• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

San Francisco choices

dstacy969

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
So, we’re thinking about a trip to San Francisco next year. It looks like there are 3 options for Wyndham owners: Wyndham Canterbury, WorldMark San Francisco, and The Donatello. Canterbury is out, we don’t have enough points. I was wondering if anyone has any experience/thoughts on the other two options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We stayed at the Donatello (not as Wyndham owners but as renters). Loved the unit, it was very large. Location was good as well. If you have a car, which you really don't need in San Francisco, there is a daily parking fee. I would definitely stay here again.

I don't have any experience with the Worldmark San Francisco, but in comparing the two locations, in my opinion the Donatello is better. We spend several nights in San Francisco every year (used to live in the San Francisco Bay area) and we prefer the area closer to Union Square.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
[deleted - this has been hashed out enough]

Last edited by a moderator:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
[redacted]

dstacy969

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
We stayed at the Donatello (not as Wyndham owners but as renters). Loved the unit, it was very large. Location was good as well. If you have a car, which you really don't need in San Francisco, there is a daily parking fee. I would definitely stay here again.

I don't have any experience with the Worldmark San Francisco, but in comparing the two locations, in my opinion the Donatello is better. We spend several nights in San Francisco every year (used to live in the San Francisco Bay area) and we prefer the area closer to Union Square.

I’ve been to SF before I was a TS owner, stayed in the Noe Valley neighborhood in an apartment rented through VRBO. Spent a week, and used public transportation, except for one day when we rented a car to go see the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose.

dstacy969

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access

I’ve been to SF before. I’m equally as comfortable in big cities as I am in the country/forests. There are things about both that I love. Of course common sense should be used, not a problem.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
[deleted]

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
[redacted]

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Back to the question. We own both Shell and WM and have stayed in all 3 Shell properties in SF and the WM SF. You would be fine in either property but I would lean to The Donatello. It's nicer overall. The rooms are quite large although all units are studios.

dstacy969

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Back to the question. We own both Shell and WM and have stayed in all 3 Shell properties in SF and the WM SF. You would be fine in either property but I would lean to The Donatello. It's nicer overall. The rooms are quite large although all units are studios.

Thanks!

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Are Wyndham resale owners able to book for the Donatello?

WyndhamBarter

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed at all three multiple times. For general comfort, we prefer Canterbury,
but you're right it takes a fair number of points. The three locations have pluses and
minuses, but they are all within about 3 blocks of Union Square. Donatello is closest.

We often have issues booking Donatello with Wyndham points - it seems they only
have a smallish number of units set aside for Wyndham (rather than Shell) reservations.
Right now, for instance, the only connected stay I can find is Dec 16-19, with the
rest being scattered single nights and thus unreservable. I see *zero* inventory after
January 1 - and this is pretty typical of my experience. I suspect they only deposit
inventory for use with Wyndham points about 5 months in advance. YMMV with other
types of booking - perhaps even Extra Holidays.

The Worldmark (590 Bush) is fun but kind of funky. It sits *atop* the Stockton St
tunnel, so there's a kind of hinky stairway as the fastest walking route to Union Square.
Since it's a WM, the only way to book it with Wyndham ownership is via the "internal"
exchange program called Club Pass with an additional fee - and this option isn't
available to Wyndham resale owners. The rooms at the Worldmark are a bit odd;
all the ones we've stayed in appeared to be formerly two hotel rooms glued together
to make a sitting room and a separate bedroom. The mini-kitchen was a microwave
and minifridge with a barsink tacked on somewhere. And air conditioning was a
window unit in each of the former two hotel rooms. Funky but still quite comfortable.

All our stays at Donatello have been in well-designed large studio units. And the
on-site restaurant is tasty and very convenient - near Union Square there are of
course dozens of restaurant choices.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We have stayed at all three multiple times. For general comfort, we prefer Canterbury,
but you're right it takes a fair number of points. The three locations have pluses and
minuses, but they are all within about 3 blocks of Union Square. Donatello is closest.

We often have issues booking Donatello with Wyndham points - it seems they only
have a smallish number of units set aside for Wyndham (rather than Shell) reservations.
Right now, for instance, the only connected stay I can find is Dec 16-19, with the
rest being scattered single nights and thus unreservable. I see *zero* inventory after
January 1 - and this is pretty typical of my experience. I suspect they only deposit
inventory for use with Wyndham points about 5 months in advance. YMMV with other
types of booking - perhaps even Extra Holidays.

