• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Totally screwed by Autoslash/Priceline/Hertz

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Good move !!! We are Avis Prefered too and I really like just showing my reservation to the fast lane person and driving off. Last time we did this was in Kauai. About six other customers got off the shuttle before us but we were out of the parking lot in 5 minutes with a new Toyota.

This next trip we have a reservation through auto slash. It is a pretty good deal. Maybe $350 less than the others sites for two weeks in Maui. I will looking at outer prices but I doubt that any beat the auto slash price. It does make a bit nervous when you say Hertz ran out of cars because that is where auto slash is sending me.

Bill

Is there a way to double confirm your reservation with hertz now before you leave?

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Hertz could see me confirmation and I had a hertz confirmation number. Hertz would not agree to give me the car I reserved for the price on the reservation.

I have never experienced anything like this and don’t know if it was because it was Priceline or not. But the were no helpful at all and really rude about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That is just really odd and would give me a bad feeling about Hertz. It shouldn't matter who the reservation was booked through. If they can see it, but wouldn't give you the car you reserved for the price on your confirmation, I'd blame Hertz.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hertz could see me confirmation and I had a hertz confirmation number. Hertz would not agree to give me the car I reserved for the price on the reservation.

I have never experienced anything like this and don’t know if it was because it was Priceline or not. But the were no helpful at all and really rude about it.

That is just really odd and would give me a bad feeling about Hertz. It shouldn't matter who the reservation was booked through. If they can see it, but wouldn't give you the car you reserved for the price on your confirmation, I'd blame Hertz.
I'm with Luanne here. I've had many Hertz reservations through Priceline Z(and Hotwire), including ones where they didn't have my vehicle and upgraded me. The only "difference" that I've noted is that since I reserved through PL I don't get Gold Points.

But they've recognized me as a Gold member, so they already have my cc and Drivers License on file. And sometimes my name has been on the Board so I just go out and grab my car - even though it's a PL or Hotwire reservation.

I think you might have just had a funky customer service contact. Sometimes you just hang up and call again.

I also try to do as much of my stuff like that, such as adding a reservation to my Gold account on-line.

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a bait and switch in Park City last week. Alamo wouldn’t honor my auto slash/Priceline price on an economy car. Said coupon? expired.
Had to book suv for 50 dollars more. Left with the more expensive suv and notified auto slash by email. They agreed to send me a 50dollar check through mail. So it looks like autoslash is making an effort to honor prices, in my case anyway.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
I might have fought harder but we were heading out the door to fly to San Diego. Spent the night in San Diego and had dinner in Little Italy last night. Getting ready to fly to Kona today.

I normally hate calling customer service and do everything online. I had a hertz reservation number but could not pull it up on the website or app. That’s the only reason I called Hertz.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I hate when companies pull shenanigans on folks who just want to enjoy their hard earned vacation.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Costco because their pricing is usually very competitive, but also because their contract includes an additional driver. That is a great perk because it doesn't hoist all the responsibility for driving on one person. While some rental companies (Avis, Budget, Enterprise, and Fox IIRC) allow a spouse to drive for free on all their rentals, none offer a generic second driver. We often travel with our adult kids or another couple, so having a 2nd driver means that we can pick any two drivers; we just have to ensure that the reservation is made under one of the driver's names! With typical additional driver rates around $12/day (capped at $65), that savings alone usually puts Costco ahead of other discounters.

However, next time I will definitely try AutoSlash along with my Costco reservation, so thanks for the tip!

P.S. I also always use my Chase Sapphire card to reserve so that I can get their awesome rental car benefits, including them being primary in case of an accident.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
However, next time I will definitely try AutoSlash along with my Costco reservation, so thanks for the tip!

P.S. I also always use my Chase Sapphire card to reserve so that I can get their awesome rental car benefits, including them being primary in case of an accident.
When you make a reservation using AutoSlash they will ask if you have any memberships. If you have a Costco membership you will get that additional driver free.

AutoSlash

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of the difficulty @jjking42. It sounds like you spoke with an inexperienced agent at Hertz. We wish you would have contacted us (AutoSlash) directly so we could have advised you.

The problem likely was that in order to add your Hertz Gold member number, they would need to cancel your existing reservation and re-book a new one. Because you were calling a day before pickup, Hertz was probably sold out of your previously booked vehicle and the computer system was not letting them re-book the same vehicle type. Had you just showed up, you would have been given the vehicle type you booked (since you had a confirmed reservation) or been given a complimentary upgrade if your booked vehicle type was not available.

The way to avoid this in the future is to add your Hertz member number at the time of booking. You can do this on the Priceline checkout page (we have a handy guide here). Then you can skip the counter, be eligible for upgrades, and earn points on your rental. If you forgot to do this, you could always go to the Hertz Gold counter at the airport upon arrival and ask them to attach your Hertz member number at that time. It's a different (and much smoother) process than when you call the (often clueless overseas) agents.

