• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you gift timeshare stays for family/friends?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am available for adoption or friendship. I hate to see people with vacation condos they can't use when I can so easily help.
Even worse. I hate having to bribe people to be my friend. And somehow I manage to use the condos. Even if I just stock the fridge with beer, close the curtains and hang out on TUG. In the dark.

Jim

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
<<SNIPPED>> Do you ever gift timeshare stays for your family or friends?

Yes I have from time to time.

I gave one week as a wedding gift for a friend's honeymoon, many many years ago. They wanted to go to Nashville, but couldn't really afford it. They had a great time at the (then) Fairfield there.

More recently, I gifted a week to my sister and BIL, as a thank you. They had just "given us" their 77k point contract with Wyndham. We've used it every year for some pretty nice trips, including some for work. They will be going to a resort next year thanks to an exchange I was able to do for them using my TPU points with RCI and my other timeshare.

I have also just given our Hawaii timeshare use to family "just because" . . . but that has been rare.

sullwoldholiday

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge, Wyndham Club
I firmly believe in the gift of giving. My wife and I have been blessed over the years and we as others do provide our timeshares to friends and family. We currently have two couples using one condo at Marriott Kauai Lagoons and the other condo by our granddaughters. We understand that both are having a wonderful time. Earlier this month we provided our former neighbor a week in Kauai for the whole family of four. They just sent us a wonderful video and music of their trip. We will continue to provide time for those we see have a need or just because.

dickgregory

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili Villas 3 BR, Marriott Grande Vista 2 BR,
Veteran
We purchased a 3rd floor Executive Studio unit in Cabo San Lucas 24 years ago which reverts back to property in one more year. We haven’t been back to Cabo since buying and have given it annually to family, friends and charity auctions. Maintenance fees started at $200 per year with a 5% cap on increases so this was a very low cost way to share the gift of travel.

We always warned our guests not to buy timeshare there but at least three of them did. They all regretted it!

qwerty

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dave[/QUOTE]
I have a coworker who is a good, solid man. Hardworking, dedicated to his work. He's been under a great deal of stress at work, and can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. His wife and I are also good friends. She also works for the company, in a different area, and has had a string of serious health issues over the last several months, including a major surgery. She has been through some major life changes this year, her Mother passed away a few months ago, her adult daughter has had issues, and I know it's all put a lot of stress on their already stressful lives.

Today Alan told me they had both requested and received approval for a week's time off at the end of this coming month, so he and his wife can just unplug and decompress for awhile. I asked if they had plans to go out of town, and he said they didn't, because it all was happening as kind of a last minute thing. They couldn't afford to spend a lot on a trip right now.

I got on the WorldMark website, and started exploring nearby locations that might have availability. There are four resorts in the Pacific Northwest that are on Monday Madness this week. One of those happens to be the WorldMark in Victoria, BC. They've visited Victoria before, and have very nice things to say about it. I knew they might want to go back for a visit, especially in late August, which should be a great time of year. They could have a nice drive and a ferry ride (or two) to get there, and have a nice weekend away.

As incredible luck would have it, I found a Saturday and Sunday available at that resort for a weekend that dovetails with their time off. I paid for it in cash, (the beauty of Monday Madness), and I used my last Guest Certificate for the year, (but my anniversary with WorldMark is August, so I'll get a new allotment of GCs next week.) It was all set up in a matter of minutes.

I sent the email confirmation to them, and said it was my gift to them, for being such good friends and having survived so much this year. Alan protested, as I expected he would, but I told him it was already paid for, and that was that. He shook my hand and thanked me deeply. That was payment enough.

It was nice being able to do something for someone else, just because. Do you ever gift timeshare stays for your family or friends?

Dave

Yes, Dave.

More than once, I have gifted a stay to another.

Actually, more than what many of my circle of friends have vacationed.

It is nice being able to do something for someone else.

Most recently, just earlier this year in February.

An acquaintance that worked at our local supermarket.

A young woman with a young child working for just a little over the minimum.

Although able to gift the stay at Disney's Boardwalk, I was apprehensive about doing so.

I had to explain that she would have to pay for everything else, including theme park tickets.

Thankfully, she was able to have enough money for travel, dinning, etc.

Although transferred to another supermarket in the same chain before traveling, she sent an email expressing how wonderful it was to have stayed at Disney's Boardwalk.

She emailed several pictures, including a greeting with Mickey with her daughter.

