• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Visitors forced to leave Venice after breaking new tourist rules

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Venice is overrun with tourists. These steps are necessary. Two visits are enough for us. IMHO...Many more interesting places on the bucket list to see!

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Good for the authorities.

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that the rules are sorely needed. Still, €950 and expulsion for making a cup of coffee seems a bit steep. Perhaps a smaller fine and a warning for a first offense that seems kinda minor?

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good for Venice. Laws must be enforced.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I wonder what it takes to be deemed to have set up a picnic in a public place? That's one of Rick Steve's favorite tips. Buy bread, cheese etc and enjoy your repast in the open air.

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Good for the Venetian Authorities.

Glad I went to Venice a few times back in the day before the hoards descended.

Cheers

Krteczech

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Towers at Mullet Bay, SXM
Silverado II, CO
Using portable stove to make a coffee which one can get for around one Euro in many places looks more like a provocative gesture to me. We were in Venice last year in the end of September and had fabulous time.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Setting up a mini kitchen in public by the bridge is uncouth.
They should get a room, or support a local cafe.

AJCts411

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset x 2
Kind of like a "minimum spend tax". Seems that these on a budget travelers, just spent a whole lot more that a lot of the traveling public would spend in a day to support the locals.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
Setting up a mini kitchen in public by the bridge is uncouth.
They should get a room, or support a local cafe.

Absolutely! A couple in their 30's, travelling to Venice (and who knows where else) but are too tight to buy a coffee and support the local economy. I might have a bit more sympathy if they were in their teens but 30's?

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I backpacked around Europe for three months in the early 70s after university, including visiting Venice. I was necessarily being careful with my spending.

Things were much less busy then, but there is no way I would have even considered setting up some type of burner to make coffee in the middle of a street, let alone on the Rialto Bridge. They obviously left their brains at home.

One phrase that comes to mind for their actions is excessively cheap, but uncouth certainly summarizes it better. Good on the authorities for making an object lesson out of them.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Water will decide the fate of Venice,not politicians.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
Water will decide the fate of Venice,not politicians.

Unfortunately, I think you are absolutely right.

The regular flooding, much worse now than in the past, and the waves of the large cruise ships, are contributing to the increasing destruction of the Venetian buildings and infrastructure. And of course the massive increase in the numbers of tourists travelling through the streets and canals has not helped either.

I have visited Venice three times over about 35 years. I was shocked on the last visit how much the deterioration had accelerated. And some of the worst flooding has occurred since then.