• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Little Girl that Died on Cruise Ship

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
The Father and Mother were on "The Today Show" this morning. This was a horrible tragedy. I can not image how much pain the Family is having. But what I disagree with was their totally blaming the Cruise Line and hiring an attorney that specializes in sueing Cruise Lines. This was not a bottom window. The child could not have climbed up by herself. The child had to be lifted up (by Grandfather) and placed on the edge of the open window. Whatever happened to acceptance of individual responsibility? This accident would never have happened but for the action of lifting the child up.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Just so sad

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree that the parents and grandparent need to take responsibility. Unfortunately the cruise line will likely settle instead of continuing with the bad publicity.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
As reported in the Indianapolis Star:

“Police initially said Chloe's grandfather, Salvatore Anello of Valparaiso, told officers he lost his grip while holding the girl outside a window on the Freedom of the Seas cruise ship, according to the Associated Press.”

How is the Cruise Line responsible for this?

Cheers

Brett

Reaction score
As reported in the Indianapolis Star:

“Police initially said Chloe's grandfather, Salvatore Anello of Valparaiso, told officers he lost his grip while holding the girl outside a window on the Freedom of the Seas cruise ship, according to the Associated Press.”

How is the Cruise Line responsible for this?

Cheers

I believe that story has changed the past couple of weeks but I agree, the cruise line will probably settle at some point

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Grandfather story changes every time he open his mouth.
This is a very sad story for the child parents, grandparents, family members, friends and the cruise line.
There are and there will be no winner in this lawsuit. A very young child has loss their life because of bad judgement by someone.

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The family can spin it however they want, but they alone know the truth. They have to live with themselves and the nights may be long. It is very sad.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Bottom line, imo, is the cruise line screwed up by providing the ability for any person to fall out of the upper deck public area to their death. Especially in an are where kids play. As soon as the person boarded the ship the cruise line is responsible for their passengers safety. In 2010 the cruise ships leaving USA ports fall under the Cruise Vessel safety act. Basically, the window should have been closed when passengers are on board because it is part of a glass wall.

Bill

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Bottom line, imo, is the cruise line screwed up by providing the ability for any person to fall out of the upper deck public area to their death. Especially in an are where kids play. As soon as the person boarded the ship the cruise line is responsible for their passengers safety. In 2010 the cruise ships leaving USA ports fall under the Cruise Vessel safety act. Basically, the window should have been closed when passengers are on board because it is part of a glass wall.

Bill
By that logic the cruise ship would be liable if a passenger climbed up on one of the outside railings, then fell overboard. Are you saying that any open area like that should be somehow barricaded? Heck, I could have fallen off the balcony in our stateroom.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

Bill
All decks of the ship would have to be enclosed in glass. May as well cruise in a bubble. The window was not at deck level, but rather at and above the railing. It is no different than an open deck with a railing. The windows open to allow additional ventilation.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Reminds me of Michael Jackson holding his kid over the balcony.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
By that logic the cruise ship would be liable if a passenger climbed up on one of the outside railings, then fell overboard. Are you saying that any open area like that should be somehow barricaded? Heck, I could have fallen off the balcony in our stateroom.

No. I'm saying the 2010 Cruise Vessel act requires enclosed areas to be enclosed and railings to be solid and 42 inches high. The open window is part of an enclosed view wall and should not be open when passengers are on board.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
You would suspect that the cruise line had video of the incident. There are cameras everywhere on the ships these days.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All decks of the ship would have to be enclosed in glass. May as well cruise in a bubble. The window was not at deck level, but rather at and above the railing. It is no different than an open deck with a railing. The windows open to allow additional ventilation.

Yes it is very different because the open window is part of an enclosure and should not have been open.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes it is very different because the open window is part of an enclosure and should not have been open.

Bill
Does the existence of a 42" railing around that enclosure change anything?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You would suspect that the cruise line had video of the incident. There are cameras everywhere on the ships these days.

I bet you are right about the camera. To think that the grandpa intentionally dropped his grand kid out of the window at 11 stories is ludicrous, imo. It wasn't intentional on the grand fathers part but it was a safety mistake on the vessels part, imo.

Bill

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score

Bill

You can't always protect people from themselves.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I bet you are right about the camera. To think that the grandpa intentionally dropped his grand kid out of the window at 11 stories is ludicrous, imo. It wasn't intentional on the grand fathers part but it was a safety mistake on the vessels part, imo.

Bill
I would certainly not think he intentionally dropped the child, but if initial reports are true where he dangled the child and lost footing or his grip then the grandfather is negligent, not the cruise line.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does the existence of a 42" railing around that enclosure change anything?

I guess the attorneys will sort it out and I bet the cruise lines make it harder for enclosures to open. I thought these enclosure windows were supposed to locked.

Bill

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
No. I'm saying the 2010 Cruise Vessel act requires enclosed areas to be enclosed and railings to be solid and 42 inches high. The open window is part of an enclosed view wall and should not be open when passengers are on board.

Bill
Count me out in being in a glass walled room with all of the windows closed.

I'm so confused by this whole thing now. I thought the window the girl fell out of was higher up, something she couldn't have gotten to on her own. In no way am I saying this was not a terrible, terrible thing to have happened. But to hold the cruise line completely responsible seems a bit much. I also don't think the grandfather dangled the child, or dropped her intentionally. However it happened it will haunt him forever.

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

Bill

“requires enclosed areas to be enclosed”?

I’m confused. So anything with walls can’t have a window that’s open? Then since a stateroom with a balcony is an “enclosed area”, the balcony door can’t be opened? The balcony must be enclosed lower deck to upper deck? The vessel and its design with opening windows wasn’t inspected and approved by the Coast Guard in order to sail in US waters and Ports?

Every cruise ship I’ve ever been on has the same opening windows as the Freedom of the Seas (which I have sailed on before).

It certainly seems to me the grandfather was holding the child near or out the window and somehow lost his grip as he stated according to his original report. A true tragedy but an accident just the same.

Cheers

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
I've followed the story of Chase Lykken for a few years now. He was a boy who nearly drowned on a Disney cruise and was left with permanent brain damage. In the aftermath of that incident, Disney added lifeguards to the cruise ship pools. Likewise, I believe that this cruise line will be making some changes.