• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Week 52 Westin Princeville

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I am closing in WPOVR week 52 EOY with a week reserved for this year. I bought it for $1995. It was sitting on Redweek. Did other people see it and pass? I thought it was a great deal since week 52 rents high enough to make it profitable to own in years I can’t use.

Anne&Jim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Villas North OF (annual)
Westin Kaanapali Villas North (annual)
Westin Kaanapali Villas North (bi-annual)
Westin Mission Hills (annual)
Cliff Club at Snowbird (annual)
The Ridge at Tahoe (annual)
I am closing in WPOVR week 52 EOY with a week reserved for this year. I bought it for $1995. It was sitting on Redweek. Did other people see it and pass? I thought it was a great deal since week 52 rents high enough to make it profitable to own in years I can’t use.

Sounds like a great deal to me! Congrats! I didn’t see it or I might have been tempted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I previously passed on even a lower priced EOY week 52 there. Maintenance fees are outrageous, and there is no guarantee it will rent above mfs during a winter storm season. Rental demand is simply not there.

pacman777

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s a great purchase for personal use if you intend to use it every year but don’t count on an easy rental even if it is week 52. Keep in mind that it’s Kauai and NOT Maui. If it was Maui then it would have been the deal of the century.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I previously passed on even a lower priced EOY week 52 there. Maintenance fees are outrageous, and there is no guarantee it will rent above mfs during a winter storm season. Rental demand is simply not there.

There are very few winter storms in Hawaii. It is pretty rare. It happens but rarely. It is safer from a hurricane perspective that Florida or the Caribbean. I think it will rent for 50% above MF, which is not bad at all if it a year I can’t use it. We might still go this year. It is probably more secure than Westin St John or Nassau, which rent at MF and always have storms. I am hoping Marriott will integrate Vistana and Hyatt so I bought two weeks I would like to use but could rent if I do not use them with the secret goal that I will be offered more DPs after I pay the enrollment fee. I could be wrong and then I can resell if I do not use it or can’t rent it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It’s a great purchase for personal use if you intend to use it every year but don’t count on an easy rental even if it is week 52. Keep in mind that it’s Kauai and NOT Maui. If it was Maui then it would have been the deal of the century.

If it were Maui, it would have been in the 5 figures! Kauai is my husband’s happy place. I bought this and Marriott (Poipu Beach) for him.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
For personal use, it's fantastic. For rental, not so much. When people look for Hawaii rental, most want accommodation on a swimmable beach, oceanfront or with ocean view, and sunny weather. WPORV is not on a beach, no designated views, and winter weather is mostly rainy. Therefore much less demand than WKORV etc.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
There are very few winter storms in Hawaii. It is pretty rare. It happens but rarely. It is safer from a hurricane perspective that Florida or the Caribbean. I think it will rent for 50% above MF, which is not bad at all if it a year I can’t use it. We might still go this year. It is probably more secure than Westin St John or Nassau, which rent at MF and always have storms. I am hoping Marriott will integrate Vistana and Hyatt so I bought two weeks I would like to use but could rent if I do not use them with the secret goal that I will be offered more DPs after I pay the enrollment fee. I could be wrong and then I can resell if I do not use it or can’t rent it.

Dec, Jan and Feb are the wettest months in Princeville historically, but you should still be able to rent for at least the maintenance fee. https://weatherspark.com/y/85/Average-Weather-in-Princeville-Hawaii-United-States-Year-Round

trexmdr

Reaction score
My problem with Hawaii is the cost of going. Having kids we are limited to the high flying season. Costs me about 800$/person and with a family of four I’ve spent almost 3500$ just getting there. So I’ve been renting my Maui unit every year with great success meaning well above maintenance fees with the help of a tug member for the past many years. PM me if you want her name.
My concern about Hawaii has always been the overdevelopment of timeshares and condos that are purchased as rentals. It great in a good economy but in a difficult economy which we may go into there may be a glut of rentals. Does anyone remover if the 2008 market crash affected rentals?
Love this site so thanks again to all the contributors and moderators.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai also sells out during the holidays. Holidays are peak season during the holidays for all of Hawaii. Can anyone who visits Princeville comment on travel patterns and seasonality?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Kauai also sells out during the holidays. Holidays are peak season during the holidays for all of Hawaii. Can anyone who visits Princeville comment on travel patterns and seasonality?
I think people have already provided their case as to why it isn't the best rental?

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll bite. I've been to Princeville many times -- growing up in Hawaii, a typical vacation away from Oahu meant going to a neighbor island.

I concur with other posters. Kauai is one of the wettest spots in the world (look up Mt. Waialeale though that is smack in the middle of the island) -- Princeville sits on the northern part of the island -- you are battling the fact that December is on average the rainiest month, and Princeville gets a ton of rain (on average over twice what Poipu does). The rain doesn't bother me, but I know people who won't go during December because you inevitably will end up with a decent amount of rain during your stay.

This plus mfs of over $3k. Can you rent for over that -- sure I think you can for week 52, but it's not an easy rental by a long shot and I don't think you will get much over $3k -- maybe $500/nt? Princeville has a ton of rental property -- both timeshares (though none as nice as the Westin IMHO -- Wyndham has a bunch of stuff up there), condos and single family homes. Look on VRBO, and you can see that you can get ocean front/view condo property for under $400/nt. with a lot of options. Not saying that this is necessarily better, but you can't guarantee any ocean views at the Westin since you will be competing with other owners (I am going to assume that this is not a fixed unit) on timestamp. Look at redweek and you already have two renters trying to rent that week -- they are at $5k and $6k, but I'd bet they'd take less if a buyer offered a lower price.

I think it is a great buy if you are going to use it. I just can't see you making much of a profit given the competition in the area. But all you need is 1 person to rent so maybe you will get lucky.

-ryan

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Is week 52 at Princeville invariably fixed, or does it float on request? If the latter, simply reserve and rent a good summer week during any years you don't want to spend New Years Eve there.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Owned Westin Princeville for 8 years until we realized we had only been 3 times and it was expensive MFs to use as a StarOption trade within VSN.

Our two main complaints (of which one could be changed by the HOA or management):
1) No direct beach access. This is a huge issue for me. Yes the view is beautiful but give me that beach!
2) The pool bar closes at 6:00 p.m. Not just pool service closes at 6:00 but the entire bar closes at 6:00. After that, the only place for food service while at the pool would be the Nanea restaurant and bar. Not convenient when you're in a wet swimsuit.

ragdoll

TUG Member
Reaction score
2) The pool bar closes at 6:00 p.m. Not just pool service closes at 6:00 but the entire bar closes at 6:00. After that, the only place for food service while at the pool would be the Nanea restaurant and bar. Not convenient when you're in a wet swimsuit.

I agree with this 100%. They are very stingy with the bar service. Even the bar inside the restaurant has seating only for 6 or 7 people. What a waste! We actually prefer to eat at a bar rather than a full meal. Much more convivial too.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I agree with this 100%. They are very stingy with the bar service. Even the bar inside the restaurant has seating only for 6 or 7 people. What a waste! We actually prefer to eat at a bar rather than a full meal. Much more convivial too.

The bar feels like it was an after-thought. "Oops! We forget to design a bar. We have a few feet to place it here in the entryway to the restaurant!"

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is week 52 at Princeville invariably fixed, or does it float on request? If the latter, simply reserve and rent a good summer week during any years you don't want to spend New Years Eve there.

Great idea! If it floats, it is ideal. I did not know it might float. This year, it is too late to float but in future years, I will float it to pair it with my MWBC