• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

anyone aware of the Wyndham buying into Plantation Resort in Surfside Beach SC??

carl2591

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
So we are owners at presidential villa at Plantation Resort located in Surfside Beach SC. Late last year 2018 we were informed that Wyndham was "partnering" with PR going forward. When we check in to the resort to attend the annual HOA meeting we were shuffled off to the "parking pass desk".

The lady was telling me that Wyndham was now selling unit (aka the marketing division) and they want us to attend a owners meeting so they could let up know how this would,, not could, but would affect our deed. (as we all know wyndham are points) SO i say "Wyndham can not affect my deed and i need a parking pass." To which she was a bit put off but got the pass to me.

So at the annual meeting it was revealed that wyndham had purchase some 2000 weeks and would be selling them and other that came back to the resort via foreclosure or deed back. We were also told that this would not affect our current deeds but "if we wanted to explore" what they had to offer feel free..

So I am trying to figure out why wyndham would come in to do marketing in a non wyndham property? I noticed a new sign out by the road at check in center that says,, Wyndham.. then under that Plantation Resort.. It was explained this was a good thing as it help prevent our MF from going up over $150 from the current MF of $924. (3 bedroom lockout presidential villa unit rci#4220) just trying to figure the angle here myself.

IsaiahB

Reaction score
Wyndham has put these weeks into Club Wyndham and into WorldMark, The Club.
Their upside is selling what they've acquired.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since Wyndham now owns weeks there, they now have ownership there. Wyndham is like the Borg, they assimilate.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to figure out why wyndham would come in to do marketing in a non wyndham property?
This has been WVO's strategy for a while now; rather than build new resorts themselves, they've been looking for existing construction that they can buy a bit at a time and re-sell for a profit. In most cases, this reduces their cost of inventory. In some cases (not this one) they also become the managing entity, which is another revenue stream.

harveyhaddixfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish this is what had happened with Beachwoods in NC. Gold Key took over and started the renovation and then sold out to Diamond. MF went from $625 in 2010 to about $725 with GK and the renovation by about 2014. Now that DRI is in charge, MF went to (approximately) $825, then $925, then $1025 and are now at $1150.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Joined TUG '96, Wyndham Grand Palms AKA, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, 3 bed lockout.
RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.. We are the Borg..... not sure if this is good or bad.. our MF are currently $932 for a summer week 3 bd lock out we get some 60ish TPUs when split into the hotel and 2 bed units. "they" claim this partnership is saving us some 150 bucks on MF.. :cheer:

Since Wyndham now owns weeks there, they now have ownership there. Wyndham is like the Borg, they assimilate.

Crafty71

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Smugglers Notch Resort (Wyndham); DVC Old Key West
Carl,

This is probably a similar arrangement to what happened several years ago at my home resort, Smugglers Notch (VT). The resort is still owned privately, but Wyndham is in charge of sales. As owners convert (at a cost), their weeks also go into Wyndham inventory.

If you own a deeded week and are happy with it, then there is no need to change.

Send me a PM if you have any specific questions, but as bnoble said above, this is Wyndham's new M.O.

Cheers!

DouginSC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Plantation Resort
We are currently here at Plantation Resort and went to the owners meeting/presentation. In my opinion this is the deal. Plantation Resort was having financial problems due to so many defaults on HOA's that they partnered with Wyndham to save their butts. Wyndham basically wants your deed to what you own so they can resell it at a huge profit and then they want you to buy into the Wyndham system for a huge profit. The Wyndham thing all sounds good if you're looking to buy into something new but we were'nt intresrested in acquiring more debt so we just kept the week we currently own at Plantation Resort and use RCI. Maintenance Fees will more than likely increase but it would still be less expensive than buying into Wyndham.
Carl,

This is probably a similar arrangement to what happened several years ago at my home resort, Smugglers Notch (VT). The resort is still owned privately, but Wyndham is in charge of sales. As owners convert (at a cost), their weeks also go into Wyndham inventory.

If you own a deeded week and are happy with it, then there is no need to change.

Send me a PM if you have any specific questions, but as bnoble said above, this is Wyndham's new M.O.

Cheers!

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
In these situations where Wyndham steps in and offers to switch people to their points programs, it is not Wyndham buying your week from you - but more so an "assignment" process where you assign your usage rights to Wyndham in exchange for Wyndham points. So you still keep your week at that resort. At least this is how it worked when Wyndham acquired Pahio in Hawaii, and appears to be what they offering the Shell Vacation Owners.

So while they make it sound like they buying your week, it really is not. Because as far as I know they do not really buy deeds for points and then sell the deed them to someone else.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Still be best thing to do is keep you week as you have it now. We forgo the owners meeting when i was asked by the lady on the check in desk parking pass deal.. When i heard that I knew it was a sales deal sham.. I am surprised by the one that the HOA meeting I overheard talking about making the switch to Wyndham I was thinking SUCKERS..

If you want to getinto the wyndham system buy a small contract and add on was needed. problem I see is "they" control how the points can be used and how many points it take to get a day, or week in a resort..

