• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Little Girl that Died on Cruise Ship

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Maybe pictures will help, its a sliding window used for ventilation, unfortunately there is a hand rail right there.

Oh, those pictures are just so incredibly sad.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Maybe pictures will help, its a sliding window used for ventilation, unfortunately there is a hand rail right there.

bed14075a8f53ba134bea43c21338f06.jpg

b00fcefc7f05aa6372f3fd13f3ca33b3.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
That’s crazy that the window opens and it’s at handrail level. That’s a liability. Those windows shouldn’t open.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This grandparent is a law enforcement officer. What happen to his common sense and his judgement skills?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
This grandparent is a law enforcement officer. What happen to his common sense and his judgement skills?
I thought it was the father? Is the grandfather one as well? Not that it should matter whether either, or both, or them are in law enforcement. A parent and/or grandparent needs to have common sense and judgement skills when dealing with children.

Last edited:

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I still don't get it, but the facts are so vague and conflicting right now. Law enforcement initially reported the grandfather said he dangled the baby. Family lawyer now saying he didn't. Some reports say this was a child care area, but the photos don't reflect this. Family lawyer says grandfather can't tell if a window is open or closed, but he just happened to put the baby on a rail next to the open window. Wouldn't he feel the blowing air, or perceive the difference between glass and air?

There are railings, balconys, and other areas all over the ship where there is no protection above railing level, and a baby could fall overboard if an adult picks them up and loses grip after putting them on the railing.

My opinion is the GF placed baby up on the rail, and lost his grip.

Regardless, a tragic outcome.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I still don't get it, but the facts are so vague and conflicting right now. Law enforcement initially reported the grandfather said he dangled the baby. Family lawyer now saying he didn't. Some reports say this was a child care area, but the photos don't reflect this. Family lawyer says grandfather can't tell if a window is open or closed, but he just happened to put the baby on a rail next to the open window. Wouldn't he feel the blowing air, or perceive the difference between glass and air?

There are railings, balconys, and other areas all over the ship where there is no protection above railing level, and a baby could fall overboard if an adult picks them up and loses grip after putting them on the railing.

The article I posted says that translation problems were the reason for the initial report.

Also it has always been reported that the area is adjacent to the waterpark.

I would also point out that this area is enclosed and only a small part is open.

The pictures to me show a window that should not open(or at minimum have some kind of guard) and a railing that should not have a toddler placed on it for any reason.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Bottom line a precious life was lost. Being this has been brought to the publics attention hopefully nothing like this will happen again.

The cruise lines will need to take addition precautions for safety. Unfortunately no matter how many precautions are taken a ship cannot be totally safe for children, even adults. It is up to the guardians of children to check and not assume an area is safe.

My heart goes out to the family. To live with the thought only if I didn’t..... I can understand the lawsuit. I can’t imagine mentally to be able to take the blame but also the ship needs to put more signage and guards on openings in play areas.

Both have a part in this tragedy.

One can say if the ship had guard rails on windows with big signs that could open in play areas this would not have happened. Others can argue who picks a child up against glass to bang their head and plus doesn't hold them properly.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
This was an 18 month old toddler. She did not climb up and sit herself on that rail. As I keep saying, if someone was going to put a child of that age on a railing, and expect her to be able to sit, they need to have a firm grasp on her.

The other day I was trying to put my grand daughter Milani into her high chair. While I was holding her in one arm and using the other to adjust the chair she wiggled and fell into the chair. I have put her in the chair many times.

I have only been on two cruise ships and from what I can remember is the cabin with the balcony exits to a rail so you couldn't fall off the ship. The cabin that didn't have a balcony had a small window that didn't open.

The railings were all over the ship at the same height. If a person placed a baby on these railings I would consider it very dangerous. The railings in front of the windows should be thought of in the same way as the railings without windows, imo. The other issue is that the open window looked open in other pictures I saw because the windows are tinted.

It will be interesting to see how this gets sorted out.

Bill

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, so sad. I can't even imagine.

I would think they have videos. No clear video, we will never know exactly what/how it happened 100%.

May she RIP.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Law enforcement initially reported the grandfather said he dangled the baby. Family lawyer now saying he didn't.

Shock and surprise! A lawyer states something different to make the case more favorable to his side of the case than the person who actually is the main person in a suit.

This whole incident is a tragic accident.

Cheers

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Window should not have been open. I have to "think" anyone in their right mind would not have put a child anyone near that window if he knew there was no glass. I have to believe he did not realize there was no glass........how/why I don't know.......even if there was a glare/was wearing sunglasses,,,,,,,,,,,I would think you can see a difference between that particular opening and all the ones next to it, above it, below it..........only one open? this also seems odd to me.......how much ventilation could there have been with only one open? Can these windows be opened/(slides) by anyone?

Whatever happened..........stupid mistake.......slipped by accident........a child lost her life........tragic accident and can't even imagine living with it all.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
These are hand rails.
Not balancing beams!!!

Any kid climbing up on one should be seen and stopped by staff or the guardian therefore making hand rails plenty safe with a window or not
As for the adults? We probably wouldn’t fit out the window and shouldn’t be climbing up on the hand rail either

I think the cruise line will make adjustments but don’t feel they should pay a single dime for flat out stupidity

I see dumb parents with kids standing in grocery carts all the time. And many other sketchy parenting behaviors

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
This is one of those instances where a series of missteps all converge with terrible consequences. My heart aches for this family.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is a very sad story and now this story has taken another tragic turn with the grandfather been charged with the death of his granddaughter. The cruise ship video must be damaging for the grandfather IMO.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
After looking/reviewing at some of the above posts of the alleged window observation on the cruise ship; as the window been open or closed. One can clearly see and tell that a window is clearly open. As posted by Aurelius.

I feel it was a lack of judgement by the grandfather or could have been a mental breakdown moment causing a lack of judgement by the grandfather IMHO. There will be no winner in this lawsuit.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I feel the Grandfather should stop doing all television interviews. He does not look liked he is telling the whole truth. IMHO.

This cruise ship has sailed for many, many years, and with thousands of cruise passengers and children on board.

This Grandfather is the only person who allegedly did not see an open window and would allow his Granddaughter to sit in open window.

Something is wrong. I feel so sorry that an innocent child is loss forever.

Last edited:

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that this is not a civil case. The grandfather is charged with a crime.. So another question is whether the filing of a criminal charge is appropriate. This criminal case is brought in Puerto Rico. I don't know what is the standard under the Puerto Rico Penal Code to prove criminal negligence. Does anyone have a definition of criminal negligence under the Puerto Rico Penal Code

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
The video was submitted to Puerto Rico authorities. They used the video to determine that the grandfather be criminally charged.

OK, thanks. I had seen that reference, but that video has not been released to the public; only to the defence attorneys, who claim it is not inconsistent with the grandfather's statements. I thought you might have been referring to something that had been released. So I guess for now the jury (literally) is still out. Tragic in any case.