• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Share Age 55+ Search for New Home

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
From other threads it seems a few of us are seeking or have found a new home in the 55+ age group.

Thought we could share our experiences here in one place. Maybe someone else looking will get additional insight about builders, areas, etc.

My quest is in the Charlotte, NC area, preferably south over the border in South Carolina. Taxes are lower in SC. My search is limited in area because my other half does not want to live in Florida or near the water. I want to be in a warmer climate in a low risk tornado area. We both love the outdoors and prefer trees and a tranquil feel with conveniences close by.

I have initiated to move. My other half would stay just where we are. He is 100% happy. I am not. We live in a beautiful community but the average age is young 30’s. I want a lifestyle change where I have amenities, clubs and activities in the community, a village of peers. My other half is more of a loner, could be happy himself, would stay where we are. When he is put in a social setting he is friendly and loves it. I believe he will ultimately be glad if we move.

Where many in my age group end up downsizing, it will be almost impossible for us. I can easily live in a smaller space but my other half needs a three car garage, a media room and a tree lined backyard. Only the largest homes in 55+ communities have these and then he says the home is too big, lol, but unwilling to give up anything he wants.

I want to move to a newer community that is now being built so the average age group is younger plus I want my final home to have the color scheme I prefer.

We looked at Del Web at Carolina Orchards, Pulte is the builder, in Fort Mill SC. Del Webb has always been my preference. There are still a nice amount of homesites that will become available but even the ones they consider very desirable, we don’t. Any home site would be a compromise. In addition, when the desirable home sites are released, there is a closed bid for a lot premium, starting bid $20,000. In the last section they went for $80,000 in addition to the price of the home.

We looked at The Village at Covington built by Essex Homes, smaller community 133 homes, in Indian Land SC. My favorite floor plan, just an outdoor pool and small club house with only a craft room, no activity director. Would have to wait to see if future homesite we would be interested in can hold the floor plan we want. Whereas the age group is right I am hesitant buying here because the amenities are lacking and there is no Activity Director.

Over in Lake Wylie , NC, the Regency at Palisades is beautiful looking built by Toll Brothers. It isn’t actually a 55+ , it is activity lifestyles driven community that has floor plans and amenities geared to 55+, no 3 car garages and premium on wooded homesite $100,000 in addition to home price. My other half liked the homes the best, not sure he realizes no 3 car garage, not what I am leaning towards.

One we can agree on that is very nice is Tree Tops in Lancaster County, SC built by Lennar it is my favorite at this point which surprised me. I didn’t appreciate it until I went back a second time. I actually got pissed the first time when within the first minute was told yes to basement, 3 car garage to be told later none are available or will be available. Only saw the models, never toured the amenities or drove the community. Found out at the second visit that I was working with a greeter and the sales person assigned to me never followed up.

The sales person I met my second visit was great, unfortunately her manager informed me I cannot use her, I must use the other person that was assigned to me. Absurd and unfair to me the consumer.

This community was gated, has a lake, walking and hiking paths, large outdoor theatre, outdoor pool, clubhouse with meeting room and large gym and 10 activity cabins. Downside for others could be to get to the gym you have to walk steps or walk down a long ramp, no elevator. Beautiful area and within a mile of great shopping, my preferred choice but have to wait and see if we can get one of the 6 homesites that will work when released. Desirable home site premiums here are between $20,000 to $30,000.

Of all the builders Lennar included the most but had hardly any options for upgrades. For example, master bathroom is tiled, floor and shower, choice of three similar tile colors and only one listello, no choice at all, can’t plumb for irrigation or gas line for bbq upfront, must do after closing, etc.

In order of most additional options offered, Toll Brothers, Pulte, Essex, Lennar.

Most included Lennar, Essex, tied Toll and Pulte.

So Tree Tops so far is on the top of my list with location and community both which are great. Will have to deal with the sales person Lennar makes me deal with and have limited choices. Althought not thrilled with them, the limited choices I can make work, the sale person, time will tell.

My other surprise is it will cost me more to buy in 55+ then what my house will sell for. You can do it for less but must get a much smaller home.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Great research. Good luck finding what works!

