• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MacBook Pro or Air?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ha! This just proves how effective their store design, training, and marketing can be.

On the flip side, I’ve gone to the store to show someone a new unit and we were able to go in, evaluate the device and exit without speaking with any employee other than a brief hello.

I would also recommend evaluating the new MacBook Air vs MacBook Pro in person. Functionally there’s very little difference for your intended purpose.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you so much ....I will probably step into the store this weekend. Wish me well!

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing nice about the Apple Stores is that there is no sales pressure whatsoever. The products end up selling themselves!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update -- I went to the Apple store over the weekend. That was a great suggestion. Went to the huge store on North Michigan Ave in Chicago on Saturday. That was an experience in itself -- but it was a nice way to beat the horrible hot day we had. It is a good time to purchase. I knew there was "education" pricing this time of year but I did not know that you get a free pair of Beats headphones ($350) if you buy during the time frame. That was a pleasant surprise. And, buy buying through the UAL shopping portal, I got 8x miles on my Apple purchase. Thank you all - excited to get a new computer.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update -- I went to the Apple store over the weekend. That was a great suggestion. Went to the huge store on North Michigan Ave in Chicago on Saturday. That was an experience in itself -- but it was a nice way to beat the horrible hot day we had. It is a good time to purchase. I knew there was "education" pricing this time of year but I did not know that you get a free pair of Beats headphones ($350) if you buy during the time frame. That was a pleasant surprise. And, buy buying through the UAL shopping portal, I got 8x miles on my Apple purchase. Thank you all - excited to get a new computer.

So what size and model did you end up purchasing? Did you also purchase Apple Care?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went with the entry level Macbook Pro....I currently have a MacBook Pro and I like the feel of it better than the Air. Also, for $200 more than the Air, it's a much better laptop. No Apple Care. I have it for my iPhone, but doesn't seem necessary for my laptop.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I went with the entry level Macbook Pro....I currently have a MacBook Pro and I like the feel of it better than the Air. Also, for $200 more than the Air, it's a much better laptop. No Apple Care. I have it for my iPhone, but doesn't seem necessary for my laptop.

I consider AppleCare essential. You can add it up to a year from the date of purchase.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I consider AppleCare essential. You can add it up to a year from the date of purchase.

I disagree. The likelihood of accidental damage w/my MacBook is slim to none (unlike a phone) and I have never once needed technical support from Apple.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to the huge store on North Michigan Ave in Chicago on Saturday. That was an experience in itself -- but it was a nice way to beat the horrible hot day we had.

Did you ever watch Alias? The recapper for that show on the late, much-missed Television Without Pity website, always referred to the spy HQ as "the Apple store on Michigan Ave" because THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT IT LOOKED LIKE. The writer's recaps always cracked me up. #totallyofftopic

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).

I watched as they began to put the glass in that store as they built it. The glass was aboard a barge in the river. Glad you got what you wanted plus extras!

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Ken,

I'm curious - why do you say this?

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I have had two MacBook Air laptops. The Air has a sharp edge along the bottom of the laptop. After years of resting the laptop on my lap, and holding it still with my right thumb underneath that edge, with my fingers over the top to operate, I have what I believe may be nerve damage to the inside pad of my thumb. Hurts! I don't know if the MacBook Pro, which has a more squared off bottom edge, would do the same.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

It's certainly paid off for me.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Ken,

I'm curious - why do you say this?

Well, I can refer to dozens of incidents where having AppleCare saves lots of money. Just this weekend a friend who has a MacBook Pro was using his computer Saturday and it suddenly powered off and refused to complete booting to the desktop. He took it in and after initial diagnostics was told its either the battery or the logic board. In either case, the cost of this repair would be much more than the two years of AppleCare.

For those who want to self-insure, like the OP, I wish them the best of luck.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Well, I can refer to dozens of incidents where having AppleCare saves lots of money. Just this weekend a friend who has a MacBook Pro was using his computer Saturday and it suddenly powered off and refused to complete booting to the desktop. He took it in and after initial diagnostics was told its either the battery or the logic board. In either case, the cost of this repair would be much more than the two years of AppleCare.