Hope this helps to clarify things.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Sounds like the typical car rental agency bait and switch tactic similar to trying to scare you into buying the insurance or trying to hoist gas and damage fees on your rental if you fail to video the gas tank full and car undamaged. Shame on Hertz. I thought only the Thrifty's of the world did this. Good to know of this tactic.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Sounds like the typical car rental agency bait and switch tactic similar to trying to scare you into buying the insurance or trying to hoist gas and damage fees on your rental if you fail to video the gas tank full and car undamaged. Shame on Hertz. I thought only the Thrifty's of the world did this. Good to know of this tactic.
I am usually not the one who picks up our rental cars, dh does, but when I have rented a car without him I do get asked about upgrades, for a cost. I just say no, and that's the end of it. Same with the extra insurance. Maybe because I tend to rent through companies where I have a membership I don't get asked these questions much. Last time I was offered an "upgrade" it was for free, for a Jeep. This was on Maui, I think with Alamo. I just laughed and said no way would I want a Jeep. Too uncomfortable.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Sorry to hear of the difficulty @jjking42. It sounds like you spoke with an inexperienced agent at Hertz. We wish you would have contacted us (AutoSlash) directly so we could have advised you.

The problem likely was that in order to add your Hertz Gold member number, they would need to cancel your existing reservation and re-book a new one. Because you were calling a day before pickup, Hertz was probably sold out of your previously booked vehicle and the computer system was not letting them re-book the same vehicle type. Had you just showed up, you would have been given the vehicle type you booked (since you had a confirmed reservation) or been given a complimentary upgrade if your booked vehicle type was not available.

The way to avoid this in the future is to add your Hertz member number at the time of booking. You can do this on the Priceline checkout page (we have a handy guide here). Then you can skip the counter, be eligible for upgrades, and earn points on your rental. If you forgot to do this, you could always go to the Hertz Gold counter at the airport upon arrival and ask them to attach your Hertz member number at that time. It's a different (and much smoother) process than when you call the (often clueless overseas) agents.

Hope this helps to clarify things.

Auto Slash
Before I called hertz I went to the Hertz website and tried to retrieve my reservation using my confirmation number. It would not pull anything up. That’s not acceptable. It’s not that I could not add my gold number. The problem is that I could not get anything in writing from hertz and all I had is a Priceline confirmation with a supposedly good hertz confirmation number on it .

I do not trust Priceline and that is why I wanted to confirm my reservation with Hertz. It’s not in unreasonable to want to confirm your reservation with the actual car rental provider

I will try to use your service again but I will not book with Priceline or Hertz.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We we are using auto slash for our trip in September. A Priceline also. Now you have me worried. We always did well with Autoslash in the past before the Priceline merge.

Another thing to now to have to check into.

Sorry this happened to you. Really stinks. I would be beyond angry!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Auto Slash
Before I called hertz I went to the Hertz website and tried to retrieve my reservation using my confirmation number. It would not pull anything up. That’s not acceptable. It’s not that I could not add my gold number. The problem is that I could not get anything in writing from hertz and all I had is a Priceline confirmation with a supposedly good hertz confirmation number on it .

I do not trust Priceline and that is why I wanted to confirm my reservation with Hertz. It’s not in unreasonable to want to confirm your reservation with the actual car rental provider

I will try to use your service again but I will not book with Priceline or Hertz. I checked the Costco box and other applicable boxes on your website but it always came back Priceline.

I know your response was back to AutoSlash, but I just wanted to add a couple of comments.

I had a reservation made through AutoSlash with Alamo. I actually have two reservations, both for the San Jose, CA airport for different dates. I was able to see both of them on the Alamo website, but when I tried to pull one one to review it, I kept getting a message saying coupon expired. I called, and used their automated system. I was able to get confirmation that the reservation did exist.

I do agree with you that it is always a good idea to confirm your reservation with the actual car rental company. I still put this one on Hertz.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say when you said you check applicable boxes, like Costco on the AutoSlash site and it comes back Priceline. By checking those other boxes all that is giving them is the information about what "clubs" and memberships you have. What I found out was if you have a Costco membership, they will apply that (and the second free driver) to any reservation that they (AutoSlash) can find for you. It doesn't mean they will find you a reservation through Costco. While most of the reservations I've made with AutoSlash recently have been through Priceline, I'm finding cases where I am getting the choice of booking through Priceline or AutoSlash.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We we are using auto slash for our trip in September. A Priceline also. Now you have me worried. We always did well with Autoslash in the past before the Priceline merge.

Another thing to now to have to check into.

