• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oregon Coast advice needed

JerseyJim434

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oyster Pointe 11weeks
Thinking of heading out there from New England in late October/early November . Would love to drive the coast from a central location or 2. I Welcome all suggestions and insights as to resorts worth trading into and the best location(s) to base camp.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Might consider a bit earlier in season. I recall that N California and above gets rainy by then.
Not in the coast, but we love whispering woods in welches near Mt Hood as a timeshare base to explore Columbia river area.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are just not many resorts on the Oregon coast. A couple in Newport, Lincoln City. The closest to a 'brand name' you are likely to find is Worldmark. We have had more success with VRBO's

Jim

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Thinking of heading out there from New England in late October/early November . Would love to drive the coast from a central location or 2. I Welcome all suggestions and insights as to resorts worth trading into and the best location(s) to base camp.

That should be no problem in late October or November. There are four Worldmark resorts in the norther half of the Oregon Coast. There is Otter Rock. There is Rockaway Beach Resort. The Embarcdero in Newport.

I like Depoe Bay in the fall so the Worldmark Depoe Bay is my first pick. No beach in front of this resort but the views are fantastic.

Bill

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And the other thing is the Oregon Coast can be driven in a day (two at the most) with a lot of stopping to see things. So if you stayed at a timeshare, you'd have to loop back to it, unless you were staying there for only one or two nights. So in that case, Jim's suggestion would be good. Renting something along the route would be better.

If you mean to use the timeshare as a base camp, then Newport is probably the most centrally-located. You might benefit from reviewing the timeshare map here on Tug. https://tug2.com/tsmaps/TimeshareMaps.html

If you started at San Francisco, heading north along the closest roads to the Coast, after Point Arena, the next timeshare isn't till you get to Newport Oregon. (Not sure about Gold Beach - I don't think I've ever seen it on an Exchange list.) From Newport, heading north, there are a number of locations, but they aren't that far apart. Seaside, Oregon, is about the furthest north in Oregon. Crossing into Washington, there are a few around Long Beach, Washington, and a couple in the Ocean Shores area. But then you're kind of done. There isn't much north of Ocean Shores

By the numbers, from Newport, Oregon to Long Beach, Washington, is only about 150 miles. From Newport to Crescent City, California (just across the border) is only 230 miles.

If I was going to do it, I'd fly to Portland, Oregon, rent a car and head to Astoria, Oregon. Drive down the Coast, stopping at will, until you get to Eureka, California. Then you can head slightly in land, and end up in San Francisco. Lots to see that way, and easy driving, if you're not in a hurry. And there are many, many, MANY motels along the way.

If you're coming here in October or November, be ready for cooler, wet weather. Fall storms usually start in October, and it can be pretty grey along the coast. Things are often fogged in. You might want to wait six months, and come in May instead. Weather may still be rainy, but there is a better chance for sunshine, and the weather will be generally nicer than in the Fall.

Dave

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
We did this as DaveNW suggests, flying into PDX and doing a counterclockwise circle starting in Astoria and ending in Newport. I think it was only 3 or 4 days though, and didn't involve timeshares. Besides being chilly in November with chance of rain, it's quite windy. It's still quite beautiful.

DW loves glass beaches.

Read about the tsunami risk. Park your car facing uphill and out of town, and if there's an earthquake, get moving. The Cascadia fault is only about 40 miles offshore (at Newport), giving you something like 6 minutes before the wave arrives.