The Worldmark (590 Bush) is fun but kind of funky. It sits *atop* the Stockton St
tunnel, so there's a kind of hinky stairway as the fastest walking route to Union Square.
Since it's a WM, the only way to book it with Wyndham ownership is via the "internal"
exchange program called Club Pass with an additional fee - and this option isn't
available to Wyndham resale owners. The rooms at the Worldmark are a bit odd;
all the ones we've stayed in appeared to be formerly two hotel rooms glued together
to make a sitting room and a separate bedroom. The mini-kitchen was a microwave
and minifridge with a barsink tacked on somewhere. And air conditioning was a
window unit in each of the former two hotel rooms. Funky but still quite comfortable.

All our stays at Donatello have been in well-designed large studio units. And the
on-site restaurant is tasty and very convenient - near Union Square there are of
course dozens of restaurant choices.

For Donatello, Obviously I prefer half weeks. However, I do not mind single nights. I could see my fam in SF one night, then drive down to see my fam in LA. Are any of the scattered single days within the day week? Wondering if between those single stays, I can stay in a Hotwire hotel.

mjc775

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk + DRI/HVC
We’ve stayed at Canterberry via Expedia - I tried to use points but there was no availability at the time. If too many points is an issue, assuming there’s availability via Club Wyndham you could combine a few nights with points and the remaining nights via Expedia. When checking in I always tell them about our upcoming reservation to make sure that we don’t have to switch rooms mid-stay.

WyndhamBarter

TUG Member
Reaction score

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sadly, it won't let me reserve the single days at all - even the ones coming
up next week. I suspect they are enforcing a two-day minimum even for
very short-term rentals, unlike normal Wyndham-owned resorts.

They do show a lot of availability for ca$h on extraholidays, but I'm not sure
you would be interested in these clearly-SF-market prices...

https://reservations.travelclick.co...6&landing_site=extraholidays.com#/datesofstay

View attachment 12952

Holy crap. $239 even on a Thursday? With Donatello being about 18k a night, that comes out to about $110-$120 in MF.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
FWIW I think $239 for what you get at the Donatello is pretty good compared to the major hotels downtown.

We own in NY with HGVC and the Open Season rate for the studio there is $391 + tax = almost $450. And you have to own there to get that rate. On Hilton.com the rate is $514 + tax.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
FWIW I think $239 for what you get at the Donatello is pretty good compared to the major hotels downtown.

We own in NY with HGVC and the Open Season rate for the studio there is $391 + tax = almost $450. And you have to own there to get that rate. On Hilton.com the rate is $514 + tax.
Depends on the time of year, and sometimes even the specific days. We've stayed at tne Hilton Inion Square for aroind $200/night, sometimes even less. I've also seen rooms there for $700/night and up.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Sadly, it has come to my attention that there may be Tuggers who are suffering from Coprophilia. I am very sorry about your condition, but please do not share it on TUG in the future. Enough is enough.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprophilia

dstacy969

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
Sadly, it has come to my attention that there may be Tuggers who are suffering from Coprophilia. I am very sorry about your condition, but please do not share it on TUG in the future. Enough is enough.

Wow, I could’ve lived the rest of my life quite contentedly without ever having known what that is.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
In simplest terms: There are a handful of people who feel compelled to post about poop every time the topic of San Francisco comes up - this has been going on for awhile, and threads have been closed over it. I deleted those posts from this thread, and asked them to stop. Since you are new here, you don't know the back story, so I understand why it was confusing for you.

dstacy969

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
In simplest terms: There are a handful of people who feel compelled to post about poop every time the topic of San Francisco comes up - this has been going on for awhile, and threads have been closed over it. I deleted those posts from this thread, and asked them to stop. Since you are new here, you don't know the back story, so I understand why it was confusing for you.

Ah, I see. Thanks for explaining.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Double check with WM San Francisco. They are going to be without elevators for quite some time. I forget the beginning and end dates.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

FWIW, this thread was very helpful for me. I now know I might be able to get a half week at Donatello costing about 1/2 the points of Canterbury.