• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Enrolled Week exchanged for DC Points when I wanted Bonvoy Points!

vacationlover2

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I went online Saturday to trade my Manor Club for 100,000 bonvoy points. I specifically remember that it was definitely Bonvoy points because I was looking for Marriott Rewards points and noticed they were now called Bonvoy points. I go through with the transaction and all is fine...........so I thought.

Today I get an email that my destination points trade was successful. What? I didn't ask for those. I call Marriott Owner Services, who provides no service. They tell me the transaction is final. I tell them I didn't want destination points. They say I traded for Bonvoy points last year and couldn't do it again this year. I said then the system should tell me that, not give me something I didn't ask for!

A supervisor comes on and restates it's a final transaction. I restate that's not the transaction I made. She said she could put in a request to reinstate my week but it probably wouldn't be honored. WOW! What customer service!

So, if I am stuck with these points, how does it work in interval. I usually lock the week off and deposit to interval for 2 weeks. I feel like the destination points are a rip off. Anyone have any ideas on how best to use these?

Thanks!

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
You are just being bonvoyed like me. It happened so many times this year. I have to check everyday on my points balance, reservations, promo, FN certfication, expiration dates, etc... You will not believe what happened to me this year with Marriott if I put the list out.

NJDave

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, if I am stuck with these points, how does it work in interval. I usually lock the week off and deposit to interval for 2 weeks. I feel like the destination points are a rip off. Anyone have any ideas on how best to use these?

Thanks!

If you don't have a use for the points, you can easily rent / "sell" the one time use of the destination points. The going rate is around 60 cents per point. If you price them lower, you will rent them quickly. I use the following site when I have extra points or need points.

https://vacationpointexchange.com/

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
So I went online Saturday to trade my Manor Club for 100,000 bonvoy points. I specifically remember that it was definitely Bonvoy points because I was looking for Marriott Rewards points and noticed they were now called Bonvoy points. I go through with the transaction and all is fine...........so I thought.

Today I get an email that my destination points trade was successful. What? I didn't ask for those. I call Marriott Owner Services, who provides no service. They tell me the transaction is final. I tell them I didn't want destination points. They say I traded for Bonvoy points last year and couldn't do it again this year. I said then the system should tell me that, not give me something I didn't ask for!

A supervisor comes on and restates it's a final transaction. I restate that's not the transaction I made. She said she could put in a request to reinstate my week but it probably wouldn't be honored. WOW! What customer service!

Thanks!

If you in fact pressed for BONVOY points, there should have been a verification that you w inverting to Bonvoy points shortly after your selection. Nevertheless, Marriott should be able to see you initial selection and know if you pushed Bonvoy or Destinations points. I would take it to the next level to have it resolved to your satisfaction.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Marriott records all calls. Tell them to go to the tape if they don't believe you and refuse to fix the issue.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Marriott records all calls. Tell them to go to the tape if they don't believe you and refuse to fix the issue.

It was done online, not a phone call. Converting to Bonvoy points is a different line/option from electing DC points. My guess is that OP did not realize that a wrong selection was made. Since most weeks only allow every other year Bonvoy points election, converting to Bonvoy points would not be an option anyway.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
If you in fact pressed for BONVOY points, there should have been a verification that you w inverting to Bonvoy points shortly after your selection. Nevertheless, Marriott should be able to see you initial selection and know if you pushed Bonvoy or Destinations points. I would take it to the next level to have it resolved to your satisfaction.
I doubt Marriott has the want/expertise to log every click on the website? I actually doubt many regular websites could or does do this, beyond those that are specifically geared toward tracking clicks.

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, if I am stuck with these points, how does it work in interval. I usually lock the week off and deposit to interval for 2 weeks.

Thanks!

You can have Marriott convert those destination points into a week and deposit it into interval, but you can’t exchange it into a Marriott resort. Probably not the most valuable option, but since you were not planning to use this week for an MVC trip you might want to explore it.
Log onto your MVC site and go under points and select interval international to see what your DC points will get you. Also under points you can click on explorer collection to see what else you can do with the DC points besides stay at MVC resorts.

Good luck- hope it works out for you.

Last edited:

NboroGirl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
How many DC points did you get (that would be equivilent to 100,000 Bonvoy points)? Just curious.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
How many DC points did you get (that would be equivilent to 100,000 Bonvoy points)? Just curious.

An enrolled Week can be exchanged EITHER for the amount of Bonvoy Points stipulated at the time of the original purchase OR the amount of DC Points stipulated at the time of enrollment. Across the system there's no correlation between those two Points values (meaning for example that every Week with a 100,000 Bonvoy Points allotment won't exchange to the same allotment of DC Points) and it's important to note that DC Points obtained from converting an Enrolled Week CAN'T then be exchanged to Bonvoy Points. (DC Trust Points are a different story - they can be exchanged for Bonvoy Points at a rate of 1 DC Point = 40 Bonvoy Points, subject to limits based on status tiers.)