For those who want to self-insure, like the OP, I wish them the best of luck.

I was curious because I purchased Apple Care with the first Mac I purchased (a regular MacBook - plain white case) but I found that as I used it, it really became a glorified desktop system. I never really put the unit at risk (as much anyway) by using it as a laptop all that frequently. The second Apple product I purchased was the Mac Mini (late 2012) which I still use but I did not purchase Apple Care on the Mini. As I recall, the price for Apple Care on the Mini was quite high and not fiscally reasonable to me. I am a big fan of the Mini (partially because I already had the other peripherals needed to use the Mini) as it has served me well for going on 7 years. A recent upgrade to a SSD likely means I can get a full decade of service from the Mini. Obviously, the Mini has fulfilled my needs quite well.

I do recall having some issues with the MacBook and Apple support was (and I suspect still is) top notch. In further considering this, I wonder with the better technology in portable computers these days (thinking fewer moving parts, less heat generated, better hard drives, etc) is resulting in fewer Apple Care sales.

Whatever the answer to that is, clearly the first and most important consideration is how (and where) a user will utilize what they purchase.

Thanks for the insight.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I view Apple Care as a form of insurance . To me, insurance is to cover catastrophic costs that I could not recoup from. A damaged laptop doesn't fall into that category. But I get the thinking that once incident would make it worthwhile.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I view Apple Care as a form of insurance . To me, insurance is to cover catastrophic costs that I could not recoup from. A damaged laptop doesn't fall into that category. But I get the thinking that once incident would make it worthwhile.
With a very high deductible IMO.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I was curious because I purchased Apple Care with the first Mac I purchased (a regular MacBook - plain white case) but I found that as I used it, it really became a glorified desktop system. I never really put the unit at risk (as much anyway) by using it as a laptop all that frequently. The second Apple product I purchased was the Mac Mini (late 2012) which I still use but I did not purchase Apple Care on the Mini. As I recall, the price for Apple Care on the Mini was quite high and not fiscally reasonable to me.

AppleCare+ for Mac mini is $99.

FWIW, my recommendation is that a manufacturer supplied warranty (which is typically easier and faster to handle warranty items vs any third party service) is worth 10-20% of the original product cost. So, if a well configured MacBook Air (for example) is $1900 (before tax) and AppleCare+ is $249, I would buy it. Occasionally you can also find AppleCare on sale for less from third party providers.

I am a big fan of the Mini (partially because I already had the other peripherals needed to use the Mini) as it has served me well for going on 7 years. A recent upgrade to a SSD likely means I can get a full decade of service from the Mini. Obviously, the Mini has fulfilled my needs quite well.

I do recall having some issues with the MacBook and Apple support was (and I suspect still is) top notch. In further considering this, I wonder with the better technology in portable computers these days (thinking fewer moving parts, less heat generated, better hard drives, etc) is resulting in fewer Apple Care sales.

I don't have numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me if they continue to decrease the percentage of AppleCare incidents.

Whatever the answer to that is, clearly the first and most important consideration is how (and where) a user will utilize what they purchase.

Thanks for the insight.

That's a justified perspective, and one that I share for most purchases. With Apple products, I tend to purchase the AppleCare extended warranty for many reasons.

With a very high deductible IMO.

FWIW, this is the standard AppleCare+ statement:

Every Mac comes with a one-year limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary technical support. AppleCare+ for Mac extends your coverage to three years from your AppleCare+ purchase date and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a service fee of $99 for screen damage or external enclosure damage, or $299 for other damage, plus applicable tax. In addition, you'll get 24/7 priority access to Apple experts via chat or phone.(2)

For me, the most important aspect of AppleCare is not in case I drop my MacBook Pro, but if there is a problem with a component requiring an extensive repair. It's not all that uncommon for logic board or other components to need replacement, and without the warranty the cost would easily be ~$500+. On occasion, I've found some stores able to discount the out of warranty repair cost (they have certain policies and ability to discount for phone repairs, in particular) but I don't want the hassle. It's worth it to me to know that if something goes wrong with the computer I can simply take it to any Apple or Apple authorized service center in the world and get it repaired.

AppleCare:
https://www.apple.com/support/products/