I know with the RCI TPU's they have fallen over the years but the amenities at the resort have gotten better and the demand is up as well. We used to get close to 90 TPU for a 2 bed and hotel unit split up. now it more like 60 for the same thing.

Bottom line.. Timeshare is and alway be a SCAM..

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
If you owned 3 units and decided to move them into Wyndham, you might get a deal for the "conversion" and at a good price for a platinum membership. If you get to PIC a couple of weeks, there are some 3 bedrooms around that become 254K points each to PIC, so you can move up to a high level in the Wyndham system.

But we already did that on Kauai at PAHIO, so we don't have the option, but I would definitely do it again, as long as Wyndham doesn't stop us from renting what we don't use. Just sayin'.

DouginSC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Plantation Resort
Still be best thing to do is keep you week as you have it now. We forgo the owners meeting when i was asked by the lady on the check in desk parking pass deal.. When i heard that I knew it was a sales deal sham.. I am surprised by the one that the HOA meeting I overheard talking about making the switch to Wyndham I was thinking SUCKERS..

If you want to getinto the wyndham system buy a small contract and add on was needed. problem I see is "they" control how the points can be used and how many points it take to get a day, or week in a resort..

I know with the RCI TPU's they have fallen over the years but the amenities at the resort have gotten better and the demand is up as well. We used to get close to 90 TPU for a 2 bed and hotel unit split up. now it more like 60 for the same thing.

Bottom line.. Timeshare is and alway be a SCAM..

Yeah, we kept our deeded week but will probably continue going to the "presentations" to get the "free" stuff. We got them to up our giveaways this time.

I was also browsing around the RCI site this morning and noticed that Plantation Resort is no longer listed as a Gold Crown resort but is now a Silver Crown. I guess this could affect trading power??

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Trading power used to be 101 for the 3 bed lockoff when deposted as 2 units. That has gone down a lot, which is a shame because it's tough to get anything for summer there. I thought it was based on demand, and demand is very high for Myrtle Beach in summer.

We drove through the property two weeks ago. It's a gorgeous place with beautiful pools. I would like to enjoy the resort ourselves sometime.

DouginSC

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Plantation Resort
Trading power used to be 101 for the 3 bed lockoff when deposted as 2 units. That has gone down a lot, which is a shame because it's tough to get anything for summer there. I thought it was based on demand, and demand is very high for Myrtle Beach in summer.

We drove through the property two weeks ago. It's a gorgeous place with beautiful pools. I would like to enjoy the resort ourselves sometime.

It is a nice place and typically fits our needs when we travel to the Myrtle Beach area. We've only exchanged once in 20 years of ownership but was considering trying an exchange again but it might be difficult if trading power goes down. ☹️

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called there today to prepay and bank our 2021 week. The woman who answered my call said they are using a new computer system and it wouldn’t be able to do this until September. Anyone else get the same story?
I am planning to hold onto my 3bed lockout at Presidential Villas and just keep banking with RCI for the time being.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
you might try to get with Mary Thompson in member services. She has been helping me with deposits for a couple of years now. I just contacted her with my info and instructions and did not hear anything about new computer system. I am EOY even and doing the monthly MF deal on credit card. mthompson @ plantationresort , com

I called there today to prepay and bank our 2021 week. The woman who answered my call said they are using a new computer system and it wouldn’t be able to do this until September. Anyone else get the same story?
I am planning to hold onto my 3bed lockout at Presidential Villas and just keep banking with RCI for the time being.

carl2591

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
During the annual meeting this year Dave Nelson, General Manager, was showing us how the RCI rating went from Gold to
Silver crown this year.

He was saying when they stripped out the owners that had filled out comment cards they got gold crown status on them.
The difference was how owners rated teh resort which dragged down the rating.

The moral to the story was owners, knowing how nice this resort is kept up and with all the amenities, need to make sure to rate the resort a 5. If they have a problem call the office and they will fix it.

the two slides hows the rating before and after ( in gold) with owners rating a 5 on comment cards would get us back to gold crown status.

Yeah, we kept our deeded week but will probably continue going to the "presentations" to get the "free" stuff. We got them to up our giveaways this time.

I was also browsing around the RCI site this morning and noticed that Plantation Resort is no longer listed as a Gold Crown resort but is now a Silver Crown. I guess this could affect trading power??

Attachments

• 20190315_132639.jpg
    20190315_132639.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20190315_132831.jpg
    20190315_132831.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 54

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
you might try to get with Mary Thompson in member services. She has been helping me with deposits for a couple of years now. I just contacted her with my info and instructions and did not hear anything about new computer system. I am EOY even and doing the monthly MF deal on credit card. mthompson @ plantationresort , com

I spoke to Mary today. She said the same thing, new computer system, call back in NOVEMBER for July 2021. YUK

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carl, I doubt the trading power is affected much by the drop from GC to SC. Shame on the owners for slamming the resort that way, For crying out loud, pick up the phone in your unit and tell the front desk your beef, and don't wait to slam your own resort with RCI.

That is incredulous.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
They must have fixed the computer glitch. I just confirmed for July 2021 by calling.