Every transaction done online is at least a two-step process with pop-ups asking if you're sure you want to do whatever transaction is selected, and when you click through the final one then immediately the owned inventory you're designating for other use is removed from the owner pool. It doesn't make any sense to me to blame Marriott for being unable to reverse every single incorrect transaction when they give you fair warning. But they have been known to work with owners on a one-time basis, usually with the solution that Pamplemousse mentioned above, a replacement II week. OP, I hope they can do that for you.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Keep in mind, you can also bank the DC points forward a year (or more based on ownership status) and use them in a future year, or borrow them back and use them now if you wish.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Its hard for me to replicate, because we've used our weeks and points for next year. But seems the website is not very clear. When I clicked "Trade for Marriott Rewards" it took me to the convert to DC page and didn't give me an option for Bonvoy-probably because I didn't have any options available. My guess is that the OP wasn't given Bonvoy option because they did points last year, but assumed they were doing that since the system gave them a choice-which was really DC points. It should just say you are not eligible to do this for consecutive years.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your DC points are worth significantly more than the Bonvoy points if you use them strategically. If you use them for Sunday-Thursday stays you can get a great value. Same thing if you travel shoulder season. You can go to Grande Ocean for five nights in the summer for 2250 points or 1750 in the fall. You can stay a full week at Harbor Point for 1225 points. Look at the points chart referenced above to see what you can get.

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
Your DC points are worth significantly more than the Bonvoy points if you use them strategically. If you use them for Sunday-Thursday stays you can get a great value. Same thing if you travel shoulder season. You can go to Grande Ocean for five nights in the summer for 2250 points or 1750 in the fall. You can stay a full week at Harbor Point for 1225 points. Look at the points chart referenced above to see what you can get.

I def agree with this. For example, our Phuket gold week is only with 55K MR points. Thats crazy. I can buy 50K MR points for $625.00. We can do so much more with DC point value.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2

Exactly, good info Big Matt.
Or try 7 nights at Grande Ocean in January for 825 pts, or 7 nights at Harbor Point in January for 400 pts.
Amazing deals in January and Feb at Hilton Head resorts. And the island is not dead by any means.....
There is really no "off-season" there anymore, and many resorts are near capacity. And the restaurant scene is great...
lots of discounted meals and BOGOs. Weather can be cold, cool, and even sunny and pleasant.....
very iffy but a whole lot of people enjoy visiting that time of year. We go for 2 weeks in Jan, and 2 weeks in Feb,
again in April and 6 weeks in and around June, and we never tire of it.
We've grown to love Jan & Feb every bit as much as any other month.

Regarding the OP's decision to opt for Rewards Points (Bonvoy Points), I believe it's the poorest choice, UNLESS the owner is trying to accumulate points for a big-point vacation package where points will fund it. Just to opt for points for convenience
provides the lowest options and value otherwise...for example, two nights at a nice hotel (50,000 points per night) only give you
in return two nights when you turned in the week of seven nights. The actual DC points given, if that option is exercised,
can be vastly more significant, but it depends on the resort & week number as to how many points given. Big difference.
I still believe the DC point option is the best alternative, and there are many great resorts to utilize those in a better way.

Last edited:

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We also own Manor Club and trading it for DC points is what I do. It’s a poor exchange for DC points but it still beats renting points from someone else. 2019 cost per point was $.58.

I can take those points and go to any MVC property. Last year I was able to take 2019 points and reserve 2 units at Harbor Point for 7/4 week. I have an agreement with a good friend that I’ll make her reservations at $.65/point since that’s what my supplier charges when I go to him for more points (I said she was a Good friend). It’s a wash for me but again, it’s a good friend. You come out a tad ahead. You can decide if you want to charge your friends more for your time and trouble. I’ve already made this friend a reservation in a 3 bd oceanfront for Spring Break 2020 at OP. It’s a graduation trip for her youngest.

My friend went to HHI but we ended up cancelling our room. My DD is expecting and summer HHI wasn’t a good idea for someone 8 months along.

Last minute DH and I decided to take a 7/4 DC points reservation from another friend who had reserved a 1 bd at Ocean Pointe. He charged me roughly $.85 a point. Not a bad deal and he had his time invested in securing it. I had DC points to use but couldn’t find last minute availability.

Depending on the level you’re at in the DC you can find nice value for your DC points. If you need to add a bit more to them you can do like others said and get them from another owner.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you don't have a use for the points, you can easily rent / "sell" the one time use of the destination points. The going rate is around 60 cents per point. If you price them lower, you will rent them quickly. I use the following site when I have extra points or need points.

https://vacationpointexchange.com/
So I can get almost $5k for an enrolled platinum plus week with 8000 points?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
So I can get almost $5k for an enrolled platinum plus week with 8000 points?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Yes, at 60 cents per point you will get about $4,800.

Note; You may have to rent them to multiple lessees in order to get this amount. i.e. one person may want 2,000 points and someone else may want 3,000 points, another 1,000 points, etc.