I researched a Del Webb community in Nevada that really struck a chord with me, and we were insistent on a three-car garage. The floor plan we wanted was only available as a resale, they don’t build it anymore. After we got home I did the deep math, and decided we didn’t really need the third car. I sold it. So now any two-car garage model there would work. It changes everything. Our search goes on...

Dave

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I moved into a CCRC almost immediately after I turned 65 and retired. But it wasn't a simple or spur of the moment decision . During the 5 years or so prior to retirement I probably visited 7 or 8 CCRCs in different parts of the country while I was traveling on business. That way when the day came I was comfortable pulling the trigger. Whether it is a CCRC or just a location my advice is check out your alternatives long before making a decision...

George

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
We searched all over the country, and had some unusual experiences.
Once we drove quite a way to look at a community. We went in and asked sales staff about the community. The salesman drove us way back into the community, showed us two models, drove us back and said goodbye abruptly in the parking lot. Never saw the amenities or received any information.
We made a bid on a home in a subdivision,got a counteroffer, and bid again. Then we played golf there. Two busloads of ten year olds got off the school buses while we were playing. Thankfully, our bid was rejected.
We liked one community and the salesperson said we have an opening for our community Christmas dinner tonight. However, the people at our table were not very nice. One lady tried to sell me her house and I said I wanted a certain model. She proceeded to berate me as the fussy type who is never satisfied and spent the evening making snide remarks to me.
Then there was the time we looked at a community and then played golf and stayed for dinner. We could not find our way out and kept going around in circles.
We met a saleswoman who was really aggravated because we were looking on a weekend. We were ten minutes late and she said the lock boxes will no longer open. She told us some flagrant lies, and also said she never heard of a community that had activities for the residents.
We spent about four years looking, and we are very happy with the community we found.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We searched all over the country, and had some unusual experiences.
Once we drove quite a way to look at a community. We went in and asked sales staff about the community. The salesman drove us way back into the community, showed us two models, drove us back and said goodbye abruptly in the parking lot. Never saw the amenities or received any information.
We made a bid on a home in a subdivision,got a counteroffer, and bid again. Then we played golf there. Two busloads of ten year olds got off the school buses while we were playing. Thankfully, our bid was rejected.
We liked one community and the salesperson said we have an opening for our community Christmas dinner tonight. However, the people at our table were not very nice. One lady tried to sell me her house and I said I wanted a certain model. She proceeded to berate me as the fussy type who is never satisfied and spent the evening making snide remarks to me.
Then there was the time we looked at a community and then played golf and stayed for dinner. We could not find our way out and kept going around in circles.
We met a saleswoman who was really aggravated because we were looking on a weekend. We were ten minutes late and she said the lock boxes will no longer open. She told us some flagrant lies, and also said she never heard of a community that had activities for the residents.
We spent about four years looking, and we are very happy with the community we found.
I hope it’s a friendly place?

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Good timing... I was in Hilton Head last month and learned that Margaritaville has retirement communities in three US cities... Hilton Head, SC, Daytona Beach, FL and near Panama City Beach, FL. We drove thru as much as we could (which wasn't much).

I've been meaning to ask here on TUG if anyone lives in one of the communities or knows anyone who does?

It's called Latitude, I believe... I'll double check and update post if it's something else.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tidewater is a Del Webb community in Estero, Florida. Only a few over 55 in our area.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@Panina

I saw this in your OP:

...I have initiated to move. My other half would stay just where we are. He is 100% happy. I am not. We live in a beautiful community but the average age is young 30’s. I want a lifestyle change where I have amenities, clubs and activities in the community, a village of peers. My other half is more of a loner, could be happy himself, would stay where we are. When he is put in a social setting he is friendly and loves it. I believe he will ultimately be glad if we move...

Are you -sure- about this?

Please understand I mean no disrespect here, as this is one of the feelings the wife and I are measuring at present. How to definitely know what will make us happy (to move or not, if we move - where to, etc) when a significant change (like a move) occurs?

Are you / would you be ready to move back (or elsewhere) if your spouse is not happy?

