• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott "Return Package" at Waiohai - a very good deal for a change

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
Just returned from 3 weeks at Waiohai.

When we checked in we said we were not interested in a presentation (the offer was $100 at that time). Last presentation we did was around 6 years ago.
At the end of the third week, we were offered a Return Package as follows:
  • $99 deposit. $799 total price
  • 4 nights at Waiohai (Island view, full 2BR, not the hotel rooms)
  • Parking and taxes included
  • $100 offer or Marriott points (same as the typical presentation)
  • Must be used within 18 months
  • Allowed one "emergency change" (i.e. if plans change, you can move your reservation)
  • If you cancel, $99 deposit is forfeited
  • 90 minute presentation
They referred to it as an "Encore-like offer", but it was better than any Encore offer I've seen before.

Since we always go in summer, my biggest concern is whether they would have 4 nights that could tack onto our high season stay. They claimed they reserve inventory set aside and there wouldn't be an issue. If the dates were not available, we could cancel and lose the $99. I also checked with front desk, and they also stated there was inventory set aside.

We did not do the package, as my wife's father became very ill back home while we were there. Marriott said we could call them after we got home and things got settled.

In any event, $200 a night for a 2BR Waiohai is a bargain - the equivalent of a $1400 weekly rental. If we end up getting this, we'd probably end up shortening our stay by 3 nights and renting out one of our weeks, saving a bundle.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
This is an easy offer to evaluate:

If you are okay with the parking lot view behind Hale 4, it is a great deal.

If you are not okay with that view, stay away.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem I had with my great HHi encore is they beg you to take it even when you tell them you're never going to buy direct, but they say "so what just take the great deal" and then they say "why are you wasting our time" when you don't buy during the encore. At least that is what happened to me.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The problem I had with my great HHi encore is they beg you to take it even when you tell them you're never going to buy direct, but they say "so what just take the great deal" and then they say "why are you wasting our time" when you don't buy during the encore. At least that is what happened to me.

Usually it's a different person who tries to sell you the Encore, so that person's performance review probably depends on how many/what percentage of people buy the Encore. They want you to buy what they are selling. The main sales reps though get reviewed on their closing rate of Points sales. It could be just an unintended consequence of conflicting incentive systems.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a disconnect. The ASA gets paid to get you to sign up, the salesman gets paid if you buy something, encore sales gets paid if you buy that option. They have different agendas and they function somewhat independently and for some timeshares they may not even work for the same company. We've had this happen quite a few times over the years. Historically I've just glossed it over, told them they asked us to tour and moved on but I've changed my approach. Last summer at Ko Olina we had this happen and it was a little more over the top than they usually are. The guy just went on and on and I let him. Then I told him they'd pushed us to sign up, we didn't ask for this and asked for his supervisor. Then I spend an extra hour occupying his office and discussing this with his supervisor. It was actually a very pleasant conversation with an honest exchange. We discussed the setup and why would they even invite people they KNEW were not going to buy. I think he honestly held the same opinion but didn't have control. Interestingly it was only the second time I'd gone in to a presentation actually considering buying. The other time was 2010 when I enrolled. I was looking at getting information on enrolling our resale weeks with a purchase but I wasn't quite ready given the specifics of the offer.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
This is an easy offer to evaluate:
If you are okay with the parking lot view behind Hale 4, it is a great deal.
If you are not okay with that view, stay away.

I was told by front desk staff (who have no incentive to steer me wrong) that the Return Package rooms are not a dedicated set of units, and if you have an adjacent owner week stay (island view), they will try to place you in the same unit throughout.

Has anyone here with adjacent Encore and Owner Occupy reservations been forced to move even though both were island view?

dlpearson

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORN, SVV (Bella), MOC, MBP, 7MileBeach Club
When we bought a Maui Encore package earlier this year (we're going back next February), the verbiage specially says we cannot use it in conjunction with an owner stay (meaning no back to back ressies). Don't know if it's enforced or not.....

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
We've done an Encore package at MOC as our second five days, after a week in our owned OF unit. They weren't able to book the encore week until 10 months out, but got us five days in February, so prime time is doable.

We got what must be one of the best Mountain View rooms they have. 7th floor end-corner overlooking the Maui mountains, wraparound balcony with a peek-a-boo view of the ocean. Odd shaped 1BR in Lanai tower, but I'd take it any time for an II trade. ;-)

Technically they should have charged for parking, but I was able to get that waived as part of another discussion.

Just overall was a great trip.