• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Disney to debut gondola shuttle system in Orlando

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Disney to debut gondola shuttle system in Orlando
https://www.travelweekly.com/Travel...ey-to-debut-gondola-shuttle-system-in-Orlando

By Jamie Biesiada / Hotels / Travel Weekly / travelweekly.com / Jul 15, 2019

“Walt Disney World Resort's Skyliner, a gondola system connecting several of its theme parks and hotels in Orlando, will open Sept. 29.

The Skyliner will transport guests between the Hollywood Studios and Epcot parks, and four hotels: Art of Animation Resort, Caribbean Beach Resort, Pop Century Resort and the Riviera Resort, which is scheduled to open in December.

Some of the gondolas will feature graphics from Disney films, attractions and characters. The Skyliner joins Walt Disney World Resort's fleet of monorails, watercraft and busses that shuttle guests around the property.“

6B247473-41AB-4EC0-9530-E7F9C3D11EEA.jpeg

Photo credit: Travel Weekly

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Am I wrong, but wasn't there a gondola over the original Magic Kingdom in the early years?

Dang... I remember a fellow cabin rider (ok, a friend) whose chewing gum fell from their mouth and hit a walker under us on their head. The walker was VERY unhappy.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
yes. just a ride in the MK called the skyway.

incidents like you described (plus one employee death during maintenance) prompted them to shut it down...

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
The old Skyway cars were not enclosed, but completely open-air on the top half, with a small rain-roof and no seat belts. Not a good fit with today's litigious society, sorry to say. Riders sat in the direct sun during the hot afternoon. Worse, riders could drop things outside (or :eek: spit) on people below. Lines also got long for slow boarding/unloading - this, at a time when crowds were so much smaller than they are today.

Thank you for posting about this. Here's a video with more details about the new Skyliner, including the car interiors. It also shows some of the many Disney character wraps on the new Skyliner cars. Disney fans will love these!

YouTube: Disney Skyliner Gondolas unwrapped

Today's new system is far superior in several ways. It will also serve a better purpose than just a theme park ride. We are very much looking forward to trying it out in the late fall! :) Exciting news that it opens so soon!

Last edited:

mj2vacation

Reaction score
We live close by and have watched the construction and testing.

They move pretty quickly. It’s great that they are adding options for transportation.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I wonder if they are air-conditioned? It would be pretty miserable taking a gondola ride in July :eek:

No, they’re not air conditioned. They do have louvered windows on both sides and the end opposite the door as well as vents near the floor to provide air flow through the cabin, and the glass is coated to reflect heat. It’s expected to feel like sitting in the shade with a good breeze blowing. And the rides will be short, just a few minutes.

More details are available via the DISboards link I posted above.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Might consider trying it from Bonnet Creek by either walking or ubering to the gondola entrance location.

I saw a map of future plans and it showed one fly over Bonnet Creek to get to downtown disney and the water park.

Wondering if they have air rights over Bonnet Creek. If they did, I wish they would build a stop there.

mj2vacation

Reaction score
I wonder if they are air-conditioned? It would be pretty miserable taking a gondola ride in July :eek:
While Disney is not perfect, they do typically do quite a bit of research before spending tens of millions of dollars.

After 48 years of operating a theme park on Florida, I’m sure they know it’s hot and have some degree of confidence in their plan.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Might consider trying it from Bonnet Creek by either walking or ubering to the gondola entrance location.

I saw a map of future plans and it showed one fly over Bonnet Creek to get to downtown disney and the water park.

Wondering if they have air rights over Bonnet Creek. If they did, I wish they would build a stop there.
You could take one of the Minnie cars I saw last time we were there. What is the story with those?

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I wonder how long it takes to empty all the cars before a lightning storm. I know the boats between EPCOT and Hollywood Studios will stop running when lightning is approaching, and they can empty the boats about every 3 or 4 minutes. I'm certain they can't run the gondolas during a storm.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You could take one of the Minnie cars I saw last time we were there. What is the story with those?

The Minnie Vans are Disney's solution in place of rideshare/taxi for people who have large groups (the vans seat up to 6) or need car seats (each van has 2 car seats, and the driver is trained to install them properly) and don't want to use free WDW transportation (bus/monorail/boat). The vans are ordered through the Lyft app, and Lyft discounts can be applied, but Lyft doesn't operate the vans - they're owned by Disney and driven by Disney cast members. They're expensive, though - $15 plus $2.75/mile, so $30-50 from place to place on WDW property. However, they can pick up and drop off at the MK bus parking lot instead of TTC and at the Ft. Wilderness Outpost bus stop for Hoop De Doo Revue, so more convenient for some who again don't want to use regular Disney transportation.

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wonder how long it takes to empty all the cars before a lightning storm. I know the boats between EPCOT and Hollywood Studios will stop running when lightning is approaching, and they can empty the boats about every 3 or 4 minutes. I'm certain they can't run the gondolas during a storm.

The gondolas themselves are grounded and could run in lightning, and the same system Disney is installing (Doppelmayer) operates in high winds and thunderstorms/snow storms elsewhere in the world. That said, Disney hasn't announced anything, and the system won't be officially open until September 29, so right now we don't actually know under what conditions they'll shut down. Speculation is that they could clear the lines in just a few minutes, given how short the various segments are, so if a storm is approaching they'll have time to stop boarding and unload any occupied cars before the storm hits, if that's what they want to do.