I have gifted quite a few to my family and knowing how much it is appreciated is all the thanks I need.

deslagle

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have gifted timeshares and points for my family usage and for honeymoons. It usually has an additional fee. RCI called it a "Guest pass",
but no longer am I with RCI (scoundrels that rented for money the top shelf of
the timeshares and got caught). I currently am letting my daughter use my week for 2020 at La Harencia Tres Rios. This is a highly rated fractional timeshare.
I get 8 weeks per year but only have to use/pay for 1 every other year ( 1 is La Herencia and the 7 is any other of the Sunset Group...Rivieria Maya area..Sunset Royal. Sunset Marina. Ocean Spa Hotel. Laguna Suites. Riviera Maya. Hacienda Tres Ríos. Sunset Fishermen Sunset Royal. Sunset Marina. Ocean Spa Hotel. Laguna Suites. Riviera Maya. Hacienda Tres Ríos. Sunset Fishermen) . She will get the La Harencia with the dark wrist band to have the best reservations and a concierge.
She will pay for the all inclusive only. I go down there every other year but my spouse does not care for the economic inequalities and safety issues of Mexico.
But then she loves Tres Rios as it is a nature reserve and protected from trespass.

phyllispsu

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluetree Resort
I have a coworker who is a good, solid man. Hardworking, dedicated to his work. He's been under a great deal of stress at work, and can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. His wife and I are also good friends. She also works for the company, in a different area, and has had a string of serious health issues over the last several months, including a major surgery. She has been through some major life changes this year, her Mother passed away a few months ago, her adult daughter has had issues, and I know it's all put a lot of stress on their already stressful lives.

Today Alan told me they had both requested and received approval for a week's time off at the end of this coming month, so he and his wife can just unplug and decompress for awhile. I asked if they had plans to go out of town, and he said they didn't, because it all was happening as kind of a last minute thing. They couldn't afford to spend a lot on a trip right now.

I got on the WorldMark website, and started exploring nearby locations that might have availability. There are four resorts in the Pacific Northwest that are on Monday Madness this week. One of those happens to be the WorldMark in Victoria, BC. They've visited Victoria before, and have very nice things to say about it. I knew they might want to go back for a visit, especially in late August, which should be a great time of year. They could have a nice drive and a ferry ride (or two) to get there, and have a nice weekend away.

As incredible luck would have it, I found a Saturday and Sunday available at that resort for a weekend that dovetails with their time off. I paid for it in cash, (the beauty of Monday Madness), and I used my last Guest Certificate for the year, (but my anniversary with WorldMark is August, so I'll get a new allotment of GCs next week.) It was all set up in a matter of minutes.

I sent the email confirmation to them, and said it was my gift to them, for being such good friends and having survived so much this year. Alan protested, as I expected he would, but I told him it was already paid for, and that was that. He shook my hand and thanked me deeply. That was payment enough.

It was nice being able to do something for someone else, just because. Do you ever gift timeshare stays for your family or friends?

Dave

I have a few times . I purchased a bonus week to send my brother to Las Vegas for his birthday in September .I have gotten 2bedroom's in Orlando and Myrtle Beach and had family join us on vacation at no cost.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We own in a lot of systems (WM, Shell, VI, Vistana, HGVC and RCI Points resorts). Our only gifting rule is that no one gets to use our HGVC NYC time.

Sometimes gifts take some time to be used. We gave our two nieces wedding trips. The husband of one niece went to graduate school right after marrying and then had a hard time getting a job. They finally took their trip 4 years later to Hawaii. Her sister took long enough that she ended up doing a divorce snowboard trip with her girlfriends.

Gave a brother a wedding gift of a week honeymoon in WM Canadian Resorts (Banff, Vancouver and Victoria). They live near Seattle. He had hurt his foot and didn't feel up to driving. They only used the Victoria penthouse part. Too late to cancel but a gift is a gift so what can you do.

traveller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have gifted weeks out as wedding gifts, thank you's or just letting our married kids "get away" for a few days. That is one beauty of WM that I appreciate!!

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've let my son and his family use my fixed week 33 at Edisto Beach every year for the last five because our interests have changed and they love it. Sometimes his wife's father joins them to take advantage of the free golf. I expect to continue to let them use it until the contract expires in 2026.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
The only one we've given was a Manhattan Club week to our daughter and son-in-law. We've taken another couple, and family members, to other weeks elsewhere.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
I gave my daughter an "IOU" for a timeshare week when she graduated University this year. I knew she would want to do a vacation once she had found a job and was able to get some time off. She said it was the best gift ever, as she loves to travel but knows travelling (on her own dime) was going to be difficult. They really get spoiled growing up with the kinds of resorts and comfort our timeshare vacations have given us all!:) I hope II cooperates and has some good destinations available when she wants to go. At least she knows from living with me that those weeks have value and she needs to plan ahead to get the best exchanges. I think people who don't have timeshares think they are almost 'free', and have no idea about those maintenance fees!

Most of the time though, I like to enjoy being able to host a bigger family trip (in-laws and siblings with their families). Next year we have booked 3 Westin units in Maui so everyone can spread out and have their own bedrooms. My in-laws have done so much for us (especially when our kids were little), it is really my pleasure to be able to do something nice for them.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Son & daughter ages 33 & 29 (gifted separately) > multiple weeks at Grande Ocean, multiple weeks at Grande Vista, Maui Ocean Club,
Aruba Ocean Club, Custom House/Boston, Church Street Inn/Charleston SC,
plus multiple paid resort hotel stays at Omni Grove Park Inn/Asheville NC (our favorite resort, period).

