• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The problem is the maintenance fees....

GetawaysRus

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Desert Springs Villas 2
Marriott Grand Chateau

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I agree - 8% to 10% per month maintenance fees, based on a minimum $2.4M purchase price seems just a tad steep. $192K per month would add up awfully quickly. And after a month or two or six of ownership, would you get tired of always being at sea? As an experienced Navy sailor with many years' experience being on a ship away from home, I can say the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

There is another cruise ship, called The World, that already does this sort of thing. I think the prices were lower, but still - if I had that much disposable income, I'd buy an ocean-front mansion in Hawaii, and then travel to wherever and whenever I wanted, when I needed to get away from such a dire place to live. :)

Dave

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I agree - 8% to 10% per month maintenance fees, based on a minimum $2.4M purchase price seems just a tad steep. $192K per month would add up awfully quickly. And after a month or two or six of ownership, would you get tired of always being at sea? As an experienced Navy sailor with many years' experience being on a ship away from home, I can say the novelty wears off pretty quickly.

There is another cruise ship, called The World, that already does this sort of thing. I think the prices were lower, but still - if I had that much disposable income, I'd buy an ocean-front mansion in Hawaii, and then travel to wherever and whenever I wanted, when I needed to get away from such a dire place to live. :)

Dave

Not in Arizona? :cool:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

Dave

One can purchase a condo on The World for much less -- although I think the reason is the same as that with which timeshare people are familiar; we buy resale.

I am aware of what MF's were on The World a few years ago; I'm fairly sure that the statement that MF's for Blue World will be about 8-10% of the purchase price is for the annual MF, not the monthly.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
'm fairly sure that the statement that MF's for Blue World will be about 8-10% of the purchase price is for the annual MF, not the monthly.

I sure hope so, otherwise they're not likely to sell many residences. The MFs would equal the purchase price every ten to twelve months. That's crazy talk! ;)

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
OK. Not a cruise ship but..

I am here right now at our timeshare in Vt and the internet fee just went up to $30. They say if they didn't charge it our maintenance fee would go up. So it would be even higher than it already is?

Better to charge people who use it and people who don't want it won't have to pay. They said if not we would be charged a resort fee. So the HOA's decided to keep it this way with the charge.

Meanwhile at our other timeshare wifi is free.

One guy who owns and is selling his 3 family share units (3/4 share)at our resorts' newest building says the annual fees total $44,000! Wait- what?!

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines

I am here right now at our timeshare in Vt and the internet fee just went up to $30. They say if they didn't charge it our maintenance fee would go up. So it would be even higher than it already is?

Better to charge people who use it and people who don't want it won't have to pay. They said if not we would be charged a resort fee. So the HOA's decided to keep it this way with the charge.

Is there anyone who doesn't want free wifi? Gee, that's got to be a really small subset. My T/S has upgraded their wifi over the years and it's really quite good. Initially, it was not. My MF has inched up over the years but it's still a bargain.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Is there anyone who doesn't want free wifi? Gee, that's got to be a really small subset. My T/S has upgraded their wifi over the years and it's really quite good. Initially, it was not. My MF has inched up over the years but it's still a bargain.
I could do without wifi domestically, but I do like having it included for international travel. I have unlimited data on my mobile plan and can use my phone or tablet as a hotspot for no additional charge when in the US. This can also be done internationally, but cost $10/day. I've been to resorts where the wifi is so slow its just frustrating and I end up using my mobile hotspot anyway.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I could do without wifi domestically, but I do like having it included for international travel. I have unlimited days on my mobile plan and can use my phone or tablet as a hotspot for no additional charge when in the US. This can also be done internationally, but cost $10/day. I've been to resorts where the wifi is so slow its just frustrating and I end up using my mobile hotspot anyway.

How do you use a mobile hotspot? What is involved I that? I did not know about this- someone else mentioned it on my timeshare owners Facebook page.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
How do you use a mobile hotspot? What is involved I that? I did not know about this- someone else mentioned it on my timeshare owners Facebook page.

Mary Ann,

Most phones can act as a hot spot. In your phone's settings there is an option for tethering (which I believe to be the technical term) which turns on/off the phone as a hotspot.
Then your phone becomes a wireless access point.
You can then allow any connection to your phone OR you can require a password to connect to your phone (and use its resources).
Obviously, you want to at least require a password to connect to your phone for security purposes.

Every phone that can perform tethering (acting as a mobile hotspot) will then utilize your phone's data plan - that's important because depending on the specifics of your data plan you might use a lot of data (depending on what you stream and for how long), your data might be throttled back at some point, and/or you might not be all that happy with the connection if you are in an area of poor reception.

Your cell phone vendor should have a step by step guide on how to set your specific phone up to act as a mobile hot spot.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Substituted 'free wifi' for a box of chocolates......

From my perspective, my phone usage has changed over the years and where there was once a time when I might not care if some malevolent person could access my phone without my knowing (all they would see is a phone log), those days have long gone. I will avoid free WiFi as much as possible and when practical.

Especially if an area has decent cell reception.
As we all know though, that is NOT always the case.

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Most phones can act as a hot spot.
While it is true that most phones can act as a hot spot, you also need a cell phone plan that allows that functionality. Many plans (especially the lower-cost plans) block the ability to tether, so even if your phone hardware supports it, you may still be out of luck.

Kurt

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While it is true that most phones can act as a hot spot, you also need a cell phone plan that allows that functionality. Many plans (especially the lower-cost plans) block the ability to tether, so even if your phone hardware supports it, you may still be out of luck.

Kurt
I was using my cell phone hotspot and received a message that I had exceeded my limit. Had to pay $9.99 to continue and that only lasted another day. (Normally, I don't exceed the regular amount so did not want to switch plans.)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

One guy who owns and is selling his 3 family share units (3/4 share)at our resorts' newest building says the annual fees total $44,000! Wait- what?!

IMO Next thing they will charge you for is using water. These days Wifi is expected and should not be an option.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
IMO Next thing they will charge you for is using water. These days Wifi is expected and should not be an option.

Exactly. To me, having WIFI is like having TV and they don't charge for TV- yet!

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
Internet connection has become a necessity because it has replaced Yellow Pages, those racks of tourist info in every motel lobby, free maps at service stations, and paper directories of hotels, for the most part. It's really difficult to manage today's activities and plan tomorrow's without some kind of data connection.