• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Chase Sapphire Reserve Travel Medical Coverage

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For many years, we had been buying travel insurance through Allianz whenever we travelled outside of the US. I did file one claim with Allianz last year when I fell sick during an April Transatlantic cruise which continued to worsen post-cruise in Italy until we flew home. They came through and paid all claims which I filed including medical and some non-refundable land excursions.

We evaluated our travel insurance coverage needs towards end of last year and decided to stop buying standalone travel insurance and instead go with a full medical and evacuation travel insurance, relying on Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR) to cover trip cancellations etc. We selected GeoBlue for medical and evacuation coverage.

We were back in Italy again this April, taking a cruise out of Rome (Civitavecchia) and while we were in Greece (Athens) waters, I had some sort of food poisoning which the cruise ship doctor gave me an injection and I was immediately better. We are not sure if it is from a piece of cake or ice-cream which I consumed that late afternoon on the ship or Greek lunch that we had while we were in Athens.

Anyway, I decided to file a claim with CSR instead of GeoBlue and they both have a $50 deductible. I spoke with my primary medical insurance provider and was told separately by 2 persons that my plan did not cover overseas travel. CSR indicated that they would not proceed with the claim until I sent in proof that my primary insurer would not pay. I went ahead and filed with my primary insurer and surprisingly they covered the injection and about half of the doctor's bill. I forwarded the claim payment information and CSR approved payment for my claim minus the $50.

Next time if I have an overseas medical claim, I will try GeoBlue to make sure they pay as promised as well. GeoBlue is supposed to coordinate claim with the primary insurer so hopefully it will be more straightfoward.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm confused.
(1) When you say, "my primary medical insurance provider," I guess that you're talking about some unnamed insurance that you had before GeoBlue?
(2) You seem to say that your claim was paid twice, once by your primary insurer ("they covered [all but] half of the doctor's bill") and again by CSR ("minus the $50"). So, the doctor was paid 1.5 times?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Primary Medical Insurance provider is whoever you have in your country. CSR requires that you claim against them first. They will pay the balance minus $50. The maximum oop is then $50 after all claims are paid.

GeoBlue Choice Trekker (for multi-trip) is for travel outside of US medical and evacuation coverage. It covers all pre-existing conditions and it requires you to have a primary health insurance provider in the US. When you file a claim against GeoBlue, they will also coordinate or rather subrogate against your primary health insurance provider on whatever the primary health insurance provider will pay. GeoBlue covers everything, up to an established limit, except for $50. GeoBlue is offered by the same parent company as Blue Cross Blue Shield, but your primary insurer does not need to be BCBS. GeoBlue actually outsources their international medical and evacuation coverage. The nice thing is that they have a network of providers where you can visit without needing to pay upfront and they will bill GeoBlue directly. The only gap is on a cruise ship, you will need to pay first and then file for reimbursement.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Sound like GeoBlue Choice Trekker coverage for medical is secondary? May I ask how much does it cost for annual travel insurance for this plan?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sound like GeoBlue Choice Trekker coverage for medical is secondary? May I ask how much does it cost for annual travel insurance for this plan?
It is considered primary because you only claim against them and they only cover international travel. You must have full health insurance in the US as a condition. It covers all pre-existing conditions. You can price it out on their website. It is dependent on the ages of the insured.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It is considered primary because you only claim against them and they only cover international travel. You must have full health insurance in the US as a condition. It covers all pre-existing conditions. You can price it out on their website. It is dependent on the ages of the insured.
So I looked up on Squaremouth.com. GeoBlue Choice Trekker annual plan has Emergency Medical coverage as secondary. Called and was confirmed that the travel insurance will cover either primary insurance's deductible or if primary declines coverage. In fact, all the annual plans offered on squaremouth are secondary coverage for medical.
Edited to add that I saw your explanations above. I guess we have the same understanding, just different terminologies primary vs secondary...a true primary coverage will not involve a third party, such as in the case reported here

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I looked up on Squaremouth.com. GeoBlue Choice Trekker annual plan has Emergency Medical coverage as secondary. Called and was confirmed that the travel insurance will cover either primary insurance's deductible or if primary declines coverage. In fact, all the annual plans offered on squaremouth are secondary coverage for medical.
Edited to add that I saw your explanations above. I guess we have the same understanding, just different terminologies primary vs secondary...a true primary coverage will not involve a third party, such as in the case reported here
Here is the website. They are the primary. I would not go through Squaremouth for this. You claim through Geoblue directly. Better still, they have a network of doctors and hospital available that bill them directly in every country and you don't not need to pay a dime upfront. Geoblue subrogates with your US health insurance carrier directly if coverage is applicable.

https://geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/multi-trip/trekker-5-overview.cfm

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Here is the website. They are the primary. I would not go through Squaremouth for this. You claim through Geoblue directly. Better still, they have a network of doctors and hospital available that bill them directly in every country and you don't not need to pay a dime upfront. Geoblue subrogates with your US health insurance carrier directly if coverage is applicable.

https://geobluetravelinsurance.com/products/multi-trip/trekker-5-overview.cfm
Live in New York State.
Not eligible
You are eligible for a HTH Travel Insurance Policy.
Based on your home state and plan choice, GeoBlue is unable to offer a policy option at this time. A recommended single-trip plan alternative is available to you through an affiliated brand, HTH Worldwide. HTH Worldwide has over 20 years of experience with providing global travelers with international health insurance and is a recognized leader for rich benefits and seamless customer experience for travelers