• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Yard sale

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Getting ready for a yard sale. Never really had one. I do have experienced help as my grand daughter said she would sell the stuff. The things I have are not the regular yard sale stuff. As I empty my shop and ocean container I seem to have a pallet of nails, boxes of new light fixtures, new windows, a few new doors, boxes of copper pipe fittings, plumbing fixtures, large bolts, large fasteners, rolls of wire, a pallet of maple flooring, stone/tile, too many other things and a new black cast iron sink.

When I calculate how much this stuff cost now days it seems like well over $30,000. I bet I get less than $1000 which I split with my grand daughter, lol.

Oddly, I know as soon as this stuff is gone I will likely need some of it.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Luck, Bill. Hope you get close to max for your 'saved treasures'. Back in the day, I used to go to auctions at moving company storage warehouses when they would sell off stuff people had put in storage and neglected to pay the bill after a while. Te auctioneer would bring out a box or several and offer the contents sight unseen. A box could get a few dollars or if there was a clue to it's contents (Stereo gear written on the box) it might get more. Hope yours is successful.

Jim

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My expectations are low on the yard sale. The good thing is I will be able to rent the shop if I want. I might paint my Jeep and truck one more time first. I will definitely miss using the shop but I really don't use it much these days.

Bill

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Some of the traffic will be peep looking for stuff to resell on ebay.
They won't care what it is, just that ebay value will be higher.

tjway301

Reaction score
I love going to yard sales. I usually end up buying furniture when I visit one.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Get that sale advertised on Craig's list with photos and add an ad in "building materials."

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
If you itemize taxes some of it it might be worth more as a donation to Habitat for Humanity, they take building materials, maybe even just the stuff that doesn’t sell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi! I did a sale like this a few years ago when I moved. One thing I did that made life a LOT easier was I had it as a "make me an offer sale". I didn't price anything up front. That takes a lot of time. I had several signs positioned without the sale that basically said "Let me know how much you'll pay for something and we'll take the conversation from there". Worked REALLY well.

Dori

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have held many yard sales over the years, and I never price anything. Like Cornell, I just say, “Make me an offer.”, and it saves me hours and hours of putting price stickers on everything.

Dori

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I hate holding a yard sale - would rather donate for a charitable donation.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I give away stuff thru my local "freecycle.org" outfit.
Otherwise, it goes to a dumpster or hazardous waste center.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I give away stuff thru my local "freecycle.org" outfit.
Otherwise, it goes to a dumpster or hazardous waste center.
Love freecycle! We got some of our packing boxes when we moved that way. We also got rid of a lot of stuff that was too good to throw out, but not good enough to donate.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I hate holding a yard sale - would rather donate for a charitable donation.
Years ago I did yard sales. I hate the haggling. Even if you have something priced at a give away price, most want it for less.

I remember going years ago to a yard sale. A larged etched, signed piece of heavy crystal was $5. At that time it was worth hundreds. This was when crystal was hot.

Another buyer would not leave the seller alone, insisting on paying $2. It was annoying to me so I loudly said I will give you $5 and handed it to her. Now the buyer was willing to pay $5, saying I was here first. Seller said I did not sell it to you. I really didn’t want the piece but years later I still have it displayed and enjoy it.

Now I donate everything even though my community has community yard sales. I know the money will be used by the organization I choose.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I took the old stereo's out of the shop and office. I have had the Bose 601's since 1978. They have been shop speakers since 1982. If those speakers could talk the stories they could tell. I put them on a table and hooked them up to an old Marantz receiver. They still rock.

There are no price tags on anything. I told my grand daughter to just get rid of stuff. Habitat for Humanity is one of the places I give things to. My company built a few homes with partners and Habitat in the past. We built a three bedroom house in eight days. The new owners were so happy. Usually the people that get these homes actually work on the home but this family was not physically able to help.

Most of the building stuff is on a long trailer so it will be easy to haul it away. Found my old sturgeon rods.

Bill

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I took the old stereo's out of the shop and office. I have had the Bose 601's since 1978. They have been shop speakers since 1982. If those speakers could talk the stories they could tell. I put them on a table and hooked them up to an old Marantz receiver. They still rock.

Bill

The junk they build today cannot hold a candle to this equipment.

Bill, if you tell me you got rid of these items I will be shedding a tear for you.....

But sadly, what else has changed is the decline of local radio stations......

Another tear.... :bawl:

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bill

My brother sold all his old stereo stuff on ebay - quickly and for a good $ too. Seems that there are people out there who collect and are looking for this kind of stuff.

Best of luck with your sale!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I find a yard sale to be easier than hauling stuff to donate and for the work you may make a few hundred bucks. It isn't like my time is worth hundreds of dollars an hour. We had a garage sale for my wife's grandmother's things after her passing. After it was all over they had less than $200 but there was a ton of stuff that went out of there. The key is to sell stuff real cheap or you simply end up packing it all back up. We had stuff priced at $0.25 and $0.50 with some larger items priced higher. People were asking why stuff was so cheap. I don't go to many garage sales, but the few I have been to people seem to think their stuff is worth a lot of money.

