in and they couldnt stay ahead of it. Not sure what the situation is now. Enjoy your week!

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
now it seems ok, you can see many people in the water.

upload_2019-7-28_18-23-58.png

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, it seems that some investors thought of making money off this problem (good for them!) , they build a Sargaboat. Vidanta signed an agreement to buy a boat. I hope Westin Lagunamar and Westin Cancun will follow, they can share the cost.

"A first contract was signed with the Vidanta hotel group, which has a dozen establishments in Mexico, both on the east coast and on the west coast. Several beaches of its hotels were free of seaweed for the first time in three years at this time of the year thanks to Sargaboat. Vidanta even plans to take advantage of seaweed, recycling cargoes recovered at sea in fertilizer and biogas. Several other hoteliers in the Riviera Maya have shown interest in the technology now that they have seen it in action, says Cyril Paciullo"

The source is in French but you can use google translate

http://outremers360.com/planete/des...GENAY_cvrA5tHd8Xspk_kYSinLWFTIFxzBmA36Z30BVZo

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I doubt you would see the Westins in Cancun buy one. Perhaps more likely to be that the city or state would invest in several.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
By the way, it seems that some investors thought of making money off this problem (good for them!) , they build a Sargaboat. Vidanta signed an agreement to buy a boat. I hope Westin Lagunamar and Westin Cancun will follow, they can share the cost.

"A first contract was signed with the Vidanta hotel group, which has a dozen establishments in Mexico, both on the east coast and on the west coast. Several beaches of its hotels were free of seaweed for the first time in three years at this time of the year thanks to Sargaboat. Vidanta even plans to take advantage of seaweed, recycling cargoes recovered at sea in fertilizer and biogas. Several other hoteliers in the Riviera Maya have shown interest in the technology now that they have seen it in action, says Cyril Paciullo"

The source is in French but you can use google translate

http://outremers360.com/planete/des...GENAY_cvrA5tHd8Xspk_kYSinLWFTIFxzBmA36Z30BVZo

In the hotel zone, most of the year the seaweeds are not an issue like in PDC so the use would be limited. I agree with you that it seems an overkill for just 2 resorts. Maybe a company would buy it and offer the service to a number of resorts in the same area. The city seems indeed the most logical potential buyer. But If I were working for a resort I would not want to rely on the local government and I would try to make sure to have access to this service when I need it.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
@r1lee somebody just posted this on FB

upload_2019-8-2_10-26-10.png

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I was just in Ft Lauderdale visiting a friend. The seaweed problem is really bad and people are swimming in it!

The seaweed is thick in the ocean where you enter the water. It makes the shoreline look black. It ruins an otherwise beautiful ocean. I wonder what Florida will do to solve this problem. I would not go in the ocean knowing how toxic the seaweed could be.

It is very sad how the oceans have changed in the past 20 years. This was unheard of when I was growing up. We’d occasionally get a little seaweed on the shore and it would be gone. Now hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of pounds of seaweed are lying in the ocean at the shoreline. The shocker to me is people swimming in it.

This is a comment on Florida. I do not know how severe the problem is in Mexico. I saw seaweed in the ocean in St Vincent and the Grenadines too but it was not a lot like in Ft Lauderdale. This seems to be a region wide problem in Florida and the Caribbean. I was in St Thomas and the BVIs this summer and I do not recall seeing a seaweed there. It would be interesting to start a seaweed thread and track where the problems are.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
this
I was just in Ft Lauderdale visiting a friend. The seaweed problem is really bad and people are swimming in it!

The seaweed is thick in the ocean where you enter the water. It makes the shoreline look black. It ruins an otherwise beautiful ocean. I wonder what Florida will do to solve this problem. I would not go in the ocean knowing how toxic the seaweed could be.

It is very sad how the oceans have changed in the past 20 years. This was unheard of when I was growing up. We’d occasionally get a little seaweed on the shore and it would be gone. Now hundreds of thousands (possibly millions) of pounds of seaweed are lying in the ocean at the shoreline. The shocker to me is people swimming in it.

