• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I’m in Hawaii now

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
First Shave Ice since I got here, $10 with a tip. What the heck. :)

It’s great in the shade though. :thumbup:

Welcome to Waikiki, the Hawaiian equivalent of Beverly Hills or Manhattan.

As you're driving around the Island (and you should) stop in Haleiwa at Matsumoto's for shave ice. Waaaay cheaper. https://matsumotoshaveice.com

Dave

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

As you're driving around the Island (and you should) stop in Haleiwa at Matsumoto's for shave ice. Waaaay cheaper. https://matsumotoshaveice.com

Dave

I have seen that on tv but haven’t been there yet. The prices are how I remember them. This is kind of a vacation week so I’ll eat out a lot but I did grabs some things for a few breakfasts and I will have some leftovers for some lunches.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Surf and Turf Tacos for dinner. Just across from The International Market Place. Price was good in this one too, $17.00.

AABACD27-0F0E-4D4B-8429-FAEAE382C421.jpeg
9953E3E4-F577-4317-B408-A82968D22761.jpeg

chellej

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave

We tried to go there in April and the line was so long we couldn't wait (had a rum tasting scheduled) we ended up at the general store and the shave ice was excellent and no line.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Get your Hawaiian Driver's License and get the Kama'aina Discount at many Restaurants and Tourist Activities.

Yes, I plan to wait until my car comes in had handle the registration at the same time.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
First apartment was taken. It wasn’t as nice as the pictures either. Working on looking at three others. My last choice got back to me so I could make an appointment for that one but I will wait a little bit. Hope the others get back to me.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have spent the day helping UPS volunteers move 1 million books on 250+ pallets from a local warehouse to multiple points overseas, most of them in South Africa. It was VERY HOT. And now *all* I want is Hawaiian shave ice. So thanks for that. #myjobissoweird

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I plan to wait until my car comes in had handle the registration at the same time.
Hawaii requires proof of residency anyway. You will need a rental agreement and pay stub or something similar to demonstrate residency.

I learned this a while back when I tried to get a state ID card.

So waiting is probably your best bet.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Well, I may have found a place. I filled out the application and she will let me know tomorrow morning. My wife still has to sign and scan the application too.

It’s right on Ala Wai so it’s 5.5 miles from work and it took me about 20 minutes to get there today. That should be about right because I start at 7am so the time should be close. Plus my wife will be in Waikiki and close to everything.

It’s small but it’s furnished and has a lot of amenities and common areas. It has a pool and BBQ area that we will spend some time at. That area is being renovated now but all the other areas were available. There’s a game room with pool and foosball plus a workout room, saunas, 24/7 security, elevators and a covered parking spot. Nice views too. It’s on the 26th floor. Keep your fingers crossed. :thumbup:

8308026D-3CB9-4F27-86C5-B3E299675802.jpeg
328F184A-716A-496C-908B-AA45112EF46E.jpeg

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I spent a few hours driving around again today and even went to the Costco. I stopped at more stop lights over the last few days as I have in the last year in Wisconsin. Of course there are only six lights in my old home town. :)

It will take some getting used to but getting back and forth from work is pretty straightforward and easy. I know my wife will like being close to everything, even though she’ll say it too crowded. :)

So, so far the driving hasn’t been too bad. At least i’m mostly only driving 25 and 35 miles an hour. I haven’t hopped on the H1 yet. I maybe busy moving soon. :thumbup:

taffy19

Reaction score
Well, I may have found a place. I filled out the application and she will let me know tomorrow morning. My wife still has to sign and scan the application too.

It’s right on Ala Wai so it’s 5.5 miles from work and it took me about 20 minutes to get there today. That should be about right because I start at 7am so the time should be close. Plus my wife will be in Waikiki and close to everything.

It’s small but it’s furnished and has a lot of amenities and common areas. It has a pool and BBQ area that we will spend some time at. That area is being renovated now but all the other areas were available. There’s a game room with pool and foosball plus a workout room, saunas, 24/7 security, elevators and a covered parking spot. Nice views too. It’s on the 26th floor. Keep your fingers crossed. :thumbup:

View attachment 13125 View attachment 13126
That is quite a nice view with a lot of greenery and much nicer than looking at a bunch of high rises in front of you or a parking lot view.

Everything else sounds good too. Let’s hope that luck stays with you! :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
That’s a good option for what you need, Jeff. Crowded, certainly. But how much more will you appreciate getting away to Molokai? It’s a great transition option. Good luck!

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Which Costco did you visit? There are four on the island.

Iwilei is closest to your work, and is the most central. Waipio and Kapolei will be more suburban, but packed with shoppers from those parts of the island. Hawaii Kai is probably the most laid-back, and will probably have some expensive things the other warehouses may not. (It's a clientele thing - Hawaii Kai is a fancier neighborhood.). Each one is worth visiting. (But you all knew I'd say that. LOL!)

