• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott hotels in Rome, Italy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Pizza by the slice is a special pizza that has different toppings you can pick from, its comes in square sheets and they cut with a scissors the amount you want weigh it, and heat it for you if you want it heated, I have only seen it in Rome and I LOVE that pizza!

That's just pizza, some places make it in squares others don't, I've seen it all over and not just in Italy. I've seen it in Spain, Hungary and even Poland, it's certainly not unique to Rome.

Swice

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Umm, care to share? What's the trick? :ponder:

Typically, "real/fresh" gelato is made in small batches. They told us to look in the freezer display cases and to avoid the places where the gelato is puffy and pilled high. They said the puffy gelato is commercially-machine made in a factory. The puffiness means it contains more air and possibly artifical colors and flavors. Gelato that is "flat" in the freezer case was probably made in house which leads natives to believe there is less air and contains fresher ingredients that have a short shelf/storage life.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gelato is whipped at a slower speed therefore it incorporates less air than normal ice cream which is whipped at higher speeds. The more whipped a gelato looks the more likely it has been produced at higher speeds. Nothing wrong in that per se as it's more about the ingredients and the storage temperatures that determine how it tastes. Looking at most gelatarias I would suspect that due the varieties most have on offer I would imagine that most are bought in from a commercial producer as there does not seem to be the room in many of these tiny places to produce such a variety at such volumes.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's just pizza, some places make it in squares others don't, I've seen it all over and not just in Italy. I've seen it in Spain, Hungary and even Poland, it's certainly not unique to Rome.

I appreciate your post. The one I am referring to is different then other slices of pizza. I am a pizza addict, and this has a different taste, without a thick crust. I always try pizza whatever country I am in, been to 45 countries and kingdoms now. I always find falafel, hummus and lentil soup wherever I wander and it does vary. Certain things I just gotta have:). I also LOVE spaghetti Aglio Olio and the best I have ever had was in Prague in the Czech Republic. Ruined me for Aglio anywhere else. :) I have a feeling that the place I get the Aglio at if I ever saw the kitchen I would never eat there, but I haven't so all is good. When people say Prague, my mind zooms to Aglio Olio.;)

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The one I am referring to is different then other slices of pizza. I am a pizza addict, and this has a different taste, without a thick crust.

I know the type you're referring to and typically the square blocks of pizza do not have a thick crust, this is because they're cooked in trays which prevents the formation of the crust. As I said, they are not unique to Rome or even Italy. One of the best pizzas I've eaten was in Warsaw of all places and one of the worst was in Italy. However, without blowing my own trumpet, some of the best pizzas are those I make in my wood fired pizza oven most likely because everything I make is exactly to my liking.

mav

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know the type you're referring to and typically the square blocks of pizza do not have a thick crust, this is because they're cooked in trays which prevents the formation of the crust. As I said, they are not unique to Rome or even Italy. One of the best pizzas I've eaten was in Warsaw of all places and one of the worst was in Italy. However, without blowing my own trumpet, some of the best pizzas are those I make in my wood fired pizza oven most likely because everything I make is exactly to my liking.

What time is pizza at your place being served? :)
BTW, I have been to Kracow twice and really enjoyed it both times, but not Warsaw. How did u like Warsaw?

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reviving this thread with a question please
We will be 3 in Rome in October (middle aged couple and college student) staying 4 or 5 nights- no car, first visit for the couple.
I see the raves here for Palazzo Naiadi and was about to book an exclusive room (king with rollaway permitted) on points plus cash and add my suites nights request.
But now I see I can get a 1 bedroom suite at the Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora (king plus sofa bed) for a little less ( $20 and 40K points)- really an insignificant amount to pay, but the bedroom is significant.
So my question- is the Palazzo Naiadi still a better choice- nicer, better location, better to be on a rollaway? If I did get the suite nights upgrade at Palazzo would it just be a larger room or up to the suite? I’ve never done a suite night request and I’m not sure how to play. If I really want a suite would I book one as a back up in case my suite night didn’t go through? I’m platinum elite.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
We will be 3 in Rome in October (middle aged couple and college student) staying 4 or 5 nights- no car, first visit for the couple.
I see the raves here for Palazzo Naiadi and was about to book an exclusive room (king with rollaway permitted) on points plus cash and add my suites nights request.
But now I see I can get a 1 bedroom suite at the Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora (king plus sofa bed) for a little less ( $20 and 40K points).
So my question- is the Palazzo Naiadi still a better choice- nicer, better location, better to be on a rollaway? If I did get the suite nights upgrade would it just be a larger room or up to the suite? I’ve never done a suite night request and I’m not sure how to play.

Thanks for advice- I’ve read trip advisor and Marriott insiders but I like advice from reliable tuggers who are used to TS like me.

