• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"Marriott Beyond" - Vistana owners, please post in this thread ONLY

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Just went to the Marriott owners website.......... crickets.

Must have said Marriott Beyond but meant to say Marriott Bonvoy. ;)

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Given what we know now, I think we should put this matter Beyond us.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Just went to the Marriott owners website.......... crickets.

Must have said Marriott Beyond but meant to say Marriott Bonvoy. ;)
It was only meant for Hyatt owners...

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
So, do we have any REAL update on this Marriott Beyond? Didn't someone from Marriott board, defending MVC big time last week and thinking they can access VSN for free, said will attend the Beyond presentation today?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
So, do we have any REAL update on this Marriott Beyond? Didn't someone from Marriott board, defending MVC big time last week and thinking they can access VSN for free, said will attend the Beyond presentation today?
The "Beyond" presentation was something offered to a Hyatt owner visiting a Hyatt property.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The "Beyond" presentation was something offered to a Hyatt owner visiting a Hyatt property.

Isn't that Marriott "Beyond" something related to Diversity and Inclusion initiative? I'm so confused how it turns out to be new timeshare program.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Isn't that Marriott "Beyond" something related to Diversity and Inclusion initiative? I'm so confused how it turns out to be new timeshare program.
It started here.

Steve A

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at a presentation today at Marriott Summit Watch in Park City. I specifically asked about Beyond and as far as I can tell didn’t get an answer. Also I was told that if Vistana owners wanted access to MVC locations they would have to buy into the DC (or use II). He also said that MVC was currently establishing point values for Vistana timeshares. I don’t know if this is new or old information to Vistana owners.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I was at a presentation today at Marriott Summit Watch in Park City. I specifically asked about Beyond and as far as I can tell didn’t get an answer. Also I was told that if Vistana owners wanted access to MVC locations they would have to buy into the DC (or use II). He also said that MVC was currently establishing point values for Vistana timeshares. I don’t know if this is new or old information to Vistana owners.
The new point values would relate to a combined program but we were told that if you continued to use the system as we do now to exchange internally in Vistana ,values would remain the same. That was from a Vistana owner 's update

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
It's already been known for quite some time, going back even further than MVW's acquisition of ILG, that MVW has been utilizing some aspects of the II platform in day-to-day performance of the DC. I'm not sure if the entire scope of affected performance has ever been unearthed but there are others who have drilled down into this much more than I have. So, to answer your question, they do.
So if they do wouldn’t it be easy to incorporate all if the inventory for all programs? Anyway, the Marriott beyond speculation was supposed to hit yesterday. I just got back on since Saturday. What did I miss? Lol

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I thought I'd been clear in saying a number of times that the three basic components of the DC are the Trust, the Points that correlate to the Trust, and the Exchange Company. Even though their exchange company was developed and introduced under the MVW umbrella, it still is an independent entity that could function as a vehicle for non-Marriott-branded timeshares, including any that are outside the MVW umbrella.
That’s exactly what I thought. That whole DC program is confusing. I’ll keep my staroptions and be quite content.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
So if they do wouldn’t it be easy to incorporate all if the inventory for all programs? Anyway, the Marriott beyond speculation was supposed to hit yesterday. I just got back on since Saturday. What did I miss? Lol

Yes, with the DC Exchange Company and II now coming under the MVW umbrella, it should be easy* for them to use one or both to integrate all the timeshares that also come under the same umbrella. Hmmm. Maybe the DC for "internal" exchanges and II for "external?"

* (Or at least easier than starting from scratch with a whole new thing.)

This all started with a Hyatt owner talking with a Hyatt rep, posted to TUG here. Until somebody goes to a Hyatt sales presentation or gets official notice, we won't know if that fairly-detailed speculation was a something or a nothing.

That’s exactly what I thought. That whole DC program is confusing. I’ll keep my staroptions and be quite content.

But what if you can keep everything you have now AND add something to it? Something that appears much more confusing than it actually is, as far as using it? ;)

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

The "Beyond Barriers" marketing/social awareness thing was rolled out last year by the Marriott hotel company, Marriott, Int'l. It's not a separate product/program offered by the separate timeshare company, Marriott Vacations Worldwide.