This is a comment on Florida. I do not know how severe the problem is in Mexico. I saw seaweed in the ocean in St Vincent and the Grenadines too but it was not a lot like in Ft Lauderdale. This seems to be a region wide problem in Florida and the Caribbean. I was in St Thomas and the BVIs this summer and I do not recall seeing a seaweed there. It would be interesting to start a seaweed thread and track where the problems are.

this is the webcam now at the Hard Rock Cancun, not far from Lagunamar. Luckily the Hotel zone in Cancun is usually seaweed free and even when there is some seaweed (mostly in the summer) it is much better than in other places.

upload_2019-8-2_12-7-2.png

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

The Sargassum problem in Florida may help Orlando. People go to the beach for the ocean and they pay significantly more for that. Some may opt instead for Orlando where they do not have that problem and it is cheaper.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
The Sargassum problem in Florida may help Orlando. People go to the beach for the ocean and they pay significantly more for that. Some may opt instead for Orlando where they do not have that problem and it is cheaper.

The seaweed problem in Ft Lauderdale is right in front of the beach where the new Four Seasons is being built. We had dinner at the W. All the fancy hotels are located right in front of a seaweed infested beach. My friends were swimming in the seaweed and did not question or comment on it. I asked why it was so black and they said seaweed but offered no other comments. It is like the elephant in the room.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The seaweed problem in Ft Lauderdale is right in front of the beach where the new Four Seasons is being built. We had dinner at the W. All the fancy hotels are located right in front of a seaweed infested beach. My friends were swimming in the seaweed and did not question or comment on it. I asked why it was so black and they said seaweed but offered no other comments. It is like the elephant in the room.
I know that it can be yucky to some but it does not gross me out actually if it is not too much. Do I like it? NO. But I think it is the Nature's way to clean the pollutants that we have dumped in the ocean. Maybe be the nature is still trying to clean the BP oil spill from 2010.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I know that it can be yucky to some but it does not gross me out actually if it is not too much. Do I like it? NO. But I think it is the Nature's way to clean the pollutants that we have dumped in the ocean. Maybe be the nature is still trying to clean the BP oil spill from 2010.

Yes that is true. In the Grenadines there was just a little seaweed and we still swam in the ocean. But there it seemed like a normal amount. We just swam around it. When seaweed settles on the shoreline out of the water, it does not bother me either. It probably bothers me more now since it has been in the news. That good ole fake news! LOL o_O

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

News
Sargassum-free beaches in six weeks; more than 57,000 tonnes removed
Joint effort by the navy and the public involved more than 10,000 people, the navy secretary reported
The sargassum problem will be resolved in six weeks, Navy Secretary José Rafael Ojeda declared yesterday.

Speaking at the presidential press conference, Ojeda said that the joint efforts of the navy – which in early May was given responsibility for combatting the seaweed’s arrival – and the public would ensure that beaches are sargassum-free in a month and a half.

The coastline of the northern municipalities of Isla Mujeres, Benito Juárez (Cancún), Puerto Morelos and Solidaridad (Playa del Carmen) are already free of the seaweed, he said.

Today’s report from the Cancún sargassum monitoring network shows that no beaches between Tulum and the north of Quintana Roo are affected by excessive amounts of seaweed compared to 33 at the start of last week.

The network said conditions at beaches in Cancún and the Riviera Maya are “improving considerably” every day thanks to ocean currents and a radical change in the direction of prevailing winds.

sargassum.jpg

The red zones have disappeared from the sargassum map published Friday morning.
Ojeda said that 57,603 tonnes of sargassum were collected from beaches between May and July and 287 tonnes were removed from the sea. A total of 10,701 people contributed to the clean-up efforts, he added.

Ojeda said the navy is in the process of purchasing three tractors, four sweepers and containment barriers with a combined length of 4,000 meters to assist with the anti-sargassum efforts. The navy is also building four sargassum-gathering vessels.

The navy secretary said that the first vessel will be ready in October and the other three will be completed soon after.

Although at least one scientist has warned that decomposing sargassum is a serious environmental problem, Ojeda discounted the warning, saying that a study has shown it has had no negative effect on the beaches of Quintana Roo.

President López Obrador, who in June said that sargassum wasn’t a very serious problem, told reporters yesterday that his government was always confident that there was a solution to the seasonal arrival of the smelly and unsightly seaweed.

“. . . What we did is establish order. Politics was invented to establish order,” he said.

However, the head of the Cancún sargassum monitoring network said last week that the navy’s strategy is not effective in preventing the arrival of seaweed on Quintana Roo beaches.

“The navy’s efforts are almost being exceeded. I believe that the navy has [just] one [sargassum-gathering] vessel and obviously for 700 kilometers of coast in Quintana Roo, it’s not enough . . .” Esteban Amaro said.

“. . . Most of the sargassum is being collected from the beaches and only a minimal amount is being contained at sea.”