• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What Keeps YOU alive?

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Another post here, and a talk with 3 other women (+/- 70 ) in the pool today got me to wondering.

How many of us are dependent upon 'something ' to stay alive?

The discussion was about our own end of life measures/wishes. I mentioned a book I read about "Have it your way" -- where the author mentions she would want to be "done" when unable to 'wipe her own rear-end'.

All the ladies agreed, but I wonder how that could be accomplished, unless it was a matter of stopping medications.

(And, no, I don't want this to be about 'assisted' anything.)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
My Wife Patti. It is such a joy to spend my days with her. Whether it is working in the yard together, sitting on the sofa reading, walking Felix. Just spending my days with her.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I don’t really think about stuff like that, I’m too busy living life. :)

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
What keeps me alive is knowing I haven't done nearly all the stuff I want to do. I am not even close to being done with living. I'm retiring at the end of the year, and then the fun really begins. My hope, honestly, is that when my time comes, it is quick, painless, and unexpected. I want it to be a "here one minute, gone the next" sort of thing.

Dave

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Flying, building a plane, grandkids, men and women friends, travel in the USA, travels to Europe, trips to the gym, skiing most of the winter in Colorado and dozens of other things especially the wonderful 50 years of marriage before my wife passed away have kept me happy the 22 years since I retired at 55 and will keep me happy until the end.

Cheers

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Upon reflecting on this more- in all seriousness, I think what keeps me alive is hope. The hope in "something" better. A better future. A hope for peace. A hope for joy. A constant striving. I have always been the type to look ahead and not behind. I feel the past can weigh a person down.

This does not mean I never think about the past, but I do not want to be stuck in it. This does not mean I do not enjoy the present at all.

But in order to get up everyday and keep going, I have to be searching and striving. I have to have goals.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Why wait for the weekend?

I have to keep it in check or I could see me going over the edge. Doesn't help my weight problem either......;)

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
My sure grit and determination to make it to retirement... My grandfather (dad's father) died 2 days after he retired, my pops lasted 5 years after retirement and I want to break that mold and live for 20 years after retirement...My strong faith, my kids and my grandchild all keep me motivated to go on and stay alive...

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
From my professional observations, the key to avoiding that time when we can't wipe ourselves, is staying active. I've run countless medicals on retirees in their early 60s that can barely get around the house and some that can't because they don't do anything with their days but sit around. Then there are people I see in their upper 70s and early 80s that drive, hunt, golf, and have barely slowed down at all. Just my observations.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Travel, TUG, Long walks with the dog, Laughing at silly stuff, [political rant deleted -- YOU KNOW BETTER], enjoying a cold beer or two, Wanting to read tomorrow's headlines. Yeah, but it gives me a reason to keep breathing.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Exercise, not working, marvel at the breathtaking views from our home each day, and occasionally travel to other beautiful places.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Literally, levothyroxine
Still enjoying life, want to see grandkids grow up, lots of good books to read, golf and bridge games to play, movies to see, parties to attend.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’m 55 with two boys 10 and 13 so I think my answer is obvious. How many 55 year olds can say they still play with hot wheels?

If you knew some of my friends... :)

I have a friend here, also in his 50s, who has discovered LEGO building sets. He has a wall of shelves in his home that display the little villages and buildings and whatever he’s constructed. He’s very much into it.

This is the same guy who spends his Saturday mornings curled up on his couch with a blanket, watching cartoons.

I don’t judge. :)

Dave

Reactions: RX8