"Marriott Beyond" is the specific term used by a Hyatt rep as if it's a new thing for Hyatt timeshare owners, now that they're under the MVW umbrella. The TUG post is linked here; this is copied from it:

>>... He said that Monday would be the first day of selling a new program called “Marriott Beyond”. I said, you mean Bonvoy? He said, no Bonvoy is the hotel points program, this is “Beyond”, where we can use our Hyatt ownership to exchange into all of the other Marriott owned properties. I said I had never heard of this program. He said that it is brand new, they just finished training for it, ...<<

Sure seems like both the TUGger and the sales rep understood why there could be confusion, and the TUGger asked the right questions. ;)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Wow.

A Hyatt owner is misrepresented as, "someone from the Marriott board?"

Explaining how the MVW timeshare system works to people who may be facing an offer to be included in an aspect of it is misrepresented as, "defending MVC big time?"

Explaining how you might be allowed to enroll your ownerships in MVW's DC Exchange Company the same way Marriott owners have been doing it for years is misrepresented as those owners, "thinking they can access VSN for free?"

The telephone game is alive and well on the TUG boards.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow.

A Hyatt owner is misrepresented as, "someone from the Marriott board?"

Explaining how the MVW timeshare system works to people who may be facing an offer to be included in an aspect of it is misrepresented as, "defending MVC big time?"

Explaining how you might be allowed to enroll your ownerships in MVW's DC Exchange Company the same way Marriott owners have been doing it for years is misrepresented as those owners, "thinking they can access VSN for free?"

The telephone game is alive and well on the TUG boards.

Any update on Marriott Beyond? I still haven't heard nothing from MVC. Wasn't it going live on Monday?

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Any update on Marriott Beyond? I still haven't heard nothing from MVC. Wasn't it going live on Monday?

You'll have to ask a Hyatt owner who's been to a sales presentation yesterday or today, that's where the speculation started.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You'll have to ask a Hyatt owner who's been to a sales presentation yesterday or today, that's where the speculation started.

Based on my prior conversation with OP, I thought OP was Marriott owner and just happened to be at Hyatt resort for the presentation. I just assume it is false alarm then.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Based on my prior conversation with OP, I thought OP was Marriott owner and just happened to be at Hyatt resort for the presentation. I just assume it is false alarm then.

I have no idea if the OP, Sapper, owns Marriott timeshares or not but s/he posts knowledgeably as an owner on the TUG Hyatt forum. The first post about this supposed new thing being offered to Hyatt owners was put in the TUG Hyatt forum here, and then cross-posted to the TUG Marriott forum here (because speculation has been swirling about all kinds of things since Hyatt and Vistana came under the Marriott umbrella.)

You seem to want to denigrate Marriott in every way possible but continuously confuse the fact that the Marriott timeshare company is completely separate from the Marriott hotel company, you confuse where this "Marriott Beyond" thing was introduced on the TUG boards, you confuse whatever this "Marriott Beyond" timeshare thing might turn out to be with what the "Beyond Barriers" hotel thing is, even as a Marriott owner (of unenrolled Weeks) you're still confused about how MVW's Destination Club works ...

I get how the Marriott timeshare products aren't everybody's cup of tea. I get how the Vistana and Hyatt timeshare people want to keep their identity despite their companies being acquired by the Marriott timeshare company. I get that you hate that SPG has been absorbed into Marriott's Bonvoy by the Marriott hotel company. (And believe me, Marriott Rewards people aren't all that thrilled with the new name either!)

But like I said before, I don't get deliberately misrepresenting or completely discounting what the Marriott timeshare owners are saying that might help you come out of the fog of confusion. Everybody needs a villain, I guess, and obviously "Marriott" is yours.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yes, with the DC Exchange Company and II now coming under the MVW umbrella, it should be easy* for them to use one or both to integrate all the timeshares that also come under the same umbrella. Hmmm. Maybe the DC for "internal" exchanges and II for "external?"

* (Or at least easier than starting from scratch with a whole new thing.)

This all started with a Hyatt owner talking with a Hyatt rep, posted to TUG here. Until somebody goes to a Hyatt sales presentation or gets official notice, we won't know if that fairly-detailed speculation was a something or a nothing.

But what if you can keep everything you have now AND add something to it? Something that appears much more confusing than it actually is, as far as using it? ;)
If I can keep what I have and add that would be amazing. But if the cost is too high to add I’d be content with keeping what I had. It would be nice to cross book MVC resorts but if I have to pay more I’m not sure it would be worth it based on my travel desires. While Marriott has some pretty excellent resorts, the ones I tend to visit now I’m good with. I guess I’m a creature of habit and want to be able to do and go where I enjoy. While the ability to go to MVC in Phuket would be kind of cool though :)

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I have no idea if the OP, Sapper, owns Marriott timeshares or not but s/he posts knowledgeably as an owner on the TUG Hyatt forum. The first post about this supposed new thing being offered to Hyatt owners was put in the TUG Hyatt forum here, and then cross-posted to the TUG Marriott forum here (because speculation has been swirling about all kinds of things since Hyatt and Vistana came under the Marriott umbrella.)

