• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NEWPORT, OR

timesharer

Reaction score
We will be staying at a resort at Newport in Oregon for a week at the end of July.
Would you please suggest some nearby sightseeing activities, scenic areas, attractions
and where to take pictures of wildlife?

Also, which route would you suggest we drive from the Portland airport to Newport, Oregon?
According to Goggle maps, the 2 recommended routes take about the same time.

Thank you in advance for your help!

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I think anything along the coast is much more interesting that I-5 but that will probably take more time.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
If you're driving directly from the airport, and just need to "get there," then taking either of the routes on the map below will work. The highlighted angled route through McMinnville takes you through some more interesting farm country scenery, past some excellent Willamette Valley wineries, and then along the coast to Newport. (That's the route we take when we drive down to Newport, unless we're driving all the way down the coast from Astoria, which takes a long time due to surface streets and city stoplights.) The one thing about this route I'd change is to stay on I-205 from the airport and join the angled route near Tualatin. It skips a lot of the Portand urban traffic, and can seriously slow you down. The alternate route below takes you down the I-5 freeway, then cuts over on Hwy 20 to Newport - less interesting visually, although the Hwy 20 section is through some winding mountains - pretty scenery, but any RVs in front of you can slow you down a lot. Scenic in a different way, and it's only a little faster on paper.

Newport is far enough from Portland that you will have some driving to do, no matter which way you choose.

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 2.47.06 PM.png

Have fun!
Dave

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
I suggest staying on I-5 to Salem and taking Highway 22 across to 18. The area SW of Portland has grown considerably and while the recommended reroute at Tualatin used to be a good dodge, it's become too crowded with too many stoplights. Leave I-5 on the north edge of Salem and follow 99 south and watch for the turn to 22; it comes up quickly and is easy to be in the wrong lane. Once past that portion, it's pretty smooth sailing to the coast.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
^^^ Good to know. Thanks, Sue. As you mention it, I do remember a lot of stoplights, last time we drove that, about five years ago. Probably more crowded than ever now.

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Are you staying at Schooner Landing? You might want to call and check on your Reservation. This is most likely do to Cliff erosion.

Here is that letter:
Dear Schooner Landing Owners

A new chapter in the life of Schooner Landing is upon us. As your Board, it is our role as fiduciaries to oversee all aspects of the operation of Schooner Landing. There have been many questions and concerns regarding Building #5. In fact, for public safety reasons two units in Building #5 have not been available for occupancy for several months. The Board decided to engage a structural engineer to conduct a comprehensive inspection of Building #5.

Based upon the results of the inspection report, the recommendation of the structural engineer, and in consultation with the Association’s legal counsel, the Board has determined Building #5 needs to be closed for public safety reasons. The Staff has been directed to close Building #5 as soon as possible and no later than July 12, 2019.

This is not a decision that was made lightly and we realize that this may seem very abrupt to our Owners. The decision is based on putting the health and safety of our Owners and guests first and foremost. The Board will be exploring all options for Building #5 and we will be providing you with additional information in the near future and at the next annual meeting.

We anticipate you may have some questions concerning this matter. We ask that you do not question the resort staff regarding Building #5 since they do not have any information concerning Building #5. We do not want our Owners to be unintentionally misinformed about Building #5. Please direct any questions you may have concerning Building #5 to Mike Lewis at (541) 265-4293.

Please note some of your reservations will be affected by this change. Please contact Mike Lewis, resort manager, to discuss options. Please be patient if he does not get back to you right away. We anticipate many calls regarding this decision.

Our intent is to be responsive to your questions, however, please remember we are a volunteer Board and we all have other responsibilities and obligations.

timesharer

Reaction score
I suggest staying on I-5 to Salem and taking Highway 22 across to 18. The area SW of Portland has grown considerably and while the recommended reroute at Tualatin used to be a good dodge, it's become too crowded with too many stoplights. Leave I-5 on the north edge of Salem and follow 99 south and watch for the turn to 22; it comes up quickly and is easy to be in the wrong lane. Once past that portion, it's pretty smooth sailing to the coast.

Thank you for your suggestion. Should I get on 99E at I-5 & Chemawa Rd NE. Do I understand your directions correctly?
Salem.png

Comparing this route to staying on I-5 all the way to Albany then Hwy 20 to Corvallis and continuing on to the coast, how much longer in minutes do you think the route you suggested would take? <30 minutes?

Are you staying at Schooner Landing? You might want to call and check on your Reservation. This is most likely do to Cliff erosion.

We will be staying at another resort. Thank you for the warning about Schooner Landing.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
I think the fastest route is to take I5 to south of Albany ( I believe Exit 228) Hwy 34. Then take Hwy 34 into Corvallis. Hwy 34 and Hwy 20 will combine in Corvallis. Then at the West End of Philomath they will split. Hwy 34 will go to Newport. Hwy 20 will go to Waldport. We enjoy Newport. There is the Beach, the Aquarium, etc, etc. North of Newport is Depoe Bay. A little south of Depoe Bay is Rocky Creek State View Point. This is a good place (along with Depoe Bay) to see the local whales that hang around for the summer. We enjoy The Horn Public House and Brewery in Depoe Bay. Go upstairs.There is the Yaquina Head Lighthouse. We like Local Ocean Seafood in Newport. Almost everyone goes to Mo's and you should at least once. Eat in the one on the Bayfront. There are so many small Oregon Parks and wayside along the Oregon Coast. You can spend years exploring them all.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
Which resort are you staying at? If the Embarcadero, then Geist's is the best option. Highway 20 comes in from the east and you avoid driving through Newport or Lincoln City on 101: both are pains. If the WM's at Depoe Bay or Gleneden or the Lincoln City timeshares, the option through Salem is better. It also depends on which day and time. Dave's original suggestion is the shortest mileage and Geist's the longest with a 10 mile difference. Mine is in between. The real difference is traffic. There's an area south of Portland that always seems to have a traffic jam without any visible reason.

Sue