• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone had success at using VC points for OceanWatch, Myrtle Beach?

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to book next Aug for 10 nights MOW next year using points.

There are a few random 1 and 2 night stays available.

MY poor father has Alzheimer's and will be moving into a home as soon as my sister is granted legal guardianship. So won't be able to stay in dad's house anymore as selling. So I'll have to continue to visit MYR every year from the UK from now on.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
Very sorry to hear of your situation. We are experiencing it ourselves with an aged parent. In looking today, it does indeed appear that the initial 13 month release of a portion of the inventory at MOW has already been reserved for August 2020. There will be another inventory release for August 2020 in the future, as MVCI releases inventory at 2 intervals. I recommend watching for that date and being ready on your computer at the appointed hour to make a reservation (as they fill quickly). You might also call owner services and request to be placed on a wait list. Best of luck.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We reserved Oceanwatch about 11 months out for Sep this year for a week using VC points without issues. We wanted Ocean Front but settled for Oceanside. Ocean view was also available.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Trying to book next Aug for 10 nights MOW next year using points.

There are a few random 1 and 2 night stays available.

MY poor father has Alzheimer's and will be moving into a home as soon as my sister is granted legal guardianship. So won't be able to stay in dad's house anymore as selling. So I'll have to continue to visit MYR every year from the UK from now on.
If you book 12 months out you shouldn't have much problem getting something for August, 2020 but it likely won't be OF. An exchange is also likely to be successful Marriott to Marriott.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
All the schools in SC/NC return usually the last week in August. Inventory opens up a little then. Sept is usually no problem but it is also peak hurricane season then!

cds62

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean Watch is always a hard resort to get into. You will need to be online/phone at exactly 9am on the date that you can make reservations 12/13 months out (depending on ownership level) in order to get something. If you see something that fits then you need to take it because it probably won't be there if you try to go back later.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
All the schools in SC/NC return usually the last week in August. Inventory opens up a little then. Sept is usually no problem but it is also peak hurricane season then!
Much of the south actually returns to school much earlier like 12 August this year. I think weeks 32 and on are very workable either on DC points or an exchange. But it will take planning and being proactive and some flexibility in both view type and the actual week. Weeks 30 & 31 are likely to be more difficult.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I was able to reserve a OF at OW for late June 2020 in June with points at 12 months out but not at 13 months.

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
Much of the south actually returns to school much earlier like 12 August this year. I think weeks 32 and on are very workable either on DC points or an exchange. But it will take planning and being proactive and some flexibility in both view type and the actual week. Weeks 30 & 31 are likely to be more difficult.

I can only speak to N.C. schools but we have a state law that says “Start date no earlier than the Monday closest to August 26....” Obviously this doesn’t apply to year round schools but they are not in the majority. Looks like SC has a similar start date procedure “South Carolina state law that requires students start class no earlier than the third Monday in August.”

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can only speak to N.C. schools but we have a state law that says “Start date no earlier than the Monday closest to August 26....” Obviously this doesn’t apply to year round schools but they are not in the majority. Looks like SC has a similar start date procedure “South Carolina state law that requires students start class no earlier than the third Monday in August.”
IIRC schools in NC can ask for a waiver and start one week earlier. Obviously there is variability but for AL, GA & FL earlier start days are not uncommon, a lot are around our 12 August start date locally and some earlier. For example, Fulton County GA starts 6 August this year. And teachers normally are required to go back a week earlier, who doesn't have a teacher or other school employed person in the family:). Plus the week before school starts, whenever it is, people tend to travel less. But the point was that a lot of people are going to start earlier and everywhere I have familiarity with the timeshare demand, esp HHI 2 hrs south, the second half of August is MUCH easier than the first. And it seems progressively easier each week in August. HI is the same way. But it is relative and it is higher than Sept for example.

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got 11 nights July 29 to Aug 9 Ocean Front. Chuffed!
Dad will be in home by then but will enjoy seeing the sea from our balcony.

One of the best thing about club dues for me is the ability to cancel and change holiday dates without penalty.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Deleted duplicate, stupid phone

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Got 11 nights July 29 to Aug 9 Ocean Front. Chuffed!
Dad will be in home by then but will enjoy seeing the sea from our balcony.

One of the best thing about club dues for me is the ability to cancel and change holiday dates without penalty.
I’m not surprise you got the reservation but I am a little surprised you were able to get oceanfront. Congratulations.