After that garage sale we had, my wife's aunt thought she could do better and that we didn't sell more stuff because it was priced too cheap. What king of logic is that? So she had her own. There was an old well used set of cordless phones (two handset model). She didn't price many of the things and someone asked her how much and she said $50. Lets just say it probably ended up at Goodwill in the end. You need to have everything priced, people usually won't ask and will just leave.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I deal with items I no longer need/want a variety of ways. Some I sell on craigslist or FB marketplace. Some I donate through pickup at my house (easy). Big Brother Big Sister, Epilepsy foundation and a veterans group in the area all offer free pickup service. My junk that is another mans treasure - I post for free on craigslist, works like a charm!

I once cleaned out my basement - the CL post went something like 2 pickup trucks worth of stuff, some good some not. Free, but must take all. I had a taker within 20 minutes. They were going to sort through the items for a church yard sale they were having.

An old weber grill - full of rust. Some guy drove 2 hours to come and pick up. It was a hobby of his to restore good grills.

About 30 used cans of paint/stain. Some guy with an email Tomshandyman came and took them all.

The best one, I had was 3 window AC units. My post clearly stated, they have been sitting in my basement for years, musty and I'm not sure if they run anymore. 2 guys drove 3 hours from NH to take them!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I find the Facebook Marketplace much easier than yard sale. I feel yard sales are too much work for what you get out of them. Craigsllst used to work well for us but no more. Seems Facebook now has taken over.
So far on Facebook Marketplace we have made under $2000 for things that cost thousands and thousands and were like new.

I did sell my car on Facebook marketplace last fall as well. Before that, Craigslist was always the best place for us to sell used cars.

Meanwhile, hubby put our broken 46 inch TV out at the end of the driveway in the rain to avoid paying Best Buy $25 to dispose of it. I told him he should not have done that. Who is going to want a broken TV that was in the pouring rain? Sure enough- the next day it was gone!

On another note, I just lowered the price on a lot of our things for sale that have been languishing. I was so sad to see our stand up shaker hall clock for $50. It was so beautiful- one of my most favorite pieces. I miss it terribly.

Most of the things not selling now are paintings. I will have to give them away. You can't believe what people haggle for. Like I have a $15 item that cost me $40 and they ask for it for $5! SMH......

I have an antique time punch clock. Had it listed for $350. Dropped it to $150. One guy offers $100. I say lets meet in the middle- $125. Says has to think about it. Never heard from him again.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I find the Facebook Marketplace much easier than yard sale. I feel yard sales are too much work for what you get out of them. Craigsllst used to work well for us but no more. Seems Facebook now has taken over.
So far on Facebook Marketplace we have made under $2000 for things that cost thousands and thousands and were like new.
Marketplace does work great for larger things and certain smaller things. THough for things like nicknacks and trinkets, those work better at a garage sale. Though I suppose those could just be donated for the price you would get for them. We sold nearly $3000 worth of stuff before moving down to Florida. Furniture moves very fast on Marketplace. THings like dressers, chests of drawers, book cases; they all sold within a day. The key is pricing them to move if you want them gone. My wife looked up what they would cost to buy new or what others were selling them for and priced them accordingly.

Most fo the things not selling now are paintings. I will have to give them away. You can't believe what people haggle for. Like I have a $15 item that cost me $40 and they ask for it for $5! SMH......
We had the same issue selling framed paintings/prints. They were some of the last things to go and we had to lower the price so low just to get rid of them. One that we bought about 15 years ago for $130 we ended up selling for $20. It was a huge print, but we knew we just wouldn't have a place for it after the move.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten

Bill
We've got Bose 501s from about 1975 as well as the accompanying receiver, turntable and—reel to reel tape deck!, all stored in our basement now. All were bought when husband was in the military and stationed in Europe. We didn't have a TV so really enjoyed listening to music, and of course buying stereo gear at cheap on base prices was the thing to do. Don't have a space for it now, but still sounds great.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On Saturday they managed to get about $100. This morning they got rid of alot of stuff and collected another $600. I was told that family members stopped by and helped themselves, which is a good thing , imo. One of the first things to go was the bicycle built for two. One of the Lonies rode off with her boy friend. It looked like he was doing most the pedaling, lol. They are still down there selling stuff.

Cleaning out the shop I found a few treasures I guess. The plug that hooked my oldest son's first salmon was behind a sander. The last full can of Bud Light that my best friend who passed about 15 years ago left in his snow mobile boot was found this morning. I wonder what 15 year old beer taste like. We will see because it is now in the fridge.

Bill

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I always give my artwork and other choice pieces to friends. I've enjoyed "visiting" my things over the years, and it's always brought great joy to my friends.