You seem to want to denigrate Marriott in every way possible but you continuously confuse the fact that the Marriott timeshare company is completely separate from the Marriott hotel company, you confuse where this "Marriott Beyond" thing was introduced on the TUG boards, you confuse whatever this "Marriott Beyond" timeshare thing might turn out to be with what the "Beyond Barriers" hotel thing is ...

I get how the Marriott timeshare products aren't everybody's cup of tea. I get how the Vistana and Hyatt timeshare people want to keep their identity despite their companies being acquired by the Marriott timeshare company. I get that you hate that SPG has been absorbed into Marriott's Bonvoy by the Marriott hotel company. (And believe me, Marriott Rewards people aren't all that thrilled with the new name either!)

But like I said before, I don't get deliberately misrepresenting or completely discounting what the Marriott timeshare owners are saying that might help you come out of the fog of confusion. Everybody needs a villain, I guess, and obviously "Marriott" is yours.
well Marriott hotels and American Airlines are def my villains this week lol. But seriously, the whole Marriott beyond thing was thrown out there from a Hyatt sales presentation. He was told that the new program called Marriott beyond was to be rolled out as of yesterday during a sales presentation. I think the Marriott beyond was a play on beyond barriers which was an inclusive initiative if I read correctly? I think when ppl heard Marriott beyond the speculative new program that was never revealed yesterday people started googling “Marriott beyond”. Then everyone started bringing that beyond barriers into the mix, since that’s what came up. Once again the whole thing was blown out of proportion by a fake story being sold by yet again, another timeshare sales rep. The things we hear coming out of these presentations is getting slimy. I hate their tactics.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
To be fair, companies that choose to license names of others don’t get a free ride in the realm of consumer perception. There have been some posts recently that more than suggest that since Marriott Hotels is a separate entity than Marriott VC (and various other affiliated companies) that nothing Marriott Hotels does should influence the perception of the other. Sorry, it doesn’t work that way.

While it’s obviously correct that these are two (or more) separate companies, they chose to license or use the name “Marriott”. They get the benefit of an internationally respected brand...and they get customers who expect a certain level of service and quality. And those customers can be rightfully upset if the expectation from any of those companies is less than “normal”. Conversely, if MVC does a great job, it will benefit Marriott Hotels.

With this in mind, I would suggest that those MVC supporters who are posting reminders that the legal and operational separation between Marriott Hotels and MVC (& more) upon criticism of one (or the other) should instead agree that they (the staff at the various Marriott named entities, regardless of legal ownership) should simply do better. They can all do better (even the Hotels).

FWIW, we had the same discussion years ago re SPG vs SVN. While it’s reasonable to point out they are truly separate companies, there is still the inherent linkage between them with the name (oh, and the ability to transfer points, make reservations at, and earn hotel points while at timeshares...) so it is completely reasonable for most people to assume they are one company. The same is true with Marriott.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
To be fair, companies that choose to license names of others don’t get a free ride in the realm of consumer perception. There have been some posts recently that more than suggest that since Marriott Hotels is a separate entity than Marriott VC (and various other affiliated companies) that nothing Marriott Hotels does should influence the perception of the other. Sorry, it doesn’t work that way.

While it’s obviously correct that these are two (or more) separate companies, they chose to license or use the name “Marriott”. They get the benefit of an internationally respected brand...and they get customers who expect a certain level of service and quality. And those customers can be rightfully upset if the expectation from any of those companies is less than “normal”. Conversely, if MVC does a great job, it will benefit Marriott Hotels.

With this in mind, I would suggest that those MVC supporters who are posting reminders that the legal and operational separation between Marriott Hotels and MVC (& more) upon criticism of one (or the other) should instead agree that they (the staff at the various Marriott named entities, regardless of legal ownership) should simply do better. They can all do better (even the Hotels).

FWIW, we had the same discussion years ago re SPG vs SVN. While it’s reasonable to point out they are truly separate companies, there is still the inherent linkage between them with the name (oh, and the ability to transfer points, make reservations at, and earn hotel points while at timeshares...) so it is completely reasonable for most people to assume they are one company. The same is true with Marriott.

