• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

DC points value for various locations

Rodenwjr

Reaction score
Hi

I have been trying to find a chart somewhere that lists the DC point conversions for weeks owners at various sites. For example...if you've owned a week at Newport Coast villas and enrolled them into the DC program, you would be allotted 3475 points if you decided to exchange it.

I went here as listed on one of the tug faq sites but the link didn't work. http://historical.vacationpointexchange.com

The reason I am interested in this is because I was pricing out a hybrid package and wanted to know what "low cost" point weeks would get me over the hump to a new tier. We own two legacy weeks (enrolled) at NCV.

I would need 1525 points from a legacy week + 1525 trust points to get over the 10k hump. I know there's people on this forum that will ask "why do you need to get to the next tier?" Let me answer that now by saying...its irrelevant to the thread and that it suits our travel style. I don't mean to be disrespectful but I don't want the thread to be hijacked with that controversy.

Does anyone know if the hybrid packages have a minimum trust point purchase in order to utilize the hybrid method? For example, do they require a purchase minimum of at least 2000 points combined with a week somewhere that equates to 2000 points or can I buy less than that if the weeks gets me what I need?

Thanks

Bill

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi

I have been trying to find a chart somewhere that lists the DC point conversions for weeks owners at various sites. For example...if you've owned a week at Newport Coast villas and enrolled them into the DC program, you would be allotted 3475 points if you decided to exchange it.

I went here as listed on one of the tug faq sites but the link didn't work. http://historical.vacationpointexchange.com

The reason I am interested in this is because I was pricing out a hybrid package and wanted to know what "low cost" point weeks would get me over the hump to a new tier. We own two legacy weeks (enrolled) at NCV.

I would need 1525 points from a legacy week + 1525 trust points to get over the 10k hump. I know there's people on this forum that will ask "why do you need to get to the next tier?" Let me answer that now by saying...its irrelevant to the thread and that it suits our travel style. I don't mean to be disrespectful but I don't want the thread to be hijacked with that controversy.

Does anyone know if the hybrid packages have a minimum trust point purchase in order to utilize the hybrid method? For example, do they require a purchase minimum of at least 2000 points combined with a week somewhere that equates to 2000 points or can I buy less than that if the weeks gets me what I need?

Thanks

Bill

That link works for me, perhaps try a different browser!
7F0F4B35-F2FD-4344-90F1-8C413DF8AA52.png

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Hi

Thanks

Bill

That link works fine for me.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Hi

Thanks

Bill

Let me comment and say I think it is great to get to higher tiers. I did what you are doing. I enjoy the perks of Presidential. I am looking forward to moving to CC level in 2020.

Rodenwjr

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh. I just copied and pasted from the tug faqs. Thanks all

Bill

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Rodenwjr

Reaction score
Does anyone know about a minimum trust point equivalent to make the hybrid work?

Bill

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your alternative is to purchase 3050 resale points (likely 3250). Those are fully enrollable. Just depends if you can find a suitable week of the right point value and right maintenance fee or not.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Does anyone know about a minimum trust point equivalent to make the hybrid work?

Bill

I don't know if there is a minimum, but we did one in 2014 for 1750 points paired with a resale week worth 1625 points. The only thing you have to watch with those low-point resale weeks is the maintenance fee cost per point. Usually the low-point weeks are lesser seasons or views, but they have the same maintenance fee as a high season/top view unit. Since they generate fewer points, your ongoing cost per point could be considerably higher than the $0.58/point maintenance fee cost of resale Trust points. You should evaluate the upfront cost AND the ongoing cost,; when you do, you might find that @Steve Fatula has the right approach above - buy resale points. Each deal is different.

Rodenwjr

Reaction score
Your alternative is to purchase 3050 resale points (likely 3250). Those are fully enrollable. Just depends if you can find a suitable week of the right point value and right maintenance fee or not.
When you say the resale points can be fully enrolled...what do you mean? If I'm buying Marriott points...arent I already enrolled? I understand enrolling weeks into the points system but what is enrolling points into the points system?

This also brings up another question...do you get all the same presidential level perks when buying resale? Ex...extended election deadline, 60 day last minute resv point discount, Bonvoy Titanium elite level.

What does the enrollment cost?

I might be going down the rabbit hole with all the possibilities.

Thanks

Bill

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Enrollment for points just means you pay the fee to Marriott, ~$3/pt. So, if you purchase points for $3, and pay Marriott their fee of ~$3, you'd be out about $6 per point. Worst case is you would be out about $7 per point if you have to buy for $4, about the same as the hybrid package. This is what I did a couple of years ago. My all in was $4.71/pt, but the fee was lower then and I had a motivated seller. Points were added to the same mvci account, and I've experienced no hassles, differences, etc. So, this would be purchasing from an individual other than Marriott which is why they have the fee. There are a number of brokers with people wanting to sell their points.

Steven Tings excellent calculator can be found here:

https://vacationpointexchange.com/resale/

Note it looks complicated, but if you're realtor is familiar with dc point resales, it's not at all, they handle it, you just sign.

Reactions: ejp

Rodenwjr

Reaction score
Ok...so this is a text I just got back from a salesperson selling points with Marriott....

