• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Ideas for granddaughter's 18th birthday?

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Our granddaughter will turn 18 on Saturday! Hard to believe. We will be gathering with her parents and other grandparents at a restaurant for lunch to celebrate. I don't know what to give her! Do any of you have ideas for meaningful and special gifts for a teen family member? Keep in mind that I'm running out of time.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@Glynda - it might help if you told us a bit more about your granddaughter. Is she heading off to college next year? Any special interests or hobbies? Is there something she has always wanted to try?

For example, if you wanted to give her an experience she would not forget, is there a skydiving outfit in your area?

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am the mother of a 16 year old girl so I feel well -versed on this topic. I highly suggest jewelry. Does she have any Pandora jewelry? Most teen girls like Pandora. They also like Michael Kors jewelry or Kendra Scott. Knowing your budget and the "type " of girl she is would help.

If you'd like to send me a direct message, I'd be happy to give you more specifics. Happy to help.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Cash. Every teenager can use some extra cash. If you buy a gift remember to ask for a gift receipt.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
For our daughter's 21st birthday we got her a nice gemstone necklace from a well known jewelry store, and she continues to like it nearly 10 years later. We knew her style preferences enough to pick something that would appeal to her and knew she liked jewelry. She recognized that it was a “milestone” kind of birthday present.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Ok for my Daughter's 16th Birthday we have her a very nice Pearl Necklace. While at the time she did not truly appreciate it. Now 15 years later she loves it and admits it is the nicest jewelry she owns. She wears it for all her dress up occasions.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok for my Daughter's 16th Birthday we have her a very nice Pearl Necklace. While at the time she did not truly appreciate it. Now 15 years later she loves it and admits it is the nicest jewelry she owns. She wears it for all her dress up occasions.
I jewelry coming from grandparents is particularly lovely.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
Take her on a trip. Especially if she enjoys travel and has somewhere she would like to go. I have such great memories of traveling with my grandfather. Let her pick a destination and coordinate it down the road. Just make a very nice card with a "Special vacation with Glynda" and explain that she can pick a mutual good time for a week to travel - pick up an extra vacation or getaway. Like - if she loves theatre, take her to NY. Beaches? Somewhere warm and gorgeous. Hiking? Vegas or somewhere and do Red Rocks. It can be done on whatever budget you need.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
While Patti was growing up she had an Aunt that gave her a nice Pearl for every birthday. Eventually they were made into a Braclet and then a Necklace. When our first Grandaughter was born Patti passed on this Necklace to Mathilde. The DIL is storing it and occasionally wearing it until Mathilde is quite a bit older. Pearls have to be worn or they can lose their luster.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Gift certificates are nice.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not knowing how close you are to your grand daughter I will throw something out. Jewelry seems to be a common suggestion. Do you have any piece of jewelry that would be to her taste. Knowing it is one of yours may make it very special.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
With jewelry you have to be careful, and know your granddaughter. I have one dd who love jewelry, and one who doesn't so much. I think pretty much all of the gifts of jewelry that my second dd has been given are sitting in boxes, unworn. My daughters have always preferred money, or a gift certificate for something they will use. For example there is a day spa my older dd loves and for some birthdays I've given her a gift certificate so she can go there.

dmbrand

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harbor Ridge(3)
Coral Sands-Cayman
If she lives near you, consider arranging a time to get a henna tattoo with you, or getting pedicures/manicures and lunch/dinner. Experiences seem to be very memorable, and encourage bonding.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I suggest a piece of jewelry with her birthstone. My daughter cherished a birthstone ring given to her by her grandmother.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great responses but I do need to clarify. My granddaughter lives near, but we don't see her much anymore. She an honor student and has attended a private all girls' school since she was 2 years old. She has one more year. Right now, she wants to be a veterinarian. However, money for college is pretty much already in place, though she doesn't realize just how much.

She is not a preppy dresser. No Lili Pulitzer look for her. She wears a uniform to school and mostly leggings, torn jeans, cutoff's, and what I consider too low cut tops and dresses other times. I don't see her wearing Pandora or pearls. Kendra Scott maybe. Manicures and pedicures are normal for her. She just had three sessions of a photo shoot that her school offered at a discount for upcoming seniors.

She is well traveled, at home and abroad.

You see why this is so hard?

A special piece of jewelry, I've considered. I have a small white gold necklace with a square pendant that has little diamonds comprising four squares within the whole. When she was a baby and toddler, she was fascinated with it and I would sing, "Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend" while she held it. Later, we sang it together. I put it aside for her long ago. I'm just not sure she would consider it special as she doesn't even remember it. Also, I find her somewhat careless with her clothes and jewelry. Everything gets tossed all over her room. Except for her iPhone which she is never without. Her mother works for Apple, and her dad works in eCommerce, so she gets her parents' hand me down computers and phones.

I have considered a trip to Iceland. Including her mother and me (i've been), so that we three girls can trace the steps of our maternal side ancestors as well as see the sights. It can't happen until next Spring or summer though so I'm thinking I might save that for her graduation gift next May.

The MOVA globe. Hmm...That's interesting. Her first real boyfriend broke up with her recently and she's devastated. So I especially like the sentiment of "having the whole world in front of her." I'll check with her mother.

It's not about money. I just want it to be really special and meaningful and not just something she tears the paper open on and moves on to the next. Spoiled much? :wall::ponder::ponder::ponder: :shrug::shrug:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Hot Topic gift card. My DD has shopped there since she was a teen, still does!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Again, depends on the girl. In my family, older dd for sure (when she was that age), younger dd....nope.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I never heard of that! Thanks! But I don't think that's her either.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glynda - -I have some ideas for you now that you've described your Granddaughter (and I see why this would be hard)!
1) I'm guessing she has an Apple watch. You could get her a status / designer band for it.
2) If she's into music, a pair of tickets (for her and a friend) for a concert of her choice in the year ahead.
3) Offer to take her on an outing to pick out a piece of jewelry that she likes (perhaps you can bring her to the store of your choosing) -- and obviously give her a budget.
4) Going back to jewelry , girls that age like items with their first initial monogram. Something clean, modern.
5) You can't go wrong with a blue box from Tiffany with something inside. That would resonate with an 18 YO girl.

Thinking about Iceland - I took a big trip to my daughter this summer (Japan). I considered Iceland but set it aside b/c traveling in Iceland requires lots of driving once you are there, which isn't my idea of a vacation. Just wanted to mention that in case that matters to you.

Good luck - I hope she has a great b-day.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
@Glynda - you know, you could go skydiving with your granddaughter.........
Nothing bonds like primal screaming!

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Spend time with them in "their world'.

I would NOT give jewelry ... as things disappear in college dorms (borrowed or broken or misplaced). Save it for graduation.

If she is going FAR away, offer to visit her ONCE each year at her college ... her choice of the weekend. This yearly gift has a (unmentioned) budget limit ... your goal is to talk with her about her 'new world' (aka life).

If within a 2 hour drive of your home, plan together an "on campus" activity every 5-6 weeks or so. School's sporting event or afternoon picnic or evening student play. Or just a brunch or an early dinner at a NEW place for her & you.