• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

I Got the Job and We’re Moving to Oahu

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very tempting! Someday we might end up in Maui County somewhere.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Your comment on the "longer ride to Kaunakakai brought to my mind some thoughts. When the subject of long drives comes up in conversations my husband tells about leaving work on Long Island on a Friday night when he was in his early 20's and driving up to Oneonta College 5 hours away for the weekend. He also talks about buying land around the same timeframe in Arizona 50 miles from Tucson and thinking that it wasn't in the middle of nowhere it was only a 45 minute ride into the city which was nothing. A few years later when we were together he would start an 8 hour drive home from Montreal or Virginia to Long Island after 4 PM and think nothing of it. I am sure everyone has done some of these things and have also driven to Florida or Coast to Coast in the United States in a few days.

However, we are going to be 70 years old this year and we would no longer do any of these things. When we were young there was a song by the music group the Birds "Turn Turn Turn" which talks about the seasons of life. When we were young it was a season to do that longer driving, we are not in a season to do that any longer or at least not do it at night. That is one of the reasons we have chosen to make the Wailana in Waikiki our Hawaii home since we are starting to think about being able to live without needing to drive at all any longer. It is our season to walk or take public transportation.

Yes, that is a great observation. Growing up in Chicago, I never liked driving and I enjoyed living in a small town with its low traffic. So I way on the end of not driving a lot. Where others think nothing of a long commute or a long drive to vacation.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Where others think nothing of a long commute or a long drive to vacation.

When I was stationed with the Navy in San Diego, I’d drive home to Bellingham, Washington, for vacation a couple of times a year. Bellingham is as close to the Canadian border as San Diego is to the Mexican border. Over 1200 miles, and took over 24 hours if I stopped to sleep somewhere. It was nuts. Not anymore. I enjoy driving, but there’s a limit to my enjoyment these days. :)

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Started packing tonight and got most of it done. Two checked bags and a carry on. Can’t believe I still have a little room. My wife is doing the same when she comes next month, two checked and a carry on. I don’t know if she’ll have room though.

My office is cleaned out and I said most of my goodbyes today. Tomorrow I will be in and out and I’m only there until noon on Friday.

This will be the longest period my wife and I will be apart. In 35 years the longest we have been apart has been a week. That was a few times for work and when I was looking for the condo last year. This will be a month so that will be strange. She’s really looking forward to getting her car on Molokai and then just relaxing.

We’re getting there. :)

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
This will be the longest period my wife and I will be apart. In 35 years the longest we have been apart has been a week. That was a few times for work and when I was looking for the condo last year. This will be a month so that will be strange. She’s really looking forward to getting her car on Molokai and then just relaxing.
It will be a sweet 'homecoming' when she joins you. By then you'll have staked out a nice dinner spot or two. Hopefully you'll have made a few friends in the new workplace and start to feel like you are 'fitting in.' In case I miss the right moment, Bon Voyage!

Jim

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Down to my last half day at work. My friend that used to watch my dog decorated my office with leis, Hibiscus and a platter of Macadamia it cookies. More people stopped in to say their goodbyes. I think I have done that to everyone now.

So I just have to pack my last minute stuff and drop off my rental car before my wife and son drop me off in Madison.

The realtor stopped by tonight and is still very confident that the house will sell and it sounds like we will do well with our online auction.

It will definitely hit me tomorrow when I have to say goodbye to my wife for a month.

taffy19

Reaction score
Down to my last half day at work. My friend that used to watch my dog decorated my office with leis, Hibiscus and a platter of Macadamia it cookies. More people stopped in to say their goodbyes. I think I have done that to everyone now.

So I just have to pack my last minute stuff and drop off my rental car before my wife and son drop me off in Madison.

The realtor stopped by tonight and is still very confident that the house will sell and it sounds like we will do well with our online auction.

It will definitely hit me tomorrow when I have to say goodbye to my wife for a month.
How nice of your dog sitter friend to decorate your office with leis, flowers and Hawaiian goodies to eat.

A month passes pretty fast when you are very busy. It may be harder for wife. All the best.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff, don't forget to amend your TUG profile to indicate that 'home' is Hawaii, not Reedsburg! Happy travels, and wishing you much success! New adventures are always full of apprehension and foreboding, but you've laid the groundwork and are well prepared. I wish you all the best and ALOHA!

Jim (a little green with envy)

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Safe travels and Aloha!

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hey Jeff, don't forget to amend your TUG profile to indicate that 'home' is Hawaii, not Reedsburg! Happy travels, and wishing you much success! New adventures are always full of apprehension and foreboding, but you've laid the groundwork and are well prepared. I wish you all the best and ALOHA!

Jim (a little green with envy)

Thank You Jim!!

As soon as I get there things will move along and I’ll be moving forward. They last few days here were filled with thinking about memories.

I’m glad you reminded me about changing the Home! I probably wouldn’t have caught that for months. I’ll change it on Saturday when I’m on my way. :)

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Jeff, you know I'm right there with you, lending encouragement every step of the way. As someone who spent many years being away from family and friends for months at a time, I can tell you a month away will be a challenge, but it's very do-able. Your wife will be hanging on your every word, so stay in close touch with her. Your reunion with her will be sweeter than ever, since you know you won't have to be separated like that again. Safe travels, and good luck house hunting! (Did you call HGTV and get scheduled to be on that show? ;))

When do you start work on Oahu?

