• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2018] Frenchman’s Reef Re-Opening in 2020 but might not be Marriott?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
https://www.caribjournal.com/2018/1...il&utm_term=0_ea4e1e4090-8e2bbe2e87-189668261

The Frenchman’s Reef & Morning Star Beach Resort in St Thomas, which was badly damaged during last year’s hurricanes, will reopen.

The 502-room property, the largest hotel in St Thomas, is likely to open in 2020, according to DiamondRock Hospitality, the REIT that has owned the property since 2005.

DiamondRock vice president Bill Tennis confirmed the hotel would reopen in the first quarter of 2020, a reopening that will include new hurricane proofing, an expansion of the pools and public spaces and an upgrade of the Morning Star portion of the property to a “premium” resort.

“When completed this will be a very significant investment by DiamondRock in the Territory,” Tennis said.

The property had been operating under the Marriott brand; it’s not clear if the brand will return when the hotel reopens.

The property had been a fulcrum of St Thomas’ tourism industry, with around 270,000 guests per year and an economic contribution of $100 million each year.

Its importance to our economy cannot be overemphasized,” said US Virgin Islands Governor Kenneth Mapp. “Accordingly, my Administration has worked with the owners of Frenchman’s Reef to craft a public-private partnership that will allow the resort to rebuild, renovate, and return to operations better than before.”

That will include legislation giving resorts, including the Frenchman’s Reef, the ability to impose an Economic Recovery Fee on their own facilities to raise money to rebuild or expand.

Mapp has sent a bill to the USVI Senate for legislation that would let hotels raise their overnight occupancy taxes up to 20 percent, with anything above the mandated 12.5 percent returned to the property to fund and recoup building costs.

Mapp also said the Frenchman’s Reef would be equipped to serve as a shelter in the event of future weather events.

“Large hotels like Frenchman’s Reef are excellent candidates for emergency shelters, because they have robust backup power generation, wastewater treatment, and other services that are critical in protecting people during storms,” Mapp said.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
It seems possible it may not return as a Marriott property. Time will tell...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest reason privately owned hotels want to affiliate with major chains like Marriott, Hilton, ILG is access to the reservation system. To me it's highly unlikely that Diamondrock will affiliate with another chain as only 3 of their properties are tied to Hilton, 19 to Marriott and the rest independent. Clearly they have a preference and I don't think that's going to change.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe not a Marriott but another brand in the Starwood/Marriott family? If they are thinking upscale, I'm thinking it may come back as a Westin?

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
Westin is a good choice, nice match up to the Westin st. John...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
If it comes back as Westin, then it is coming back as a Marriott in sheep’s clothing.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Wasn't it rumored at one point that it would return as a JW Marriott property?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It would suck to lose the Marriott connection so i'm hoping it stays. I bought a 3BDRM FC gold with one strong positive being the Reef being re-built as a Marriott so the FC would lose a little of its luster if that were to happen and FC guests lost use rights.

caribbeanqueen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club
I was thinking the exact same thing. I hate to lose another timeshare in the Caribbean, we need more.
Changing over points for reward points isn't worth it!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was thinking the exact same thing. I hate to lose another timeshare in the Caribbean, we need more.
Changing over points for reward points isn't worth it!

I am not sure this will affect the timeshare side. It has not seemed to affect timeshares anywhere else when hotels change brands.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I am not sure this will affect the timeshare side. It has not seemed to affect timeshares anywhere else when hotels change brands.
Worst case is that the timeshare guests may lose certain privileges at the hotel property. Though the timeshare owners at those shared properties are paying for that privilege in their MFs anyway. It isn't free usage of the pools and facilities. Even if another brand, the hotel can probably rely on some food and beverage traffic from the Cove.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our experience at other resorts where the hotel has been rebranded to a non Marriott is that not only can you lose some privileges but also it can result in higher MFs.
At Club Son Antem in Majorca the hotel has been rebranded several times since Marriott lost the management agreement and for example the new management company did not want to pay for the same level of security for the shared resort, but MVC wanted/needed to maintain it so had to pick up a larger cost, similarly with other shared services.
This was then reflected in MF increases, so I definitely see it as a negative.

Last edited:

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it isn’t a Marriott it will take away a great deal of the draw to Frenchman’s Cove. While nice, the ability to use Frenchman’s Reef facilities (pool, beach) and dining made what is otherwise a very small resort worthwhile traveling to for more than a couple of nights.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it isn’t a Marriott it will take away a great deal of the draw to Frenchman’s Cove. While nice, the ability to use Frenchman’s Reef facilities (pool, beach) and dining made what is otherwise a very small resort worthwhile traveling to for more than a couple of nights.
It is quite possible though that the hotel may retain Marriott branding, but just be operated in future by the other company under franchise as they do at some other locations.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It is quite possible though that the hotel may retain Marriott branding, but just be operated in future by the other company under franchise as they do at some other locations.
Correct, just because there is a different operator it doesn't mean they won't use the Marriott brand under license.

A DiamondRock spokesperson said a decision on the hotel's branding has not been finalized.

Wally3433

Reaction score
I am skeptical of any renovation plans for this property. Prior to the hurricane damage, the resort was no where near Marriott standards. I was thinking to myself at the time we visited that it was a teardown project, not a renovation. Now it's been sitting there decaying in the tropical weather for years. Not ideal. Marriott might be in the same boat - waiting to see what the resort looks like before getting back into managing the project. It's obvious there is a lack of trust somewhere in this equation.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

I suspect the only thing we would lose is the use of the pools. The beach is public and dining is always open to all. Charging to your villa may be a different story.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Aren't these two hotels? Frenchman's Reef and also Morningstar? The article seems to indicate the Morningstar will be upgraded to the premium hotel.

Do we have any examples where a hotel is a Marriott and an adjacent property is a luxury brand?

Interesting -- will be curious to follow the evolution. I also prefer timeshare properties where an adjacent hotel amenities are available for use.

Best,

Greg

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I think we knew that already. They key is, what brand will be on the hotel. It can be operated by another hotel operator (many Marriott properties are), but still be under a Marriott brand. It seems the brand is yet to be decided.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think we knew that already. They key is, what brand will be on the hotel. It can be operated by another hotel operator (many Marriott properties are), but still be under a Marriott brand. It seems the brand is yet to be decided.
True, we only know now that it will not be a company-operated hotel, it may well still be a franchised Marriott branded property.
It would have been more reassuring though if this had been what was announced rather than just the new Management company with uncertain hotel branding.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
True, we only know now that it will not be a company-operated hotel, it may well still be a franchised Marriott branded property.
It would have been more reassuring though if this had been what was announced rather than just the new Management company with uncertain hotel branding.
You never know what could happen here. Really not a huge loss if we can't use pool and get points in the grand scheme of things. Overall it will just be nice to have a quality establishment to eat at and use the beach if that is the worst case.

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looks like it will be a Westin along with Morningstar becoming Seaborn as an Autograph Collection Hotel.