• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Toss or save?

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
we were shipped three large boxes of slides and videos left over from my mother in law and her new husband. Back in 2000 we had asked step brother to toss.
The one box contains empty reels for 8mm film.
The larger box contains a splicer for 8 mm film, about twenty large reels of film of their trips, and many small spools of film that may have something taken when my son was a baby.
The last box has over a thousand slides, which I went through. About fifty were relavent to our family and I have digitalized them. About 150 were slides of the second husband’s family growing up and I will get to his family. There were also many three D slides, but I haven’t found the three D hand held device.
I still have another box to go through, which I hope will be of a trip we took.

After going through the slides, I have discovered my mother in law was a poor photographer and wasn’t inclined to take pictures of people.
My inclination is to toss the slides and films, but I looked on eBay and to my surprise people SELL old slides. I don’t know if I would do that, but the empty reels, slidecases, splicer, etc May be of use to someone.
Do I keep all the movies and slides or put them out with the garbage on Friday morning?

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Don't keep them unless you will enjoy viewing/using them or plan to sell/give them away quickly. Otherwise it's just more junk.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste the time & hassle of selling on ebay. I belong to a local "Free" / "trash to treasure" Facebook group. I'd offer for free on this type of site , or Craigslist, and if you get no nibbles in a couple of days, trash.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste the time & hassle of selling on ebay. I belong to a local "Free" / "trash to treasure" Facebook group. I'd offer for free on this type of site , or Craigslist, and if you get no nibbles in a couple of days, trash.
Yes, I was thinking of offering for free on local site

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I came across a large box of slides on carousels that I believe my husband used when teaching biology and earth science.
I don’t think teachers use these anymore.
I also came across the slides and 8mm movies that I put aside to keep and need to go through those, they should have family pictures on them.
I came across a set of golf clubs, I believe from the thirties which we carried back on airplane in 1996 at my husband’s insistence that they were valuable.

A huge box or two of trophies and plaques we won for golf tournaments which my husband still won’t let me toss. I have all the good trophies saved, like club championships.

Then there are some things I saved:
My grandmas blue mason jars and lids
My grandmas meat grinder and canning pit(which I used to use)
A couple boxes of really antique items from my grandma and aunts. All the antique items from husband’s family are in china cabinet.
I won’t get rid of those at this time, but will relabel them.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I haven't figured out why old slides sell on eBay, but Mom and Dad have been given the word not to throw theirs in the trash. Without knowing, I'd guess professional artists and photographers want the images because they aren't copyrighted, and being an "antique" form of photography maybe there are cool images of fashion, street scenes with long demolished buildings, etc. But I'd still guess one would have to go through an awful lot of slides to find a keeper. I sure as heck won't move boxes of slides when we move to Carlsbad, but I would try Craigslist to see if anyone wants to give me a few bucks, then they can turn around and sell the images if they can.

BTW, our first garage sale at this house had several people swarming a stack of black &white, mounted, photos Cliff had taken in the 60s and 70s when photography was his hobby. They weren't even out for sale, just back in a corner because we'd had to move them to get at something else. If he had dropped dead the previous month I would have put the photos in the trash. I couldn't believe people were interested in them (all were resellers). He sold a few, kept the rest. Now we can't find the pile that was left and of course he accuses me of getting rid of them. I can't imagine what happened to them. We say "the house ate it" when stuff disappears never to be seen again.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great news
I found a small box of slides, in it abox labeled wedding, these eould be the only picture of our wedding 49 years ago. There are lots of others, some labeled trips we took together, and some before we were married. I am sure I will now see pictures of the three other ladies my husband was dating at the same time as me.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I came across a large box of slides on carousels that I believe my husband used when teaching biology and earth science.
I don’t think teachers use these anymore.
I also came across the slides and 8mm movies that I put aside to keep and need to go through those, they should have family pictures on them.
I came across a set of golf clubs, I believe from the thirties which we carried back on airplane in 1996 at my husband’s insistence that they were valuable.

A huge box or two of trophies and plaques we won for golf tournaments which my husband still won’t let me toss. I have all the good trophies saved, like club championships.

Then there are some things I saved:
My grandmas blue mason jars and lids
My grandmas meat grinder and canning pit(which I used to use)
A couple boxes of really antique items from my grandma and aunts. All the antique items from husband’s family are in china cabinet.
I won’t get rid of those at this time, but will relabel them.

Rapmarks,

Are you talking about the View Master? Depending on the content, these could still be useful even in a current classroom. Perhaps contact a local school?
viewmasterviewer.jpg

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Rapmarks,

Are you talking about the View Master? Depending on the content, these could still be useful even in a current classroom. Perhaps contact a local school?
viewmasterviewer.jpg
I believe I sent that kind home with my son a few years ago.
My mother in law had a stereo camera and I just found the equipment to view them
But by carousel I meant a round tray that went into a large slide projector that would proceed automatically and the teacher would explain what was being shown. He has one box titled features of a bog. These carousels are about 12 by 13, and hold maybe thirty to fifty slides

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
in front of all the boxes of things I saved are the six extra golf bags with the extra sets of golf clubs. Considering he has seven sets of golf clubs at the other house also, we are awash in golf equipment.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
But by carousel I meant a round tray that went into a large slide projector that would proceed automatically and the teacher would explain what was being shown. He has one box titled features of a bog. These carousels are about 12 by 13, and hold maybe thirty to fifty slides

Like this (for those interested):
carousel-prep-015.jpg

Kurt

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Yes, I was thinking of offering for free on local site
Another good free local site for giveaways is Freecycle. You do need to register for your local site.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be careful I have four (4) Kodak carousels full of color slides and a fold up screen to project the slides on. LOL
I guess, I need to put those slides on a CD rom one day.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We've got a dozen or so carousels of slides taken when we lived in Germany in the early 70s. We had a new fancy (at least to us) SLR camera and took slides of all our travels. In that era slides were considered preferable to print by some people because of better color quality, and they were cheaper to process, I think. Need to go through them because we have few regular photos of us from that time, although I suspect many are scenery we'll no longer care about. At least we still have the projector too. Who knew there was a market for old slides?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Be careful I have four (4) Kodak carousels full of color slides and a fold up screen to project the slides on. LOL
I guess, I need to put those slides on a CD rom one day.
Why put them on already outdated media (CD). Manufacturers aren't even putting CD drives in computers anymore. Put them in the cloud or on an SD card!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Surprisingly, some of the vintage equipment is sought after. It doesn't hurt to list it on eBay. All you lose is your time, but you could make some money. Better than tossing them. We have sold a lot of things in the last year that we thought no one would want...

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Great news
......these eould be the only picture of our wedding 49 years ago .......

.and some before we were married......

I am sure I will now see pictures of the three other ladies my husband was dating at the same time as me.

I am sure you will want to view these - to see what clothing styles were popular in 1970-

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We ended up with my father in laws photo collection which includes video tapes, pictures and slides. The tapes range from 8mm to vhs. I was wanting to toss these but started watching the 8mm because I have a 8mm camera. Very interesting stuff. This stuff takes up alot of space. I doubt we will ever watch all of them or see all of his pictures but we have them.

Bill

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why put them on already outdated media (CD). Manufacturers aren't even putting CD drives in computers anymore. Put them in the cloud or on an SD card!

Thanks for the suggestion. Now I must ask my Grandchildren to show me how to do this.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Throw them out! BTW- we have a 3D viewer. I am trying to get my husband to get rid of it along with his dad's pictures. He should have done so long ago.

Brett

Reaction score
I'll vote toss them out
I have a similar problem, boxes of old pics and slides my parents took while traveling.