Sorry this happened to you. Really stinks. I would be beyond angry!
I've never had any issue with Priceline through AutoSlash. But again, it's always a good idea to double check with the rental car company to make sure they have the reservation. We have been making the reservations with companies where we are members and have been able to see the reservations on their website.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I believe the lesson here is to make sure your loyalty number is included in the initial Autoslash/Priceline reservation so that the rental company can connect it with your loyalty profile. I have always done that and always found our reservations in the rental car company online portal. If you don't enter it, you will only have a priceline reservation which sounds like it will be honored but you may want to have a back-up reservation just in case.

FWIW...I have used Autoslash/Priceline for the past several years 1 - 2 times a month and have never had an issue. With the exception of a few rentals via my DHs corporate account at National, the prices have always been superior.

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
I'm skeptical of Tugg affiliating with Priceline. Guess I should 'hope for the best' but I won't be using Priceline...

Last edited:

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
Past Priceline bookings have proved problematic for me - resv not honored or contested by car rental co/hotel. I've never had an issue booking with Costco PLUS a second driver is free! That saves us ~$15/day! I have never used Autoslash but I avoid Priceline like the plague - just had too many instances like the one Jim describes. Never again.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Past Priceline bookings have proved problematic for me - resv not honored or contested by car rental co/hotel. I've never had an issue booking with Costco PLUS a second driver is free! That saves us ~$15/day! I have never used Autoslash but I avoid Priceline like the plague - just had too many instances like the one Jim describes. Never again.
If you do use AutoSlash just indicate you are a Costco member and you will get the second driver free.

flindberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Bali Hai
Wyndham Ka Eo Kai
Thanks. I got that and am curious to try Autoslash after so many people on this thread say it works for them but if the reservation pops up as Priceline - no deal.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I just called Alamo yesterday to confirm our reservation through AutoSlash/Priceline for Sept. and the automated system did confirm it and for a few bucks less. For some reason I could not confirm it on line, though.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Even for rentals through Priceline?
Yes, even for rentals through Priceline.

When you use AutoSlash you will get a number of quotes. A few are "Pay Now", and I'm not sure who those go through since I don't use them. The others are "Pay later" (as in when you get the car, or more correctly when you return the car). Sometimes there is a choice to book between AutoSlash and Priceline. Again, I've said this many, many times, when we have had rentals through Priceline we have not had any issue with them.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Thanks. I got that and am curious to try Autoslash after so many people on this thread say it works for them but if the reservation pops up as Priceline - no deal.
You may get a choice to book and pay later with either Priceline or AutoSlash.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If you do use AutoSlash just indicate you are a Costco member and you will get the second driver free.

How do you prove Costco if they push back? All you have is Autoslash/Priceline quote that says it depends on rate in the fine print. I am not sure Autoslash/Priceline always quotes through Costco. Sometimes I see other coupons.

We had push back on Maui for second driver by Alamo even though I called the customer service twice ahead of time and told me that Alamo automatically gives second driver was free. Woman at counter said that she has worked there 10 years and Alamo does not do that (how's that for an Aloha greeting?) I finally asked the attendant in the garage who helps you find the car and she wrote "second driver free" on my reservation sheet so we weren't charged.

I blame the car rental agencies for playing games. These problems seem to be getting worse. I now think twice about getting a rental car vs. using Uber.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
How do you prove Costco if they push back? All you have is Autoslash/Priceline quote that says it depends on rate in the fine print. I am not sure Autoslash/Priceline always quotes through Costco. Sometimes I see other coupons.

Not understanding you question/concern. When you enter a search,or tracking, into AutoSlash you get a screen that asks you for any affiliations you have. Things like airlines, clubs like Costco or Sam's and rental car memberships. Just click that. That should give you any benefits, like the second driver free, that those memberships allow. I found this out from someone at AutoSlash when I questioned the second driver fee at one time.

We had push back on Maui for second driver by Alamo even though I called the customer service twice ahead of time and told me that Alamo automatically gives second driver was free. Woman at counter said that she has worked there 10 years and Alamo does not do that (how's that for an Aloha greeting?) I finally asked the attendant in the garage who helps you find the car and she wrote "second driver free" on my reservation sheet so we weren't charged.

I blame the car rental agencies for playing games. These problems seem to be getting worse. I now think twice about getting a rental car vs. using Uber.

I'm with you. If games are being played, or commitments not met, it's usually the rental car company. What I've done in the past is go ahead and pay the extra, then dispute it when I get home. I don't think I've had an instance where I haven't gotten a refund. But, I will also say the times I've had to do this have been very few and far between.

And now for my latest success story with AutoSlash. Dh and I are going to Carmel, CA in August. We'll be there for 4 days. My first car rental reservation for $360. It's now down to $181, and I wouldn't be surprised if it dropped again. Every time there has been a lower price found I've been notified by AutoSlash.