In pointing out the legal separation between Marriott International and Marriott Vacations Worldwide, I don't recall anyone trying to say that the perceptions one has of "Marriott" doesn't carry over to both companies - it certainly does. As you say, when you share brands, you also share perceptions.

For my part, what I was pointing out in at least one of these threads by calling attention to the fact that these companies are two separate entities were some of the references that because the BonVoy technical conversion was a disaster, we should all fear that any combination of MVC/VSE will be an equal disaster. I was simply pointing out that these two companies have two totally separate software engineering/IT groups, so the failure on Marriott International to do a good job with their conversion does not mean that Marriott Vacations Worldwide can't do a better job with theirs.

Having said that, as I noted in another post(s), Marriott Vacations Worldwide doesn't have a steller IT track record either - although so far their foibles have been more nuisances than the major issues Marriott International faced. But given the IT quirks we face from time-to-time in Marriott Vacation Club, I would not be surprised if any future integration had technical issues.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

But I don't think anybody is saying that the brand perception doesn't exist despite the individual corporate structures. The criticism, mine at least, is that aspects that fall under one of the structures are being falsely attributed to that of another. Some of that is due to confusion that's unavoidable, sure, at least in the initial introduction.

But how many times is it necessary to say, for example, that the "Marriott Beyond" fairly-detailed timeshare thing that was mentioned by a Hyatt sales rep whose purview comes distantly under the Marriott Vacations Worldwide timeshare company umbrella, is a completely separate thing from the "Beyond Barriers" marketing thing that's affiliated with the completely separate Marriott, Int'l hotel company? Twice? Three times maybe? After that it's just a deliberate attempt to muddy the waters or prove a bias.

How many times is it necessary to point out that Bonvoy, the rewards program, is an entity under the Marriott hotel company umbrella, and that the affiliation between it and Marriott timeshares is practically exactly the same as its affiliation with Vistana timeshares? Evidently, a million times over, if you go by how many times the people who want to denigrate Marriott timeshares think they're being cute by saying they've been, "Bonvoyed."

Things have been made very difficult for all of us to keep straight between the timeshare segments spinning off their parent companies and then the Marriott hotel company acquiring the other hotel companies and then the Marriott timeshare company acquiring the other timeshare companies ... And like it or not, the legal company structures have a great deal to do with what might be possible and what's not possible as far as our individual ownerships. Whether or not somebody wants to dive into it all headfirst is a choice that it's perfectly understandable some won't make - but some will, and their contributions can help all of us learn.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
FWIW, many of us have been Bonvoyed to some degree. I most certainly have. I didn’t receive credit last year for stays and when I attempted to inquire all that happened is that I wasted over an hour with a phone call and multiple emails with a result that “your stay did not qualify”. It happened again just last month. And, my lifetime nights was reduced once the integration was done, though I was assured multiple times that it would be fixed (nope). Marriott predictably didn’t get it all correct, and I’m not at all surprised. It’s the little things that matter, and this was a little thing. But this year it’s meaningful because I want the 10 night credit I’m entitled to as it will push me over Platinum again by the fall when I can actually use it.

Anyway, I don’t see the need to repost what I wrote 30 minutes ago. I simply suggest that using the point that the hotel and timeshare companies are separate is a self-defeating argument given the tight integration they have in reality. In other words, there needs to be a better answer.

So, does the fact that I have a poor opinion of Marriott IT due to the integration of the SPG and Marriott (Hotel) Points system influence my appreciation and expectation of a smooth integration of VSN with MVC? You betcha. I personally think the entire timeshare industry is behind the times in terms of tech. I’ve experienced several of the larger systems and none are designed properly. They work, kind of... it only took SVN/VSN ~8 years to realize their goal of allowing online reservations, and it’s still not perfect. II has always been a mess, as well.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I get what you want to say and I agreed with you 100%. However, being spoiled by SPG for 10 years and 500 nights. Then went through this Bonvoyed integration, which was just a total disaster. I'm still fighting for 3-4 night credits in 2019, 1 disappeared FN certificate, and 35000 pts double charged, and countless issues. This program has made me and my life very sick and tired, I already no longer wanted to remind front desk my status since they just don't care anyway (unlike SPG). I think I deserve my right to complain and upset whenever chance I can. I'm sorry to Marriott Vacation Club, I just view them as corporations under the same umbrella since they share so many things together.