Dave

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hope you get it. That is a nice area of town near to Waikiki.

Iolani School is on the left side of the picture -- it is a private school and my alma mater. I use to run around the Ala Wai for cross-country practice every day during the season. Brings back memories (though they have clearly renovated -- it didn't look like that when I went there 30+ years ago).

20 minutes sounded optimistic during rush hour -- but it sounds like you mapped it out and you are going contra-commute so maybe that is why. Looks like a good spot -- good luck!

-ryan

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
One more thing... if you do move to that spot, you will be close to Rainbow Drive-in, my favorite plate lunch spot in the area. As seniors in high school, we could go off-campus for lunch and we'd go there at least once a week. Chicken katsu, hamburger steak... yum. A must try if you haven't been there before.

-ryan

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
One more thing... if you do move to that spot, you will be close to Rainbow Drive-in, my favorite plate lunch spot in the area. As seniors in high school, we could go off-campus for lunch and we'd go there at least once a week. Chicken katsu, hamburger steak... yum. A must try if you haven't been there before.

-ryan

Where else would macaroni salad and sticky rice go on the same plate? With brown gravy on the hamburger patty. ;)

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I spent a few hours driving around again today and even went to the Costco. I stopped at more stop lights over the last few days as I have in the last year in Wisconsin. Of course there are only six lights in my old home town. :)

It will take some getting used to but getting back and forth from work is pretty straightforward and easy. I know my wife will like being close to everything, even though she’ll say it too crowded. :)
You both may enjoy it- at least a little- and knowing it isn't permanent.. We like having our 'city place' and our 'country house'.

I probably missed it, Jeff, but when do you have to report for work?
Oh, and if you buy in advance, how much is a round trip to Molokai (thinking longish weekends)?

Jim

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hope you get it. That is a nice area of town near to Waikiki.

Iolani School is on the left side of the picture -- it is a private school and my alma mater. I use to run around the Ala Wai for cross-country practice every day during the season. Brings back memories (though they have clearly renovated -- it didn't look like that when I went there 30+ years ago).

20 minutes sounded optimistic during rush hour -- but it sounds like you mapped it out and you are going contra-commute so maybe that is why. Looks like a good spot -- good luck!

-ryan

Yes, I don’t know about 20 minutes on my way home but I will be leaving a little earlier when I go in so I will miss part of rush hour. Google maps showed 22 minutes during high travel times and I drove it yesterday in 20. One nice thing is that it’s very straight forward to get to and I stay on the main roads.

My director says when she comes, she stays a few blocks from her and she says it takes her about 20 minutes. She goes in an hour later than me also. I’m sure that will all depend on the day too.

And I’ll definitely hit the Rainbow!!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That’s a good option for what you need, Jeff. Crowded, certainly. But how much more will you appreciate getting away to Molokai? It’s a great transition option. Good luck!

Dave

Yep, it’s crowed but being up high is nice looking down on it all. We’re also away from a lot of the noise. I’m thinking it will work out nice.

taffy19

Reaction score
Yep, it’s crowed but being up high is nice looking down on it all. We’re also away from a lot of the noise. I’m thinking it will work out nice.
It looks quite because of so much green area there. I hope that it will be yours for the time being. :D

PS. What is also nice is that you will see lots of lights at night!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Which Costco did you visit? There are four on the island.

Iwilei is closest to your work, and is the most central. Waipio and Kapolei will be more suburban, but packed with shoppers from those parts of the island. Hawaii Kai is probably the most laid-back, and will probably have some expensive things the other warehouses may not. (It's a clientele thing - Hawaii Kai is a fancier neighborhood.). Each one is worth visiting. (But you all knew I'd say that. LOL!)

Dave

I went to Iwilei and yes it was packed for a Monday. I stopped when I was in that area. Didn’t buy anything, I have to get the apartment first. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Where else would macaroni salad and sticky rice go on the same plate? With brown gravy on the hamburger patty. ;)

Dave

Heck I had that at the Korean BBQ I went to yesterday. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You both may enjoy it- at least a little- and knowing it isn't permanent.. We like having our 'city place' and our 'country house'.

I probably missed it, Jeff, but when do you have to report for work?
Oh, and if you buy in advance, how much is a round trip to Molokai (thinking longish weekends)?

Jim

I’m telling that to my wife too. I think she will like being close to everything so I hope this will be a good compromise.

I have to be at work on Monday, 08-05-19.

Reactions: Xan

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m telling that to my wife too. I think she will like being close to everything so I hope this will be a good compromise.

I have to be at work on Monday, 08-05-19.
Cool. Never mind on the airfare- it looks like $90 RT on Mokolele no matter when.