Many TUGGERS have said that over the last few years the Grand Flora has lost its top rating as far as Rome Marriotts.
Staff attitudes, hotel in general, etc, etc. If the savings are real significant, you could consider it, but I'm always in search of the best experience, and I can vouch for Palazzo Naiadi. We were just there in October.......fabulous.

The star right now is Palazzo Naiadi, and if you don't go to Rome often, don't take that chance.
I also did the cash/points thing, and got the upgrades with Suite Night awards. We thoroughly enjoyed our 3-night stay.
It's within walking distance to the train station Roma Termini, and that eliminated the need for a taxi or hired vehicle.
We used rolling carry-ons only for our 10 nights in Italy, so we easily wheeled around to the hotel....maybe 3 blocks, but easy.

Staff at Palazzo Naiadi was beyond exceptional, and the concierge desk there was the best I've ever encountered anywhere, period.
The rooms you'll probably get are large and wonderful...we got two because we traveled with another couple, and both were great.
Not sure what's available for that award upgrade, but that's a question to be decided by you and front desk closer to your stay.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
But now I see I can get a 1 bedroom suite at the Rome Marriott Grand Hotel Flora (king plus sofa bed) for a little less ( $20 and 40K points)- really an insignificant amount to pay, but the bedroom is significant.
So my question- is the Palazzo Naiadi still a better choice- nicer, better location, better to be on a rollaway? If I did get the suite nights upgrade at Palazzo would it just be a larger room or up to the suite? I’ve never done a suite night request and I’m not sure how to play. If I really want a suite would I book one as a back up in case my suite night didn’t go through? I’m platinum elite.

Thanks for advice- I’ve read trip advisor and Marriott insiders but I like advice from reliable tuggers who are used to TS like me.

I have been to Rome, but stayed at neither of these 2 hotels. With overall comparable city locations, depending on what you are planning to do/visit - Vatican City, Trevi Fountain, Colisseum, Spanish Steps, Ruins district; either location would work. I would probably take the 1BR at the Marriott (given European rooms are generally smaller and an upgraded European room may still feel no larger than a domestic standard room), but that's just me. The train between the airport and downtown is reliable, as is their underground Metro system to get around the city. I had no trouble not having a car. If you get a chance to get a photo with one of the uniformed traffic Carabinieri, I think they are among the sharpest dressed law enforcement I have seen and they get to drive Alpha Romeo (marked) and Massarati (unmarked) patrol cars. Sheesh. :cool:

alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-c138903112017185750_1.jpg

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
However, without blowing my own trumpet, some of the best pizzas are those I make in my wood fired pizza oven most likely because everything I make is exactly to my liking.
One advantage of being the chief cook is that you get to prepare what you like, the way you like it, and others be damned.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many TUGGERS have said that over the last few years the Grand Flora has lost its top rating as far as Rome Marriotts.
Staff attitudes, hotel in general, etc, etc. If the savings are real significant, you could consider it, but I'm always in search of the best experience, and I can vouch for Palazzo Naiadi. We were just there in October.......fabulous.

The star right now is Palazzo Naiadi, and if you don't go to Rome often, don't take that chance.
I also did the cash/points thing, and got the upgrades with Suite Night awards. We thoroughly enjoyed our 3-night stay.
It's within walking distance to the train station Roma Termini, and that eliminated the need for a taxi or hired vehicle.
We used rolling carry-ons only for our 10 nights in Italy, so we easily wheeled around to the hotel....maybe 3 blocks, but easy.

Staff at Palazzo Naiadi was beyond exceptional, and the concierge desk there was the best I've ever encountered anywhere, period.
The rooms you'll probably get are large and wonderful...we got two because we traveled with another couple, and both were great.
Not sure what's available for that award upgrade, but that's a question to be decided by you and front desk closer to your stay.

Thank you. I have read the raves on Palazzo here, but over on Marriott insiders there seems to be more raving on Flora so I thought I would ask here.

jme, What room were you upgraded to with your suite nights award?

Anyone have experience on sofa bed vs. rollaway?

The money/ points difference is not the issue, really I think it’s having the suite/ bedroom that I think would make us much happier. I’m not adverse to spending a bit for this trip- just considering if the suite for “free” is a good option.

Is the Flora walking distance to public trans?

I’m considering making a a room reservation at Palazzo with a suite night request, a suite reservation at Flora and see what happens. Anyone know a reason I shouldn’t do that?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
We stayed at the Flora and enjoyed it very much. The breakfast on the rooftop was awesome (complimentary for us due to our Marriott status). Yes, it was close to public transportation. We took the subway to get around to some places.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We stayed at the Palazzo for three nights last fall on the back end of a Mediterranean cruise. Booked a Superior King Guest room. We didn't have any Suite upgrades at the time, but our Platinum status seemed to get us some sort of upgrade because we had a great room. Huge. See picture.