Again, please understand I am NOT saying I have the answers to these questions, rather your quandary sounds very familiar to what we are struggling with at present. And it is not a simple struggle....

The real irony here is we have moved twice before (my wife and I) while married because of job opportunities (the first time) and health issues with my wife's parents (the second time). Comparatively speaking, those moves were easy (decision wise) to this next one (if it ever occurs)......

We both are sure of one thing at present - if we do move from our current location, it will be the last move we make willingly. Perhaps that pressure alone is what is making this process much more difficult.....

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
She can always try renting during season. Lots of people buy before they are ready to retire, and rent out during high season.
One activity no one mentions is a group we have called the Volunteers. These are men that enjoy working , they do projects in our community. Some of the men do cement work, carpentry, others repair equipment owned by the volunteers, or do the accounting. This group of men have saved the community an enormous amount of money, and are like an elderly fraternity. The wives have formed a group that deadheads all the flower gardens on common grounds.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Panina

I saw this in your OP:

Are you -sure- about this?

Please understand I mean no disrespect here, as this is one of the feelings the wife and I are measuring at present. How to definitely know what will make us happy (to move or not, if we move - where to, etc) when a significant change (like a move) occurs?

Are you / would you be ready to move back (or elsewhere) if your spouse is not happy?

Again, please understand I am NOT saying I have the answers to these questions, rather your quandary sounds very familiar to what we are struggling with at present. And it is not a simple struggle....

The real irony here is we have moved twice before (my wife and I) while married because of job opportunities (the first time) and health issues with my wife's parents (the second time). Comparatively speaking, those moves were easy (decision wise) to this next one (if it ever occurs)......

We both are sure of one thing at present - if we do move from our current location, it will be the last move we make willingly. Perhaps that pressure alone is what is making this process much more difficult.....
I can’t be sure 100% about anything. I can only go by my experiences before. Where we live now he didn’t want to move to and now he loves it. He was renting an apartment and had 4 garages he rented there. We moved into 3 garages and for about 6 months I heard we need to move.

All I know is he is now very happy living here. I am unhappy. Something has to change for me. I cannot see myself being here for years to come. There needs to be compromise. Will he be happy if we move? My guess like last time initially no, in time yes.

I am gearing our search to all of his want list, 3 car garage, media room, wooded homesite, hiking trails and nature all around in the area he wants. His compromise has to be different community 55+. As long as I get to go to an active community, he can pick where and which floor plan.

Just spoke to the agent of where he likes ( but still prefers to stay here) and the agent doesn’t think homesites for the floor plan he wants will be released until October. There will only be 6. If 6 others that visited the sales office before us wants them, we are locked out. Another community be both liked, the last of the home sites are being released this month which means if we don’t get the other we missed out here.

I believe life takes us where we need to go. In time, I will find out where.

Last edited:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@Panina - well first and foremost, I hope everything with respect to your moves and related decisions turns out well for both of y'all. There is something about this move (this decision) that seems so different from previous moves and decisions (at least for us). It's hard to describe.

Something I missed in your earlier post was this:
... Desirable home site premiums here are between $20,000 to $30,000..

These days, that is a pretty good price for a developed lot - but is that what you meant when you said 'home site premiums'?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
@Panina - well first and foremost, I hope everything with respect to your moves and related decisions turns out well for both of y'all. There is something about this move (this decision) that seems so different from previous moves and decisions (at least for us). It's hard to describe.

These days, that is a pretty good price for a developed lot - but is that what you meant when you said 'home site premiums'?

From what I've seen recently, "home site premiums" are for the better lots in the development, over and above the selling price of a regular lot. So if the regular improved lot is $50K, a better positioned, or larger, or better view lot might sell for $70K or $80K, so would have a $20K or $30K "premium."

Dave

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Way back in 2003 we almost bought in the Villages. At that time there was an $18000 premium on the lot because two lots over boasted a tree in the yard. We could not choose anything in the house which was in early stage of construction. we were shown a plastic bag with a sample of the Vinyl flooring, vinyl siding, roof, and several items that were considered upgrades and added an additional fifty percent to the price of the house. We backed out.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I so understand how hard the decision is. It is the same with us. I dread moving, even thought I want to, but know it is best as it will be easier to do younger rather older.