"Resale is not an option for points for tiers. First off, Marriott controls the secondary market so they have right of first refusal. Meaning Marriott would more than likely step in before escrow closes and buy the points back from the seller.
Secondly as a rule of thumb, any points purchased on the secondary magnet cannot and will not go toward any tiers of ownership. You could buy 20,000 points on resale and won't get any benefits of chairman's club or any other tier. "

Can anyone confirm this???? Could be true but there's a sense of doubt in me to believe it.

Bill

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok...so this is a text I just got back from a salesperson selling points with Marriott....

"Resale is not an option for points for tiers. First off, Marriott controls the secondary market so they have right of first refusal. Meaning Marriott would more than likely step in before escrow closes and buy the points back from the seller.
Secondly as a rule of thumb, any points purchased on the secondary magnet cannot and will not go toward any tiers of ownership. You could buy 20,000 points on resale and won't get any benefits of chairman's club or any other tier. "

Can anyone confirm this???? Could be true but there's a sense of doubt in me to believe it.

Bill

I believe that once you pay Marriott their $3 per point fee then those points will function just like points purchased directly from Marriott, and will go toward tier ownership levels.

Maybe someone here on TUG can chime in with their actual experience regarding this.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
The salesperson is telling a falsehood. Resale points do count toward tiers. I purchased 1000 points resale and it put me up to Presidential.

Marriott does not control the resale market. While it is true that they can step in, they must do it at the beginning when the contract is submitted.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill

I am absolutely amazed that a salesperson would go so far as to put such misleading information in writing!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am absolutely amazed that a salesperson would go so far as to put such misleading information in writing!
They probably should not have but there is an element of truth to each component of the statement. Though we all know the intent was to mislead. Had he qualified the points counting toward levels with a statement about "without very high fees", the entire thing would have been technically accurate. This is a good example of what I was talking about a few months ago when I said salespeople often don't lie but they tell half truths to mislead.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
They probably should not have but there is an element of truth to each component of the statement. Though we all know the intent was to mislead. Had he qualified the points counting toward levels with a statement about "without very high fees", the entire thing would have been technically accurate. This is a good example of what I was talking about a few months ago when I said salespeople often don't lie but they tell half truths to mislead.
I agree with the principle of what you say.
I would call these “considerably less than half” truths though.
To say that resale points will not go towards any tiers of ownership could be viewed as just being economical with the truth (if you are being generous).
To say they cannot though is just plain mistruth.

Rodenwjr

Reaction score
Steven

May I ask how long ago you purchased the 1000 points?

Also now that you are presidential...do you have access to all the perks as stated above in my post? (I quoted it below)

"This also brings up another question...do you get all the same presidential level perks when buying resale? Ex...extended election deadline, 60 day last minute resv point discount, Bonvoy Titanium elite level."

Bill

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

Bill

Marriott imposes a 'junk' (or penalty) fee of $3 per point on resale points purchases (with a $3k minimum fee) as a condition of allowing you to 'enroll' them (which functionally makes them the same as points purchased retail from Marriott). Enrolled points do count toward ownership levels - Select, Presidential, etc.

Note - There is language in Marriott's program terms that allows them to restrict resale points (whether you paid the fee or not) from accessing a couple of 'select' benefits (like Collette Tours) but so far they have not invoked that requirement. They could decide to in the future and no one knows if they will or not.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
This also brings up another question...do you get all the same presidential level perks when buying resale? Ex...extended election deadline, 60 day last minute resv point discount, Bonvoy Titanium elite level.
Best way to get 100% piece of mind is to email Customer Care, and get a reply in writing from them. customer.care@vacationclub.com

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with the principle of what you say.
I would call these “considerably less than half” truths though.
To say that resale points will not go towards any tiers of ownership could be viewed as just being economical with the truth (if you are being generous).
To say they cannot though is just plain mistruth.
But go back and reread the info. The ROFR info is largely accurate though clearly intended to be misleading. Relating to points counting for tiers they use the wording "as a rule of thumb" and did not make it an absolute statement. Clearly they were trying to get close to the cliff but not step off. This is what sleazy salespeople do as well as those who are ill informed or misinformed.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
But go back and reread the info. The ROFR info is largely accurate though clearly intended to be misleading. Relating to points counting for tiers they use the wording "as a rule of thumb" and did not make it an absolute statement. Clearly they were trying to get close to the cliff but not step off. This is what sleazy salespeople do as well as those who are ill informed or misinformed.
Definition of "a rule of thumb"

A broadly accurate guide or principle, based on experience or practice rather than theory.

What he stated was not a rule of thumb, it was a lie. Just call it what it is!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definition of "a rule of thumb"

A broadly accurate guide or principle, based on experience or practice rather than theory.

What he stated was not a rule of thumb, it was a lie. Just call it what it is!
But it wasn't 100% inaccurate either, that was the point.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steven

May I ask how long ago you purchased the 1000 points?

Also now that you are presidential...do you have access to all the perks as stated above in my post? (I quoted it below)

"This also brings up another question...do you get all the same presidential level perks when buying resale? Ex...extended election deadline, 60 day last minute resv point discount, Bonvoy Titanium elite level."

Bill

Mine were 3 hears ago, they DEFINITELY count towards tiers, all perks. Yes, they can exercise rofr, but, you simply buy from someone else and you are out nothing but time. It took a few offers before we passed rofr.

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
My resale DPs count toward the tiers.