20180913_AzamaraCruise_7912.jpg

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the Flora and enjoyed it very much. The breakfast on the rooftop was awesome (complimentary for us due to our Marriott status). Yes, it was close to public transportation. We took the subway to get around to some places.

How long ago?
Do you know what level for free breakfast? We are platinum elite.
Is there a lounge?
Thanks.

Last edited:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I am a Palazzo Naiadi fan myself, but that said, have never stayed at the Grand Flora. On the Grand Flora website (https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/romdt-rome-marriott-grand-hotel-flora/ ) ....it does say "Redesigned Marriott" at the top, so not sure if that means it recently went through a refresh or something similar. I like your book both approach. Appears you can cancel the Grand Flora 3 days out, and at 5 days out, you should know if you were lucky enough to land a suite at the Palazzo. When you make your suite night upgrade request, you can be very specific as to which upgraded room types you would accept, so just select the ones that would swing your vote back to Palazzo Naiadi. If it comes through, great. If not, then you have a decision to make.

Last edited:

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a Palazzo Naiadi fan myself, but that said, have never stayed at the Grand Flora. On the Grand Flora website (https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/romdt-rome-marriott-grand-hotel-flora/ ) ....it does say "Redesigned Marriott" at the top, so not sure if that means it recently went through a refresh or something similar. I like your book both approach. Appears you can cancel the Grand Flora 3 days out, and at 5 days out, you should know if you were lucky enough to land a suite at the Palazzo. When you make your suite night upgrade request, you can be very specific as to which upgraded room type you would accept, so just select the ones that would swing your vote back to Palazzo Naiadi. If it comes through, great. If not, then you have a decision to make.

Thank you!
I’ve never used the suite nights so I didn’t know I could select.
Is there a lounge or breakfast included at Palazzo?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Thank you!
I’ve never used the suite nights so I didn’t know I could select.
Is there a lounge or breakfast included at Palazzo?
Yes, free breakfast for Platinum and higher....and it was a very nice breakfast.

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
How long ago?
Do you know what level for free breakfast? We are platinum elite.
Is there a lounge?
Thanks.

This was almost 4 years ago. You need to be Platinum Elite to have lounge access (or free breakfasts if no lounge or the lounge is closed). I don't remember there being a lounge.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We leave for Rome on Friday, just got notification this morning that we get the suite night upgrade. It’s states: Duplex junior suite, bi-level loft, 1 king, square view. It’s not the best suite in the house, but it looks nice and we used points to book so we are happy. I will report back here when I return.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
We leave for Rome on Friday, just got notification this morning that we get the suite night upgrade. It’s states: Duplex junior suite, bi-level loft, 1 king, square view. It’s not the best suite in the house, but it looks nice and we used points to book so we are happy. I will report back here when I return.

Congrats. Please do and have a great trip.

mj2vacation

Reaction score
Not stayed at the Meridien but have stayed twice at the Grande Flora, once in a junior suite which was OK but the other time we were upgraded to the Presidential Suite which was fantastic. I like their breakfast buffet and the rooftop terrace has some great views. It's a great location next to Villa Borghese and a ten minute downhill walk to the Trevi Fountain.
The Grand Flora is fantastic. We really enjoyed our time there.

We left Rome and went to Venice to stay at the JW Marriott, which is now my favorite hotel anywhere.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score

Wow that’s great- this is at the Palazzo right?
That is one of the choices that appears as a suite night option.
Please come back and let us (me) know how it went.
I’m interested in knowing how well a rollaway bed would fit and where.

Any other tips on old/restaurants, travel/transportation, sightseeing/tours will be great full appreciated.
Have a wonderful trip!

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Any other tips on old/restaurants, travel/transportation, sightseeing/tours will be great full appreciated.
Have a wonderful trip!
We used Walks of Italy for a few tours while there.... https://www.walksofitaly.com/rome-tours/

They have since branched out all over Europe and a few cities in USA as well. We have used them in various other cities like NYC and San Francisco in addition to our tours in Rome. They go by www.takewalks.com in other cities. They are a very well run tour company.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We used Walks of Italy for a few tours while there.... https://www.walksofitaly.com/rome-tours/

They have since branched out all over Europe and a few cities in USA as well. We have used them in various other cities like NYC and San Francisco in addition to our tours in Rome. They go by www.takewalks.com in other cities. They are a very well run tour company.

I can second the recommendation for Walks of Italy. Last fall we did a tour with their affiliate in Barcelona and two tours with them in Rome - the Colosseum/Roman Forum on one tour and the Vatican on the other. In Rome, one tour was led by a professor of art history and the other by a expat American archeology professor (a PhD I think) living in Rome. Both tours were very in-depth and the guides were amazing.