Brother > Manor Club (original), Grande Ocean, Grande Vista.

My personal chairside assistant (employed 22 years in my dental practice)
> annual June summer vacation weeks at Sheraton Broadway Plantation for 12 years,
plus annual Spring Break weeks for the past 10 years (Grande Vista x6, Oceanwatch/Myrtle Beach x1,
Waterside Hilton Head x2, Grand Chateau/Las Vegas x1).

Office manager (employed 26 years) > annual Waterside (3BR/3bath villa) at Hilton Head July weeks x8,
Grande Ocean x2. They are at Waterside now.

Neighborhood friend---(friendly compensation for lots of jobs at my house, yard, etc ---pressure washing twice annually,
rebuilt wooden fence around house/yard, always helps to
move furniture using his trucks and staff, completely moved daughter into new home using trucks and staff,
multiple professional cleanings of Persian rugs, helps with my stuff in storage facility, etc, etc.)
.......Gifted to him & family > total free dental care, plus 3 vacation weeks annually (April Spring Break week, June week, & late July week) >
> Surfwatch x1, Barony x2, Grande Ocean x1, Grande Vista x5, Lakeshore Reserve x5, Waterside Hilton Head x2.
He has 3 children 9, 11, 13, and cannot afford nice family vacations. They are at Grande Vista right now.

A patient > Aruba Ocean Club........just because.

A friend (addendum-almost forgot this one) > Grand Chateau/LasVegas.....just because.

And last but not least---to my WIFE > two random weeks annually for GIRL TRIPS.
She includes those among her 10-12 dear friends, whoever can make it those weeks
aside from their schedules, and they go to Grande Ocean and always have a blast.

I only tell all of these things because we have been very blessed, and I have a unique opportunity to add joy to others' lives,
and nothing gives me greater pleasure.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Personal office chairside assistant (employed 22 years in my dental practice)

Office manager (employed 26 years)

Neighborhood friend---(friendly compensation for lots of jobs at my house, yard, etc, etc.)

A patient ....just because.

How neat is that, giving timeshare stays to your employees and such? Awesome gifts! And obviously the term of employment for the two employees shows you must be a great employer. Good for you!

Dave

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
So DaveNW were you surprised how generous Tuggers are on a regular basis?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So DaveNW were you surprised how generous Tuggers are on a regular basis?

Not so much for those who own multiple locations, or who have a zillion points. If I only owned one or two Weeks, I don't see that I could gift something to anyone very often. When my niece got married about ten years ago, we gave her a week at our (then owned) t/s in Kona as their wedding gift. They had a great time, and still talk about it. But truth be told, the week we gave them was an unplanned "extra" week that fell in with the purchase. We had it available, the timing was right, and we were able to gift it to them. A year later and we wouldn't have been able to do that. In this recent situation with WorldMark, I'm out of credits till my anniversary date, and it was the Monday Madness cash option that allowed me to help my coworker.

Tuggers tend to be a generous bunch, and it's nice reading what people are doing for others. I'm a pay-it-forward kind of guy, and I like the inspiration of doing nice things for people when they don't expect it. It's one thing to give when it's my idea, and something else when people stand there, expecting a handout.

A coworker sells frozen cookie dough every year as a fundraiser for her kids' sports activities at their grade school. I've never even met her kids, but I always buy several containers of it, which helps the kids. Then I turn around and donate the still-frozen product to a local homeless shelter, so the kitchen staff can bake up the cookies, and offer a treat to the residents. I can't fix the lives of those unfortunates who need the services, but at least I can bring them a small amount of pleasure. I don't make a big deal about it, and I don't accept the "donation card" that lets me deduct things off my taxes.

I've had tremendous good fortune in my life (a lot of it from working very hard for a long time), and I like the idea of helping others when I can. Sometimes even a small thing can make a big impact on the recipient. :)

Dave

Last edited:

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
I have been giving away trips for our catholic school / church auctions for years. Sometimes they do well money wise and sometimes not so well.

The last 7 years I have added an extra annual raffle fund raiser
2 bedroom vacation or $1000 give away winners choice. Worked it to be the easiest fund raiser I ever was involved with clearing at least $4500 each year For our Small 100 person school and 300 family church.
Thinking about marketing this fund raiser

Also planning on helping our kids now that they are grown up. Sent my oldest to Scottsdale for a honeymoon and just booked a 2 bedroom lockout @ Lake Geneva , his inlaws get to enjoy that trip with them. Hopefully we will get to travel on some trips as well.
Now if I can get them to plan ahead

Dave