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Jeff, you know I'm right there with you, lending encouragement every step of the way. As someone who spent many years being away from family and friends for months at a time, I can tell you a month away will be a challenge, but it's very do-able. Your wife will be hanging on your every word, so stay in close touch with her. Your reunion with her will be sweeter than ever, since you know you won't have to be separated like that again. Safe travels, and good luck house hunting! (Did you call HGTV and get scheduled to be on that show? ;))

When do you start work on Oahu?

Dave

Thanks Dave! I know when I get there I will be busy and the time will go by fast.

HGTV called but I turned them down, I’ll stick with TUG. :)

I did book my car rental today. I decided to pick it up on Sunday close to my hotel. That will give me Saturday evening and Monday morning to relax a little.

I’ll drive by the apartment building that I am looking at on Monday and the warehouse where I’ll work on Sunday. Traffic should be slower that day too.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks Dave! I know when I get there I will be busy and the time will go by fast.

HGTV called but I turned them down, I’ll stick with TUG. :)

I did book my car rental today. I decided to pick it up on Sunday close to my hotel. That will give me Saturday evening and Monday morning to relax a little.

I’ll drive by the apartment building that I am looking at on Monday and the warehouse where I’ll work on Sunday. Traffic should be slower that day too.

Common sense thing about the apartment you have in mind: Drive by it in the evening, around dinner time. That will give you a good idea how crowded the neighborhood is, how noisy it is, and such. If you only go by in the daytime when everyone's at work, it'll give you a false sense of things. (I made that mistake in San Diego once. I rented an apartment right under the flight path for the airport, and didn't hear any planes until after I'd signed the lease. Yowza! That was a noisy place!)

Time for you will pass much faster than time for your wife. So be sure to contact her every day, even if there isn't anything to talk about. She'll just want to hear your voice, and hear how you're doing.

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Common sense thing about the apartment you have in mind: Drive by it in the evening, around dinner time. That will give you a good idea how crowded the neighborhood is, how noisy it is, and such. If you only go by in the daytime when everyone's at work, it'll give you a false sense of things. (I made that mistake in San Diego once. I rented an apartment right under the flight path for the airport, and didn't hear any planes until after I'd signed the lease. Yowza! That was a noisy place!)

Time for you will pass much faster than time for your wife. So be sure to contact her every day, even if there isn't anything to talk about. She'll just want to hear your voice, and hear how you're doing.

Dave

You are right about the time for my wife. I know it will be worse for her. The first week will be easy contacting her while I’m not working and looking for apartments. When I start working the time difference will make it tough. I may move to call her while I’m at lunch.

Because of the online auction, my wife has to be out of the house on 08-01-19 so she is moving in with her twin sister.
They always kid about being womb mates. :) But they are sisters and get on each other’s nerves so that will be tough for her too.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
You are right about the time for my wife. I know it will be worse for her. The first week will be easy contacting her while I’m not working and looking for apartments. When I start working the time difference will make it tough. I may move to call her while I’m at lunch.

Because of the online auction, my wife has to be out of the house on 08-01-19 so she is moving in with her twin sister.
They always kid about being womb mates. :) But they are sisters and get on each other’s nerves so that will be tough for her too.

If you called her first thing in the morning, before work, it'd be lunchtime in Wisconsin.

Having a twin sister sounds interesting, but I can't imagine living with anybody who's remotely like me. As Tallulah Bankhead once said, "Nobody can be exactly like me. Even I have trouble doing it." :D

That auction thing sounds really interesting. I hope it works to your advantage.

Dave

TheHolleys87

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
Continuing best wishes for the transition, Jeff! DH and I lived apart for a year and a half due to a job change, but we were only a 5-hour drive apart, so we were able to get together on weekends and holidays. Here's hoping the month will fly by for both of you! And good luck on the apartment search!

Carolyn

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Stayed at work until 11am. I would have been done a little sooner but I have to take my laptop with me and it died so my IT guy had to build a new one for me.

My one Bag is going to be over 50 pounds but I’ll just pay the extra.

My wife and son took me out to eat at Rocky Rococo Pizza In Madison one more time. Then they dropped me off at the hotel and I’ll shuttle to the airport tomorrow morning. It will be a long day.

I have a few hours to relax on the Big Island before I head to Oahu and I should be there around 4pm Hawaii time.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and son took me out to eat at Rocky Rococo Pizza In Madison one more time. Then they dropped me off at the hotel and I’ll shuttle to the airport tomorrow morning. It will be a long day.
Safe travels, Amigo! And Alo-HA! The adventure continues. . . . .

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Safe travels, slip.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
ALOOOOOOOOO HA

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Boarding now for Denver. A first class seat opened up so I grabbed it. This flight is full otherwise. I’ll be tired when I get there, I’m it used to getting up at 4am. :)

Reactions: LJT

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, Jeff. Time for another new thread about starting fresh in Hawaii. :)

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned