• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Suze Orman wants young people to stop “peeing” away millions of dollars on coffee.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
They do make coffee makers with timers on them. So when you get up the coffee is ready. Keurig is also fast.
She is living with us until she finds an apartment. I don't use a coffee maker. I make coffee one cup at a time with an old fashioned drip system. And no thanks to Keurig. When she gets her own place she can decide if she wants to make coffee at home to bring to work.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Starbucks coffees are reasonably priced, plain coffee, not the ones with all the sugary stuff added to them.

I personally at times get a pour over, decaf strong black, freshly made as you wait. No one makes it better.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We must really be idiots - we drink Philz Coffee (more expensive than Starbucks).
We have a Jura Ena Micro5 at home.

Of course, for some people there are more important things than money.
Like good coffee, wine and beer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
perhaps "interesting" but not quite the "truth" in this post-truth era

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suze_Orman

unless you consider wikipedia part of the "scam"

There is a big gap there when she borrowed $52K from friends to open a restaurant, what happened? The next paragraph she lost it investing with Merrill Lynch. Is it normal to invest money you intend to use to start a business?

We don’t spend on store coffee but don’t ask about my addiction to Robecks smoothes lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Starbucks coffees are reasonably priced, plain coffee, not the ones with all the sugary stuff added to them.

I personally at times get a pour over, decaf strong black, freshly made as you wait. No one makes it better.
I buy Starbucks Sumatra and Komodo Dragon whole bean. Those two are among the few coffees I've found that can take a dark roast and be brewed at the strength I enjoy without turning unpleasantly bitter. If I'm meeting someone at Starbucks I'll usually order a simple drip coffee, but I do occasionally treat my Spanish tutor to a latter when we meet at Starbucks.

I guess Suzie Ormand would like me - I never been able to see the sense in paying latte prices for what is essentially a cup of coffee with added things to make it caloric.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We must really be idiots - we drink Philz Coffee (more expensive than Starbucks).
We have a Jura Ena Micro5 at home.

Of course, for some people there are more important things than money.
Like good coffee, wine and beer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I love mocha tesora at Philz! They used to make this delicious Tesora brownie but no more, at least not at the Cupertino Store :(

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I haven't bought coffee or drinks with meals for over 20 years now. I just ask for water. Also no Starbucks for me. Get my coffee fix in the morning with my trusty Mr Coffee. At home all I drink is sugar free lemonade made from powder and tap water. I'm sure I have saved a ton of money. Just never calculated it...

George

Let's jump in the waaaaaaayy back machine!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Some someone poured it wrong and you make them do it again???? :D:D:D:D

Signed,

A non coffee drinker (obviously!)

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Don drinks Dunkin' Donuts coffee, from the local shop or using the Keurig here at home. During our drives back-and-forth to Hilton Head he now knows where he can find a Dunkin's so our stops are always at the same places. I drink hot tea and have yet to find anyplace that I can buy it where they use tea-only carafes to brew it, so I skip the bitter coffee taste that pollutes every cup of tea except the ones I make myself. During our long drives I make a thermos-full and ration it, or I buy bottled iced tea.

When I was a twenty-something working in Boston I bought lunch every day at the cafe run by the YWCA - they had an awesome salad bar and great sandwiches at near-cost, and the profits went to the women who needed the services the Y provided. Don sometimes brought from home, sometimes didn't, depending on whether he liked the leftovers from supper the night before.

Young people these days on the whole aren't any different than we were at their age when it comes to wasting a few bucks on unnecessary frills, and from what I see with my thirty-something kids they are facing far more challenges than we did at their age (during the Dark Ages of the late 80's/early 90's.) My kids have begun their families and are living in starter homes but I know that it was harder for them to get this far than it was for us, evidenced by the fact that they're older at this stage of the game than we were at the same stage. Just look at the expenses involved with the internet and communications - we resisted cable TV for as long as possible, paying a +/- $20 monthly telephone bill and watching 9 free local channels; they pay upwards of $200 for bundle packages or streaming services that include all sorts of extras but would cost more if they chose only the necessary basics on an a-la-carte menu. Food, housing, everything is proportionally more expensive for them than it was for us. The bulk of their retirement will be on them; we're nearing retirement age as the last generation who will collect at least a portion of our retirement income from 100%-employer funded plans.

Suze Orman is an extremist who preys on people suffering financial woes that go far beyond the price of a cup of coffee every day. As you can tell, it bugs me when she and other people talk about this next generation being wasteful or feeling a sense of entitlement. ;)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
.... I drink hot tea and have yet to find anyplace that I can buy it where they use tea-only carafes to brew it, so I skip the bitter coffee taste that pollutes every cup of tea except the ones I make myself. During our long drives I make a thermos-full and ration it, or I buy bottled iced tea.....

All I can say is - Thank God for McAlister's!

Tea is ALWAYS the way to predict whether a restaurant will be good or bad because to make good tea takes considerable effort and a commitment to cleaning the equipment regularly!

And good water!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill

Personally I don't like Starbucks coffee. I used to get their flavored lattes until I finally had a latte (no flavor) made with good coffee and realized what was happening. Since then I have not had a cup of Starbucks. We frequent local, independent coffee places here. And so I disagree that no one makes a better pour over than Starbucks. :) I make my own pour overs at home.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I love Peet’s coffee. We also have a local coffee roaster that I enjoy. Basically I go get coffee with my friends after some bike rides, definitely a social thing. If I’m making the plan it will likely be Peet’s but I’ll go to Starbucks if that where we’re going...

I love everything about coffee. I make drip coffee every day at home and drink it black. I love socializing with friends at a coffee shop, usually a weekly thing but it could be more frequent, depending on what people want to do. Coffee is part of living life well for me.

Ditto for wine with dinner, cocktails out, or even a restaurant iced tea if I feel like living large.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
perhaps "interesting" but not quite the "truth" in this post-truth era

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suze_Orman

unless you consider wikipedia part of the "scam"
Obviously a documentary video is going to be biased for or against whatever the subject is, but I am not sure what in the Wikipedia article specifically disputes the video. Perhaps you should provide specific examples from the video and article that contradict each other?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We should never try to validate someone based on what they spend their money on. Some people spend tens of thousands of dollars to climb Everest, I think that is a waste of money. I spend money on timeshares, others think that is a waste of money. I don't judge them, they shouldn't judge me.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
We should never try to validate someone based on what they spend their money on. Some people spend tens of thousands of dollars to climb Everest, I think that is a waste of money. I spend money on timeshares, others think that is a waste of money. I don't judge them, they shouldn't judge me.
100% agree!

Brett

Reaction score
Obviously a documentary video is going to be biased for or against whatever the subject is, but I am not sure what in the Wikipedia article specifically disputes the video. Perhaps you should provide specific examples from the video and article that contradict each other?

perhaps one should ask - did Suze Orman actually "scam the world" and cause the 2008 great recession ?
or

(more likely) is this a hack "documentary" full of out-of-context quotes and opinions by a disgruntled ex-associate ?
https://www.fool.com/investing/gene...st-criticism-of-suze-orman-ive-ever-seen.aspx

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We have a machine at work which makes coffee on demand. Grinds the beans and brews the coffee a serving at a time. Free. It uses Starbucks beans.

At home I like Peet's Major Dickason's Blend.

I drink my coffee black.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I don't like Suze Orman one bit, but extremist? Really...

George

Not in the political sense! I mean in that she suggests removing every last cent of discretionary spending from your budget, no matter if she's working with people who are seriously in dire financial straits or people like the younger generation who she says should stop buying lattes. Hers is an extreme position that works for the people who need it most, but every young person out there treating himself to a cuppa doesn't need to be chastised for it. :)

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Validate? No, I agree with that. I find what a person chooses to spend their money on quite interesting (perhaps read as revealing).

But what we spend our money on does define us to an extent. It shows our priorities (for better or worse) and what we do (or do not) value.

geekette

Reaction score
...Reason is because she gets up very early to commute to work, doesn't have time to make coffee in the morning and uses it to wake up

That doesn't make sense to me. Takes longer to stop off for coffee. Most coffee makers these days can be set to start at whatever time. Can also just get it ready night before and hit button before getting in shower.

That said, people can spend their money on anything they want. I dislike when some other party decides what are appropriate expenditures when it isn't their wallet. Life is short, enjoy today. If that includes a fine coffee, go for it. I'm good with my Mr Coffee and Folgers. Probably some things I spend on that others wouldn't.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
...Reason is because she gets up very early to commute to work, doesn't have time to make coffee in the morning and uses it to wake up

That doesn't make sense to me. Takes longer to stop off for coffee. Most coffee makers these days can be set to start at whatever time. Can also just get it ready night before and hit button before getting in shower.
No, it doesn't take her longer. She takes a commute bus to work, there is a place to get coffee right by where she works. I don't use a coffee maker, therefore she doesn't have access to one. She may decide when she moves into her own place that making her coffee and bringing it it something she will do.

That said, people can spend their money on anything they want. I dislike when some other party decides what are appropriate expenditures when it isn't their wallet. Life is short, enjoy today. If that includes a fine coffee, go for it. I'm good with my Mr Coffee and Folgers. Probably some things I spend on that others wouldn't.
Didn't you just do that?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, one's spendings is prioritized to what is important to the person. In our previous work life, we knew of several people who were on food stamps and getting welfare checks who had nails done, i.e. acrylic nails, frequently. Heck if I were them, I would be saving that money on something that was a neccessity instead of frivolous. Also, acrylic nails could harbor germs in which we disallowed for our employees to have in their line of work. On a personal basis, we are all different and that's what makes the world go around.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
No, it doesn't take her longer. She takes a commute bus to work, there is a place to get coffee right by where she works. I don't use a coffee maker, therefore she doesn't have access to one. She may decide when she moves into her own place that making her coffee and bringing it it something she will do.

Didn't you just do that?
Nope, I was confused, and had nothing to do with spending money. The part about no coffee maker at home was missing. As was public transport for commute. You said she took her lunch every day, she clearly has time for that, so it was hard to understand how making coffee was some onerous time burden. Now I get it! it wasn't at all about time, it was about No Coffee Maker.

If I were to get coffee between home and work, it would involve taking my car off route to get it. Since driving is my normal, always has been, I read through that lens. It would add hours to my commute to attempt the bus, too many transfers, no way I could wait that long for coffee!! I need Wake Up before I leave home.