Being I was in the business I also look at communities and real estate with an additional level of scrutiny, quality and will I get my money back if I have to sell.

I was so set on a Del Webb community but when I saw Treetops it was so different. My hubby liked Regency At Palisades but no 3 car garage. I liked the Del webb California Orchards.

It was clear to both of us the beauty of nature at Treetops was beautiful and the setup was unique in a good way. At our first visit it wasn’t first on either of our list, but after a second visit and seeing everthing it is the front runner. He actually told me a little while ago, lets go back and look again.

The homesite premium is in addition to the price of the package deal of the house. There are some home sites that have no home site premium. It is what the developer views as superior homesites and charges more. Usually these are more private or larger.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Way back in 2003 we almost bought in the Villages. At that time there was an $18000 premium on the lot because two lots over boasted a tree in the yard. We could not choose anything in the house which was in early stage of construction. we were shown a plastic bag with a sample of the Vinyl flooring, vinyl siding, roof, and several items that were considered upgrades and added an additional fifty percent to the price of the house. We backed out.
Usually home site premiums are for wooded or larger lots. Sometimes premiums are set on lots that have no additional worth but because of the premium people perceive worth. I am experiencing that right now.

Unfortunately some builders, not all, want to keep advertised price low and use homesite premiums to charge a higher price. Usually one homesite is available for 0, the most horrible one, no one wants.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We went from a 2-storey 4600 sq ft with a purpose built indoor pool to a single level 2800 sq ft condo with 3Bedrooms, 3.5 bathrooms and a large office/den and occasionally I feel that it is small. We know it is the right size for us.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sometimes downsizing when going to a new community doesn’t make sense.

The community I am looking at for a difference of $14,000, an extra room and all rooms larger, taxes will be about the same and with an energy efficient home utilities will be slightly more.

For resale, if we have to move, it is a better value plus meanwhile we have nice space. This house will be larger then I have now but in the 55+ I want. If I get the house $14,000 less, it is much smaller then I have now.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately some builders, not all, want to keep advertised price low and use homesite premiums to charge a higher price. Usually one homesite is available for 0, the most horrible one, no one wants.

This reminds me of when I got out of the Army in 1956, somehow ended up in Houston and needed a car. I saw a Plymouth advertised for (I think it was) $1,995). It was bare bones with a straight 6 cylinder engine, manual transmission, and had no A/C, no radio, etc. When I told the dealer I would take it as all I had was $2,000 he was upset because it was the only one he had and I guess he needed to have it on his lot so he could advertise the price...

Later when I had the money I added an under the console A/C and a radio. One thing I remember about that car was when you opened the hood and looked into the engine compartment you could see right past the engine and see the asphalt driveway...

George

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My first car was a 4 door Ford Fairlane with a 3 speed stick on the column, no A/C. no power anything.

My favorite memory ... being pullover for by a NJ State Trooper who told me to pop the hood. His V-8 engine had trouble catching me on the interstate highway. I got NO TICKET ... that dang engine was small.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Some of these houses are truly lovely, but I just will never understand the design decision behind having the garage door be the most dominating part of a house's facade. WHY? It just screams, "I don't want to be sociable with any of my neighbors!" I need front porches, sidewalks. These things encourage pedestrian access, walking, sociability (as has been proven in study after study about how the build environment affects our social environment.) *sigh* *steps off of soap box*

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some of these houses are truly lovely, but I just will never understand the design decision behind having the garage door be the most dominating part of a house's facade. WHY? It just screams, "I don't want to be sociable with any of my neighbors!" I need front porches, sidewalks. These things encourage pedestrian access, walking, sociability (as has been proven in study after study about how the build environment affects our social environment.) *sigh* *steps off of soap box*
Simply because it is more cost effective for them to build. I agree front porches and sidewalks are friendly meeting places. Communities with open spaces with dog parks, walking paths and gathering areas with seating are the best yet are getting harder to find.