• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Oahu timeshares?

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get Oahu in September and it is so difficult. I can't even do it with my Wyndham account. Kids will be back in school so I am hoping to find something sooner rather than later, not that it matters. (Just for my own sanity.)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm trying to get Oahu in September and it is so difficult. I can't even do it with my Wyndham account. Kids will be back in school so I am hoping to find something sooner rather than later, not that it matters. (Just for my own sanity.)

This coming September 2019? If so, you’re awfully late. That would have booked out over a year ago.

Dave

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed for a month or so in Waikiki for the last four years. Every morning I check for availability through RCI weeks and see plenty of availability with less than two weeks out at about half the TPU’s. Usually around 20 to 24 for a studio or one bedroom. Sometimes as low as 12! This has worked out well for us and I brave the uncertainty in order to stretch out my TPU’s.
Available units are at a premium in February/March/April, but I have been able to book last minute with no huge glitches so far. I have done this in November, December and March April. Generally I might have to book a few nights at a hotel to fill the gaps in and moving around can be a pain. I like Lifetime in Hawaii for its free parking, Imperial Hawaii for its location and super friendly staff, Royal Aloha Lewers Street for the in unit washer and dryers and warm pool.
I do have an advantage in car usage as I borrow my daughters car for the period that we are there. I can also stay at her apartment if need be, although I really like having my own place to stay. I’ve done some serous studying on availability and belong to RCI, DAE, II and frequent Hawaii Timeshare exchange as well. I must have a unit that sleeps four so a few of the timeshares that are available do not fit my needs such as Royal Garden. I also have found that some timeshares within the same building (Royal Kuhio) can have widely varying extra fees...so be careful. Happy Hunting!

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
This coming September 2019? If so, you’re awfully late. That would have booked out over a year ago.

Dave

September IS booking far out for us. We fly standby so we don't even think about doing things far out.

I can easily get BI or Kauai. I've got Royal Sea Cliff but then we would have to island hop. Oahu is a challenge. I've been watching all three of my RCI accounts. It does look as though that last minute does pop up, but it is really last minute. Although I do have to admit that the only time that I ever went to HNL we didn't even have any place to stay until we got there. I'm trying to not do that again. :)

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
September IS booking far out for us. We fly standby so we don't even think about doing things far out.

I can easily get BI or Kauai. I've got Royal Sea Cliff but then we would have to island hop. Oahu is a challenge. I've been watching all three of my RCI accounts. It does look as though that last minute does pop up, but it is really last minute. Although I do have to admit that the only time that I ever went to HNL we didn't even have any place to stay until we got there. I'm trying to not do that again. :)

Since you are on a Timeshare User Group Forum I will give my thoughts on timeshare ownership and booking. If you can't plan ahead, DON'T OWN TIMESHARES unless you are going are only going to use the week that you own and timing is not an issue. The really good stuff gets booked almost immediately or soon after it becomes available. Since this is the end of July if September is far out then all you will get are cancellations at the last minute. Therefore, the advice that I saw about booking hotel rooms for Oahu would also be mine. We don't own any timeshares in Hawaii, however, we use the HGVC system to book timeshares in Oahu all the time and get whatever weeks we want. We have stayed as long as 4 months in Oahu. However, we book at the 9 month Club Season start date which is when owners of units no longer have their exclusive priority.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you are on a Timeshare User Group Forum I will give my thoughts on timeshare ownership and booking. If you can't plan ahead, DON'T OWN TIMESHARES unless you are going are only going to use the week that you own and timing is not an issue. The really good stuff gets booked almost immediately or soon after it becomes available. Since this is the end of July if September is far out then all you will get are cancellations at the last minute. Therefore, the advice that I saw about booking hotel rooms for Oahu would also be mine. We don't own any timeshares in Hawaii, however, we use the HGVC system to book timeshares in Oahu all the time and get whatever weeks we want. We have stayed as long as 4 months in Oahu. However, we book at the 9 month Club Season start date which is when owners of units no longer have their exclusive priority.
That depends on when you travel and where you go. I spend 90 percent of my timeshare vacations in Vegas or Orlando and travel off season at last minute. I have never had a problem booking those timeshares 6-8 weeks in advance. But once open season rolls around or inside 30 days, they fill up.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
That depends on when you travel and where you go. I spend 90 percent of my timeshare vacations in Vegas or Orlando and travel off season at last minute. I have never had a problem booking those timeshares 6-8 weeks in advance. But once open season rolls around or inside 30 days, they fill up.

I totally agree with your thoughts about Orlando and Las Vegas due to the great deal of availability of timeshares and inexpensive hotels in those areas. However, since this Forum is the Hawaii Timesharing Page my comment that "The really good stuff gets booked almost immediately or soon after it becomes available." was directed at Hawaii timesharing. While there are great timeshare resorts in both Orlando and Las Vegas they are not as sort after by members as the ones in Oahu, therefore, they are not the "really good stuff" for the purposes of this discussion.

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you checked RCI weeks this morning there are six units available in August 2019 last minute. Three different resorts show availability. I check every morning, Alexa gives me a reminder. Units show up on a consistent basis. For three months I kept spreadsheets of last minute available until I convinced myself that last minute availability in Hawaii is actually very doable. It’s not the easiest place to get to so when someone cancels it’s not scooped up immediately. The resorts were Imperial Hawaii, Royal Aloha, Lifetime in Hawaii and Royal Hawaiian Adventure club. I’ve also seen Royal Gardens and a few others pop up. I have an RCI weeks account...generic.